PlayStation Move Hacked to Prove Earth's Rotation ... Again

PlayStation Move Hacked to Prove Earth's Rotation ... Again

While its motion sensing cousin gets all of the hype, the accuracy of the PlayStation Move can provide some really awesome data that previously required specifically designed instruments.

Back in the day, and I mean way back, we humans were not so sure what happened up in the sky. Sure, it looked like the sun moved around us, as did the moon, and the stars all rotated in the sky in a pattern that suggested that the Earth was at the center of it all. But then a guy named Nicolaus Copernicus posited that the Earth in fact revolved around the sun and the day and night cycle was caused by Earth's rotation on an axis. His theories were revolutionary and controversial, and the championing of the heliocentric view of our solar system landed Galileo in house arrest by none other than the Catholic Pope in Rome.

It wasn't until 1851 that a portion of Copernicus' heliocentric theory was convincingly proved when Léon Foucault used a pendulum to record changes in motion consistent with Earth's rotation. Of course, that pendulum weighed more than 62 pounds and was suspended from 255 foot ceiling. Even if you were to try to recreate Foucoult's pendulum nowadays, you'd have to be pretty careful that you don't futz with any lateral motion, produce a perfectly balanced piece of metal, and have a pretty big house. Now, with the help of some daring physicists, you can prove the Earth rotates on an axis with the PlayStation Move, a vinyl turntable, and some common household items. Not only that, but you can use the technique to determine your latitude and point to north, you know, in case you misplaced your compass and/or GPS-enabled phone.

The whole experiment might be beyond your expertise, but the video is certainly entertaining. The accompanying webpage also details the processes and how to replicate the experiment at home. I especially liked that the team of scientists at PABR.org started with the cheapest turntable they could find before upgrading to a more stable one.

The project ups the ante for PlayStation Move hacks versus Kinect. It's not tits on a dude, or giant Minecraft monuments, but the PlayStation Move is helping us plebians do real science. That's got to count for something, right?

Source: PABR.org

YAY!!! This should be front page news.... "PlayStation Move Hacked to Prove the Earth's Rotation!"

Honestly, is this really that important? You can play Minecraft with the Kinect, can you do THAT Sony?

Haha this is brilliant. Geologists are all gonna go buy this instead of the real shizz. Economy and all that right?

Very cool. Gotta love that raw science, and interesting fun fact in the video as to why motion controls aren't as sensitive as they could be. Also plebians is plebeians, only know because I had to look up what it meant. Sounded familiar but definitely not a common word.

VGC USpartan VS:
YAY!!! This should be front page news.... "PlayStation Move Hacked to Prove the Earth's Rotation!"

Honestly, is this really that important? You can play Minecraft with the Kinect, can you do THAT Sony?

I was playing Minecraft with the PS Move before Minecraft was popular. You just get all the unsold controlers and start building things with them.

This was cool, but still not as cool as hearing about the FBI buying up PS3s to make a supercomputer.

VGC USpartan VS:

After putting in some time with Killzone 3 using the move, I'm pretty damn sure you could play Minecraft with Move quite easily if some clever programmer wanted to make it happen.

Best use of PlayStation I've seen since GoW 3 came out.

This is just ridiculous! But I am totally digging the Move right now, but if were gonna hack it..come on now, we can do better than that.

This looks like something Macgyver would make. This is awesome.

They should totally put this in the school science curriculum. It's almost at the level of setting money aflame without burning it!

It also attracts people with loads of cash and wish to get rid of it quickly.
Okay I'm impressed, its just not its intended purpose, which is more impressive.

Very cool, but the video is intensely annoying: I couldn't read any of the text cos it disappeared too quickly!!!

The Earth's rotation is just a theory.
All this experiment proves is microrotation.

It's nice to see another broad minded individual with a true understanding of our world...

yes this aplies to you Retodon8 & VGC USpartan VS

(sarcasm doesn't carry well in writing)

Retodon8:

As is gravity.

Trillovinum:
It's nice to see another broad minded individual with a true understanding of our world...

yes this aplies to you Retodon8 & VGC USpartan VS

(sarcasm doesn't carry well in writing)

We are two different individuals.
And I agree about the sarcasm.

Interesting...

Yet, based on how this is claimed to work, you could do it with a Wii motionplus unit as well.

I guess that choice is good, right? But it does make you wonder if the Move is better hardware or not.

I just don't know anymore. XD

Retodon8:
All this experiment proves is microrotation.

Teach the controversy!

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here