Real Final Fantasy VII Weaponry Causes Spinal Injuries

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Real Final Fantasy VII Weaponry Causes Spinal Injuries

A man's obsession with real world Final Fantasy VII weaponry caused him more back pain than delight.

Wielding an actual Buster Sword from Final Fantasy VII sounds like it'd be a barrel of laughs, but the reality of such an act is not quite as fun. A man that built replicas of Cloud's signature weapon out of actual steel and fooled around with them too much ended up with back problems.

That's according to this YouTube video, which shows his latest sword in action. When trying to demonstrate its capabilities, the creator is apparently forced to stop when his family intervenes.

"I don't care what the doctors say, I'm either going to break that... or... ugh," the sword's creator says in the video, laying the sword onto the ground and getting into an argument with a woman (probably his wife). "Doctor said he shouldn't be messing with the swords anymore, slipped a disc in his back," his friend reveals.

The man tries to get his dwarven acquaintance to wield the sword, which weighs 54 pounds, but is denied. Thankfully, a real-life Cloud was on hand to prove how deadly the man's Buster Sword is against a palette of wood.

Let this be a lesson: To be like Cloud you have to GTL for years on end and wear a backwards baseball cap and track pants. Even for him, using the sword was a tiring effort. RPG weaponry might be awesome in videogames, but in real life it'll only make you slip a disc.

Source: Kotaku

Well, at least he's never blown his hand off with a gunblade.

Oh yah, now a bunch of JRPG-haters are going to come and say how impractical and stupid that sword is... I don't understand why this is any different from any other impractical weapon? It's not like they were saying it was realistic...

It's awesome but impractical. Seriously now, why kill your body just to look awesome?

I thought it was pretty obvious that a sword of that magnitude was impractical anyway. Seriously anyone could have told you that wasn't go to work.

I'm pretty sure that guy also made Guts' sword from berserk, the video actually shows him forging it then usuing much better then this one.

I call bullshit and that these people are pansies.

I made one, I bought one, I've wielded both of them extensively with no problem. Guess I'm just superhuman...

PS. Their technique is also all wrong. They should bring it over their shoulder more, and then come down in one, full, swinging motion, letting momentum do the work.

Weird i watched this this morning on youtube and now its on hear.
I love how th ebuff guy struggls with the huge thing

Imagine wielding that shit in public.

At least you can have five minutes of fun running around, and scaring people with it, until the police come and arrest you for carrying a very dangerous weapon.

LogicNProportion:

I made one, I bought one, I've wielded both of them extensively with no problem. Guess I'm just superhuman...

Or a liar.
But yeah, that sword was... Stupid... But cool... Well at least it is a nice show piece.

Btw. The oddest Recaptha yet. "Fiery Rape"

As someone who owns a real nodachi (76'' japanese sword, a smaller version of Sephiroth's sword), I can say that these weapons are fun, and a good work out for your wrists, arms, and back.

Would they, or were they ever useful in combat? Not really. The nodachi was used to unseat cavalry or be thrown. The buster type sword was an made from an inefficient sword making process, and was outclassed by the maul. Anyone who thinks these weapons would be good in any scenerio where bullets exist is deluded.

That being said, I love my nodachi. I love that I'm the only friend I have that is taller than my sword. I love scaring neighborhood kids. And I especially love that a guy tried to mug me in downtown Portland near an anime convention, while I was hitting up a Taco Bell in the crappy side of town, I simply drew the sword and he decided he'd rather be somewhere else.

NameIsRobertPaulson:
And I especially love that a guy tried to mug me in downtown Portland near an anime convention, while I was hitting up a Taco Bell in the crappy side of town, I simply drew the sword and he decided he'd rather be somewhere else.

...that's just awesome.

Regarding the video, I don't know whether to classify this as an overwhelming success or an epic fail.

Who didn't see this coming? This kind of thing is part of the joke. The wepaons are the size of you.

Considering even simple longsword is heavy and hard to use by person without training, i don't really see reason to even attempt to wield the one from FFVII, as much as it look 'fun' back in the days the game was actually released over the years it lost its appeal.

I'd imagine there'd be more of a reliance on momentum rather than raw strength to put that thing to any use. Captain Steakchest seemed to be doing it the hard way.

[insert obligatory "awesome but impractical" comment here]

I want one. =D

I'm sure that this is the same guy who made the masamune...

Edit: YUP!!! I was right. Same guy

Next time, stick to the plastic version.

This demonstrates why us Irish folk haven't taken over the world yet. When we make stuff, it tends to be awesome, but not very good for the intended purpose (see also: Titanic, DeLorean). Our time will come though!

... and that's why it's better to have a gun for an arm.

those guys were really hairy, and that sword is awesomely large

Meh, he just needed a couple more Hero Drinks is all...

wasn't the buster that Cloud used hollow to some degree?

I never had that problem I just throw the blitz ball at people

Gotta love MichaelCthulu and his crazy antics... He's gonna need to lay off the big swords for awhile, though.
...maybe in favor of another round of flaming electrified swords...

reminds me of the episode of Invader Zim where they discover that the Martians worked themselves to extinction turning their planet into a spaceship. Zim or Dib asks, "Why would you do that?!" to which the holo-Martian replies, "Because it's cool!"

Everybody who is asking "Why did he do that ?" clearly does not graps how being awesome works.
You do not ask "Why ?", you ask "Why the fuck not ?" and when then somebody answers "Because you will throw your back out, you moron." you hit him with your giant sword.

Desworks:
This demonstrates why us Irish folk haven't taken over the world yet. When we make stuff, it tends to be awesome, but not very good for the intended purpose (see also: Titanic, DeLorean). Our time will come though!

I´m sure it will. And until it does, you can comfort yourself with being terrifyingly awesome in a very deranged, very impractical way

I'm pretty sure i remember cloud looking like this

A very skinny teen not a heavyweight MMA fighter. Bring the first guy back, more realistic.

This is why replicas of video game, esp. JRPG, weapons are just for show, and not for actual use. Anyone with half a brain could figure that out, so I guess this guy has less than half a brain.

Well that piece of wood won't bother anyone anymore...

Next up, the Prototype Arm Blade.

LogicNProportion:

PS. Their technique is also all wrong. They should bring it over their shoulder more, and then come down in one, full, swinging motion, letting momentum do the work.

I highly doubt they'd be able to lift the thing if it was slug all the way over their shoulder. They'd need to exert more energy to just move the thing to let momentum take over.

Still, that's friggin' awesome. That's a huge ass slab of metal if I ever saw one.

he isnt the smartest person in the world but hell the sword would be awesome to own.

KaosuHamoni:
I want one. =D

This guy is soooo preparing for the inevitable zombie apocalypse...

Assassin Xaero:
Oh yah, now a bunch of JRPG-haters are going to come and say how impractical and stupid that sword is... I don't understand why this is any different from any other impractical weapon? It's not like they were saying it was realistic...

you are asking people to rationalize a game where the main characters arms are much like Popeye's, and the token black guy has a MACHINE GUN grafted to his arm.

but at least it isn't a retarded as the Gunblade.

No wonder he couldn't wield it proper; the guy hasn't had his Mako wash. :P

arc1991:

KaosuHamoni:
I want one. =D

This guy is soooo preparing for the inevitable zombie apocalypse...

Preparing to be eaten, maybe. :)

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.