Illegal Immigrant Smuggling Game Under Fire for Insensitivity

Pages PREV 1 2

Soviet Heavy:
When I read the title, I thought it was about an illegal immigrant who got in trouble for smuggling games.

This is my sentiments exactly.

Seriously though, these games are a very slippery slope for both sides of the debate. Best to just ignore them.

lol I laughed my arse off at this game's trailer. Come on guys, there's games about everything these days, an immigrant smuggling game was inevitable.
Still, looks like a fun as fuck game too. I'd buy it.

Lol, "political insensitivity".
So they are basically calling them big meanie heads. And?
Is that a criminal offense now? I sure hope not.
I'm sure the southpark creators hear that on a daily basis and it didn't stop them.

Hahaha, I love being politically insensitive!

"This 'game' pokes fun and trivializes the harsh reality of our current immigration policy that leads to people putting their lives at stake and embarking on dangerous border crossings."

Maybe they shouldn't be crossing the border then? Just a thought...

Cowabungaa:
Political insensitivity? Since when was that a crime?

But you know what is? ^^^

You don't have the right to not be offended.

This looks like a hilariously good time to me. I don't see what the problem with it would be among anyone other than, perhaps, Anglo-Saxon mom's? I'm not Latino myself but I have plenty of Latino friends, and I highly doubt any of them would be sensitive to this. Then again, I doubt any of them are illegal immigrants, but illegal immigrants are people too, and they probably have senses of humor!

The organizations complaining about this game just earned this dev publicity which also will earn $$$$

[sarcastic tone] I see nothing wrong with this...

Jesus Christ, I fucking hate political correctness. "Sensitivity?" Really?

Quit bitching and moaning. Laugh it off. This game looks awesome.

Re-watch the first half of Yahtzee's review of "50 Cent: Blood on the Sand". Words of wisdom.

Nothing would get done if we banned something just because someone got offended. In fact, I am offended that these people can't seem to understand satire! Let's take away their first amendment right because of how upset they make me feel!

/sarcasm

Soviet Heavy:
When I read the title, I thought it was about an illegal immigrant who got in trouble for smuggling games.

Oh my god, I thought this exact same thing. Now I feel less stupid for thinking that. Thank you for this sir.

Tom Goldman:

She notes that 170 people were killed trying to immigrate to the U.S. in 2010.

You'd think that would give them a clue that they SHOULDN'T DO IT.

Silly Government people. If you can't learn to laugh, you can't learn to make fun games.

so the game is bad cause its trivializing ILLEGAL immigration?
so?
a lot of people already have by trying to get 'rights' for illegals, in one form or another, which is just stupid, since they have no right to be here to begin with, they don't deserve any such right

and the fallowing is directed at anyone in the US illegally

get the hell out, or get a god damned green card. we're WASTING a lot of money on you leeches, try giving back if you like it here so much, and actually learn English, like all of it, not just 3 words, it IS the national language after all

Yep, I'm playin this tonight....

Kitsuna10060:
it IS the national language after all

No it's not; it's just the language that most of us speak. But yes, GTFO still stands!

"This 'game' pokes fun and trivializes the harsh reality of our current immigration policy that leads to people putting their lives at stake and embarking on dangerous border crossings."

Couldn't agree more. And that's why it needs to be made. If some group somewhere somehow made such a colossal mistake that ended up "killing 170 people last year" or whatever than someone sure better be calling attention to that fact. Both parody (say, South Park) and interactive experiences (say, this game) are a good medium.

Bonus achievement - Lock your cargo in a sealed trailer and abandon them to die in the desert heat, just like real Mexican smugglers. You still collect their money and don't even have to go to the trouble of actually delivering them anywhere. It'd be like a Super Mario warp pipe only with callous murder and negative karma.

Freedom to offend, no freedom to not be offended.

Looks like fun. I'd play it if we got to play on the side of the Border Patrol. I even thought up a title for such a game.

"Revenge of the Border Patrol: Illegal Immigrant Adventure 2"

Sgt. Sykes:
Oh noes, ban it, quick! Games like this encourage ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION!!!

spoken like The People from Fox news lol

Yea yeah, all those complaints about political correctness and everything are great, but I get the feeling that they wouldn't have nearly the problem with this if it were say a Daily Show segment or something. They just jumped on the target-video-games-for-immorality-without-any-real-knowledge-of-what-they're-talking-about band wagon.

Eva Millona of the Massachusetts Immigrants & Refugee Advocacy Coalition told NBC she feels Smuggle Truck "trivializes the seriousness of immigrants willing to risk their lives to cross the border." Patricia Montes of another group points out that illegal immigration is mostly done out of desperation, she doesn't think it should be made into a game.

They're criminals. Who cares if they get made fun of in a video game?

Edit: Nice. Lots of people agree with me. One place I won't get flamed for daring to voice my opinion!

Political Correctness ruins everything fun and enjoyable.
Honestly, this game looks hilarious. I've seen games where people shoot at Native Americans, who were here first btw, but there's no groups for my bloodlines! It's trivial.

I will buy this game.

Only a true racist will enjoy the loss of Mexican and Southern American life.
Believe you me that this is not the first iPhone game dealing with this issue. Last month the very first one of these types of games came out, I believe it was called Jose Comes to USA.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here