Yakuza 4 Will Have Over 6 Hours of Cutscenes

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Yakuza 4 Will Have Over 6 Hours of Cutscenes

Yakuza 4's total cutscene length is going to be nearly four times longer than that of Dragon Age II.

Sega's upcoming Yakuza 4 is set to feature some major action. But it's been revealed that the game will also feature over six hours of cutscenes to watch.

The game will feature a total of 384 minutes of cutscenes, which is almost four times as much as Dragon Age II is set to include. This information came to light via Britain's game-ratings group, the BBFC. The group assigned an "18" rating to the game. The game received the ranking because of "strong bloody violence and strong language."

Yakuza 4 is due out in North America in March. Sega has promised the game will be largely unchanged from its Japanese release, which is promising because - based on reviews of imported copies of the game - the game is supposed to be a lot of fun. Still, six hours is a lot of time to spend watching cutscenes ...

Source: Eurogamer

It's like a Japanese interactive novel! But its not

Still doesn't beat Metal Gear Solid 4's 9.

Loli-damn, that moviegame is awesome.

im sorry to say this but you have to games mixed up, yakuza 4 is a direct sequel to yakuza 3 with no zombies, yakuza: of the end is a spin off that has zombies so you may have gotten some titles mixed up

Alright... the game you are thinking of is "Yakuza: The End". That's the Yakuza game with zombies, Yakuza 4 is an actual sequel to 3, "The End" is a spinoff.

wow, I missed the point when cutscenes became a selling feature... I always thought they wher a cop out...

vansau:
snip

thenoblitt:
im sorry to say this but you have to games mixed up, yakuza 4 is a direct sequel to yakuza 3 with no zombies, yakuza: of the end is a spin off that has zombies so you may have gotten some titles mixed up

cursedseishi:
Alright... the game you are thinking of is "Yakuza: The End". That's the Yakuza game with zombies, Yakuza 4 is an actual sequel to 3, "The End" is a spinoff.

Just quoting you Vansau and them so then you can fix the article. :)

Korten12:

vansau:
snip

thenoblitt:

cursedseishi:

Just quoting you Vansau and them so then you can fix the article. :)

Got it, thanks guys. I'm generally unfamiliar with the Yakuza games and was going off of other articles. Sorry about the screw-up, but thanks for letting me know about the mistake so I could correct it :)

Just so long as it has a proportional amount of gameplay... ten thousand hours should be sufficient, going by the Oblivion ratio.

What is this lately? Which game can swing it's throbbing boner of how long their cutscenes are as some kind of indication how good their games are?

I want gameplay and actual footage. Self-masturbating scenes like Gears of War, no thanks.

Ok, just how much game is there to be had inbetween the cutscene, or are they attempting a franchise suicide by making a movie that requires human input to continue?

In all seriousness, would buy the game if it happened to be further away from other more cemented releases.

In related news, the Unskippable team has not been seen since the announcement.

I think I can handle six hours of cutscenes. I tolerated the eight to nine in MGS4.

i cant get enough yakuza i wish my ps3 worked :( and i really hope the release (if ever) that samurai style one

DAMN!!!...6 Hours!?

Now if i need a interactive Japanese Story book...i found it

Zachary Amaranth:

A Yakuza April wouldn't be so bad.
Hey, It beats three plus days of Desert Bus.

LegendaryGamer0:

Exactly what I was thinking :P I also loved every minute of those nine hours.

I was surprised Dragon Age 2 didn't have more cutscenes actually.

why is this considered a good thing
your missing the point of a game if 1/4 to 1/3 of the thing is cutscenes

Trogdor1138:

LegendaryGamer0:

Exactly what I was thinking :P I also loved every minute of those nine hours.

I was surprised Dragon Age 2 didn't have more cutscenes actually.

Loli-Damn, Kojima, you are a genius.

I think we should stop, lest we derail the thread :P

Cheefa_Da_Reefa:
i cant get enough yakuza i wish my ps3 worked :( and i really hope the release (if ever) that samurai style one

Samurai style? Genji? Genji was awesome, and I did hear about a PS3 sequel a while back... I wonder if that will ever happen.

6 hours...really?
i mean that's when a game stops being a game and starts being a movie.
maybe they forgot that games are supposed to have "interactive storytelling" and not just story telling.

ehh what ever I'll just skip all the cutscene anyway ^_^

Only 6? Please, I played Metal Gear Solid 4, I can handle 6 hours of cutscenes.

Zachary Amaranth:

When a game promises six hours of cutscenes, it's almost like they're asking Graham and Paul to spend an entire month on it.

well that sounds dull i would rather a play game then spend hours watching it

oreopizza47:

Cheefa_Da_Reefa:

Samurai style? Genji? Genji was awesome, and I did hear about a PS3 sequel a while back... I wonder if that will ever happen.

no not genji (btw awesome game) is a yakuza game set in the samurai period i just dont remenber the name

You know what I look forward to? The day when we get a headline with a publisher boasting about how their latest, greatest, AAA title has 0 hours of cutscenes.

0 Minutes would be better, but given that even New Super Mario Brothers Wii had a minute or two of them, I'd settle for it being measured in hours.

Oh well, six hours isn't all that bad(if the game is really long >.<). I rather enjoy the cutscenes in Yakuza 3. It's the orphanage sections I want to get rid of.

direkiller:
why is this considered a good thing
your missing the point of a game if 1/4 to 1/3 of the thing is cutscenes

I think it might be getting out of hand, for example, I beat MGS4 in 13 hours, that includes dicking around time, with cutsenes being about 8 hours. I'm honestly surprised nobody put a reasonable limit on this sort of thing. Sure it's only a few games that are REALLY long winded, but that doesn't mean there can't be some kind of security.

HankMan:

Zachary Amaranth:

A Yakuza April wouldn't be so bad.
Hey, It beats three plus days of Desert Bus.

Are you kidding? Nothing can possibly beat desert bus's gameplay time and replay value, not even cutscenes that are sure to be really long winded.

Chazz16:
6 hours...really?
i mean that's when a game stops being a game and starts being a movie.
maybe they forgot that games are supposed to have "interactive storytelling" and not just story telling.

ehh what ever I'll just skip all the cutscene anyway ^_^

I want to see a game that when you skip the opening you get the credits, along with the "Finished the game" Achievement, just to screw with the player.

It says "will have" but it "HAS" as its been out for nearly a year in Japan. Still need to get the plat on it though lol.

why do games take pride in how long their cutscenes are?
i thought they were supposed to be games, why would they want to be movies..(quote: "It can only end in frustration.")

I don't mind the long cutscenes as long as they're fun to watch. However, I will be mighty pissed if they cut off features for the Western release, like they did in Yakuza 3. I'm pretty sure they committed that crime again...

So what's the difference from others "Yakuza"?
Don't they all have lot's hours of cutscene? Yakuza is "go there-cutscene-timetokickass-cutscene-repeat till you beat the game"

In previous interviews I've seen the developers said that the only things that wouldn't make it were things like the quiz mini game (which wouldn't work very well in English).

The samurai themed (specifically the Edo period) Yakuza game had the subtitle "Kenzan!"

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here