Pokémon Card Game Goes Full Circle and Becomes a Videogame Again

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Pokémon Card Game Goes Full Circle and Becomes a Videogame Again

The card game is heading online for the first time in a flash-based web game.

The Pokémon Company is turning the videogame-inspired Pokémon collectible card game back into an online video game that will launch this spring.

The game will launch with three pre-made decks to play with. Players will also be able to use decks from the upcoming Black & White expansion, by using codes that come with the decks themselves.

The game will have 12 computer opponents with varying personalities and strategies which will supposedly challenge players at any skill level. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like the game will have any facility to play against other people, but that could always come later on if there's sufficient demand for it.

It's not the first time the card game has been turned into a videogame - Pokémon Trading Card Game for the Game Boy Color has that distinction - but it is the first time it's been playable online. Better still, the game is free, so you'll be able to play even if you've never bought a Pokémon card in your life. You can get updates on Pokémon Trainer Challenge via the official website, and the game itself launches on April 6th.

Source: Kotaku

Damn it I want another Pokemon Card game like the one on game boy, sad day.

Teebs2:

That game kicked ass! So did the battle music from what I recall...what am I talking about, to youtube for evidence!

Yay! More Pokemanz to collect! I must Catch them all! Oh wait that's not their slogan anymore is it >:(

Teebs2:

I remember playing this for hours, but my brother lost it when we were on vacation in London... I've been missing it ever since.

Wait... I can, er, fully legally obtain the game...

Excuse me for the next twenty hours or so.

Awh, I was hoping that it would be a DS title.
I never really got into Pokémon Trading Cards but I do have fond memories of playing the Gameboy Version.

Seriously guys? Is this really necessary? Why not focus on a pokemon MMO or something?

I remember owning a Pokemon Card Game Video Game on the PC. It had 1 opponent who had only water types and my deck only had fighting and ground based types. Sometime's I'd win, sometime's I'd loose. It was decent, but I wished I had more then just Machomps and Diglets.

I will certainly give this game a try however.

I remember one for the PC ages ago, it was so fun! but the music and the women narrator was piss annoying.

Can't wait for this =D

Phlakes:

Teebs2:

I remember playing this for hours, but my brother lost it when we were on vacation in London... I've been missing it ever since.

Damn it nintendo, why keep making the new shitty spin offs of pokemon and just make new versions of the old shitty pokemon spin-offs.

Fucking Snap and Pinball need to make a come-back right now, and maybe Hey you Pikachu.

Pokemon Channel doesn't count!

Novania:
Seriously guys? Is this really necessary? Why not focus on a pokemon MMO or something?

Do you know how hard that would be to programme? with all the regions, Pokemon, items, characters, and the eventually trainers? as an RPG i can understand, but and MMO is pushing it.

Yay. I love playing TCGs and CCGs online. All the fun, none of the money.

arc1991:
Can't wait for this =D

Ya'know? We probably could have guessed that from your Avatar :p

Uuuuuuh, this happened a while ago.

Teebs2:

Phlakes:

Teebs2:

Damn it nintendo, why keep making the new shitty spin offs of pokemon and just make new versions of the old shitty pokemon spin-offs.

Fucking Snap and Pinball need to make a come-back right now, and maybe Hey you Pikachu.

Pokemon Channel doesn't count!

Yes to all of these. But only the original Pinballs, especially with that Meowth minigame. And Hey You Pikachu and Snap could both be epic Wii games, especially if they could make a better microphone peripheral for the former.

Sooooooo it's Pokémon: Duels of the Trainers?

Looks interesting, I shall sign-up and check it out

vrbtny:

arc1991:
Can't wait for this =D

Ya'know? We probably could have guessed that from your Avatar :p

What's your point? *squints eyes and looks in your direction*

It's not like i comment on anything to do with Pokemon /sarcasm *Rolls eyes*

No custom decks=Insta fail. Sorry.

I'm hoping this doesn't share a business model with Magic Online (you have to buy digital versions of the cards. Every. Single. One of them.)

Snotnarok:

Teebs2:

That game kicked ass! So did the battle music from what I recall...what am I talking about, to youtube for evidence!

this for sure, i remember when you pulled off a fire blast attack, it actually MEANT something and you pulled a "HOLY SHIT!" moment.

that game was epic and it seriously needs a comeback...

That Pokemon card game on the Game Boy was a massive twat to me. Seriously, it would beat the silly out of my face for no apparent reason.

Novania:

sweet jesus christ this needs to happen!

Great now i just need to remeber how to play this. it has been what 12 years since i played the card game

Mr.Mattress:
I remember owning a Pokemon Card Game Video Game on the PC. It had 1 opponent who had only water types and my deck only had fighting and ground based types. Sometime's I'd win, sometime's I'd loose. It was decent, but I wished I had more then just Machomps and Diglets.

I will certainly give this game a try however.

ooooh yeah! i liked that game! i think i've still got it somewhere in fact...

and yeah, this looks good! i'll definately give it a look

Here's to hoping that it turns out better than Duels of the Planeswalkers...

So, it's a video game, based on a card game, made popular by another video game which had you play said card game, which was originally based on another video game.

I will have a look as soon as my head stops hurting.

alik44:
Great now i just need to remeber how to play this. it has been what 12 years since i played the card game

Don't sweat: It's Magic but designed for kids.

And Magic for me just consists of random dumb luck (Drawing 9 mana in a fucking row isn't skill at all) or having some absolutely absurd BS card that requires a VERY specific scenario that MUST be co-op'd with your opponent in order to happen in order for the ONE chance to crop up that would allow you to counter it.

*according to the Steam/XBLA Magic's puzzle mode.

I remember being the only one of my friends who learned how to play instead of just collection the cards. So much fun.

Snotnarok:

Teebs2:

It did. I've been playing it recently. I dunno why, I just had sudden pangs of nostalgia for some of my old Pokemon games.

Teebs2:

They never made a sequel to that game, did they?

Snotnarok:

Teebs2:

There was a really cheap thing you could do. You make a deck for an element (a grass deck for a rock gym), but pick one actual pokemon (like zubat), grab a couple copies and the evolution, and stack the rest with 'type cards'. I only did it on the rock gym (I was looking for some card, forget what it was though) using zubat's leech life for easy wins.

Marik2:

Teebs2:

They never made a sequel to that game, did they?

I think they had more than one, yes. Not sure, though.

OT: Online, you say? They've taken the Magic route. Nice.

Awesome, I still wish they had made another one since Gameboy Advance where you could travel around, make your own decks etc. But this will suffice,

Let me unveil the mystery: You could play TCG Pokemon Online waaaaaay before.

You need a ROM of TCG Pokemon, give it to your friends.
Use the following tool: http://emulator-zone.com/doc.php/gameboy/tgbdual.html
Enjoy!

Hopefully I won internets. Not that anyone cares ;)

Right, this was a reaction guys in reverse for me.

"Pokémon card game becomes a video game again"
YEAH!

"The card game is heading online for the first time in a flash-based web game. ... Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like the game will have any facility to play against other people"
Excitement is gone.

Give us a full DS or 3DS version with Wi-Fi support for playing (not the Pokémon Ranger kind of Wi-Fi where it's just to unlock new missions, but you can't play the co-op missions over Wifi). Pleeeeeeeease?

Biosophilogical:
There was a really cheap thing you could do. You make a deck for an element (a grass deck for a rock gym), but pick one actual pokemon (like zubat), grab a couple copies and the evolution, and stack the rest with 'type cards'. I only did it on the rock gym (I was looking for some card, forget what it was though) using zubat's leech life for easy wins.

Ah, I remember find out online to do that with Mewtwo cards. They called it the "Mulligan Mewtwo" deck.

Novania:

Because there is no point for a Pokémon MMO. I will never understand why people would want such a thing. You already have the important parts, trading and battling, online already. What are you going to gain by having a bunch of nooblets following you around asking for money or if they can haz Charizard while you do the other bits?

A Pokémon MMO would quite possibly be the worst thing to happen to gaming since Sony decided that inFamous should have a sequel.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.