John Romero Goes Casual - UPDATED

Pages 1 2 NEXT

John Romero Goes Casual - UPDATED

Doom co-creator John Romero says his years of making games for the hardcore crowd are over, and that what he wants to do is "teach the rest of the world how to play games."

There aren't too many names in the videogame industry more synonymous with hardcore gaming than John Romero. This is the man who co-created Doom and Quake, revolutionizing online gaming in the process, and then made his legend even greater, although perhaps not quite in the way he would have liked, with the Ion Storm/Daikatana debacle - which, indirectly, gave us the mind-blowing Deus Ex. But in recent years he's immersed himself in the casual market and that's where he plans to stay.

"We have satisfied hardcore gamers for decades. Now it's time for the rest of the world," Romero recently told VentureBeat. "Our opportunity is to teach the rest of the world how to play games."

Romero's latest company is called Loot Drop, an operation that also includes fellow id alumnus and frequent Romero collaborator Tom Hall, veteran game designer Brenda Brathwaite and Sir-Tech co-founder Robert Sirotek. "I've had a chance to work with John several times and I jumped at the chance to do it again," Hall said. "John's genius is seeing the next thing."

And while a lot of social games take a bad rap for shallow gameplay and a focus on emptying wallets, Romero's famous "design is law" credo is apparently still alive and well at Loot Drop. "We don't have a view of strip mining the players for cash," Romero said. "When a player gives you money, you want them to feel good about giving you that money."

Romero's most recent game was Ravenwood Fair, developed for LOLApps and released last October. It was a big hit, drawing 11 million monthly average users and firing up his interest in the market; he said he wants to put out four new Loot Drop games for 2011.

UPDATE: Romero may be in the casual zone now but he made it clear on Twitter that he's not closing the door on guns and guts. In reference to a Eurogamer headline that said he was "done" with hardcore games, he wrote, "I am not done making hardcore games, Eurogamer."

So there you go. Can Daikatana 2 be far behind?

that's cool, the man is redeeming himself after Daikatana, that's good with me

hope he succeeds =P

This John Romer character looks a lot like John Romero

On topic at least he has found peace now after that whole making you his bitch daikatana debacle

This summer-

John Romer.

Gordan Froman.

In, Typos.

Spelling will never the the smae.

mireko:
This summer-

John Romer.

Gordan Froman.

In, Typos.

I thought Romer was a nickname.

SomethingAmazing:

mireko:
This summer-

John Romer.

Gordan Froman.

In, Typos.

It is?!

My screenplay is ruined! Ruined!

SomethingAmazing:

mireko:
This summer-

John Romer.

Gordan Froman.

In, Typos.

A nickname? Whose nickname is their full regular name with one letter missed off? that would be a rubbish nickname.

Pipotchi:

A nickname? Whose nickname is their full regular name with one letter missed off? that would be a rubbish nickname.

Never been to a public school? That's about par for the course.

No! Why would he do this? I was eagerly awaiting Daikatana 2. Nutbiscuits.

Did he grow his hair back? I'm pretty sure it's the source of his power. Or is that an old picture?

manythings:

Pipotchi:

Never been to a public school? That's about par for the course.

Everybody just called me by my surname.

In retrospect, it was kind of weird.

I still can't believe he made Ravenwood Fair. That game has poorly spelled adverts all over Facebook, and it's made by the guy behind Doom.

This is a strange industry.

John Romero's about to make Facebook his bitch

I don't know who this John Romer asshole is, but I seriously doubt he's got the stones to make anybody his bitch.

John Romero, on the other hand, he's pretty cool.

ID has 2 important people named John.
One is John Carmack, esteemed developer, coder, rocket scientist and inventor of texture streaming(which, is something all 3d games use these days) and a whole bunch of other stuff.

The other is John Romero, who's main responsibility is bitching about good games people made without his help and claiming he could make it better, which every single project where he had any input in at all since the original Doom shows he's only capable of when backed by his infinitely more competent namesake.

megs1120:

Damn you. I was feeling pretty happy with myself, getting a smug smile as I clicked to comment and post something witty. But you just had to beat me to it.
OT: My first thought when I read this was a bizarre game that mixed my image of the casual gaming experience with his past games. It was called Angry Doom.

IMO:God i hope he doesn't waste anytime making another Daikatana, the first was terrible :(

megs1120:

I'd like this comment if there was a like button. Well played.

I'll be honest

I'd love to see a Daikatana 2

I mean, it's not like the first one was any good or something like that, but it felt like it could go just dandy with a sequel

you know, kind of like Two Worlds and Two Worlds 2

but that's just me, and as far as I know, ONLY me

It's been HOW long since he's been relevant?

I'd love to see a "Diakatana 2" which was a spoof of game developement mishaps and annoyances.

EVERYBODY RUN HE'S GOING TO MAKE US HIS BITCH AGAIN

Nobody? No? Not even a little?
Okay.

Andy Chalk:

The man makes one utterly horrible game in his career, and we can't seem to forgive him, can we?
I know that this is just a joke, but think about all the good games that he has been connected to.

OT: I see no problem with this. Bejeaweled Doom Edition anyone?

Hey, He's got Robert Sirotek with him! Good to know. No Jagged Alliance fans here?

I wonder if an alternate universe exists where Romero still works at id Software...

...I wonder what those games are like.

Well, good for him. That's all I can really muster up the enthusiasm to say on the matter.

In other news, when was it Rage was due out again?

Asehujiko:
ID has 2 important people named John.
One is John Carmack, esteemed developer, coder, rocket scientist and inventor of

Had, rather than has. It's been, what, 14 years since he left claiming he could make the best games ever without living in Carmack's shadow. Shame everything he personally touched since then has shown otherwise.

It was bad that he dragged down the teams behind Deus ex and Anacronox that worked for his company. Still worse is that supporting his worthless hide dragged Eidos close to financial ruin costing gamers the stellar looking glass studios. (Obviously Ion storm was far from the only reason but the company was a huge financial burden and it's fun to point fingers).

I suppose that he thinks declaring himself a casual developer means he can pull something out of the bag now that expectations are REALLY low.

MarsProbe:
Well, good for him. That's all I can really muster up the enthusiasm to say on the matter.

In other news, when was it Rage was due out again?

Please let it be tomorrow, otherwise it's just not soon enough. You know; that Carmack guy makes pretty exciting game technology.

Andy Chalk:

OH HEAVENS, NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Actually I am sort of hoping we see a Daikatana/Battletoads crossover game. No idea how it will work, but due to similar famous internet phranks the match seems made in heaven... :)

John Romero's going to make casual gamers his bitch.

Andy Chalk:
I don't know who this John Romer asshole is, but I seriously doubt he's got the stones to make anybody his bitch.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Romer_%28Egyptologist%29

John Lewis Romer (b. 30 September 1941, Surrey, UK) is a British Egyptologist, historian and archaeologist, who has created and appeared in many TV archaeology series, including Romer's Egypt, Ancient Lives, Testament, The Seven Wonders of the World, Byzantium: The Lost Empire and Great Excavations: The Story of Archaeology.

Romer is probably - along with Michael Wood - the best known television presenter of ancient history. His trademark style combines gentle humour, expertise and respect for ancient peoples.

But!!! Romero brought us quake so....

Diakatana 2.
Great! Now all we need is a sequel console to the Phillips CDi and we'll be all set!

Pipotchi:

What are you talking about, Pipotch?

Ghengis John:
Hey, He's got Robert Sirotek with him! Good to know. No Jagged Alliance fans here?

DIEHARD JA fan here! Loved the first 2, nearly cried when I couldn't get it to work on my "new" computer, about 5 years ago =( Was so hoping for a sequel to that...fallout tactics quenched my thirst for a little while, and then Fallout because a FPS/RPG whatever hybrid.

OT: Quake still remains one of the best games ever made in my books, it taught me how to have quick reflexes in games and how to aim without a crosshair. Kept getting back into it for whatever reason, to show kids how hardcore FPS's used to be, or to see QDQ (Quake Done Quick), or to just have a good ol' time. Hoping the games he works on reflects the best elements of those games, yea Dai was a ripoff but I'm willing to put that behind me.

Does this mean that he's going to do a documentary about DAIKATANA?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here