Japanese Mag Claims PlayStation 3 Was the Best Platform in 2010

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

The_root_of_all_evil:
Sorry, have to say it, no mention of the PC?

It appears to me that a lot of places don't consider the PC to be part of the console wars, or even part of the wars at all.
Such a thing is shameful given that PC's can/have/will give us some of the best gaming has ever offered.

Popular media magazines and websites (including The Escapist) love doing top-xx lists and "best of" articles, largely because it gets people who would otherwise never look at the publication to read and sound off. Nothing gets as much of a rise out of people than arguments over subjective opinion. It's probably as close as professional journalists get to troll-baiting.

From my own perspective, nothing came out in 2010 than made me regret owning a PS3 over a 360. But, neither did any of 2010's PS3 exclusives really appeal to me (I'm still kind of curious about Heavy Rain though). On the other hand, there were a handful of XBLA titles that looked kind of cool and I wished were available through PSN.

Greg Tito:
What platform do you think had the best games of 2010? Was the PlayStation 3 library as successful as Famitsu makes it out to be? These numbers don't make any judgement as to a particular game's impact either. Do you think having one or two innovative or standout games like Heavy Rain or God of War 3 means more than having a higher percentage of generally good titles like you could argue for the Xbox 360?

I think so, but then, I like my Japanese games and my PS3. I don't own an XBox or a Wii, but that's because I prefer the PS3. So... I don't think I could be more biased unless Sony sent me a bribe.

Still, always nice to see good press for the PS3.

Who gives a flying fuck in a doody doppeldecker about what they prefered? Everyone has to make up his mind on his own.
I dont like the PS, i cant see the wii as anything but a nice partygamemachine and if i had to choose something different than a pc i'd take an Xbox. Why? Because i like it best.

2010 PS3 did have a better line up than the other two, exclusively.

ToonLink:
WHAT?!?!

A Japanese system wins Best Platform by a Japanese Magazine?!?

I am shocked and appalled!

Just like western customer like Xbox360 better.

ToonLink:
WHAT?!?!

WHAT?!! Surely it was the Wii. Silly Japanese...

In Japan it was always PS3 vs Wii.
And Nintendo holds the sales, but the PS3 did have a good year in review.

I'm not big on console wars, but having a PS3, any news like this seems nice to me.

I have to say the Wii was the best. It showed the more innovation than the other consoles. Sure Motion Controls aren't the best now but they will become really great soon and the Wii was the gateway.

Proverbial Jon:
Xbox definately wins in terms of variety and quality of games I think.

But if you're comparing which system has the better games I think you need to look at the exclusives only (Even then the Wii is still rubbish.) PS3 does have some mighty fine exclusives I have to say...

I disagree. The best titles on the 360 are almost all shooters. Alan Wake was a nice break from that, but it bombed in sales. Quality I agree with you the 360 has great quality exclusives but it's variety is very lacking. Yet another Halo game, and yet another over hyped Fable title that showed no innovation.

Varanfan9:
I have to say the Wii was the best. It showed the more innovation than the other consoles. Sure Motion Controls aren't the best now but they will become really great soon and the Wii was the gateway.

Gotta disagree there. The Wii may have motion controls but there are next to no games that use them in a non-gimmicky fashion. Hell, Nintendo's flagship franchises don't even use the motion controls. If anything the Wii has shown the least innovation in 2010. I have to hand it to the Kinect on having the best motion control option. And that's coming from a PS3 guy.

DevilWolf47:

Proverbial Jon:

But if you're comparing which system has the better games I think you need to look at the exclusives only (Even then the Wii is still rubbish.) PS3 does have some mighty fine exclusives I have to say...

...wait... you're joking, right? Variety? Quality? I really have to struggle to come up with a 360 exclusive title that wasn't mindnumbingly stupid, an XBLA game that i can't play anyway, or another shooter. Mind you neither standard console has that large of an exclusive library if you don't count the PSN and XBLA games, and the Wii games are almost all good games or massive fucking failures. I say that so far we just haven't seen enough from any console to call a winner.

Well there is:

Alan Wake - I know it had some issues but overall it was a quality game
Mass Effect 2 - Although no longer exclusive to the Xbox it WAS in 2010
Halo Reach - Despite what people said, was Bungie's best Halo game

But I guess they're my personal choices, games I feel it's worth owning an Xbox for... or at least my justification for still having an Xbox :P

But I guess you're right, we haven't seen enough of either console yet. The PS3 is definately the stronger console in terms of service and technology so I'm thinking it has the most potential to blow the Xbox out of the water with games this year.

Proverbial Jon:

DevilWolf47:

Proverbial Jon:

...wait... you're joking, right? Variety? Quality? I really have to struggle to come up with a 360 exclusive title that wasn't mindnumbingly stupid, an XBLA game that i can't play anyway, or another shooter. Mind you neither standard console has that large of an exclusive library if you don't count the PSN and XBLA games, and the Wii games are almost all good games or massive fucking failures. I say that so far we just haven't seen enough from any console to call a winner.

Well there is:

Alan Wake - I know it had some issues but overall it was a quality game
Mass Effect 2 - Although no longer exclusive to the Xbox it WAS in 2010
Halo Reach - Despite what people said, was Bungie's best Halo game

But I guess they're my personal choices, games I feel it's worth owning an Xbox for... or at least my justification for still having an Xbox :P

But I guess you're right, we haven't seen enough of either console yet. The PS3 is definately the stronger console in terms of service and technology so I'm thinking it has the most potential to blow the Xbox out of the water with games this year.

This might come off as hypocritical, but i'm absolutely with you as far as Halo Reach is concerned. I love that it catered to players like myself who preferred precision based shooting in a way not honored since Combat Evolved. But it's still HALO, not much variety. Plus considering it's predecessor Halo 3 and the ODST expansion, calling it "Best of Halo" isn't really high praise. The Brutes always were just one stupid fucking joke of an enemy. Plus i can't really choose Halo over the PS3 exclusive Resistance: Fall of Man because i haven't played Resistance: Fall of Man.
...nor will i anytime soon. I'm planning to get a PS3 for inFamous and The Last Guardian.

I don't see how my opinion based on releases we saw in the US has much in the way of relevant comparison to a market flooded with alot of japan only releases.

Tim Latshaw:
I wonder how many of the games counted actually made it outside of Japan.

The good ones did (or are on their way to), if that's what you're asking.

ToonLink:
WHAT?!?!

Err, you do realise that Nintendo is a Japanese company, right? And that the Wii was ranked last? The Wii is made by Nintendo, in case you didn't catch that connection either.

I really don't think the article is as biased as you seem to think.

boholikeu:

Tim Latshaw:
I wonder how many of the games counted actually made it outside of Japan.

The good ones did (or are on their way to), if that's what you're asking.

I'm more wondering if the percentages here are reflective of the percentages in the rest of the world.

Andronicus:

ToonLink:
WHAT?!?!

Err, you do realise that Nintendo is a Japanese company, right? And that the Wii was ranked last? The Wii is made by Nintendo, in case you didn't catch that connection either.

NINTENDO IS A JAPANESE COMPANY!?!?! WHAAAAT? Since when?! How long have you been withholding this information?!?!

You obviously dont recognize sarcasm when you hear it. I had one of the first Nintendos and still play it to this day. Since we're throwing out facts, did you know that Nintendo started off as a playing card company? And that they once had a deal in place to make a CD addon for the Super Nintendo that would later become the Playstation?

Many people will argue "No, it's Xbox that is better. Japan is just biased". Well then let me ask you, which countries/websites give the highest ratings to the Xbox and it's games? North America, also known as the home of the Xbox360. Plus I've heard before, 90% of statistics are BullShit (If you don't get that joke, then your counter statement is invalid). I've met 'NUMEROUS' gamers over the last couple years, and the majority own a PS3 or prefer to game on a PC. The fact of the matter is, NOBODY would play Xbox360 if it wasn't for Microsoft buying all the Xbox Exclusive titles like Halo (Because even looking at the BlackOps map, you can see that only North America is lit up like a freaking Xmas tree 24/7). To me it just shouts "HEY! We're North America and the only games we will rush out to buy en'mass are Shooting games. (If you doubt my shooting game theory, refer to 'Bulletstorm','Crysis 2','Killzone3','DukeNukem Forever','Homefront', and any other games that are coming out this year. Or 'BlackOps','Red Dead Redemption','ModernWarfare2','Bad Company 2','Halo:Reach', 'ME:2',and the other 100+ shooters released in previous years that all ended up as being the most popular).

Just ask yourself honestly (This only applies to people who own or have played both, cause they will have the least bias), if it wasn't for the Xbox360 exclusive games...would you honestly have bought a system where you PAY for online gameplay that PS3 or PC offers for free? (I personally only bought my Xbox so I could play Mass Effect 1...now I have ME2 for PS3 and ME3 is on the way).

ToonLink:

Andronicus:

ToonLink:
WHAT?!?!

You obviously dont recognize sarcasm when you hear it.

Actaully, it was quite obviously sarcasm; you were making fun of the fact that a Japanese magazine awarded best platform to a Japanese console, alluding to some kind of bias for Japanese hardware. It just appeared to me that you failed to take into account the fact that another Japanese console was placed last, so I just thought your "sarcasm" was unfounded and irrelevant.

If you meant something else entirely, then I sincerely apologise. However, if this is the case, then you're, like, totally the smartest guy ever and should definitely use sarcasm in all your posts from now on, because they're so obvious and funny.

That last part was sarcasm, by the way.

SteewpidZombie:
Just ask yourself honestly (This only applies to people who own or have played both, cause they will have the least bias), if it wasn't for the Xbox360 exclusive games...would you honestly have bought a system where you PAY for online gameplay that PS3 or PC offers for free? (I personally only bought my Xbox so I could play Mass Effect 1...now I have ME2 for PS3 and ME3 is on the way).

Having tried both, I do have to say I think Xbox Live does offer a better service in general. Plus I remember reading on here recently about the Katherine demo getting pulled from the Japanese PSN because of some crazy bandwith costs the dev or pub has to pay Sony. Yeah, if a "free" service means limited content then I'd rather pay the 75 euro cents a week and go with XBL. Plus with the amount of stuff I buy with gold discounts it really does pay for itself over the year.

Honestly the Xbox Live Arcade selection is the real deal breaker. Castlevania HD alone has lasted me much longer than most other games, then throw in other gems like Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light, DeathSpank, Trials HD, and Limbo to name a few.

What has the PSN got? 5% Mediocrity and 95% Nostalgia. If the shining reason for owning a modern gen console is to play games like FF7 they released 15 years ago then something's VERY messed up.

Andronicus:
Actaully, it was quite obviously sarcasm; you were making fun of the fact that a Japanese magazine awarded best platform to a Japanese console, alluding to some kind of bias for Japanese hardware. It just appeared to me that you failed to take into account the fact that another Japanese console was placed last, so I just thought your "sarcasm" was unfounded and irrelevant.

If you meant something else entirely, then I sincerely apologise. However, if this is the case, then you're, like, totally the smartest guy ever and should definitely use sarcasm in all your posts from now on, because they're so obvious and funny.

Oh come on, you're being needlessly unfair. Out of the 3 consoles it's pretty obvious the Wii is spiraling to 3rd place. The argument here is out of the 2 consoles which have a realistic potential to hit 1st place they placed an unfair bias and bonus to the Sony machine.

Perhaps cultural bias exists in choice. Not because the Japanese believe a Japanese thing to be best, and they are wrong, but it is best, for them, and there fore they are right?

cursedseishi:

Covarr:
Didn't Famitsu give Final Fantasy XIII a 39/40? Their word has become meaningless in the past few years.

P.S. Thanks

Using your opinion of a game as a basis to discredit a magazine is hardly an argument. 39/40 may be a little generous, but the game isn't THAT bad.

Instead you should of called out the giant amount of bias that exists between the "gaijin" Microsoft and then home-grown Sony.

Microsoft has spent little, if any, time on trying to broaden their market to a noticeable extent within Japan, so there is a narrow install base there, and because of that, less focus is placed on it by developers. Why develop an RPG on a system almost no one owns, when you can make it for one everyone owns?

While I do commend them on at least limiting it to a certain extent, its nothing but a little nationalist showboating. The systems are even, plain and simple, the only thing really missing from the 360 is several Japanese-specific RPGs to fatten its rank.

Microsoft tried to purchase exclusivity rights (some became timed exclusives, but were not announced as such) to JRPGs (in Japan) earlier this gen (Infinite Undiscovery, Star Ocean 4, Tales of Vesperia, Last Remnant, Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey). It failed miserably and only served to anger Japanese gamers. They did try though.

Just sayin'

OP: Playstation 3 definitely seemed to be the stronger system in 2010. Quality over Quantity still holds. Most of the games released on the 360 were also released on the PS3. Those that were not (exclusives) were mostly derivative and often of the tired FPS flavour. Even the more "creative" ones like Alan Wake boiled down to being just another shooter. As a result, the 360's sales stagnated for the most part, often ending up at the bottom of the heap (yes, the PSP outsold the 360 for several weeks this year).

Meanwhile, Sony had a great year with the PS3, as they increased sales (closing the overall gap) and released some truly original exclusive titles.

olfelix:
Having all three systems, I have to say our 360s get most of the attention. Taking last year into account we played two games on the PS3 (GOW3 and Boarderlands) as opposed to nearly 10 on the Xbox (Darksiders, Bayonetta, ME2, Dragon Age, Red Dead Redeption, Transformers WFC, Lego Indiana Jones 2, Shadow Complex), I don't recall buying a single title for the Wii.

So you bought a bunch of multi-platform games, two exclusives (GoW3 and Shadow Complex) and a timed exclusive (ME2). Pretty neutral if you ask me.

It might just be personal PS3 bias that causes me to notice that most people's argument is "Japan hates Microsoft" which may be true, but if they were THAT biased wouldn't it be:
1.) PS3
2.) Wii
3.) 360
?

Because Nintendo is still technically a Japanese country, so I'd say that they were being at least a LITTLE more objective than you're accusing them of.

Then again I've always considered PS3 to be better than the 360 by sheer virtue of disc space, I'm still waiting for developers to realize that the PS3 version of a multi-platform game has a TON of extra space that is just not used.

If they'd actually used the full potential of the hardware and disc space the 360 would only be able to compete through exclusives, which are becoming a rarity.

Since this is a console debate, I'm just gonna say that PS3 and 360 can duke it out all they want because they are still only fighting for second place. :P

That said, I am a PC gamer and I call the shots on console wars like I see em.

Frank_Sinatra_:

The_root_of_all_evil:
Sorry, have to say it, no mention of the PC?

It appears to me that a lot of places don't consider the PC to be part of the console wars, or even part of the wars at all.
Such a thing is shameful given that PC's can/have/will give us some of the best gaming has ever offered.

You can't count a PC in the console wars because PC's aren't standard. Every PS3 and 360 is made to factory specs and dumped on the market, whereas a PC has too many variables, one PC may be GODLIKE with all the top-of-the-line hardware, while another may be obsolete garbage.

So PC always CAN be better than a console to the point it doesn't compare, but not all PC's ARE better than consoles. So you really can't compare the two. It's like comparing a red apple (PS3) to a green apple (XBox) to an orange (PC), the orange may be better, but it's disqualified for not being an apple. (Note: the Wii wasn't there on purpose, it's not a game system, it's a toy for old people and children.)

OrokuSaki:
Then again I've always considered PS3 to be better than the 360 by sheer virtue of disc space, I'm still waiting for developers to realize that the PS3 version of a multi-platform game has a TON of extra space that is just not used.

If they'd actually used the full potential of the hardware and disc space the 360 would only be able to compete through exclusives, which are becoming a rarity.

The "Install to hard drive" feature makes this a redundant premise. If it wasn't the fact that Microsoft seem to have a stick up their arse about verifying every single disc in a multi-disc title like FFXIII or ME2 then even the argument of disc swapping being an inconvienience would be thrown out the window. And even so, going back and looking at your argument some more... "a ton of extra space that they could fill" by this token steam games should have hundreds of GB of data because computer hard drives are huge and have a "ton of extra space they could fill", it's a really flawed argument even from the get go...

Deshin:

Andronicus:

Oh come on, you're being needlessly unfair. Out of the 3 consoles it's pretty obvious the Wii is spiraling to 3rd place. The argument here is out of the 2 consoles which have a realistic potential to hit 1st place they placed an unfair bias and bonus to the Sony machine.

You suggest I should just ignore the Wii altogether because it isn't doing as well as it used to, and just focus on those with a "realistic" potential of "winning"? And I'm being unfair? Please. Just remember, although the Wii isn't doing so well now, the XBox was mostly shunned in Japan anyway.

Besides, as OrokuSaki said, if there was a Japanese bias, the rank would be PS3, Wii then XBox. Look, I'm just calling it as I see it; each console had just as much opportunity to win as the others. Not, mind you, that I really care what Famitsu in particular has to say in the matter, but that's just me.

Kroxile:
Since this is a console debate, I'm just gonna say that PS3 and 360 can duke it out all they want because they are still only fighting for second place. :P

The PC is as much of a video game system as an iPhone is. Sure it plays games but that's not the PC's primary function. The primary function of a video games console is to play video games. PC isn't entered into the equation because, by definition, it doesn't qualify to be in the running.

PC gaming is only as big as it is because more people own PCs over consoles because of the PC's primary function of network communication.

ToonLink:
WHAT?!?!

No way! How could that happen, a Japanese made console scores best in Japan?! This is so unbiased that I will literally throw away my three thousand dollar custom made PC and go out and purchase a PS3 right now!

Please, spare me this garbage. Of course they are going to nominate their own console. This is almost as bad as that scene that was stolen from Top Gun and posted on Chinese show.

Deshin:

OrokuSaki:

The "Install to hard drive" feature makes this a redundant premise. If it wasn't the fact that Microsoft seem to have a stick up their arse about verifying every single disc in a multi-disc title like FFXIII or ME2 then even the argument of disc swapping being an inconvienience would be thrown out the window. And even so, going back and looking at your argument some more... "a ton of extra space that they could fill" by this token steam games should have hundreds of GB of data because computer hard drives are huge and have a "ton of extra space they could fill", it's a really flawed argument even from the get go...

True, but Steam is a PC exclusive, which I've already stated, can't be of relevance in a console war. (PC isn't a console and can win hands-down against anything on the market)But the point that I'm trying to make is this: all multi-port games are made twice, once for the 360 AND PS3, and once for the Wii. So why not treat the PS3 and 360 like totally different consoles and develop the games 3 times (As I type this I'm aware it would be a drag on money and resources but I'm idealizing the situation.)? Because while it does seem "unfair" to 360 gamers, they SHOULD be limited by the abilities of their console just like people who thought the Wii could compete as a gaming platform.

I can understand why one wouldn't want to artificially lengthen every game, but for a game that has space on the disk and that you're just going to release DLC for anyways, not adding it to the original game is just a new way to suck $6-$20 out of loyal fans.

Andronicus:
Besides, as OrokuSaki said, if there was a Japanese bias, the rank would be PS3, Wii then XBox.

There's a difference between "biased" and "****ing stupid". No serious magazine like Famitsu, even though Nintendo is Japanese, would think of alluding that as a serious games console the Wii outperforms the 360 in terms of quality of games.

The argument of bias here is because they averaged off a lot of their games, most of which many people feel were rated with bias because, on the whole, Famitsu tends to give Japanese games a higher score. As in Japan there are more Japanese PS3 games than Japanese 360 games it's only natural that the numbers would show PS3 coming ahead but it's still biased and doesn't reflect the consoles or games as a whole. I'm not saying 360 is better then the PS2 at all, but the *reason* Famitsu gave as to why they considered the PS3 better is a reason riddled with bias and obvious shoulder rubbing.

OrokuSaki:
Because while it does seem "unfair" to 360 gamers, they SHOULD be limited by the abilities of their console just like people who thought the Wii could compete as a gaming platform.

I can understand why one wouldn't want to artificially lengthen every game, but for a game that has space on the disk and that you're just going to release DLC for anyways, not adding it to the original game is just a new way to suck $6-$20 out of loyal fans.

But that's where you make no sense at all. Disc space IS NOT LIMITED on the 360, it's not a system limitation. If a company wants to add another 5 GB worth of data they just add an extra disc to the 360 version... it's not rocket science... Look at Final Fantasy XIII: The PS3 version had one blu ray disc and the 360 version had 3 DVDs, they both made up the entirety of the game and if SquareEnix wanted to add more content upon release they'd have just added more discs to both versions. You saying "not adding more to a game because the PS3 version has bigger discs" is as stupid as me saying "not adding more to a game because this 360 game box can easily hold more discs in it."

And a fun fact, though the PlayStation 3 has a stronger Central Processing Unit, the Xbox 360 has the strongest Graphical Processing Unit. Both have their limitations and both surpass the other in specific areas.

The DLC thing is another argument completely. If you think devs release dlc seperately because of the 360's disc space then I'm done with this intelligent debate on the grounds of I refuse to battle an unarmed opponent.

Deshin:

Kroxile:

The PC is as much of a video game system as an iPhone is. Sure it plays games but that's not the PC's primary function. The primary function of a video games console is to play video games. PC isn't entered into the equation because, by definition, it doesn't qualify to be in the running.

PC gaming is only as big as it is because more people own PCs over consoles because of the PC's primary function of network communication.

I'm not 100% on just what you were trying to tell me here, but I think you may have gotten my message mixed up, lol.

I said this being a console debate (meaning PC, which is obviously the superior platform, is exempt) it doesn't matter who wins between PS3 and 360 because the Wii is still killing both platforms. Then I went on to say that I am a PC gamer (to indicate I have no bias in the console market, I really couldn't care less) but I call the shots like I see em (meaning sales figures).

I also know The Escapist is rife with frothing at the mouth Wii hate, but I think most of that comes from the fact that the little console that could is trouncing the "hardcore" gamers' console of choice and they can't stand it. There is a reason why Kinect and Move came out, you know... and it certainly isn't due to Microsoft and Sony having a stroke of innovation.

OT: blah blah blah japanese mag says their own console is better than the americans, blah blah blah

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here