Book of Eli Studio in Talks to Buy Blade Runner Rights

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Book of Eli Studio in Talks to Buy Blade Runner Rights

One of the most influential sci-fi movies around could soon become a franchise.

Alcon Entertainment, the studio behind movies like Book of Eli and the reboot of The Wicker Man, are apparently in final negotiations for the rights for the seminal sci-fi movie Blade Runner. If Alcon is successful in acquiring the rights, it will be able to make sequels, prequels, and spin-offs. It will not be able to remake the original movie, however.

Blade Runner was based on the Phillip K. Dick novel, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?, and starred Harrison Ford as Rick Deckard, a special police operative called a "blade runner," who comes out of retirement to hunt down a quintet of escaped "replicants," which are biological androids almost indistinguishable from people. The movie was not a great success at the box office, but it has since gone on to be one of the most highly regarded and influential sci-fi movies of the last thirty years.

The rights for the movie currently belong to Bud Yorkin, who was an executive producer on the film. Yorkin will serve as a producer on any new Blade Runner projects, along with the two co-founders of Alcon, Andrew Kosove and Broderick Johnson, and Yorkin's wife, Cynthia. Frank Giustra and Tim Gamble, the joint CEOs of Thunderbird Films, will serve as executive producers.

In a statement, Johnson and Kosove, said that they had long-term goals for the franchise and knew that they had a responsibility to do justice to the original movie. They also said that they weren't planning to limit themselves just to film, and were looking at multiplatform concepts.

There's a lot of potential in the Blade Runner universe for some really interesting storytelling, but anything that Alcon produces is going to have to be pretty special. It's not unheard of for spinoffs to equal their source material - Stargate: SG1 is a prime example - but the original movie set the bar very high, and Alcon will have a real challenge on its hands trying to match it.

Source: Heat Vision Blog

I'll be honest, Blade Runner never did much for me. In college a friend said that's because I hadn't seen the director's cut but watching that didn't change my opinion.

However I still recognize Blade Runner as an extremely important movie and I really don't think it should be turned in to a franchise. If they want to draw inspiration from the movie or the original Philip K. Dick novel that sounds great . . . but don't drag the originals down with you.

Oh wonderful. One of the sci-fi classics gets handed over to the people who butchered the Wicker Man and managed to make denzel washington fighting Gary Oldman in a post appocalyptic wasteland boring. This will go well....

oh god no, please keep those hacks hands well away from it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWaLxFIVX1s

Was my first response.

I love Blade Runner, love it infinitely. Now it could be in the hands of imbeciles who don't even know what they have?

Im sorry but all i smell is name-mining here. Blade-runner is a very important (if very flawed) film and in the time between has spawned some very interesting works both in concept and design. The original (and very ahead of their time) ideas of PKD's novel have grown of their own accord in this time; most overtly in Anime and Manga.

As we get further removed from the source material i feel the original ideas get diluted, especially when trying to franchise something. I suspect we will see more of the 'cool' aspects of what balderunner has come to represent rather than the complex philosophical science fiction ideas that underpin Dick's book. These have since been expressed elsewhere better than this will most likely even attempt.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO*insert picture of Darth Vader at end of episode 3 here*OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Seriously, what else can you say?

Korenith:
Oh wonderful. One of the sci-fi classics gets handed over to the people who butchered the Wicker Man and managed to make denzel washington fighting Gary Oldman in a post appocalyptic wasteland boring. This will go well....

^This

Though, we can at least take comfort in the fact that they can't do a remake. A small victory.

This day was inevitable..

HEYAL NAW!?

Oh shit.

Please leave it alone. The film doesn't need a sequel or remake.

I immensely enjoyed Book of Eli. But it doesn't matter who you turn it over to, there should NEVER be a BLADERUNNER SEQUEL. The next Hollywood reboot rears it's ugly head. God, just take a chance on something new please! Don't ruin an otherwise fine movie (if not a bit overhyped).

Why does this always have to happen? They take something people like, butcher it, and then try to loot the corpse, hoping to make some money with those people's nostalgia.

I'm not saying that this is what has to happen, but it seems to be most likely that way.

I've seen a few Darth Vader "Nooooo!" responses to this, but that's not how I reacted. I reacted a little more like this:

no.

Quietly, simply, and with the clearest mind and delivery. Just turn around, think about you're doing, and go about your day. This isn't an issue of "how could you!? You monster!" in my mind, but instead "stop it. You're not allowed."

Hungry Donner:

Scrumpmonkey:
Im sorry but all i smell is name-mining here.

Yep.

Im tyring to imagine that they might be able to pull of an expansion of the universe of androids and their place in humanity such as something like "Ghost in the Shell; Stand Alone Complex" was able to manage but i keep thinking of Rick Deckard taking the Bible to a gaint techno pyramid to the sound of a cheap knock-off of the Tron Legacy soundtrack.

This will not end well.

Never seen Blade runner but i have afew gripes with the Book of Eli producers.

Ugg. I have to agree with most here. This will likely not turn out well.

Can't wait for the Citizen Kain game, it will be so cool.
I don't thin a Blade Runner game will gather much audience.

Wooo! Blade Runner Episode 2 - The Crystal Replicant coming soon to a cinema near you.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

*long inhale, falls to knees*

WHY WON'T THEY LET THE BONES OF THE GREAT ONES REST

Has everyone seriously run out of good ideas? Christ, just leave this alone. Period.

Just stop. Now. Before you make the world worse.

I am not a happy bunny on hearing this one.

Rape away, I just won't go see your shitty movies.

I admit, all I got from Blade Runner was the ability to say I saw it an a gigantic "WTF" that still confuses me to this day.

Anyway, Book of Eli was awesome, so I think they can do it. Not to say I'd expect something amazing, but at the very least it has potential.

NONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONO

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

F-F-F-F-Franchise breaker.

It's strange I haven't seen Blade Runner. Completely at least. But this doesn't promise anything too good anyways.

The Book Of Eli was such crap, I couldn't even watch it to the end.

Korenith:

You took the words right out of my mouth. This will only end in humiliation and despair for all parts involved.

Eh you kids are all so negative. There's a lot of interesting stuff in Blade runner, mentioned only in passing. What's a C-beam? There's wars in space? And the colonies? In short maybe go with anime.

Ghengis John:
Eh you kids are all so negative. There's a lot of interesting stuff in Blade runner, mentioned only in passing. What's a C-beam? There's wars in space? And the colonies? In short maybe go with anime.

I would accept an anime series specifically go cover those points. Thanks for bringing those up btw :)

It doesn't need a sequel. It doesn't need a prequel. Leave it the fuck alone.

It's funny how hollywood is now so bereft of ideas they have to try and remake or rehash anything and everything. This will not end well and we all know it, so tell you what lets not bitch, moan or complain. Let them do it and not see it and then when they look at their balance sheets they will realise what an almighty cock up they have made.

I wonder how many people here know of/have played the Blade Runner game? That was pretty good and based off of the film, showing that good stuff can come out of further use of the Blade Runner universe. Let's not hastily jump down this studio's throat before we actually know anything about what they're planning.

I like the replies to this news, simply because to those that said that Blade Runner doesn't need a sequel, I'd like to say "Did you not realise there was a series of Blade Runner sequals?"

All of which are considered official, and have been authorised by Philip K. Dick himself. Further, the damn things "attempt to resolve many of the differences between the novel and the film". So, to be honest, I don't exactly see an issue here.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here