Heavy Rain Cut Into Spoilerific 3 Hour Movie

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Heavy Rain Cut Into Spoilerific 3 Hour Movie

If you don't feel like playing Heavy Rain, but still want to get depressed, just watch this lengthy movie instead.

Quantic Dream's Heavy Rain is a great example of how to merge a cinematic experience with a videogame. If you never beat it due to those pesky interactive segments, or just don't own a PlayStation 3, a player has cut the game's segments into a nearly 3 hour movie.

Now, without even having to pick up a controller, you can experience the entire story of Heavy Rain. Watching the movie is not quite the same as playing the game, because Heavy Rain is unique in that it just keeps on going even if one of the characters dies. Whatever happens in Heavy Rain, happens.

As far as I can tell, the movie follows the "best" path possible, where all of Heavy Rain's characters live. Up until the end anyway, not to spoil the spoiler or anything.

The story is is definitely one of Heavy Rain's biggest allures, making the video actually worth watching. The only thing it doesn't express is the enjoyment of opening cabinets and orange juice containers in real time. For that, you'll just have to buy a PS3.

Source: YouTube, via Kotaku

Well this is nifty. Now I know what I'm watching when I get home from work.

So will this be similar to how the film plays out I wonder? This is similar to when someone posted all the options on Youtube and put it up as the whole game for free =)

This is like a "lets play" I guess. Man, I forgot how much fun I had playing this game.

Well, this may save me 60 bucks. :P

But... ehh, fuck it, I'll just buy the game.

Tom Goldman:
The only thing it doesn't express is the enjoyment of opening cabinets and orange juice containers in real time. For that, you'll just have to buy a PS3.

I like, although I think it's a rather expensive way to go about it and so I shall just have to go without this pleasure.

Tom Goldman:

If you don't feel like playing Heavy Rain, but still want to get depressed, just watch this lengthy movie instead.

Seeing as how Heavy Rain was about as interactive as a movie anyway I guess I might as well. Will save me the effort of having to press X every so often.

Maybe the company could have just ported the game to other consoles as people OBVIOUSLY want to play it? Hah! Everyone knows console exclusives sell more right? Just look at the list of best selling games, oh wait...

Watched half of it yesterday.

It was interesting enough, even though i feel that of all people in the game, Ethan Mars looks the worst graphically and has the most awkward animations. Yet he is the one the gamer spends the most time with, it seems.

Seri

LegendaryGamer0:

I would say buy it for the whole experience if you have the option. It really is a great tale, but even better when your choices can affect the outcomes.

Given

Tom Goldman:
The story is is definitely one of Heavy Rain's biggest allures, making the video actually worth watching. The only thing it doesn't express is the enjoyment of opening cabinets and orange juice containers in real time. For that, you'll just have to buy a PS3.

Actually, given that the film is three hours long, you'll probably be doing those things in real life.

Simply watching the "best" story doesn't do the game justice. In just a few replies, I've noticed people operating under the assumption that this is a linear story with quicktime events. They would be wrong. It plays rather different if the "main" protagonist konks out early, for example. And then there's soooo many choices in the interim. Of course, once you know the story, replaying the game is an effort, since the story IS the main appeal.

I told myself, after beating it, that I will treat it like a movie. I will shelf it for a time that it's ready to be played again, when enough of the story has faded in my mind. Though, I won't have to figure out who the murderer is. That, my only complaint, doesn't change.

BonsaiK:

Tom Goldman:

Seeing as how Heavy Rain was about as interactive as a movie anyway I guess I might as well. Will save me the effort of having to press X every so often.

it's considerably more interactive than that.

If you own a PS3, and don't have this game, get it. It is definitely a unique experience that everyone should have, and it's likely we won't get another game like this for a loooooong time D:

Cuddly Knife:
Seri

LegendaryGamer0:

I would say buy it for the whole experience if you have the option. It really is a great tale, but even better when your choices can affect the outcomes.

But... I NEED TO BUY YAKUZA 3!

And 4 is on the horizon!

AAAAGGGHHHH, CHOICES!

Haha, this is pretty fantastic. It drives me nuts how the voices are out of sync though.

This is good for people who don't want to play the game. But I question why someone wouldn't want to play the game. Its brilliant.

Cool. But i´m going to get the game eventually. Dont want the plot spoiled for me. I´ll pass.

Is it still riddled with plot holes, or did he cut the stupid shit out?

Well, watched it...and I enjoyed it. This was gonna be a game I was going to have to skip (Don't own a ps3). If I end up with a PS3 though, i'll probs get the game.

Le Tueur:
Maybe the company could have just ported the game to other consoles as people OBVIOUSLY want to play it? Hah! Everyone knows console exclusives sell more right? Just look at the list of best selling games, oh wait...

Yeah, but Sony published it so it's not going to happen. Just like people who only own a PS3 can't play Mass Effect 1, because Microsoft published it.

Super Toast:

The plot holes are what's stopping me from playing again, since I quite liked it, and it'll just bug me.

The ol' revelation means looking back in any amount of detail makes less and less sense...

Crap. Well, i wish i'd known about this before my parents spent £200 on a ps3... (In all seriousness, i didn't get it just for Heavy rain.)

Too bad its badly desynched after a few minutes

considering that Heavy Rain wanted so badly to be a movie this seems rather appropriate. Too bad even as a movie it's not very good

Firia:

BonsaiK:

Tom Goldman:

it's considerably more interactive than that.

Let's don't forget going to the bathroom.

WaaghPowa:
If you own a PS3, and don't have this game, get it. It is definitely a unique experience that everyone should have, and it's likely we won't get another game like this for a loooooong time D:

I would add,if you have a pc or ps2,grab farhenheit(ps2/europe)the indigo prophecy for U.S.
You wont be disappointed,,,cage is a legend,if a FPS ever met heavy rain & had a baby,that baby would be GOD

Queue people going "Might as well watch the movie 'cause the game is already a film, DUR HUR HUR."

Honestly, just watching the scenes in a linear fashion does not do the game justice. Part of the fun in experiencing the game is to see what will happen from your different choices. While it's not the most exciting game out there, it's definitely a unique experience that I encourage people to at least try out. It's not a big quick time event, seriously, that sentiment is getting old.

Tom Goldman:
As far as I can tell, the movie follows the "best" path possible, where all of Heavy Rain's characters live. Up until the end anyway, not to spoil the spoiler or anything.

Well actually

OT: I only skimmed through it, but I think I will send this to my lazy friends (and ones lacking a PS3) so they can watch it, if only a bit of it.

Outright Villainy:

Super Toast:

The plot holes are what's stopping me from playing again, since I quite liked it, and it'll just bug me.

The ol' revelation means looking back in any amount of detail makes less and less sense...

It's a shame, because it did almost everything else so well. I hope it opened the floodgates for more of its kind, at least.

I just finished the game today (Four Heroes & Simple Mind ending), and now I'm going back and seeing about opening the other possible endings. All in all, a masterpiece of an experience... I just wish I could have played it in longer stints due to my normal audience not wanting to deal with the emotions brought on by the main storyline. As soon as she would get home it was "Oh, that game again." in a voice practically dripping with unabashed hatred. It started in the very first chapter (well, technically the second)... As soon as the mall scene opened up, she turned to me and said, "All I know is that nothing had better happen to his son, or you're not playing this anymore." I just picked up the BD remote and ejected the disk right then.

Well it's not exactly the best ending the guy went through.

LegendaryGamer0:

Don't waste 60 bucks one a game your going to play one time.The killer is the same no matter the choices you make.

IamGamer41:

LegendaryGamer0:

Don't waste 60 bucks one a game your going to play one time.The killer is the same no matter the choices you make.

I play games over and over again constantly.

Plus, I spent $150 on Modern Waste Of My Money 2, so trust me, $60 doesn't count as a waste for a game I'll like.

Hell, I spent full price for Superman Returns, trust me, I like any and all games and will play them forever. :P

Nothing like replaying a game I originally played on a 11 inch mofo, now playing it on 37inch VIZIO. :P

I always watch walkthroughs or cutscenes of games that I know I wont play.
I did that for both the Dead Spaces, the God of War trilogy...etc etc

I know what to watch whenever I'm bored now.

Pretty useful and I tip my hat in respect for the maker.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here