NEStalgia Takes 8-Bit RPGs Online

NEStalgia Takes 8-Bit RPGs Online

Silk Games' NEStalgia can be compared to World of Warcraft meets Dragon Warrior.

A new free-to-play online RPG recently launched that takes the MMOs of today and swaps out their 3D graphics for the 8-bit sprites of the NES. NEStalgia looks just like Dragon Warrior or Final Fantasy, but can be played online with other people and has a feature set like that of modern games.

Players start by choosing a class. These include the ranger, soldier, cleric, and wizard. You can customize the look of your 8-bit character, choosing sex, hair color, head type, body type, and the colors of your clothing. Subscribing for $9 a year, or $20 for life, gives extra features like fast travel, more customization options through masks and dyes, and extra classes like the ninja and warlock.

The player begins as a newbie that teleports into the world. Mysteriously, you become the target of assassins right away. Go figure. NEStalgia's battles are turn-based, with players attacking and casting spells against 8-bit enemies.

The game has plenty of quests that send players to kill "X" amount of foes, but additionally some involve capturing crabs or fetching items. There are tons of rare items to collect, including varied types of weapons and armor. Players will also have to solve puzzles and can play mini-games.

Not only is teaming up with others possible, but players can create their own guilds just like in MMOs such as World of Warcraft. If you want to play by yourself, that's okay too.

NEStalgia is definitely a great online title for the nostalgic gamer. With a ton of content and a charming 8-bit world, you just can't go wrong.

Source: NEStalgia, via Indie Games

I have no nostalgia for 8-bit RPGs, as I started RPGs with the PS1.

But even I want to play this. And I think that I will. :)

Is this free to play, but the bonuses cost money? Or pay to play? If it's free I would try it.
Also, can we have captchas that actually seem like human speech so I know if I'm spelling it correctly?

This looks...... Really cool.
I may just give it a try.
And oh yes I am a Wizard.

Seems quite interesting indeed. Although I grew up with 16-bit RPGs, it looks like it could be fun. Free to play and yearly and for life subscriptions looks good in my book. I'll check it out when I get bored of Bulletstorm.

I just hope the game is simple enough to actually play it with a controller (using Xpadder), you know, for nostalgia factor.

Shit...

well...

Guess I have to play this.

lol pretty silly but clever none the less

Surprised this hasn't been done before...

This game is going to be so easy to hack i bet it can be done with a cheat engine

that sounds awesome :) i'll have to check that out...

hansari:

Google Byond sometime.

Huh. Surprisingly enough, it is a Byond game...

hansari:

Yes it has, Never played games on byond before?

Wow, this looks pretty interesting. Can't beat the subscription price, either. Wow. Definitely worth a look.

Hmm..I may need to give this a try. I just hope it isn't point and click. I think that would just kind of kill the whole idea.

Furioso:
Is this free to play, but the bonuses cost money? Or pay to play? If it's free I would try it.
Also, can we have captchas that actually seem like human speech so I know if I'm spelling it correctly?

Free to play, but if you want some extra goodies you can pay some cash

This would've been a LOT more awesome if it was 16 bit. Mmmm, that might be something to try to create a project for. World of SNESCraft, or SNESTic, the 16 Bit MMO.

Though, I will very likely check this out.

Johnnyallstar:

Furioso:

Free to play, but if you want some extra goodies you can pay some cash

Ninja'd, damn. :)

Pretty sure I sort-of predicted this a week or two ago ... but I don't know if there's any public record of it. May have been in an MSN conversation.

Kinda cool to see it happen For Reals though. I eagerly await the fruition of the further development of my idea: text-console-compatible Nethack style MMORPGs.
(Which I suppose are, like mumorpuggers themselves, just a development of the old MUD/MUCK/MOOs)

"500Mhz procesor, 512MB of RAM"

Ahhh the good old days; You know i think those are the system requirements to just swich a computer on these days. You would have to search pretty dammed hard to find a PC with specs that low that was actually seriously being used (and is't a legacy system like my Amigia/ Acorn/ Sinclair are)

Oh wow. I frequent this site, but I never noticed the NEStalgia article. Well, awesome! You can find me dying in the trailer. ;)

...A BYOND game with a trailer? My, people are starting to feel important, aren't they?

I haven't been on BYOND in years...there are craploads of games like NEStalgia on BYOND, though.

ionveau:
This game is going to be so easy to hack i bet it can be done with a cheat engine

The only way to 'hack' BYOND is to have a save file editor, the save files, and the host files. Basically, it isn't going to happen unless you're the host...and generally cheating gets you banned horribly if you do it in games like NEStalgia. If you do it in single player games, noone really cares too much.

Kopikatsu:
...A BYOND game with a trailer? My, people are starting to feel important, aren't they?

I haven't been on BYOND in years...there are craploads of games like NEStalgia on BYOND, though.

ionveau:

The only way to 'hack' BYOND is to have a save file editor, the save files, and the host files. Basically, it isn't going to happen unless you're the host...and generally cheating gets you banned horribly if you do it in games like NEStalgia. If you do it in single player games, noone really cares too much.

Alot of online games can be cheated using memory editing, I know for a fact that starcraft 2 has a cheat that can be installed, it reads the games memory and renders a picture of the map on a window outside of game no anti cheat program can detect it seeing as your only reading memory not editing.

If not that Packet editing(witch is illegal in the U.S)

If not that editing the games textures example, make opponents in FPS games bright green

I understand that cheating can lead to a ban but on MMOs the reward out weights the risk, i for one will never play an MMO i cant cheat.

Oh ya editing save files is a primitive hack that worked on diablo in its early days

Sooooooo, basically Dragon Warrior where you need to rely on others to get anything done.

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.