[UPDATE] Dead Island Trailer Buzz Ensures Movie Deal

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

[UPDATE] Dead Island Trailer Buzz Ensures Movie Deal

After the release of its very popular trailer, Dead Island is under negotiations to become a feature film.

The teaser trailer for Dead Island, released just a couple of days ago, soared through the internet and has already accumulated millions of viewers. This viral popularity put the owners of the movie rights in a very happy position, with many different filmmakers courting them to try to make a deal.

Though the recent trailer brought Dead Island into the limelight, Techland has been working on the game for more than two years. Deadline reports that production companies Sean Daniel Company, of Mummy fame, and Union Entertainment acquired the movie rights to the game a year ago. Today, that's looking like a smart buy.

Studios are reportedly banging down SDC and UE's doors, suggesting plotlines and talent to star in the Dead Island movie. These plans are likely to be hammered out soon. Deadline also says that the film will follow a Memento-like storyline, which shows the end of the movie first, similar to the teaser.

Based on popularity, the movie deal seems like a good idea. However, the teaser is basically nothing but an incredible CG short film that might not even be a part of the game. The game itself hasn't been shown yet aside from seven screenshots.

It seems a little early for studios to climb over each other to get to these movie rights when all we've seen is a teaser, but I know its effect will make me pay attention to a Dead Island film. The teaser is one of the most moving works of zombie media I've ever seen, so if a movie can recapture that feeling I'm all for it. If not, it's easily ignored.

Update: Now Joystiq is reporting that Deep Silver, Dead Island's publisher, says that the movie rights to the game haven't been sold yet. It is, however, entertaining "a vast amount of inquiries," so the movie will probably still happen.

Source: Deadline, Joystiq

Kinda rushed, I think. It'll probably go through production hell, get a decent producer or director, then get shut down after a few years.

Bah, they're just scuttling like bottom-feeders to a new zombie story.

This whole sudden Dead Island craze isn't going to end well, I can just sense it...

please... no more zombies... please
I'm bored to tears with zombies
when's the zombie teen romance movie series coming out already?

For both this and Alice they say they're going with a Memento-like style. I can just see it, three years from now in what seemed like a normal summer to begin with, we'll suddenly be bombarded with confusing, out of order videogame movies.

This won't end well...

The trailer was fantastic of course, but this just seems like a cash grab.

I really hate the trailer. I feel it crosses a line somewhere, but ignoring that, I think getting a movie deal based off a trailer alone? Seems too hasty... Just because the trailers popular, the game could end up being a piece of crap...

Well, only time will tell I suppose...

Seems to me as if it's extremely premature to start talking about a movie deal, especially with just the trailer to go on.

But hey, it's their money, not mine.

I studied Memento and while its structure may feel like a gimmick to some, it serves a real purpose within the story and the film. The Dead Island trailer uses it to stand out, and clearly that worked, but the actual game and story will have no need for the reverse narrative. I can only see this turning out to be a generic zombie story (as if we don't have enough to choose from already) disguised as something more by being told backwards. Unless there's some twist that can only be effective if the story begins at the end, it's pointless.

Oh boy.

More zombies.

How *yawn* exciting.

Watching the trailer, I suspect the time-reversing thing is just a gimmick for the trailer. The game itself looks like a generic zombie yarn, like there's another kind of zombie yarn, with the location being the main draw as it's a tropical island resort. This pits some very unprepared people against the dull as dishwater shambling horde in a slightly unique environment since hotels are deathtraps.

No one usually thinks about this when staying at a hotel, but they seem designed to fuck you in an emergency. The tight corridors and limited access can make them defensible, but there's also limited escape routes if you need them, either. The island settling is also constraining, limiting the number of places to hide from boring monstrosities.

So as a game, it might have potential, although it might be better as a Left 4 Dead expansion.

I sincerely doubt if the time reversed thing in the trailer has anything to do with the game. I think all of those people speculating it does are setting themselves up for an heroic amount of disappointment. I hope they get it because they deserve it.

The potential for a movie, on the other hand, is dead on the floor. There is nothing new here than another, just as bad movie has not already done. So this will be attempting to trade on the name recognition alone since there is no substance. Which will fare poorly for the film if the game disappoints in the amounts mentioned above. but as an obvious cash-in, they deserve it as well.

Very rushed, but still DO WANT.

Oh wow, I'm starting to get that nagging chilling feeling that happens when people start to realize how much money they could make by milking a property to death before it's even released.

It's a shame too. I love zombies (please don't flame me) and I've been waiting a long time for someone to do a more serious, human, take on the genre. Dead Island has that promise but I fear nothing good can come of this level of exposure...

But all they've had to base it on is a trailer and a handful of screenshots!

Xzi:
For both this and Alice they say they're going with a Memento-like style. I can just see it, three years from now in what seemed like a normal summer to begin with, we'll suddenly be bombarded with confusing, out of order videogame movies.

Oh Nolan, you crazy bastard. This was your plan all along, wasn't it?

Guess this is what happens when you do it properly, people want to make a movie about it. Good on them, even if it is just a bit early.

Okay, now that just seems silly. It's just a trailer. The game hasn't even been released yet. They don't even know if the game itself will even be as popular as the trailer. Maybe when the game comes out, critics and players alike will decide it's a huge disappointment, causing it to have few fans, causing the movie to have few viewers as a result of few fans, not to mention the low expectations of video game movies.

I cant see why people keep saying zombies have been done to death, pun intended. There havent realy been that many high-end zombie centered video games series beyond left 4 dead and dead rising, and id count that as two in my book, weve had a red dead redemption D/L content and some extras like the end of world at war and black ops.
Books i could say have been done to death on zombies, movies/filums definatley, but i havent been satisfied properly on the interactive fiction front, I want something done like dead island is proposing, just hope they dont bugger it all up.

I get the feeling they don't care about the game, all they really want is the concept.

"Memento with zombies" is a pretty good descriptor.

I can't help but feel that this is a smart move by the movie companies. Dead Island is going to get a lot of attention after that viral trailer, which means a lot of brand recognition. All the game has to do is not be terrible and people will flock to the movie. In fact, even if the game is terrible a lot of people on YouTube and other sights will have seen the trailer, but have no interest in games; they wouldn't even know if the game utterly bombed.

Too much hype, not enough gameplay footage or knowing a single thing about the mechanics of the game!

I hope the game is in reverse, so it starts off with a big climactic battle with zombies, and the end game is a vacation simulator (mash A to enjoy pina colada). The last boss is packing your clothes and driving away to the airport in reverse.

All you people seem caught up in this idea that, to make a movie off of a game, the game needs to be perfect. Or that the game even needs to be released. Or that anything at all needs to be known about the game.

If any of you knew anything about the game, aside from the fact that there's a trailer out (this is actually the second trailer they've released) you'd know the developers have stated time and again that it was always their intention for story to take a back seat to zombie-killing fun.

Why does a game need to be released for them to make the movie? Why does it matter if all we've seen is the trailer? The concept is interesting, and they've certainly got their name out there, now, with this sudden popularity surge. That's already halfway through the marketing process for the movie, and it wouldn't be that hard to write up a script - hell, it wouldn't even be that hard to write up a good script.

Also, oh look, DeadIslandGame.com is back up for the first time in at least a year.

Wait just a minute folks...I wouldn't be so quick to judge this one.

It's not as if they're lining up to do a cheap action flick based on an already popular licence. And hell, while videogames are a little zombie-crowded (but hey, ain't crowding things what they do best?) films aren't really. Aside from the tv series the walking dead, and some straight to DVD releases (some good, most terrible) there hasn't been a decent zombie film in quite some time, with the only current films being the questionable but harmless resident evil series, and the fantastic rec series, which has two more films in the pipeline.

It seems to me that they just saw this as a good concept and wanted to get started on it nice and early. This may be because the trailer showed great understanding of how zombie films, and horror films, scare people.

Spoilered for length, but please read if you have the time.

Basically, this is a simple, but brilliant premise, and I can't blame film companies for wanting to pick it up ASAP. Sure it could be terrible, it could be a cash in, but I'm going to give this one a chance.

Phlakes:
Kinda rushed, I think. It'll probably go through production hell, get a decent producer or director, then get shut down after a few years.

And this year's winner for recognizing patterns is...
OT: What he said. I just can't see a movie for this being released, especially when we no next to nothing about the game itself. Not only that, but haven't we learned by now that any movie related to video games in any way is destined to fail?

no space:
All you people seem caught up in this idea that, to make a movie off of a game, the game needs to be perfect. Or that the game even needs to be released. Or that anything at all needs to be known about the game.

If any of you knew anything about the game, aside from the fact that there's a trailer out (this is actually the second trailer they've released) you'd know the developers have stated time and again that it was always their intention for story to take a back seat to zombie-killing fun.

Why does a game need to be released for them to make the movie? Why does it matter if all we've seen is the trailer? The concept is interesting, and they've certainly got their name out there, now, with this sudden popularity surge. That's already halfway through the marketing process for the movie, and it wouldn't be that hard to write up a script - hell, it wouldn't even be that hard to write up a good script.

Also, oh look, DeadIslandGame.com is back up for the first time in at least a year.

I think it's because they're basing how successful their movie will be off the popularity of a trailer. It's just a trailer, it doesn't prove anything about the concept, and hell it doesn't even show the concept. Memento with zombies? The game itself probably has nothing to do with backwards storytelling, and it took a trailer to come up with that? Pshaw.

It's too early to base anything's popularity on anything, just because the video's gone viral doesn't mean it's going to last.

But as for the game, I want to wait until we see some gameplay footage. It's certainly gotten my interest, and those screenshots look gorgeous, so we'll see what Techland comes up with.

And if the trailer is anything to go by, Techland better not fuck up.

Doclector:
Wait just a minute folks...I wouldn't be so quick to judge this one.

It's not as if they're lining up to do a cheap action flick based on an already popular licence. And hell, while videogames are a little zombie-crowded (but hey, ain't crowding things what they do best?) films aren't really. Aside from the tv series the walking dead, and some straight to DVD releases (some good, most terrible) there hasn't been a decent zombie film in quite some time, with the only current films being the questionable but harmless resident evil series, and the fantastic rec series, which has two more films in the pipeline.

It seems to me that they just saw this as a good concept and wanted to get started on it nice and early. This may be because the trailer showed great understanding of how zombie films, and horror films, scare people.

Spoilered for length, but please read if you have the time.

Basically, this is a simple, but brilliant premise, and I can't blame film companies for wanting to pick it up ASAP. Sure it could be terrible, it could be a cash in, but I'm going to give this one a chance.

Great analysis, I love reading different interpretations and whatnot. The game certainly has potential, as does the movie, but only time will tell if Techland will successfully go down that route.

The cynic in me says they're going to fuck it up somehow. The optimist also say that...

This wont work, the only reason the trailer got so much atention was controversy. A movie can have controversy but still be bad see human centerpede as an example.

looks more like a survival horror-ish style zombie game from the screenshots which could be interesting.

I'd just like to point out that this game, just like Bulletstorm and The Witcher 2, is developed in Poland.

;)

Eh, movie? Somebody is going to fuck that up. My crystal ball tells me it'll be another B movie, worthy of beer and some friends, watching it on dvd.

On the second half, dear god I am going to need to get a new computer to play this game in all its gory glory.

LavaLampBamboo:
I really hate the trailer. I feel it crosses a line somewhere

Parent?

OT:Seems a bit hasty to make a movie out of it, but yeah an island full of zombies is a quick and thorough ''you're fucked'' to anyone on that island, lots of untapped opportunities.

this isnt my name:
This wont work, the only reason the trailer got so much atention was controversy. A movie can have controversy but still be bad see human centerpede as an example.

Bullshit, I call it.

The trailer was also beautiful in every way, have you not noticed all the anger, love, concern in that trailer? never before have i seen such desperation on videogame faces.

To compare it to the human centipede is controversial.

Ace: What, do people get a Tax cut if they make zombie games and movies? Is a way to teach people how to live? Are we becoming so ignorant as how to use an Axe? What the hell? ENOUGH! The only thing I will forgive is Nazi Zombies in Space with Lazer guns, and no, Dead Space is not a zombie game you bloody hoplites.

Angel: Oh dear, this is not going to end well, I wish them the best though.

Luigi: YAY! More zombies! I love 'em! More fun for me...although I hope I can watch the movie on my PC, would suck if it was a PS3/360 exclusive.

rokkolpo:

LavaLampBamboo:
I really hate the trailer. I feel it crosses a line somewhere

Parent?

OT:Seems a bit hasty to make a movie out of it, but yeah an island full of zombies is a quick and thorough ''you're fucked'' to anyone on that island, lots of untapped opportunities.

Nope, I'm a 20 year old student. I just feel that the trailer doesn't have constantly reinforce the fact they are a happy family. I get it, sometimes bad shit happens to undeserving people but I don't need to see the girl die then kill her parents. It's just unnecessary.

Probably won't end well. Actually, to anyone who has seen the trailer, if that little girl didn't wear flip flops, she would've escaped.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here