China's Knockoff Gundam Gets a Hideous Makeover

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

China's Knockoff Gundam Gets a Hideous Makeover

The good news: China's knockoff life-sized Gundam statue no longer looks like a Gundam. The bad news: Now it just looks ugly.

A recap: First, an amusement part in China's Sichuan province built an ugly orange replica of Japan's awesome life-sized Gundam statue. Then, when the amusement park was called out on it, it took the statue down and pretended the statue had never existed.

Well, now it's back, and it has been extensively remodeled so that it no longer looks like a Gundam. Spikes and tubes have been added all over the place, the joints are different, and it's now apparently running on nuclear power. Wait a minute: Shoulder spikes and a weird extended nose with head tubing? It might not be a Gundam anymore, but now it bears more than a few similarities to the MS-07B Gouf.

Of course, superficial similarities aside, it doesn't really look that much like the Gouf anymore. In fact, it doesn't really look like that much of anything.

It's just hideous. If this is China's idea of what awesome fighting robots should look like, I don't think we have any reason to fear an invasion of stylish yet cheaply-mass-produced Chinese mecha anytime soon.

(Livedoor.jp via Kotaku)

Yellow is definitely not it's color. China should stick to childrens toys with dangerous chemicals in them, leave the mechs to Japan.

Uh... Wow. What can you say to this... Monstrosity?

Granted, I didn't like the look of a Gundam either, but this is just... Ouch.

Still looks like a Gundam.

But a Gundam designed by little kids who like yellow and think that spikes are cool!

Awesome stuff from Japan.
Mass produced ugly stuff from China.

Yep, nothing has changed.

What have they done?! That monstrosity must be killed!

My student recently did a research project on Real-G (The 1:1 Gundam in Japan). He was devastated when he saw this. Rightfully so. This is disgraceful.

Still waiting for the huge Kamina statue from TTGL to be built... If they can build a mecha statue they can build a Kamina statue goddammit!

And yea it still looks like a Gundam

Wow, it looks like someone tried to fuse a gundam, with a chaos space marine, and one of the power rangers monsters in all the worst ways possible.

sorry double post

Thats just.............wow.

In a country where copyright is printed on toilet paper why did they even bother. They are the country known for pretty much just not giving a fuck about trying to mask their theft. I mean with brands like Avivas Cnoverse, pmua, The Iped, HIphone, They could have painted the thing up the same and called it a Dungam and called it a day.

mb16:
well i think all gundams are stupid so....

MADCAT AND PROPER MECHS FTW!!!!

Take your pig disgusting Western-mecha-that-are-really-just-ripped-off-from-better-Japanese-designs and get out :P

I cant wait till Japan sees this and gets offended by the Chinese appearantly thinking they're retarded or something.

I mean, even if it doesnt like like a gundam, it looks like the other MS model. I wonder how many times we'll see this story and how many different ways they design their... wait, what is China even calling this? Cause I'm honestly expecting it to be called something like a Tundam or something similar.

I think I remember Amuro cutting a bunch of those in half.

Seriously, they should have replaced it with a Zaku. Then again, they probably wouldn't want to look like they were endorsing Zeon.

That's just... wow. Someone pass the brain bleach please.

MY EYES! IT BURNS!

Flamboyant goth gundam?

Dear God...

well it's kind of got a Slaanesh thing going on and my inner Warhammer nerd approves, but Dear God!

Oh China, you so crazy!

probly would have been better if they did black, white, and yellow accent for a color scheme instead that horrible primary color mess w/green nuke symbol. least i don't have look at it everyday...also maybe it's just the lighting in the picture but the yellow parts of the legs and the shoulder pads look kinda lumpy like they're made of paper mache.

John Funk:

mb16:

Take your pig disgusting Western-mecha-that-are-really-just-ripped-off-from-better-Japanese-designs and get out :P

I'm sorry we can't hear over the sound of this
being awesome

And I though western mech redesigns where ugly.

Oh, China. You may nearly be a superpower, but that ain't worth shit if you're a laughing stock.

RobCoxxy:
Oh, China. You may nearly be a superpower, but that ain't worth shit if you're a laughing stock.

We've been trying to tell North America that a decade!

I clicked this wondering "how could they make it uglier ?".
Good job China.

Canid117:

John Funk:

mb16:

being awesome

Sorry, couldn't hear you over this crushing that lumbering snail under a single finger. ;)

Ah, China, you keep the rest of the world entertained with your totally crappy rip-offs...

I mean...

Japanese Macross Frontier on the left, Chinese rip-off Astro Plan to the right:

Hell, even the character designs...

Astro Plan on the left, Gundam 00 on the right:

Also:

John Funk:

mb16:

I didn't want to say it. :D

John Funk:

Canid117:

John Funk:

being awesome

Sorry, couldn't hear you over this crushing that lumbering snail under a single finger. ;)

Seeing as how it would take millions of years for that thing to move to crush my titan even if moving at the speed of light I think I am fairly safe for now. Einstein FTW!

Ugly, indeed.

John Funk:

Canid117:

John Funk:

being awesome

Lets not get Gainax involved in this. Things will just get silly.
C'mon Funk, don't hate on BattleTech.
ATLAS JUST WANT FRIEEEEND.

Canid117:

John Funk:

Canid117:

being awesome

Seeing as how it would take millions of years for that thing to move to crush my titan even if moving at the speed of light I think I am fairly safe for now. Einstein FTW!

Gurren Lagann laughs at your puny "physics"!

so when and were are they haveing these robots fight?

Canid117:

John Funk:

Canid117:

being awesome

To the same effect, I'd like to see you move that canon fast enough to hit a comparibly smaller and more manuverable robot with a very powerful lazer

Looks like a Gundam got raped by World of Warcraft.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here