Bulletstorm Dev Denies "Always On" DRM Rumor

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Bulletstorm Dev Denies "Always On" DRM Rumor

People Can Fly Creative Director Adrian Chmielarz says there's no truth to EA's statement that Bulletstorm DRM will require a persistent internet connection.

Destructoid recently dug up something interesting on EA's PC games disclosures website, an exciting online hotspot where you can read "EULAs and other disclosures" for the publisher's current and future game releases. According to the first line of disclosure for the digital versions of Bulletstorm, "Persistent internet connection and acceptance of end user license agreement required to play." It all sounds very Ubisoft and, as you might guess, didn't go over well with gamers.

Fortunately, Chmielarz quickly leaped into the fray with a strong denial. "F*cking Internets... No, Bulletstorm PC does not require any constant connection, only for install and for online play (duh!)," he wrote on Twitter a few hours after the Destructoid report.

"BTW, Internets," he added in a second tweet a bit later, presumably after he had the chance to cool down. "You had the right and reason to be worried. I was just all emo because once you explode, the fire's hard to contain."

EA hasn't yet released an official statement clearing up the matter but as Blue's pointed out, the Bulletstorm EULA (PDF format) makes no reference to a persistent connection, saying only that the game is protected by "Zero Day Piracy Protection" and "Server Side Authentication," both of which require a one-time net connection to enter and authenticate the serial code.

"We're investigating wtf happened," Chmielarz said. "Persons responsible will be set on fire and shot in the balls for extra points."

Bulletstorm comes out on February 22 for the PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.

I just hope they don't go on with this stupid DRM

That's good to here. Actually that's marvelous news! I highly approve of this.

Had a good laugh with Chmierlarz's statements, most company reps should talk like that with video games

Well, this made me a bit more happy. Seems like Bulletstorm will regain quite a lot of those buyers who promised not to buy it. Good for them, good for the players, good for everyone.
Good news.

Im not a PC gamer ut I am still glad that people can fly/ epic games are not going over the top with DRM.

Also I laughed when I read the last line

"We're investigating wtf happened," Chmielarz. "Persons responsible will be set on fire and shot in the balls for extra points."

I love this guy sooooo much right now.

I just hope you don't have to log onto EA online every 5 seconds like i did in Burnout Paradise. We get it EA, you like to pretend you have an online service, can we just cut the crap and play our games now?

"Persons responsible will be set on fire and shot in the balls for extra points."

Somebody has been spending too much time developing games...

But I love the comment.

Still not too fond of requiring an internet connection to activate a game.

It saddens me that it has become the new standard.

Irridium:

very truthful words !

dududf:
"We're investigating wtf happened," Chmielarz. "Persons responsible will be set on fire and shot in the balls for extra points."

I love this guy sooooo much right now.

People can fly seem to live in this awesome parallel universe bubble where Quake II, the Duke and UT 2004 are still the major blueprint for FPS and angsty complaining about fo-realism never happened.

He had me at F"cking internets

=3

"I was just all emo because once you explode, the fire's hard to contain."
If this is your emo Chmielarz, you should explode more often.

Irridium:

Yup, and pretty soon we will all be downloading games and playing games off the internet ENTIRELY.

Sad,true.

I for one, wish more official statements contained this little doublespeak and this many expletives. It would make communication much more simple.

It's been said before, but that last line was gold.

Irridium:

Hey, what happened to your awesome dancing avatar?

That's..... quite a statement.

they still havent denied the games for windows live statement.
I'm still suspicious as such.

fuck i love that man. i love how unlike every other dev, hes talking 1337sp3ak and swearing.

bahumat42:
they still havent denied the games for windows live statement.
I'm still suspicious as such.

GFWL is the reason i quit Dead Rising 2 besides that little prick waiting for rare as hell medicine and the lack of checkpoints

I'm so torn on Bulletstorm. On one hand, I'm a huge Painkiller fan, love People Can Fly and I was locked into this one the moment I heard about it. But Epic has oversold the douchebag meathead angle SO much that I've actually rounded the corner and my interest is slipping. At this stage, I really want a demo.

That said, I still love PCF and it'll probably be an awesome shooter. It's just a pity that Epic had to "help" with marketing, especially when Adrian is so clearly capable of handling things on his own.

Andy Chalk:
I'm so torn on Bulletstorm. On one hand, I'm a huge Painkiller fan, love People Can Fly and I was locked into this one the moment I heard about it. But Epic has oversold the douchebag meathead angle SO much that I've actually rounded the corner and my interest is slipping. At this stage, I really want a demo.

That said, I still love PCF and it'll probably be an awesome shooter. It's just a pity that Epic had to "help" with marketing, especially when Adrian is so clearly capable of handling things on his own.

What tore me was the demo. I hope the campaign is significantly better than that Echoes mode...

Andy Chalk:

Same, although what really did it for me was the demo. It just wasn't that good. Hopefully the game is better, but its no longer a day-1 purchase for me. I'll probably get it when it drops in price though.

Which is a shame, because I was really looking forward to it.

Outright Villainy:
It's been said before, but that last line was gold.

Irridium:

Hey, what happened to your awesome dancing avatar?

He's on break.

Mmhmm

Irridium:

Most people who will buy this game will have an internet conection, whats the big deal? And if they dont they can just get the consle verson.

Daemascus:

Irridium:

Most people who will buy this game will have an internet conection, whats the big deal? And if they dont they can just get the consle verson.

If I had a nickel for every time I heard that...

It doesn't matter if most have an internet connection, or if they can buy it on a console. Its the principal of the thing that matters. This system shows that developers/publishers don't trust you, and think your a pirate. All this DRM does is punish paying customers, usually the ones who are least likely to pirate(those with bad internet connections).

Its stupid, and as someone who doesn't have a good internet connection and buys games new every chance he gets, its damn insulting.

Andy Chalk:

"We're investigating wtf happened," Chmielarz said. "Persons responsible will be set on fire and shot in the balls for extra points."

i would say that is a reasonable way of punishing people

but i can see why he got so angry, after all,if its in the "internet" its not a rumor, and if the internet wants, they could ruin the whole work they had put to get Bulletstorm in the hype that has now

Daemascus:
[quote="Irridium" post="7.261664.9863285"]Most people who will buy this game will have an internet conection, whats the big deal? And if they dont they can just get the consle verson.

The trouble with "most people" statements like that is that it leaves out all the people who aren't "most people." And that can represent a lot of people. Online activations may be the best compromise between security and accessibility, but it sure ain't perfect.

fantastic news. but here i thought this was just a very expensive Gears3 beta key.

Awesome statements. Finally a game that is just about senseless killing and doing it as awesome as possible too.

*clap* *clap*

I love this guy right about now, not only because he is the bearer of good news but also because he manages to make informal text speak sound awesome.

Way to talk to the fans...

And I call bullshit - my friend can't play the singleplayer demo because it requires active XBL gold membership. So yeah not needing constant internet connection my ass...

Irridium:

reading is fundemental

"According to the first line of disclosure for the digital versions of Bulletstorm, "Persistent internet connection and acceptance of end user license agreement required to play." It all sounds very Ubisoft and, as you might "

Every time this guy opens his mouth, my hand inches closer to my wallet.

If only every game director would talk like that.

Kukakkau:
Way to talk to the fans...

And I call bullshit - my friend can't play the singleplayer demo because it requires active XBL gold membership. So yeah not needing constant internet connection my ass...

I've just started the demo, once while disconnected from Live on my Gold account and again while disconnected with a Silver alt account. Both times it lets me play the game. Did he download it himself on his Xbox? I could imagine a license problem if it wasn't downloaded on the console he's trying to play it on but it certainly doesn't need an active connection to play the demo.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here