Sony Claims NGP Will Be "Affordable"

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Sony Claims NGP Will Be "Affordable"

How much to charge for the NGP has been a concern since the project began, says Sony.

While it isn't tripping over itself to talk numbers, Sony is keen to reassure people that the NGP - the newly announced, and long rumored, follow up to the PSP - won't cost an arm and a leg.

Sony Europe boss Andrew House said that he couldn't talk in exact figures - not even ballpark figures - but said that the NGP would be "affordable", and would have a price point in line with the rest of the mobile gaming sector. Shuhei Yoshida, head of Sony Worldwide Studios, also didn't talk in exact numbers, although he joked that the NGP would definitely cost less than $600.

Yoshida said that the price point for the NGP has been a concern for Sony since work began on the project began in 2008. He hoped that when Sony eventually did reveal the price, consumers would recognize the value it represented. It's rumored that Sony will sell the NGP at a loss, but House said that after its experience with loss leader hardware in the past, it was hopeful that it could sell the NGP at a profit.

House's and Yoshida's comments make it sound like Sony is still trying to decide how much to charge for the NGP. With all the technology packed into the device, it's almost certainly expensive to make, so it really comes down to how much of a loss Sony is willing to take. Selling it at a competitive price compared to the 3DS and the iPhone would help Sony shift units, but also means that it will take more software sales to make any money from the platform.

Source: Eurogamer and Game Informer

Meh, at least it has two analog sticks and nice graphics, but from what I saw it is full of gimmicky shit. Has anyone here saw the Uncharted video? The rope climbing is just awfully retarded.

Logan Westbrook:

House's and Yoshida's comments make it sound like Sony is still trying to decide how much to charge for the NGP. With all the technology packed into the device, it's almost certainly expensive to make, so it really comes down to how much of a loss Sony is willing to take. Selling it at a competitive price compared to the 3DS and the iPhone would help Sony shift units, but also means that it will take more software sales to make any money from the platform.

I don't really see the point in Sony trying to compete with Nintendo/Apple on their grounds. They have a vastly different following than Sony's, or Microsofts for that matter. They've sold 65 million PSP's, which means there's definitely a following for their handhelds. This handheld addresses multiple consumer issues with their previous handheld, while improving everything across the board, and adding some ingenuity to the mix. Seems like a very nice piece of hardware, one that I'd most certainly like to own.

I'm honestly expecting a $250 price point. 300 would be really pushing it.

And for any console, a majority of its profits will come from software sales, not hardware. Though, what might really hurt sales of the NGP is the lack of true backwards compatibility. I know I'm not quite too keen on the system due to the lack of it. I have a healthy library of PSP games, and none of which are digital (for obvious reasons) so its more of a con for me that they are switching to a flash-cart medium.

"He hoped that when Sony eventually did reveal the price, consumers would recognize the value it represented."

......Right, that pretty much means their going to sell it at a premium, this is the excuse that Sony always makes when they're products end up being more expensive than the competition =\

I have never before even considered getting a handheld gaming device..

but now im actually starting to consider it.. And having analog sticks aswell might give a better feeling of an actual gaming experience worth having..

Hope its not shitloads expensive..

If this thing can let me take Marvel Vs. Capcom 3 from my PS3 to the sidewalk, I'll pay up to $250 for it. Otherwise, fuck no.

I'd probably pay 150-200 pounds for one of these, if the games were good and it had backwards compatibility with my current psp games... but I may have to wait for it to come down in price a bit if it's more. I really enjoyed my psp til it broke, and if they can increase battery life as well as putting in a second analog stick I might just be getting excited for this.

Yay. Although I hope that this isn't some PR bullshit, and it ends up costing me an arm and a leg.

Yes Sony, once again, I am looking at you. =_=

Still want it though... ¬_¬

I'm going to predict at the very least $300. A touch screen, a touch pad and enough graphics capability to output PS3-level graphics? It's going to cost quite a bit of wonga.

Logan Westbrook:
Shuhei Yoshida, head of Sony Worldwide Studios, also didn't talk in exact numbers, although he joked that the NGP would definitely cost less than $600.

This just in, NGP priced at $599.95. Shuhei Yoshida commented, "See, under $600!"

€300 is as far as I'm willing to go, and only if the games are really good.

Is that affordable "because you'll want to get a second job just to afford one" affordable, or normal, every day affordable?

After the love-HATE relationship I had with the PSP, it's going to take a very very strong lineup of games to bring me back.
They finally addressed the control issue. Good job Sony! It only took you SIX FUCKING YEARS to make an adjustment people were complaining about since day one!

Though given how the entire game market is contracting by genre (more funds are proportionally going to huge releases like Halo, CoD4.3, etc), I'm curious (or worried) that there won't be anything on the NGP but shitty tie-ins and ports of mediocre mainstream games on it.
Lets hope this is not true.

So its both packed full of features and powerful hardware and its affordable? I await a catch (apart from battery life)

josemlopes:
Meh, at least it has two analog sticks and nice graphics, but from what I saw it is full of gimmicky shit. Has anyone here saw the Uncharted video? The rope climbing is just awfully retarded.

I'm really hoping there's an option to use the left stick. Not only because using the pad like that looks stupid, the way you have to hold it to do that action looks deadly for what will no doubt be an expensive device. I don't want to risk dropping it every time Drake has to climb a rope.

Logan Westbrook:
although he joked that the NGP would definitely cost less than $600.

you heard it here first, folks!! $599 for the NGP!!! :P

Truly-A-Lie:

josemlopes:

I'm really hoping there's an option to use the left stick. Not only because using the pad like that looks stupid, the way you have to hold it to do that action looks deadly for what will no doubt be an expensive device. I don't want to risk dropping it every time Drake has to climb a rope.

From IGNs hand on preview with the device, they got to play Uncharted on it and you could use either the touch pad OR the Second stick. The touch screen/pad, and axis control and all that are just alternative control functions that may or may not be used in innovative ways. Guarantee that you'll have the option to go with whatever control scheme fits the game best for you.

josemlopes:

Yeah I saw it. It made me laugh because right about the time I was thinking to myself "That is awfully unintuitive" during the rope climbing, the voice over comes on and says that it is intuitive. Read my mind all you want video, but making me massage the back of the system isn't as easy as using the joystick, and in fact serves more to remind me it's a game than it does to draw me in.

Anyway, about price: it's going to be expensive no matter what. All that remains to be seen is how much so. But after reading all the comments about the 3DS' price, I can't wait until Sony tells us how much PSP2- sorry, "NGP"- will cost. Those should be some funny comments.

-Zen-:
If this thing can let me take Marvel Vs. Capcom 3 from my PS3 to the sidewalk, I'll pay up to $250 for it. Otherwise, fuck no.

$250? I lol'd. This thing is bound to start at or around at least $400. My advice to anyone would be to wait a year or two on the new generation of handhelds...they're going to be overpriced and the battery life is going to be way under par on release.

Sony pretty much HAVE to make it cheaper than the 3DS or at least the Ipad to get anywhere however. Look at what happened to the PS3.

Although after the PSP I refuse to pay anything more than £80 for one. So that's a pretty darn low amount they have to be charging for it.

-Seraph-:
From IGNs hand on preview with the device, they got to play Uncharted on it and you could use either the touch pad OR the Second stick. The touch screen/pad, and axis control and all that are just alternative control functions that may or may not be used in innovative ways. Guarantee that you'll have the option to go with whatever control scheme fits the game best for you.

Oh that's good. Not unlike early Sixaxis intergration then. I imagine there'll be games that make great use of those features, but I'd rather they weren't crammed into games like Uncharted. When the PSP2/NGP gets its echochromes and its Flowers that do unconventional things, then the unconventional controls will be fine.

Prepare to be pushed. I don't see this thing for less than $399, maybe even $499.

300-400 range I say, other wise at least tis better than the 3DS

Logan Westbrook:

Shuhei Yoshida, head of Sony Worldwide Studios, also didn't talk in exact numbers, although he joked that the NGP would definitely cost less than $600.

So it's gonna be $599.99?

Joke aside, the price of it doesn't matter right now, I love my PSP and I'm definitely going to pick this up, sure it seems that it's picked up a few gimmicks from Nintendo and Apple, but I'm really interested in some of the games they'll be putting out and how the control scheme will be with the rear mounted track pad.

Of course it's not going to be $600!

It's going to be $599

If sony sells it for less then 400 dollar they will impress me(and i might think better of there marketing). If not they just proved my opinion about them.

Also i wanna see the specs on how long the battery last with every on full/high. If it is better then the 3 to 5 hours for the 3DS i will praise is if it is the same or worse i am soooo gonna laugh my ass of.

Honestly my negative view of life sees it being priced at 499 dollar honestly(they still can say at least it is below 600).

Mornelithe:
They've sold 65 million PSP's

That gets disappeared in EVERY write up regarding the PSP. It's almost a dirty little secret in the gaming press from what I can gather. Some pundits insist on calling 65 million in sales a "failure".

So, just saying thanks for noticing. I really hate being alone when I see stuff.

SaintWaldo:

Mornelithe:

That gets disappeared in EVERY write up regarding the PSP. It's almost a dirty little secret in the gaming press from what I can gather. Some pundits insist on calling 65 million in sales a "failure".

So, just saying thanks for noticing. I really hate being alone when I see stuff.

It annoys the crap out of me too. People have this stupid tendency to think that just because it isn't number 1, it's automatically considered inferior, a failure, or what have you.

I never expect this thing to ever beat out Nintendo in terms of sales, but that doesn't mean it cannot be a good gaming system in its own right and still be successful.

SaintWaldo:

Mornelithe:

-Seraph-:
It annoys the crap out of me too. People have this stupid tendency to think that just because it isn't number 1, it's automatically considered inferior, a failure, or what have you.

I never expect this thing to ever beat out Nintendo in terms of sales, but that doesn't mean it cannot be a good gaming system in its own right and still be successful.

People seem to easily forget that just a short time ago, video gaming was considered the realm of the nerd, closet geek and [insert societally shunning stereotypical label here]. And that, really, very few gaming rigs in general have sold in the 10's of millions in their history. And before that? Computer geeks.

65 Million is nowhere near a failure. It doesn't matter how much the competition has sold when you have that many people onboard.

Looks good to me. Its gonna have 3g AND play high quality games, even some ps3 games and those high quality MGS 2 and 3 games their importing. Im getting it.

lol people carry around ipads, ill gladly whip this baby out. Sucks though, i need to get a new one since my cat peed on mine, been procrastinating for a year to get one, and when i do, they announce this thing, DAM YOU im always a gen behind....

Touchpad on the back...thats interesting. Not touch screen, but you can still touch where you want. Interesting idea....

there's no way that thing is selling for ANYTHING less than $300. Heck, I think it'll be lucky to make that even if they're willing to take a loss with the NGP. All I see is the DS/PSP scenario all over again and I don't see it working out for them.

Mornelithe:

SaintWaldo:

Mornelithe:

-Seraph-:

People seem to easily forget that just a short time ago, video gaming was considered the realm of the nerd, closet geek and [insert societally shunning stereotypical label here]. And that, really, very few gaming rigs in general have sold in the 10's of millions in their history. And before that? Computer geeks.

65 Million is nowhere near a failure. It doesn't matter how much the competition has sold when you have that many people onboard.

And I guess I'll join in on that, yes it is annoying when people forget that. The PSP was nowhere near as successful as the DS, but of course everything is going to look like they've failed compared to the sales numbers of the DS. 65 million is very impressive in it's own right, and it's great that Nintendo has some competition via a successful competitor.

OT: I'd guess this would be around the $300 range. It's certainly a bigger upgrade than the PSP Go, which was dead on arrival, so a slightly pricy point could be understandable if undesirable. I'm being cautiously optimistic with this as I'm not much of a handheld gamer, but we'll see...

Jumplion:

Mornelithe:

SaintWaldo:

-Seraph-:

And I guess I'll join in on that, yes it is annoying when people forget that. The PSP was nowhere near as successful as the DS, but of course everything is going to look like they've failed compared to the sales numbers of the DS. 65 million is very impressive in it's own right, and it's great that Nintendo has some competition via a successful competitor.

Basically, it's kind of like Sega vs. Nintendo back in the Early 90's. Back then, Nintendo and Sega were neck and neck competitors: The Genesis vs. Super Nintendo (Mega Drive vs. Super Famicom) both sold very well. However, Nintendo out sold Sega by only 9 Million units (Sega sold 40 Million Units, Nintendo sold 49.10 Million Units). While 40 Million Units is still a spectacle, it's not as big a spectacle as the 49.10 Clown Tap Dancing over the Super Nintendo. The same thing can be said about the DS vs. PSP: While 60 Million Units is not a failure, it is a failure compared to 165 Million Units.

OT: I don't care if the NGP is affordable, Nintendo Consoles have never steered me wrong (Not even the Wii), and Since the 3DS has several awesome games coming out, as well as several games I can buy on the Wii Store and play on my thing, I am gonna stick with that. Plus, 3D without glasses sounds awesome!

Mr.Mattress:
OT: I don't care if the NGP is affordable, Nintendo Consoles have never steered me wrong (Not even the Wii), and Since the 3DS has several awesome games coming out, as well as several games I can buy on the Wii Store and play on my thing, I am gonna stick with that. Plus, 3D without glasses sounds awesome!

Well, I hope you enjoy your 3DS then. Personally, I've just never been able to get into any Nintendo console, both the Wii and DS were impulse buys when I saw everyone else around me get one to. Mind you, I'm not too excited for the PSP2/NGP either, but it does strike me as more up my alley so I'll be keeping a watch on it. I guess I'm just a Sony fanboy at heart :P

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here