Japanese Mag Claims PlayStation 3 Was the Best Platform in 2010

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Japanese Mag Claims PlayStation 3 Was the Best Platform in 2010

Compiling the review scores of 516 games by Japanese magazine Famitsu last year revealed that more PlayStation 3 games scored well than any other platform.

There were a lot of games to review in 2010 if you count handhelds like the PSP and Nintendo DS, as well as the big three consoles: PS3, Xbox 360 and Wii. Famitsu went through all the 516 reviews it published in 2010 and counted how many from each platform received a "Silver Award" from the magazine, or 30 out of a possible 40. Sony's PlayStation 3 led the pack with 77 of 103 or 74.7 percent of its games garnering a Silver award, followed by 65 out of 97 Xbox 360 games (67 percent), and the worst of the big three, the Wii with 27 out of 43 (62.7 percent).

Handheld games were reviewed even more harshly by Famitsu, but the two Japanese game companies were flip-flopped. 58 of 117 (49 percent) Nintendo's DS games got a 30 out of 40 review, while only 43 percent of Sony's PSP 130 games scored as well.

What platform do you think had the best games of 2010? Was the PlayStation 3 library as successful as Famitsu makes it out to be? These numbers don't make any judgement as to a particular game's impact either. Do you think having one or two innovative or standout games like Heavy Rain or God of War 3 means more than having a higher percentage of generally good titles like you could argue for the Xbox 360?

Source: 1up

Maybe in Japan the PS3 was the king of the hill last year, but over here things seemed a bit more even (to me at least).

Sorry, have to say it, no mention of the PC?

WHAT?!?!

A Japanese system wins Best Platform by a Japanese Magazine?!?

I am shocked and appalled!

I wonder how many of the games counted actually made it outside of Japan.

Tim Latshaw:
I wonder how many of the games counted actually made it outside of Japan.

Ninja'ed.

That and Japan hates Microsoft. Can't think why.

Meh, it's all opinion, though I'd say that this Japanese magazine does have bias on the subject.

I thought it was pretty even, myself.

Having all three systems, I have to say our 360s get most of the attention. Taking last year into account we played two games on the PS3 (GOW3 and Boarderlands) as opposed to nearly 10 on the Xbox (Darksiders, Bayonetta, ME2, Dragon Age, Red Dead Redeption, Transformers WFC, Lego Indiana Jones 2, Shadow Complex), I don't recall buying a single title for the Wii.

Ha..... in North America you would get so much shit for showing this amount of nationalism. These people are rediculous.

Not that I care or anything 8) Just a simple gaijin here, nothing to see.

Didn't Famitsu give Final Fantasy XIII a 39/40? Their word has become meaningless in the past few years.

P.S. Thanks

This guy does seem to be a bit biased, but it's not like all of you aren't in the west =/. I thought PS3 went great last year and would have been better if killzone 3 and littlebigplanet 2 weren't delayed from september till 2011.
I think PS3 and xbox were close in 2010, idk if ps3 was better though (better than years before though)

Greg Tito:

Compiling the review scores of 516 games by Japanese magazine Famitsu last year revealed that more PlayStation 3 games scored better than any other platform.

Fixed it for you

The_root_of_all_evil:

The Japanese only use PCs to program their battle mechs.

I think its a reasonable claim. PS3 started with crazy, hard to develop for hardware. They had nothing for a while, then a huge boom when development cycles started to finish up. Now, the consoles are about even. I think that 2009 was a clear win for the PS3, and while Im not sure I could call between the 2 for 2010, saying PS3 won is a pretty reasonable call, even without any fanboyism.

The_root_of_all_evil:

I thought this too, as a big PC player, but Ive kinda given up on there being a meaningful comparison between a bunch of consoles and PC. PCs are just too different. Mods, community, casual/social games, innovative indie games, not to mention PC gets a lot of, "Exclusives". that totally mess up the "Exclusive" math for determining which console has the advantage, and very fundamental differences regarding controls makes it so personal preference trumps any meaningful discussion. Way I see it, Consoles have the big an impressive numbers and sales, PC is the test zone where the best of the new ideas are invented.

With the best games on the system mostly being western...

Seriously, the only Japanese games off the top of my head are MGS4 and Demon's Souls (both also being less "Japanese" than most of their games").

Have to agree here. Saw less original titles on the 360, possibly because of lack of exclusives hindering it, and the wii was more of a gimmick than a game console.

Good for the PS3 I guess, really though all the consoles did well last year.

The way I see it and keep in mind this is just my observation:

360: did exceptionally well thanks to Kinect and a constant stream of great games.
PS3: sold very well with its exclusives and.... thats all I got.
Wii: had troubles but its exclusives proved once again that the Wii can have great games.
PC: wow, did they do very well. Most of it came from the tidal wave of inde games and social games.
DS: Always does great and last year is no different.
PSP: Still slightly struggling, but its still doing well.
iPhone(yes I'm counting it): Done surprisingly well. Sure its nowhere near as big as the other consoles, but it has shown that it can support wonderful games.(and for cheap)

Covarr:
Didn't Famitsu give Final Fantasy XIII a 39/40? Their word has become meaningless in the past few years.

P.S. Thanks

Using your opinion of a game as a basis to discredit a magazine is hardly an argument. 39/40 may be a little generous, but the game isn't THAT bad.

Instead you should of called out the giant amount of bias that exists between the "gaijin" Microsoft and then home-grown Sony.

Microsoft has spent little, if any, time on trying to broaden their market to a noticeable extent within Japan, so there is a narrow install base there, and because of that, less focus is placed on it by developers. Why develop an RPG on a system almost no one owns, when you can make it for one everyone owns?

While I do commend them on at least limiting it to a certain extent, its nothing but a little nationalist showboating. The systems are even, plain and simple, the only thing really missing from the 360 is several Japanese-specific RPGs to fatten its rank.

Does Famitsu even review PC games? I'm pretty sure it doesn't.

Anyways I'm gonna have to agree with Famitsu, I can't think of anything on the 360 that I wanted to play that came out last year that wasn't on the PC or PS3. Maybe Halo Reach but its not like I cant go over to a friends house and spend a day playing it there.

Mind you, the ps3 has less games on it and the ones that do appear on it tend to be at a higher quality due to the production costs and whatnot. So if their talking percentages, then I could see the ps3 winning, its just that the other consoles also had a lot of crap games that brought down the good ones.

Also, for those wondering, Famitsu doesn't do a lot of PC games or reviews, so I don't think they counted them in this poll at all.

cursedseishi:

Covarr:

P.S. Thanks

Using your opinion of a game as a basis to discredit a magazine is hardly an argument. 39/40 may be a little generous, but the game isn't THAT bad.

It really, really is. I'm sorry, but I don't see how any gaming magazine, it presumably being run by a group of editors, all experienced in the industry from which we would take the mean of their opinions, could give that game more than a 30/40, being very very generous. One or two people could love it, but as a gaming property it is just poor. Compared to other FF titles it brings very little new and doesn't do anything that well.

Xbox definately wins in terms of variety and quality of games I think.

But if you're comparing which system has the better games I think you need to look at the exclusives only (Even then the Wii is still rubbish.) PS3 does have some mighty fine exclusives I have to say...

I don't even play on the PC, and I was wondering what happened to it. I do think that Sony won this year in terms of software, but only because they got their shit together recently.

Thespian:
It really, really is. I'm sorry, but I don't see how any gaming magazine, it presumably being run by a group of editors, all experienced in the industry from which we would take the mean of their opinions, could give that game more than a 30/40, being very very generous. One or two people could love it, but as a gaming property it is just poor. Compared to other FF titles it brings very little new and doesn't do anything that well.

It brings plenty of new things, it's just that people are arguing about how well it was executed.

cursedseishi:

Covarr:

P.S. Thanks

I'm not using my opinion. Rather, I'm looking at the overall reception of the game.

Don't get me wrong, I actually liked Final Fantasy XIII, probably more than most people. But the general consensus seems to be that it simply wasn't that great, and even people who liked it (such as myself) would concede that it wasn't 39/40 material. Keep in mind, their review scores are a composite of four reviewers opinions. For the game to get 39, THREE REVIEWERS would have had to have given it a perfect score.

For comparison's sake, look at Batman: Arkham Asylum, released the same year. Famitsu gave that one 34/40 (a 10 and three 8's). The thing is, Arkham Asylum has generally received much better reception than FFXIII. AA has consistently better scores from professional reviewers, as well as from the general public. That's a 12.5% difference there, not insignificant.

I'm not going to get into the reasons for that difference, be they cultural bias, preference for an established series, graphics whoring, or maybe even a little extra money from Square Enix (prolly not, since S-E published Arkham Asylum in Japan), but the fact that they went so strongly against the grain in this case, as well as a number of other cases in recent times, suggests that their opinions simply don't hold the same value that they used to.

P.S. Thanks

...gotta keep in mind that this is a Japanese publication reviewing games that came out in the Japanese language. Japanese developers have a long history of not releasing all of their games over here, and a shorter history of not bothering to make games for Microsoft platforms. The same applies in reverse for Xbox games. Many of the games you folks have enjoyed here may not have been released, or at least translated well, over there.

I think the only way this can work is if you do what that magazine did, but on a world wide scale, containing all the major professional game reviewing websites and magazines, then correlating it like that. Therefore you almost eliminate favouritism

I think the PS3 had a great year in 2010. I wouldn't know much on the 360 side because, honestly, I have no idea what came out for the 360 in 2010 (Fable 3 maybe?), but that's just because I don't have any interest in 360 titles (or have a 360 for that matter).

I would be interested to see what games were counted in this, however. How many Japanese-exclusive games were in that list? What about world-wide releases? Were multi-platform titles counted between different consoles? Probably, but still.

Eh...Japanese mag says PS3 won? How....surprising. I personally would say 360 won, but that's just me.

PC was the worst platform in 2010 it didn't release any console games.

Personally, PS3 always wins. Much higher quality games, always has, always will be that way =P but I'm bias, and I admit to being a fan-boy. I try Xbox stuff, it's just I never like it.

That's not surprising at all:

The Nintendo Wii's star is finally falling, and falling fast (a combination of largely mediocre titles and market saturation), Sony is starting to gain steam, and Microsoft's 360 hasn't exactly felt very welcome in Japan from Day 1.

Proverbial Jon:
Xbox definately wins in terms of variety and quality of games I think.

But if you're comparing which system has the better games I think you need to look at the exclusives only (Even then the Wii is still rubbish.) PS3 does have some mighty fine exclusives I have to say...

...wait... you're joking, right? Variety? Quality? I really have to struggle to come up with a 360 exclusive title that wasn't mindnumbingly stupid, an XBLA game that i can't play anyway, or another shooter. Mind you neither standard console has that large of an exclusive library if you don't count the PSN and XBLA games, and the Wii games are almost all good games or massive fucking failures. I say that so far we just haven't seen enough from any console to call a winner.

Covarr:

I'm not going to get into the reasons for that difference, be they cultural bias, preference for an established series, graphics whoring, or maybe even a little extra money from Square Enix (prolly not, since S-E published Arkham Asylum in Japan), but the fact that they went so strongly against the grain in this case, as well as a number of other cases in recent times, suggests that their opinions simply don't hold the same value that they used to.
P.S. Thanks

Yeah, I would be willing to bet it was a cultural difference and bias more than anything. Far as I'm aware, Batman has had only a limited appeal in Japan. So while the game may have been awesome (which it definitely was), a less interested person may see some of the issues it did have and not overlook them. While people here were more than willing to overlook a few flaws simply because it was THE first batman game in a long time that not only didn't suck, but was a great game.
Thats a whole lotta can of worms to open up though to discuss further heh.

But yeah I can understand what your getting at. Its usually why if I'm trying to get a feel of a game, I look at more than a few reviews (within my nationality of course) and generally wait to rent the game before I decide.

Funny how everyone is so quick to point out Japan's bias, and forgets the same kind of bias exists here is the States as well. As far as exclusives go yeah, I'd have to give the nod to the PS3 though it comes close. And this is of course, a console discussion heh. Otherwise PC all the way!

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here