Action Figures Reimagine Star Wars as a Western

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Action Figures Reimagine Star Wars as a Western

In the wild west, Star Wars characters become blacksmiths, bartenders, and corrupt sheriffs.

One of the most popular projects for artists these days is to reimagine Star Wars in a different setting. Thankfully, it doesn't really get old. From Sillof, the creator of the Steampunk Star Wars action figures, comes a look at the property as if it were a western.

C-3PO becomes Clarence Peppero, a talkative bartender that's quick to dive behind the bar when trouble gets near. R2-D2 becomes Ransen "Rusty" D. Dalton, the cantankerous town blacksmith.

Luke is basically the same guy, but he carries a six-shooter and wears a cowboy hat. The sword-wielding "Old" Bennet Kennelly was driven into hiding when his deputy turned on him. That deputy was probably Akan "Death" Vardas, a corrupt sheriff that works for evil railroad tycoons.

Han Solo is Hank "Solo" Solomon, a quick draw bandit that spends his days with Chewing Bear, a Native American that wears bear pelts. And it just wouldn't be the wild west without a bounty hunter, whose place is taken by Bob A. Ford.

Sillof created the line based on the idea that the original Star Wars trilogy takes a lot of inspiration from the wild west. These figures bring the characters back to their western roots. His entire website is definitely worth checking out, if you haven't already absorbed its goodness, and he told us that his upcoming figure lines are some of the best he's ever done. I can't wait.

Source: Sillof, via io9

I'm not really sure about the rest of them, but I really like Boba Fett's design.

This is pretty effing badass right here.

Vader look pretty awesome.

Neat.
Still, I like the steampunk Star Wars designs better.

I like the stormtrooper, but kenobi seems more like dooku, what with the curved sword.

Not my favourite Sillff designs, but still very cool.

these are cooler than the steampunk ones

Yeah, I was going to say: wasn't Star Wars essentially a western in space in the first place? But these figures are damn cool. I've never bought many figures as an adult, but these may be purchase-worthy......

Yeah, I was going to say: wasn't Star Wars essentially a western in space in the first place? But these figures are damn cool. I've never bought many figures as an adult, but these may be purchase-worthy......

Hank Solomon, he shoots so fast you'll swear he shoots last.

monstersquad:

I always saw it as more of a fantasy story in space.

I like the new Ewok design.

It took me a moment to figure out who the blond guy was. Man Obi-Won looks Bad-ass!

hittite:
I'm not really sure about the rest of them, but I really like Boba Fett's design.

It's actually better than the original: In the Old West they didn't have faulty jet-packs! =D

Soviet Heavy:
I like the stormtrooper, but kenobi seems more like dooku, what with the curved sword.

Thats exactly what I was thinking (about Obi-Wan) - he was the only one I couldn't easily identify. Plus he's wearing black, which immediately put me in mind of a Sith rather than a Jedi. Otherwise, I like the concept. Those designs are pretty cool.

Pretty awesome, but who was the person in picture 8?

When is the endless star wars re-imagining going to end? I mean, the movies weren't that great.
The action figures are well made, but I just don't see why it has to be star wars EVERY ******* TIME.

Tales of Golden Sun:
When is the endless star wars re-imagining going to end? I mean, the movies weren't that great.
The action figures are well made, but I just don't see why it has to be star wars EVERY ******* TIME.

don't antagonize fanboys. they can be very.... twitchy.

Tales of Golden Sun:

Totally agree with you

A barbarian? Chewy is more like a canadian lumberjack.

This version of Chewbacca is AWESOOOOOOME! Seriously badass!

Pretty funky stuff. :D

In my opinion, these are a lot better than the steampunk Star Wars I've been seeing. I especially like the Chewbaaca.

I admire the creativity that goes into this kind of thing, as well as skill involved to actually pull it off. It would be interesting to see alternate takes of other IP's, though I suppose there isn't a lot out there as varied and immediately recognizable as Star Wars.

Death Vardas looks less like a cowboy Death Vader and more like a cowboy Cobra Commander.

Han Solo is the same in any setting you stick him in. He'd be wearing a black vest in Ancient Rome. This is fact.

I like this even more than the steampunk remake. :D Solo fits in there perfectly, as does Luke, and Boba Fett looks so incredibly badass.

Popido:
A barbarian? Chewy is more like a canadian lumberjack.

erm... I'm pretty sure he's an Indian, a know, tomahawk and all.

OT: If I could buy these.... I without a doubt would.

EDIT: you know, for less than the 40$ per ebay price...

Boba Fett looks badass even in the Wild West.

natster43:
Pretty awesome, but who was the person in picture 8?

It is C3PO.

What's next? Star trek version of these characters?

yes plz

Damn, somebody is just cranking out the Star Wars these days...

The tribe of Ewoks would be BAD. ASS.

let me guess next is star wars noir XD i really this star wars re imagining though

Silloff is the goods. Seriously, this is like the tenth time I've seen something from that site that just rocked. The characters have Western flavour but almost all of them are immediately identifiable as their respective SW identities. Took me a second with C-3PO, but still.

wootsman:
let me guess next is star wars noir XD i really this star wars re imagining though

Noir Wars would rock. I just wanted to say that.

This needs to be a movie one day. A western re-imaging of Star Wars, itself heavily based on westerns, would make an excellent film if done earnestly and with heart. And this is coming from someone who generally hates westerns.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here