Metro 2034 Will "Compete With Call of Duty"

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Metro 2034 Will "Compete With Call of Duty"

THQ's Danny Bilson says the sequel to Metro 2033 will be a more polished affair that will "compete with the Call of Dutys" but still be a distinctly Russian videogame.

The general consensus about Metro 2033, the 2010 shooter from 4A Games, was fairly typical for Russian (actually Ukrainian) games: brilliantly atmospheric but plagued by stumbling gameplay. But that won't be the case with Metro 2034, according to Bilson, who told IGN that the sequel is getting a whole lot more love than the original.

"The sequel's going to get a lot more support than the first one got both from product development at THQ and marketing," he said. "There were certain things in [Metro 2033], even though it looked sensational, some of the shooting mechanics need to be better polished to compete with the Call of Dutys. They are this time. For marketing it'll get a much more respectful push."

One thing fans of Russian (actually Ukrainian) games don't want to see, however, is an overt Westernization of their franchises. Games like S.T.A.L.K.E.R., Cryostasis and of course Metro 2033 have their own unique flavor which emerges in large part from their bizarre plots and viciously unforgiving nature. Russian (actually Ukrainian) games really are different from their Western counterparts and Bilson said that's one thing THQ has no intention of changing.

"I'm a big supporter of that team in Kiev. It's an original Russian franchise. We don't want to mess with it and Americanize it," he continued. "It's got its own point of view. Even though our guys in Agoura [Hills, THQ's headquarters] did a lot of the work on the fiction, this time it's still that vision. You're going to see a more polished game, you're going to see some crazy technology. We green-lit it before the other one shipped and you're going to see some of it at E3."

THQ said in June 2010 that a 3D version of Metro 2034 is in the works, although there's not yet been any word on platforms or release date.

Aren't they americanising it by changing the shooting mechanics to compete with CoD? I thought the whole point in Metro 2033 was you were just a survivor not Mr. Pop-a-cap McShooterson (or the Ukranian Equivalent).

I like THQ, they seem to be pretty accepting but yearning for something new and awesome. I've seen videos of metro 2033 and felt that the game looked pretty fantastic. I may pre-order homefront just to get it for free.

Can't wait for 2034. '33 was great. Good to hear that they're putting more polish on it.

I still havent got around to buying the game (im broke) but
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

It looked great why make it like CoD ?!

Polish is good for games, but CoD isnt a good FPS game. Imo.

it wont. i wish it would, but it wont.

manythings:
Aren't they americanising it by changing the shooting mechanics to compete with CoD? I thought the whole point in Metro 2033 was you were just a survivor not Mr. Pop-a-cap McShooterson (or the Ukranian Equivalent).

I believe you were looking for Pop-a-cap McShootersky.

My first thought when I read the headline was "then maybe Logan won't whine so fucking much when/if he plays 2034 as he did while playing 2033", lmao. Yeah, I will die before I forget that abomination of a review.

Compete with CoD, to compete with that you need "solid" multiplayer, does this mean that we've got multiplayer incoming?

The only thing i'm wondering is where they'll go with the plot in the sequel.

I mean, they managed to translate the atmosphere from the book quite well in the game, but now they're finished with the book's setting, where do they go?

I can't wait for Metro 2034, I LOVED Metro 2033

Sweet, this can only be a good thing if they do manage to stay away from westernising it.

Compete in a sense of sales, no.
Compete in a sense of gameplay, I really hope not...
Metro 2033 had better than average gameplay, even if nothing unique, and that is already quite a lot.
I don't want to run around spraying at least 100 bullets on the weak monsters failing wave after wave.

this isnt my name:

well, to be honest, Metro 2033 could've used better shooting mechanics

and admit it, the Call of Duty series has excellent shooting mechanics

lolrhyme

Super Jamz:

I mean, they managed to translate the atmosphere from the book quite well in the game, but now they're finished with the book's setting, where do they go?

There is already a sequel book called Metro 2034 in russian (dont know when english transaltion is done)so the story should be no problem.

Also heard that its supposed to become a trilogy with the third book (Metro 2035?) soon to release in Russia.

Super Jamz:

Metro 2034 is also a book :)

edit: Darn, ninja'd by a minute. Sorry Jamz.

OT: Metro 2033 was the most underrated and under-appreciated game of 2010, I say it thusly.

Considering Metro was the first game that 4A EVER MADE, and considering the ludicrous quality of it, I eagerly await the sequel and their attempts to "make it smoother" or however they put it. Though really, a few stronger guns in the sequel wouldn't kill anyone :P

..well, I mean they would kill people, but I meant that in a sort of figure of speech sense not really in a literal sense..

I'm going to have to go with very unlikely on this one

I'd love it if it did, and it really deserves to.

But no, I don't think it will.

Nevertheless I'm still buying it on launch and the book as soon as it's translated :D

teh_Canape:

this isnt my name:

lolrhyme

True I cant argue it was good shooting (when in single player) but "compete with CoD" no, CoD did the SP shooting right, but MP was bad for shooting, and I found the SP levels kinda dull and boring. I prefered MW2s special ops, stealth and other objectives to make it interesting.

Congratulations, you've doomed yourselves.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Just because CoD is popular doesn't meant that's what you should instantly compare every fucking shooter too. The shooting in Metro 2033 was almost completely fixed in the Ranger pack DLC, anyway.

I loved every single radioactive second of METRO 2033 barring the times that Artyom became engrossed in his watch and couldn't look away as Miller went kaboom, and I cannot wait for the sequal, but dont try to ape a game just because its got a big fan base.

Woodsey:

Just because CoD is popular doesn't meant that's what you should instantly compare every fucking shooter too. The shooting in Metro 2033 was almost completely fixed in the Ranger pack DLC, anyway.

I think they are commenting on the production values and polish of the gameplay, not the game's stlye. Personally i don't think THQ have enough clout with 4A games to command them to "make something like CoD". Part of the team that created the pre-alpha versions of STALKER work of 4A games, these are not men of compromise. They want to make a game that will be regarded as being as well poished as something like CoD4 managed.

Personally i didn't find the PC version of Metro 2033 to be broken... really at all. I think it is unfair that Eastern European games get labled "Buggy" yet something like Black Ops can ship with major issues and it is simply glossed over. Yes the 360 port of Metro 2033 was something of a mess and that left a bad taste in some peoples mouths (and it didn't help that many sites didn't use the definative PC version for their reveiws)

I don't think they mean to interfere in the game really at all, i like THQ, i trust THQ in projects like this.

Scrumpmonkey:

Woodsey:

I think they are commenting on the production values and polish of the gameplay, not the game's stlye. Personally i don't think THQ have enough clout with 4A games to command them to "make something like CoD". Part of the team that created the pre-alpha versions of STALKER work of 4A games, these are not men of compromise. They want to make a game that will be regarded as being as well poished as something like CoD4 managed.

Personally i didn't find the PC version of Metro 2033 to be broken... really at all. I think it is unfair that Eastern European games get labled "Buggy" yet something like Black Ops can ship with major issues and it is simply glossed over. Yes the 360 port of Metro 2033 was something of a mess and that left a bad taste in some peoples mouths (and it didn't help that many sites didn't use the definative PC version for their reveiws)

I don't think they mean to interfere in the game really at all, i like THQ, i trust THQ in projects like this.

Well, as you said yourself, its not like CoD actually has particularly high production values or a satisfactory amount of polish.

Metro is just too big of a niche' title. It has an audiance, sure, but it isn't CoD big.

If it does have CoD shooting mechanics, then I'll waste less bullets on the fucking LIBRARIANS! But then that was what made it intense on the PC, losing bullets and fumbling around all survival horror like.

Why does everyone want to compete with the call of duty's. Seriously COD4 is the last awesome game in the series imo. I loved Metro and I can't wait for the sequel.

Woodsey:

Scrumpmonkey:

Woodsey:

Well, as you said yourself, its not like CoD actually has particularly high production values or a satisfactory amount of polish.

Well i used too, i maintain that CoD4 is proabaly one of the tighest shooting games ever made and i admire THQs ambition in tying to make a game that is both essentially russian, still the designers vision but aiming for a level of polish that is on par with the biggest budget games. This is not a bad thing, CoD did used to be very polished... well before Activision raped IW.

On a side note i think the shooting mechanics in CoD have started to leave something to be desired for a 'realisitc' game. In terms of the weight of the weapons, the ballistics and the feel of the combat i think STALKER does a better job of giving you really visceral and grounded gun battles. People go on about STALKER's atmosphere but first and foremost the game NAILS the shooting mechanics. CoD fits more of the "Floating gun" type formula and i think it's combat lacks any real weight or sense of danger.

Competing with Cod is not fucking possible, I can't even fathom why they try.

Next up they're probably going to make a Metro MMO that's going to compete with WoW.

"Compete with" can mean a lot of different things and I think Scrumpmonkey is probably fairly close to the mark: I expect more polish, perhaps a more accessible interface, a little less repetition, a little more forgiveness, a more focused marketing campaign - but not any big changes to the underlying mechanics. It's a tough balance to strike. Russian (actually Ukrainian) shooters, at least those that have made it to our shores, are typically more about survival than about being the big hero, and that's not something our audience is accustomed to. What can you really change when the very nature of the game runs counter to everything Western gamers take for granted in their shooters?

Maybe they mean that the game will be more polished?

Scrumpmonkey:

Woodsey:

Scrumpmonkey:

Well i used too, i maintain that CoD4 is proabaly one of the tighest shooting games ever made and i admire THQs ambition in tying to make a game that is both essentially russian, still the designers vision but aiming for a level of polish that is on par with the biggest budget games. This is not a bad thing, CoD did used to be very polished... well before Activision raped IW.

On a side note i think the shooting mechanics in CoD have started to leave something to be desired for a 'realisitc' game. In terms of the weight of the weapons, the ballistics and the feel of the combat i think STALKER does a better job of giving you really visceral and grounded gun battles. People go on about STALKER's atmosphere but first and foremost the game NAILS the shooting mechanics. CoD fits more of the "Floating gun" type formula and i think it's combat lacks any real weight or sense of danger.

Not to mention the context of Metro 2033 - the guns are DIY pieces of shit for the most part. I think the only true mistake they made with them (pre-Ranger pack) was making dirty bullets do less damage. I'm sure there are other penalties they can inflict instead (worse range, more likely to jam the gun, whatever) that make more sense than having someone survive a shot to the face.

What the Ranger pack did was too simply make ammo more scarce, but then raise it's damage.

Why do games have to compete with cod? Just look at the mmos trying to compete with WoW. They don't succeed, and fps'es trying to compete with CoD won't succeed.

teh_Canape:

this isnt my name:

lolrhyme

Yes, even if you dont like COD overall, it has extremely tight controls.

Andy Chalk:
One thing fans of Russian (actually Ukrainian) games don't want to see, however, is an overt Westernization of their franchises. Games like S.T.A.L.K.E.R., Cryostasis and of course Metro 2033 have their own unique flavor which emerges in large part from their bizarre plots and viciously unforgiving nature. Russian (actually Ukrainian) games really are different from their Western counterparts and Bilson said that's one thing THQ has no intention of changing.

And that is what I wanted to hear. Even the Westerizing of the names in Metro 2033 bothered me a little... :/

Oh Jesus no...

Please don't simplify the gameplay to CoD standards. I bloody hate CoD... -.-

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook