Mortal Kombat Banned in Australia

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

RatRace123:
Just paint the blood grey and call it "sweat"... oh wait that's stupid.

You sell yourself short Sir.

Andy Chalk:
Mortal Kombat Banned in Australia

Brace yourselves for a shock: Mortal Kombat has been refused classification in Australia.

That the spinning top of randomness that is the Australian videogame classification system has claimed the latest iteration of one of the oldest and most famous fighting games in videogame history is only surprising because of the fact that every other title in the Mortal Kombat franchise has been given the green light. But the 2011 reboot apparently crosses some line, somewhere, and thus finds itself out of the club.

"The highly anticipated video game Mortal Kombat, published by Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment (WBIE) in Australia, has been refused classification by the Australian Classification Board and will not release in Australia," WBIE said in a statement. "We are extremely disappointed that Mortal Kombat, one of the world's oldest and most successful video games franchises, will not be available to mature Australian gamers."

"WBIE would not market mature content where it is not appropriate for the audience," it continued. "We understand that not all content is for every audience, but there is an audience for mature gaming content and it would make more sense to have the R18+ classification in Australia. As a member of the iGEA, WBIE is reviewing all options available at this time."

"Reviewing all options" usually translates into "cutting it to ribbons" but WBIE's statement seems to rule out that possibility. Perhaps it's waiting for the SCAG meeting which will follow the SCAG meeting at which the issue of allowing mature-rated games in Australia won't be discussed? Anything is possible, I suppose - except buying Mortal Kombat from an Australian store.

Mortal Kombat comes out on April 19 for the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.

Source: IGN Australia

sunburst313:
This is actually rather surprising news. I thought they had given refusing games these days. Bulletstorm was classified as 15+ for fuck's sake! It's hard to imagine the new Mortal Kombat somehow being more offensive than that. Gotta love the random enforcement.

Bulletstorm was heavily censored tho they removed stuff

Captcha: McDermott, scsit

Laclem:
Too all the Aussies and visitors of Aust, please go visit your local GAME Store and sign the partition for a mature 18+ rating for video games.
Why we don't have one already fucking baffles me,
and the baffling needs to stop.
for more info visit
http://everyoneplays.org.au/

Sorry, but I can't help but nitpick. They should be signing the petition, not the partition. I don't think signing partitions is going to help anyone.

OT: I used to think the people responsible for the bans were simply misguided. But if Bulletstorm gets a pass, and MK doesn't then they are clearly just pants-on-head retarded (as Yahtzee would say).

EDIT: I was apparently ninja'd on the Bulletstorm thing by the previous post. So how exactly does a censored BS work? The primary game mechanic was a point system that rewarded you for creative body part removal and decorating in all the available colours of blood. I just can't see there being much left of the game without that.

You know, Australia was settled by purse snatchers and throat cutters who participated in orgies on their way down to colonize the place. I find it funny that this same country is so worried about violence in games.

Fappy:
This is why I love the first amendment. Sorry Australia :(

I feel bad for them too, I thought they were over it. However at the same time, our First Amendment is under fire as well thanks to the Governator.

Woodsey:
It's less the number (although it's more than 1-2) and more the randomness of it.

No, it's around 1-2 per year. Has been since media classification was Federalised (it was a real ratfuck when it was State based)... however, yes, the seemingly arbitrary way in which many games are rated shows the biggest problem with the current system.

What's even more fucked up is when publishers pre-emptively edit their games and later turns out it was unnecessary (GTA 4 is a prime example - console versions were submitted already butchered, later PC version was submitted unedited and got exactly the same rating... as did the completely unedited stand alone expansion).

And, like I said, the fact that things that should probably be given 18s are being passed for 15s with no cuts, simply because there is no higher rating.

Half the MA15+ games I own are rated 17 or 18 in other countries. That's why I've always considered Atkinson and his 'think of the children' ilk to be hypocrits of the highest order - if they stopped pontificating for half a fucking minute and pulled their heads out of their arses they'd probably see that the current system allows more age inappropriate material into the hands of teenagers than a system with a R18+ rating would. It's taking this tact that finally got the whole issue on the table (okay, well near the table most of the time. On the side table, if you will) - not a bunch of self-entitled overgrown children endlessly talking bollocks about their 'rights' but discussing with non-gamers the problems with the current classification system, how it's broken, why it's broken and why the MA15+ classification cannot be trusted as an indicator of age appropriate material.

RatRace123:
Just paint the blood grey and call it "sweat"... oh wait that's stupid.

LOL!!

Veldie:

So EA and the ACB lied when they said the Aussie version would be uncut?

It was Germany that heavily butchered the game - gore, ragdolling and dismemberment all taken out and it still got slapped with an 18.

Hey, Yahtzee, how much better than ustralia than America again?

That really sucks...however it's hard for me to feel sorry for Australia when I still have icicles on my balls up here in north east America.

time for australians to WEEEEEIIGGGHHH ANNNCHHHOOORRRR YAAARRRRR!!!. or import it. but they shouldnt have to do either really :(

RhombusHatesYou:

Veldie:

It was Germany that heavily butchered the game - gore, ragdolling and dismemberment all taken out and it still got slapped with an 18.

Then I stand corrected I guess for getting stuff mixxed up

Veldie:

RhombusHatesYou:

Veldie:

The release info is that it's a modified version but all involved have said the modifications had nothing to do with cutting content.

Sneaklemming:
Yes because we all know that censorship works so well when it comes to digital media and the internet.

I almost just pissed myself laughing at that... and I dribbled slightly

Can i still order it from the US? :O

If you're tired of this banned-in-Australia crap, clap your hands~!

*Clap* *Clap*

...Or, take a shot of whiskey.

Veldie:

Well, Bulletstorm is listed as "MODIFIED" in the ratings but they do that every time they look at a game more than once no matter the reason. They looked at Bulletstorm again to approve the extra content provided in the Epic Edition. No changes at all; that's what's so shocking here.

what a surprise -.-;

Did I wake up in 1995?

~_O Australia always does this. But NZ is a 4 hour flight away and we usually let most of what they ban in so its not all bad. They can just import it from here and it will work on their systems because we share the same region code.

:P Silly Australian government. You didnt think of that did you.

Therumancer:

Fappy:
This is why I love the first amendment. Sorry Australia :(

I feel bad for them too, I thought they were over it. However at the same time, our First Amendment is under fire as well thanks to the Governator.

As far as I understand the government has never won a case like this (although I guess they pseudo won in the 50's with the comic book child delinquency hearings), so I am not really all that concerned about it.

If it were released here in Australia it would be sold at $109, so we import it and save like $40. Its not that critical. Odds are most would have imported anyway just to get it cheaper.

Zenode:
I speak for all Australian gamers when i say

FFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-

EDIT: This is for all the people who are going to start saying shit about Australians banning everything with violence/being a nanny state etc

Since 1994 Less than two dozen games have been banned you know what, that means that less than 2 games a year on average are refused classification. Its not a nanny state which bans everything nor do many games have to be re-edited.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_banned_video_games#Australia

That's still more than any other nation, and any censorship is too much censorship. In Canada a few games have been met with controversy, but the government have never taken action to ban the sale of any game, movie, or anything else of that nature. That's just not true in your home and native land is it?

can't-think:
All it will do is encourage piracy and take money away from Australian game retailers.

I wouldn't say piracy as much, but yes you will find many an Australian will import it and the retailers suffer. I will of course wait for reviews before I consider importing it.

terror_ninja:
~_O Australia always does this. But NZ is a 4 hour flight away and we usually let most of what they ban in so its not all bad. They can just import it from here and it will work on their systems because we share the same region code.

:P Silly Australian government. You didn't think of that did you.

They thought of it, I imported a copy of L4D2 from NZ, however a lot of Aussies were doing it too, so eventually they started seizing copies that were coming through, I got mine before they started to take them in thankfully.

Also here is an article to dispel all the bullshit regarding Bulletstorm being censored; don't spread rumors that aren't true people:
http://www.kotaku.com.au/2011/01/bulletstorm-has-not-been-modified-for-australia/

Aw, and no credit for submitting the tip. :(

Anyway, I was surprised by this one actually. Especially since, as it was mentioned, every other part in the series has been allowed through.

Buh. The dumb makes my brain hurt.

Zenode:
I speak for all Australian gamers when i say

FFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-

EDIT: This is for all the people who are going to start saying shit about Australians banning everything with violence/being a nanny state etc

Since 1994 Less than two dozen games have been banned you know what, that means that less than 2 games a year on average are refused classification. Its not a nanny state which bans everything nor do many games have to be re-edited.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_banned_video_games#Australia

Your right it isn't a nanny state at all, because Australians arn't children. They are grownups, grownups who simply allow the government to censor their media.

Now you can spin that in a few ways, cowards possibly, but children no way. See children are ignorant.

Seriously, what the fuck, Australia? Why can't you just do what every other country in the world does and have an 18 rating?

BlackWidower:
That's still more than any other nation

You must have missed the time the Greek government banned all electronic gaming, then.

Lexodus:
Seriously, what the fuck, Australia? Why can't you just do what every other country in the world does and have an 18 rating?

Or 17 (I can buy Mature games without parental consent-YES!)

roguetrooper96:

Sneaklemming:
Yes because we all know that censorship works so well when it comes to digital media and the internet.

I almost just pissed myself laughing at that... and I dribbled slightly

Im surprised you found it funny, I was just being jaded and cynical.

Fox242:
You know, Australia was settled by purse snatchers and throat cutters who participated in orgies on their way down to colonize the place. I find it funny that this same country is so worried about violence in games.

Not as funny as an American college student who does not appear know that the US was also originally a penal colony of the UK.

Nor know that 'throat cutters' were not transported, only very petty criminals were, as theft of more than 5 schillings, cutting down a tree or killing a deer (and 100's of other minor crimes) were all hanging offences.

What do I expect from a country where educational standards are now lower than Estonia or Poland and much lower than Australia (according to the OECD Programme for International Student Assessment).

BTW When transportation ended the US had over 4 million slaves and Australia had 0.

At last somebody seems to be thinking about our precious children! these fragile flowers of unlimited promise can grow up away from these twisted murder simulators and go on to make love and peace throughout the world!

(sooo much sarcasm)

yeah...this sucks but we've reached the point there people are no longer surprised or angry since the government's made a habit of blatantly ignoring its people.

Unfortunately getting the powers that be here in Australia to MAKE A GOD DAMN DECISION is beyond farcical. The R18+ rating for games has been vetoed, passed due to absence (all Attorney Generals must meet and agree at their 3 monthly meeting) and put on hold for further review, and more review and even more review.

The government is currently reviewing the full classification system of Australia so we are stuck until this is finished. Hopefully an adults rating for games will be firmly entrenched in any recommendations and we can get all the games the rest of the world get.

Of course, most gamers will still import or buy of Steam since local game pricing is almost as big a joke as the classification system.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here