Critics Knock the Web Fluid Out of Spider-Man Musical

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Critics Knock the Web Fluid Out of Spider-Man Musical

Spider-Man's theatrical debut is apparently one of the worst musicals ever made.

The accident-prone and oft-delayed Spider-Man musical, Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark, may be the most expensive show ever to hit Broadway, but that hasn't saved it from a critical mauling. Theater critics seemed to dislike the show so much that they broke with tradition and published their reviews ahead of the show's opening in March.

Some critics felt that the show was incredibly inconsistent, with flashes of brilliance rubbing shoulders with absolute dross. The New York magazine described the show as "ridiculously slick, shockingly clumsy, unmistakably monomaniacal and clinically bipolar," while the New York Post called it "equal parts exciting and atrocious." Unfortunately - for the production at least - other critics were less impressed. The Washington Post summed up its feelings with a sound bite worthy of its own t-shirt, saying, "If you're going to spend $65 million and not end up with the best musical of all time, I suppose there's a perverse distinction in being one of the worst."

Rick Miramontez, a spokesperson for the production, said the decision by critics to publish their reviews early was "unprecedented and UNCOOL[sic]." It's worth mentioning, however, that the date that many of the reviews went up, February 7th, was actually when the show was supposed to open, before the most recent delay. It's not clear what effect these reviews will have on the production though, as previews of the show are selling out, and even overtaking established - not to mention finished shows - like Wicked. As strange as it seems, Turn Off the Dark may turn into the Transformers of Broadway: a production that critics hate, but audience love.

Source: CBR

Who DIDN'T see this coming??? Even when it was announced everyone knew it was gonna suck ass.

Lies - audiences didn't like Transformers.

Anyway, critic opinion = meh. Would rather see it and make up my own mind, but since I live a long way away from Broadway I guess I'll just have to abstain. I'm not going to say it sucks if I haven't seen it with my own eyes though.

As strange as it seems, Turn Off the Dark may turn into the Transformers of Broadway: a production that critics hate, but audience love.

and that is absolutely the only thing that matters.

Though i stand with

at the end of "The King is Dead" episode of Family Guy.

Actually, going to see the worst show of all time?

They may have just doubled their figures.

BonsaiK:

Anyway, critic opinion = meh. Would rather see it and make up my own mind, but since I live a long way away from Broadway I guess I'll just have to abstain. I'm not going to say it sucks if I haven't seen it with my own eyes though.

Movie audiences usually vote with their money. Critics might have not liked the Transformers movie but the $700 million dollars the movie made says audiences loved it. Source http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transformers_%28film%29
The Spiderman Broadway from the get go sounded like a disaster waiting to happen. I can't say it was right for the critics to have bashed the show this early even with the delays, but their verdict would have been the same either.

As I would like to point out for those familier with illwillpress...Foamy called it.

The_root_of_all_evil:

I'm certainly more interested in seeing it now. Before, it just seemed boring but with cool stunts. But if it's absolutely horrible with cool stunts, well that's a lot more entertaining!

IGN gave it a good review.
Har har, I know what you're thinking.
Bringing an IGN review into this. But seriously, I would go see it. :P

BonsaiK:

I think it'd be more accurate to say that fans didn't like Transformers, but people who liked explosions and giant robots in general, did.

The_root_of_all_evil:

Admittedly this may be some clever marketing ploy to get people to watch it, I want to see it now just out of curiosity.

Legion:

The_root_of_all_evil:

Admittedly this may be some clever marketing ploy to get people to watch it, I want to see it now just out of curiosity.

Damnit, that's exactly what they're counting on. If somebody makes something terrible, they shouldn't be encouraged by financial reward.

Dorkmaster Flek:

Legion:

The_root_of_all_evil:

Damnit, that's exactly what they're counting on. If somebody makes something terrible, they shouldn't be encouraged by financial reward.

Well to be fair I live in England. I am not about to pay for a plane ticket etc. to go all the way to see it.

I rub my hands in anticipation of the impending critical firestorm when the actual musical opens.

The critics released their reviews now while anyone still cared about this debacle.

Transformers, worst movie I ever saw in theaters (and I saw the Super Mario Brothers movie on my ninth birthday in theaters and I was dragged to Clash of the Titans 2010). I was dragged by a friend and they got my money. I can't believe my dollars supported that junk.

Damn this musical is like a car wreck.....you just can't look away lol

I think it looks entertaining.

It's only a matter of time til theatre becomes more like cinema.

I don't understand why they are having such crazy problems. I saw Peter Pan last summer at the Stratford Festival and they had people flying around all over the place no problem! and I'm pretty sure it didn't cost them $65 mill.

It's the NASCAR effect, people go to watch for a crash. They just want to see someone get hurt.

I actually heard that some people like this musical. Creepy.

This all sounds like one of those bad ideas that nobody stepped up and stopped them.

The production is barely making enough to cover operating costs, if a serious crew injury or fatality doesn't put this show out of its misery I think plain ol' economics will still do it in.

Now on to Batman: the Opera!

It's like watching a monkey eat a hand grenade, you don't want to watch because it will be horrible but then again, it is a monkey eating a grenade

God, now I HAVE to see it!

I'll go see it. Can I bring a vuvuzela?

In all seriousness though, I saw this coming when I first saw the pictures of the outfits and stages.

"Superhero" and "musical theatre" just don't go together.

The Superman one from years ago was awful and I can't comprehend that someone thought, "You know what Spider-Man needs? A song and dance number!".

And really, why bother making this when they could be making the long awaited Protomen Rock Opera?

I thought we already came to this conclusion.. well... a LONG time ago. But I dont know, I hope it doesnt turn into the Transformers of broadway.

I'm not sure it's right to equate pre opening ticket sales with audiences actually loving the show. While I do think audiences probably will like it more than critics do, I would imagine many of the people buying tickets for it at this point are buying them so they can witness one of the greatest train wrecks in modern entertainment history.

Reads like a bisexual reviewing "Cats."

It may end up being something that's so awful it becomes compelling, I'm hoping for something along the lines of the awfulness seen in "the room"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISXiFJS9D5A

People are going to see it because it sucks. No one has hid the fact they bought the ticket to watch a train wreck live on stage.

They should have broken into "Springtime for Hitler".

That would have gotten some positive attention.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here