Master Chief Might Need to Buy a Kinect

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Master Chief Might Need to Buy a Kinect

If a domain registration means anything, Microsoft might make players stand up to play the next Halo title.

The world of Halo could take a huge turn now that Bungie has left Microsoft for Activision. A Microsoft domain registration hints that the company is preparing a future Halo title that will use the extremely popular Kinect device.

The registration is for kinecthalo.com, and was evidently handled by a legitimate registrar also responsible for kinect.com and the recently revealed ssxkinect.com and simskinect.com. Whether or not these registrations actually mean anything is up in the air.

Kinect Halo is a pretty boring name, so I doubt it'd be the final title for whatever Halo game 343 Industries is currently working on. Still, it gets the point across. It's a Halo game that uses Kinect.

If Microsoft wants the hardcore Xbox 360 audience to embrace its motion device, there's no better way than to force them to buy a Kinect to be able to play a new Halo title. If I had my druthers, anything Halo that uses Kinect would be one of the Kinect-controller hybrids Microsoft once referred to.

What do you think? Is this just Microsoft covering its bases, or does it dare to make the next Halo game require head nodding or hand waving to play? Such a move could turn the hardcore community onto Kinect, or it could make them despise its existence with all of the fury in their hearts.

Source: Gaming Reloaded, via CVG

I'm gonna go with the FURY! Seriously if Microsoft announces this i shall rage, and i'm still not buying that Kinect thing.

I haven't got room to flail my arms around with a wii remote nevermind a kinect setup. if they do release a halo kinect i won't be buying it.

Hmm.. I'd check reviews first, then probably buy it. At the very least, it'll be doing something in gaming that I've never experienced, and even if it sucks, that's worth it to me.

Halo was done with Reach. Bungie abandoned it, Microsoft engulfed it. It's done. Over with. Whatever comes out is not canon, not Halo, and certainly not good.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[Insert Darth Vader NOooooo button here]

Seriously, I knew this was going to happen. Microsoft, I never held you in high respect, now..... Go stand in the corner!! Now!!

You have desecrated my sacred franchise, go burn!!

Pandaman1911:
Halo was done with Reach. Bungie abandoned it, Microsoft engulfed it. It's done. Over with. Whatever comes out is not canon, not Halo, and certainly not good.

This, Bungie was the life of Halo, and I'm afraid the next Halo game will slip under my radar.

toally...I can totally see how this will work with multiplayer xD

Note to microsoft, just cause you got a new way to play games, doesn't mean that you should make everygame you have into a natal version =/

Wii is ok, it's part of the console, the natal is only appearal.

Pandaman1911:

You seem to have forgotten the part where said product still sells millions of copies resulting in uber profits.

The Wykydtron:
I'm gonna go with the FURY! Seriously if Microsoft announces this i shall rage, and i'm still not buying that Kinect thing.

Thank you, someone else who makes sense. Motion control is not the way to go for hardcore games. It's sole viability is for party and family games. it's starting to look more and more like I chose a good time to stop buying FPS games. Call of Duty is going space marines, Halo is going kinect, next thing you know, medal of honor is going to put in a gun that shoots sunshine and makes the enemy too happy to attack.
I'm disappointed in you microsoft. sellout!

well I wouldnt buy it and Ive got almost all the halo games in legendary editions if applicable (only dont have halo wars)

I have already decided to never buy another Halo game again since it left Bungie's hands...so I don't really care if 343 makes a stupid motion halo thing...bleh

Nautical Honors Society:
I have already decided to never buy another Halo game again since it left Bungie's hands...so I don't really care if 343 makes a stupid motion halo thing...bleh

Same, well, actually, I'm gonna see how it looks.

But Kinect? Might as well ship each copy with a frag grenade, minus the pin.

i am not pleased.

Yeah, cause forcing people to do something is always a good way of earning their trust. But I probably shouldn't talk since I neither own an Xbox or like Halo.

There will be the usual fan-drama, as presaged here in the comments... myself I'll wait until there's an actual product to judge on its own merits instead of flipping my lid over a rumour.

-- Steve

PS: reCaptcha must die... esp-elngues or something. Frickin' thing makes me wonder if I've suddenly developed dyslexia.

Oh, wow, I hope it's a dance game. "After saving the universe, Master Chief has only one thing on his mind... DANCING!"

If it works well, I'll look into getting it. I love the Halo series, and I'm not going to write off any other Halo titles like so many others seem to be just because another team is making it (a team led by a former Bungie employee, no less).

My family already has a Kinect, so I'm halfway there.

Well, if the game's actually good, if would force thousands of Halo heads to buy the Kinect just for it.

Ingenious, really.

The main part is "if". It could very well be, but... eh... not in the current mindset the developers have for making the games for Kinect.

Still, almost first party title. Could work. Could even be fun.

It's not CoD so I don't care, though.

I am not amused Microsoft...
I am not amused.

I really don't think their marketing department understands demographics...

I couldn't care less about Halo..any news about Oni 2, Bungie? :<

The "extremely popular kinect"? Does popular mean something else to you? As in "horribly overrated and expensive device that almost every gamer has hated on since it was announced"?

WHY!? Why would they do this?!

The Wykydtron:

If it's hybrid...you wont need to.

And wasn't their a rumour that 343 were remaking Halo: CE???

Wait...you guys don't think...?

OOH HELL NO! D:

Okay, I've had every Halo game that's come out, but I think I may give this one a miss.

The more work you have the player do, the more the player is going to be uninterested. Giving the player a controller allows them to relax more comfortably while playing a game. It also allows players to react quicker to their environment. Having the kinect can make for an interactive experience, but if the player is constantly aware of the kinect instead of the gameplay, then the immersion experience is broken which I assume is what Microsoft is going for. Otherwise if they are forcing hardcore players to use kinect then that should be compatible with a controller otherwise players are going to hate this game.

Honestly I have invested a lot into Microsoft and, in my opinion, I thought they were better than Sony. But after releasing the Kinect and Move...PC gaming is looking better and better.

arc1991:

And wasn't their a rumour that 343 were remaking Halo: CE???

Wait...you guys don't think...?

OOH HELL NO! D:

Oh hell yes! :D That could be done so well if it's a hybrid. With the controller it would be sexy, and who knows, the motion controls could blow us away. If not, we could just not use them.

PurpleLeafRave:

vrbtny:
Microsoft, I never held you in high respect, now..... Go stand in the corner!! Now!!

Bungie are owned by Activision now, not Microsoft. The owners of COD. Blame them.

Uh... that's wrong at least two ways.

Firstly, Bungie isn't owned by Activision. Bungie contracted with Activision to publish their next game (whatever it is) over the next ten years. Bungie still owns itself.

Secondly, neither Bungie nor Activision will have anything to do with future Halo titles. Bungie sold the rights to Microsoft as part of their buy-back deal to become an independant studio again. The rights to all future Halo games belong to 343 Industries, a subsidiary of Microsoft.

-- Steve

Anton P. Nym:

PurpleLeafRave:

vrbtny:
Microsoft, I never held you in high respect, now..... Go stand in the corner!! Now!!

Bungie are owned by Activision now, not Microsoft. The owners of COD. Blame them.

Uh... that's wrong at least two ways.

Firstly, Bungie isn't owned by Activision. Bungie contracted with Activision to publish their next game (whatever it is) over the next ten years. Bungie still owns itself.

Secondly, neither Bungie nor Activision will have anything to do with future Halo titles. Bungie sold the rights to Microsoft as part of their buy-back deal to become an independant studio again. The rights to all future Halo games belong to 343 Industries, a subsidiary of Microsoft.

-- Steve

Oh yeah, I did actually know the second bit, I just forgot.
As for your first point, thanks for clearing that up.

Christ people jump to conclusions and think this is going to be absolutely terrible before this is even made official in anyway or before they see what type of game it might be. I mean reserve your judgment till at least you've seen something official about it.

I personally have never used kinect and don't think I would like it all that much (too gimmicky like the wii) but that doesn't mean I wouldn't be open to a halo game using kinect if it was done well. That doesn't necessarily mean I would spend all that money for a device I'm probably not going to use except for one or two games, there are financial considerations after all.

Just be a bit more open-minded is what I'm saying, dogma is rarely good.

Let them try, I say. If you hate halo - this is it's moment to change some things. Remember - just because it's a giant corporate monster now, didnt mean it wasnt once somebodies lovely little brain child. Mabye some good can come of the franchise.

And if you like Halo...well wouldn't this be great? A controller hyrbid could really just add to the intensity of the already tried and true "30 seconds of fun", no?

vrbtny:
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[Insert Darth Vader NOooooo button here]

Seriously, I knew this was going to happen. Microsoft, I never held you in high respect, now..... Go stand in the corner!! Now!!

no its been enhanced into a harry potter style rail shooter

i just thought of the game....
Halo minigames
sounds fun
or some type of grunt raising simulator

Gimmicks! Gimmicks everywhere! Exactly who will this be aimed at? 3 year olds? Adults? Old people? I don't think granny will appreciate a first person shooter even if you make her jump around the living room like an old monkey.

Russian_Assassin:

Gimmicks! Gimmicks everywhere! Exactly who will this be aimed at? 3 year olds? Adults? Old people? I don't think granny will appreciate a first person shooter even if you make her jump around the living room like an old monkey.

Hey, before you get your panties in a bunch two things:

One: Bear in mind this might just be somebody attempting to domain farm.

two: Imagine what great shape your glutes will get into from tea-bagging in this game.

Now that Bungie's left the Halo franchise I think it would be a good idea for them to consider doing something different with the IP. I mean, 343 have got some pretty big shoes to fill and it could be hard for them to meet expectations with another Halo FPS. But if they make a whole new kind of game then I would personally be more inclined to buy it. I also really want to see some quality titles for Kinect. There's a lot of potential for that device that needs the right game to utilise it.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here