Computer Hackers Getting Their Own Reality Show

Computer Hackers Getting Their Own Reality Show

"The World's No. 1 Hacker" and his team are getting a crack at 15 minutes of fame.

It seems like just about everyone is getting a reality show. "Real" housewives, ex-strippers, repo-men, Hawaiian bounty hunters, power gays in New York, and folks competing to be videogame testers are just a few of the folks that have TV crews following them around these days. Now, hackers can be added to the ever-growing list, as a computer security firm has just announced that it's signed a deal for a documentary-style show that its promising will thrill audiences everywhere.

LIGATT Security International revealed today that it's got a reality show - about life at both its Atlanta and Los Angeles offices - in the works. According to Greg Evans, the company's CEO and self-described as the "World's No. 1 Hacker", the upcoming show is the result of people trashing the book he released last year.

Although LIGATT Security employees have talked about a reality show for years, it did not become a reality until June of last year after Evans released his latest book, "How To Become The World's No. 1 Hacker." With a number of people who had never read the book, but posted negative comments on blog sites, the company was contacted by a Hollywood figure. Controversy about the book is what led to the beginning of a website called, "The Cyber Wars." The site was created to display not only Gregory Evans side, but also give the bashers a chance to explain theirs.

"It's funny because everyone really thought it was me that created the site," says Evans. The creator of the site stated what he was trying to do with the site and now it is a reality. With various reality shows airing such as, The Real Housewives, Storage Wars, Pawn Shop, and Operation Repo. To date, there has never been a reality show solely about computer security. "Who wouldn't want to see a show on the most controversial security expert in the history of computer security?"

Recently, LIGATT employees "voted and agreed to sign a contract agreement allowing them to be filmed during their day-to-day operations. The network needed more than 80% of the employees to agree in order for the show to move forward." Exactly which network will broadcast the show has yet to be revealed.

This isn't the first time the company's pursued bizarre PR schemes. LIGATT has been offering to train anyone (regardless of computer experience) to become a hacker in 15 minutes for a while. I have a tough time imagining that a show documenting what computer security experts do would be engaging enough to actually retain an audience, but stranger things have happened.

Source: PR Newswire

Image Source

This... Is just so unbelievably stupid. Do they even know what "hacking" *is*?

And on this note I left Television forever. Never to be seen on it again.

If this is the stuff they are coming out with then i will have to stop watching Television.

I have a bit of a background in computer security. While you would think breaking systems would be super cool (and it IS when you're the one doing it). Watching someone take literally hours or even days to find security vulnerabilities would be beyond boring.

If you think it's like the movies where red alarms go off and progress bars pop up and evil AI's flood the screens with "INTRUDER DETECTED" you've seen way too many sci-fi movies. It would just look like hours and hours of random crap and text, until a guy's command line says root:

And networks wonder why the viewwership is down? They may as well just broadcast a test pattern for this things timeslot. It'd probably have the same viewwership.

So... are we going to be watching the back of some guys head for 30 mins to an hour as he toils away on a computer? Cause that's the vibe I'm getting with this shows premise....

They'll just do what they always do for reality TV shows about boring subjects: turn up the DramaLlama dial.

Interpersonal drama makes anything interesting enough for people to watch. People like to see characters interact, engage in conflict (verbal or otherwise), and resolve disputes. And with 168 (maybe 40-60 in this case) hours of footage per episode for a weekly show, it's not that hard to create characters out of people and drama out of day-to-day life... as demonstrated by this one-episode reality TV show.

"Who wouldn't want to see a show on the most controversial security expert in the history of computer security?"

Anyone that isn't a computer geek plus all computer geeks that think little of the project.

the video game tester one was an idea I had way back in 2000. Which makes me as capable as a television writer...

Sad.

Anyway, I'll probably watch it sometime. Why not.

Tankichi:

If this is the stuff they are coming out with then i will have to stop watching Television.

I stopped watching TV altogether in 2007, anything like The Venture Bros. I just watch online. While I have fallen out of the loop on who is on their 15 minute power trip I feel a lot saner all around.

I really hope this show is time lapsed.

sheic99:
I really hope this show is time lapsed.

It's actually going to be done in the same format as 24, so that it's as realistic as possi-

THIS JUST IN! In a record-setting move, "The World's No. 1 Hacker" has become the first television show to be canceled within the first half-hour of showing, resulting in the station filling the rest of the hour-long slot with a rerun of COPS.

Weev should get a show.

Hacking will not grab the attention of the average blob that watches reality TV shows.

This sounds lame, as others have said. But what also caught my attention in the article was this line:

folks competing to be videogame testers

Seriosuly? There's a reality show about that? Oh. Looks like there is.

Man, that's like competing to work at at The Ritz. As a janitor.

If I wanted to become a hacker in 15 mins (which I must admit is an appealing offer) I certainly would not want it to be broadcast on television!

wait what? who thought this is a good idea? also isnt (real) hacking illigeal

Canid117:
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HollywoodHacking

that is all we will see

And I got 3rd party ninja'd because I was just about to post the Penny Arcade strip that page quotes.

Sturmdolch:
This sounds lame, as others have said. But what also caught my attention in the article was this line:

folks competing to be videogame testers

Seriosuly? There's a reality show about that? Oh. Looks like there is.

Man, that's like competing to work at at The Ritz. As a janitor.

What, you say that like opening a DVD tray for 12-16 hours a day isn't fun!

Why does this... oh I don't know, sound really desperate on the producer's side, and really, really weird on the company's side?

Just because everyone's doing it doesn't mean it's fun. Or right.

It's just because producing one is cheaper than other normal things. Like dramas or comedy sitcoms.

Catalyst6:

THIS JUST IN! In a record-setting move, "The World's No. 1 Hacker" has become the first television show to be canceled within the first half-hour of showing, resulting in the station filling the rest of the hour-long slot with a rerun of COPS.

Hardly the first. Emeril's Sitcom was canceled before two commercial breaks and it was rather successful in the "failure to launch" genre.

Formica Archonis:

Plus, I'm being a bit hypocritical. I really, really want to work as a game tester over the summer. =P

Of course, I know it's not all fun and games. I've been told *illions of times.

Sturmdolch:

Formica Archonis:

Plus, I'm being a bit hypocritical. I really, really want to work as a game tester over the summer. =P

Of course, I know it's not all fun and games. I've been told *illions of times.

Only time I've had fun testing is on indie projects, since the programmer(s) is/are usually very accessible and attentive. Of course, I also didn't get paid for any of that.

Hacking is doing something interesting with code. Cracking is circumventing, infiltrating or otherwise penetrating a security system. If they can't even get the basic terminology correct, I don't know how this will in any way be quality entertainment. Oh, right. "Reality" show. Never mind.

Le Tueur:

Tankichi:

I stopped watching TV altogether in 2007, anything like The Venture Bros. I just watch online. While I have fallen out of the loop on who is on their 15 minute power trip I feel a lot saner all around.

I got a few shows. Usually the T.V is on in the background while i work out if it is to late to crank music. Venture Bros is one of the shows.

As a computer scientist I understand that watching someone do anything with computers when you don't know what's going on is like watching paint dry. It may be exciting for some people but most everyone else will be bored stiff. I'm not sure how they'll make it interesting (Actually I do, stupid drama garbage that makes no sense) but I'm interesting in hearing when this show goes down as an incredible ratings bomb.

WooHOO! Reality TV has finally filled the gap that only CSPAN and watching paint dry has been doing for all those that suffer from sleep deprivation.

Gregory D. Evans and LIGATT Securtity have a long and storied history as laughingstocks of the hacker community.

http://attrition.org/errata/charlatan/gregory_evans/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDBCcZ3NKHQ

This guy doesn't represent anything close to a real-life hacker. He's a charlatan, he regularly plagiarizes his material, he has always been about promoting himself with wild and outlandish claims he has no ability to back up, and he responds to criticism with out-and-out cyberbullying.

Greg Evans is a proven thug and a total fraud. As such, he and "reality" TV are perfect for one another.

Arachon:

No Hollywood doesn't .. and probably never will. Sounds like just another time waster to me.

Antari:

Arachon:

No Hollywood doesn't .. and probably never will. Sounds like just another time waster to me.

Hey, maybe they could get this guy...

Arachon:

Antari:

Arachon:

Hey, maybe they could get this guy...

It looks like they've found someone worse already :)

Extraintrovert:
Hacking is doing something interesting with code. Cracking is circumventing, infiltrating or otherwise penetrating a security system. If they can't even get the basic terminology correct, I don't know how this will in any way be quality entertainment. Oh, right. "Reality" show. Never mind.

Actually there's different kinds of hacking, I think these guys may be the computer security kind.

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.