Stan Lee Media Suing Founder and Namesake, Stan Lee

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Stan Lee Media Suing Founder and Namesake, Stan Lee

Years after the fact, Stan Lee Media Inc. is finally going to get its chance to sue comics legend Stan Lee for improperly transferring rights to his characters.

In an attempt to wrangle back control of many of Lee's characters, Stan Lee Media Inc. has submitted a complaint to the court, claiming to be the rightful owner of the characters currently controlled by Marvel.

The trouble started in 1998, which is when Stan Lee Media Inc. claims Lee transferred ownership of his characters to his company. When the company declared bankruptcy in 2000 Lee moved ownership from it to his other companies, POW! Entertainment and QED Productions.

Eventually, the characters ended up in Marvel's (and by extension, Disney's) hands due to a settlement between Marvel and Lee, and have been there for several years. Marvel has made several movies using the contested characters so losing them would be a heavy blow to the company.

And it is here that the tangled web of lawsuits and bankruptcies gets confusing. Stan Lee Media Inc. was originally a subsidiary of Stan Lee Media (no Inc.), which went bankrupt. Stan Lee Media Inc. argues that all property rights then transferred to the subsidiary company, including the characters signed over by Stan Lee himself in 1998 that were moved to POW! Entertainment, QED Productions, and Marvel. It also contends that Lee signed over all his characters, not just those he created while at Stan Lee Media, and so the characters Marvel currently owns are also at risk.

Finally, after years of bickering, failed lawsuits, and bankruptcies, Stan Lee Media Inc. has gotten the go-ahead from California Federal Judge Stephen Wilson to pursue a lawsuit against Stan Lee, POW! Entertainment, and QED Productions. Oddly, Marvel (and parent company Disney) have been left out of the list of defendants in the suit. I guess I wouldn't want to have to contend with Disney's lawyers, either.

Source: The Hollywood Reporter

oh and you think Stan Lee will be alive long enough to see the end of this? what is he 90 something?

So rich get richer poor get poorer, and People sue over things that are dumb. I really don't see the significance of this case other than it seems that Stan Lee Media Inc. is greed and also a pansy for not including marvel on the list because if they did they know they would lose. And from my point of view it sounds like they should.

this is an outrage! Stan should send Hulk to kick some lawyer's ass ! fucking rapacious, greedy suitmen...

Well I think I speak for a lot of people here when I say:
.... What?

Even though Disney and Marvel aren't mentioned in the suit you can bet your bottom that now Disney owns Marvel they will unleash their unholy army of lawyers on these people.

They need to win the lawsuit against those other companies in order to set precedent and stand a chance against disney.

Death_Korps_Kommissar:
.... What?

Hear, hear!

Go back to 28 years from date of publication for length of copyright. This whole thing goes away.

Fuck any fallout. If we could handle the Civil War over the moral question of US slavery, we can take the hit over releasing human culture from the bonds of RENT, easily.

It would be TOTALLY worth it to avoid this level of ABSOLUTE ABSURDITY ever occurring again.

This is Bullcrap, Stan lee made these characters, I don't care what pieces of paper say, HE MADE THEM.
This company wouldn't exist without him his name is their company's name, this is the epitome of corruption in this world.

This is what is going to happen. Disney provides Stan with all the Law support he needs. They aren't stupid.

gibboss28:

Death_Korps_Kommissar:
.... What?

Hear, hear!

Yeah, I can agree with that sentiment.

Lillowh:
So rich get richer poor get poorer, and People sue over things that are dumb. I really don't see the significance of this case other than it seems that Stan Lee Media Inc. is greed and also a pansy for not including marvel on the list because if they did they know they would lose. And from my point of view it sounds like they should.

I actually dont see why Marvel/Disney shouldnt counter-sue because of that fact that they own the characters that Stan Lee signed over to them.

but then again, im not an expert of lawsuits, so maybe Marvel/Disney really cant step in and keep what they already own............damn, I didnt think I was going to be defending Disney today though Im still a bit pissed they have Marvel now.

Oh, come on. If rights are transferred as a result of this legal action, the consumer will be the biggest loser once again, because this shit always leads to most - if not all - shows, comics etc connected to said action being cancelled, leaving a pile of stuff unresolved forever.
For example, I do not want the new Avengers show to be killed halfway in. I will murder someone if that happens.

This just sounds stupid, there suing the man who is the name of their company. Besides he's the one who made the characters to begin with.

Just how powerful is Disney Lawyers?

Magenera:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiCznGaex2c

FogHornG36:
oh and you think Stan Lee will be alive long enough to see the end of this? what is he 90 something?

He was bit by a radioactive publisher. He'll live forever.

FogHornG36:

I could be wrong but hasn't he had cancer? Do the plan on just stealing his will?

I'm confused but moreso disgusted. Suing the man who's name is in your fucking title!? Seems a bit mutinous does it not?

Death_Korps_Kommissar:
.... What?

Reading that made my brain explode a bit. That will be one mess of a lawsuit.

Stan Lee is seems like such a nice guy. It's a shame that this non-sense has to go on. Why can't we just let things be?

Death_Korps_Kommissar:
.... What?

right on the nose :P

KeyMaster45:
Even though Disney and Marvel aren't mentioned in the suit you can bet your bottom that now Disney owns Marvel they will unleash their unholy army of lawyers on these people.

why did i imagined a skelleton hand pointing whilst in the backgrownd a red sky in a black earth thoudsands of suits walk forward!?

and i was just seing a cartoon in Disney XD where Cpt America just woke up and fought Ironman and other super heroes, i was even going to comment that the cartoon looks well made and reminds me a lot of my childhood, even though its a new series.

also, come on! oldest trick in the book, Mayor company goes down, they create a subsidiary whilst no one is looking, transfer some of its assets there as to allow it to live on, declare bankrupcy saving something behind the smoke and after things have cooled down a bit, claim ownership in some of the properties (the ones that still remain) from the parent company

hell, it might even work!, xcept its ILLEGAL and obviously a scream for "LETS SETTLE OUT OF COURT"

So comes the time when the barons try to overthrow the king. Not so cool, man, not so cool.

Twilight_guy:
Stan Lee is seems like such a nice guy. It's a shame that this non-sense has to go on. Why can't we just let things be?

Money. Without control of the characters, Stan Lee Media, Inc doesn't see any money out of the movies. Comic books these days are quickly turning into a loss-market and best kept around for tax write-offs. Movies are where the money is.

I call Shenanigans on this madness!

marcus75:

Magenera:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiCznGaex2c

They are a sith lord with power of gods. I wouldn't want to face them either. Does this mean Disney is capable of suing the world and win?

Death_Korps_Kommissar:
.... What?

Second.
Sounds like one hell of a cluster fuck to me. If I actually understand any of that, which I probably don't, I fail to see how Stan Lee Media INC. has a case since the characters were all signed over to Marvel... eventually. o_O Ow... brain hurting...

See, Disney needs to step in willingly. Pay for the defense and offer legal advice. The whole nine yards. Then, Stan Lee needs to counter sue for the company using his name. I'm sure there's a loophole somewhere.

*Reads it once* This doesn't make any sense.
*Reads again* Oh, well I don't think I care much. Juggling wrights to earn more profits and avoid bankruptcy, but then someone says : I don't think so buddy. I worked for this and I want a piece of the pie.

FogHornG36:

Stan Lee ages according to comic book time.

Then Stan Lee COUNTER sues for unlawful use of his name.

So Stan Lee is suing Stan Lee because Stan Lee did something Stan Lee didn't like?

(Oh hell, I've started to drool...)

If this affects the avengers movie, the company may be destroyed entirely by very very angry fans.

Ossian:
This is Bullcrap, Stan lee made these characters, I don't care what pieces of paper say, HE MADE THEM.
This company wouldn't exist without him his name is their company's name, this is the epitome of corruption in this world.

Really? Because I think the epitome of corruption is making something, selling it to somebody else, and then claiming that since you made it, it's still yours and suing the person you sold it to for more money. Which is what I think is going on here.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here