Duke Nukem Forever: Steamworks and Sexy Hats

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Duke Nukem Forever: Steamworks and Sexy Hats

2K Games announced today that the PC version of Duke Nukem Forever will use Steamworks and also took the wraps off some awesome truckin' preorder bonuses.

It seems like just about every new videogame these days has some kind of preorder bonus and Duke Nukem Forever is no exception. Hot on the heels of news about the Balls of Steel Collector's Edition comes word of two unique preorder offers, one from GameStop and one from Walmart.

Lay down your bucks at GameStop and you'll get Duke's Big Package, a downloadable content collection that includes an in-game EGO boost (I have no idea what that is), "Big Head Mode" and a virtual t-shirt pack. Even better, in my ever-so-humble opinion, is Walmart's wildly appropriate offer of a Duke Nukem Forever Trucker Hat! That's right, a real-life DNF big rigger lid that's sure to make you the envy of all the other kids on the block!

Gearbox Community Manager Chris Faylor also revealed on the Duke Nukem Forever forums today that the PC release of the game will incorporate Valve's Steamworks software. "Regardless of where or how you buy Duke Nukem Forever on PC, your purchase will be tied to your Steam account, ensuring that you'll always be able to install a copy of the game even if you lose your disc," he wrote.

Duke Nukem Forever comes out on May 3 for the PC, Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.

And it uses Steamworks? Even more amazing... now if I can just get the money for the Balls of Steel edition...

Yay I can get it on Steam!

Is it weird that I assumed the hat would be in Team Fortress 2?

Thats rather nice of them. Just pushed my chances of buying the game from probably not to very likely.

sheic99:

No, I did the exact same thing

$20 on a niftier, newer version of the Hound Dog hat for the Heavy from preordering this on Steam.

sheic99:

No, considering "Steam" and "hats" were in the same sentence.

Herp a derp.

If you had told me when the game was first announced that it would come out so far in the future that not only would it be released to a digital distribution platform and the whole thing could be downloaded legally off the internet, but also that I would have a credit card in which to use said platform, I would have have right then lost all faith in entertainment marketing and that would have saved me a great deal of grief.

Okay, can someone explain to me about the wal mart preorder. If I go to Walmart and pre order DNF, will I get the hat at the time of the preorder or when I pick the game up on the release date?

WTF...Big Head Mode is GAMESTOP ONLY...RAGGGEEEGEGGEGEGEGGGEEGEGEGEGEGGEGE

There's not nearly enough bikinis and alien corpses to qualify that as a Duke Nukem hat!

Steamworks? Not surprising, seeing as Valve and Gearbox have some good history with each other.

So first they bad-mouth Valve and say that they don't trust them and now DNF uses Steamworks? I don't get Gearbox sometimes.

sheic99:

Not weird at all. That was the first thing that came to my mind when I read the title.

sheic99:

That's what I was thinking as well.

The fact that this game will be linked to steam regardless of purchase makes me happy, means I can get the balls of steel edition :O

Big head mode? BIG HEAD MODE?

BIG HEAD MODE?

Awesome.
Cool hat too, shame I don't look very good in hats.

Using steamworks, one more game that I will have to cross of my buy list. I am now down to one or maybe two games this entire year.
When I first heard about this years line up there where 11 game on it, but one by one DRM has strip them from the list, only one was removed because trouble with the game itself.

A game has to be on a way cheap sale before I will put up with the hassle that is steam.

sheic99:

Nope, I did it too. And so did half the people reading this thread by the looks of it.

Portal Maniac:

No, considering "Steam" and "hats" were in the same sentence.

Herp a derp.

I lol'd. :D

I want this. I WANT THIS. WAAANT.

I assume Valve will do SOME kind of TF2 tie-in. Like they do with everything.

EGO is the game's name for the health bar if I remember correctly from some of the gameplay videos, which sounds like a bit of a cop-out if you get a bigger health bar as a distributor-exclusive pre-order bonus.
The best pre-order bonuses are the ones that don't upset the balance of the game very much (if at all), as otherwise it's slipping down the slope of paying extra money making things much easier by making you more powerful.

Andy Chalk:
Even better, in my ever-so-humble opinion, is Walmart's wildly appropriate offer of a Duke Nukem Forever Trucker Hat!

A trucker hat? That's awesome. I won't be buying this game but it's still awesome. If only KOF came with a Terry Bogard Trucker's hat. I'd beat down the doors of that establishment to get my preorder in.

linwolf:
Using steamworks, one more game that I will have to cross of my buy list. I am now down to one or maybe two games this entire year.
When I first heard about this years line up there where 11 game on it, but one by one DRM has strip them from the list, only one was removed because trouble with the game itself.

A game has to be on a way cheap sale before I will put up with the hassle that is steam.

Wha-

Bu-

You have 53 games on Steam!

Duke headbutting aliens with the big head mode has potential.

sheic99:

i think it's far too early to assume that won't end up happening anyway

linwolf:

Steam's a hassle? News to me.

<checks your Steam account>

WHAT THE HELL, MAN! Impostor devil's advocate, much?

Anyways, I wasn't intending to buy it, but MAN, that's a nice hat.

Steam = no buy. Ever. F**k them.

Sgt. Sykes:

Tell us how you really feel. I still haven't gotten a decent anti-Steam argument.

decisions decisions...

and then there's Bulletstorm versus this...

I'll be playing through Duke Nukem 3d...see if that helps influence/cause bias in my decision haha

Now instead of waiting forever for it, it now forever stays with you.

Now, am I the only one who saw this?

lacktheknack:

Sgt. Sykes:

Tell us how you really feel. I still haven't gotten a decent anti-Steam argument.

Gonna have to go with Sgt. Steam is pretty much god's gift to gamers. The only users that didn't like it was that one Mac guy.

Good thing I'm ordering this one for my X360, then.

Why is that, you ask? Because you can bet your powdered bottom that the Steam localization curse will hit us German gamers like the cheap bitch it is, and that it will automatically cripple the game and turn it into something decidedly non-Duke, even if you purchase an uncut copy from abroad.

Steam can be a godsend sometimes, but in cases like this it can go die in a fire for all I care.

Woodsey:

linwolf:

Wha-

Bu-

And I never paid more than 15 for any of them and if you remove three never more than 10. I might stress it to 20 if the game seemed really good but any more and the DRM would make it a no go for me.
I never said steam was bad it is for older game that GOG doesn't have and you can't get anywhere else or game on a really good sale where the cheaper price make up for the DRM. But buying a new game, never.

Beastialman:

lacktheknack:

Sgt. Sykes:

Gonna have to go with Sgt. Steam is pretty much god's gift to gamers. The only users that didn't like it was that one Mac guy.

Umm, Sgt. was the anti-Steam one...

linwolf:

Woodsey:

linwolf:

Wha-

Bu-

And I never paid more than 15 for any of them and if you remove three never more than 10. I might stress it to 20 if the game seemed really good but any more and the DRM would make it a no go for me.
I never said steam was bad it is for older game that GOG doesn't have and you can't get anywhere else or game on a really good sale where the cheaper price make up for the DRM. But buying a new game, never.

What DRM?

Yeah, short post, but I still haven't gotten an answer for this either.

linwolf:

Woodsey:

linwolf:

Wha-

Bu-

How come?

sheic99:

Who saying it eventionally won't be?

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or