THQ Wants a Shot at Activision's Shooter Crown

THQ Wants a Shot at Activision's Shooter Crown

THQ has its figurative fingers crossed that the launch of Homefront will make it a serious contender for the modern combat championship belt.

When it comes to military shooters, the undisputed king of the castle is Activision. The Call of Duty series is an absolute monster, with each new release setting even greater records than the one before it. Electronic Arts made no bones about its desire to seize the crown with the Medal of Honor reboot, which is presumably an ongoing process, but now it looks like we may have a new player in the game: THQ.

THQ isn't a heavyweight publisher like Activision or EA but Vice President Danny Bilson is hoping to pick a fight with them anyway. "When we started Homefront, I said, 'Guys, if you want to build a first person shooter that deals with modern combat you're competing with Call of Duty'," he told Eurogamer. "The mission is - we just want to be in the conversation. With Battlefield, with Call of Duty, with Medal of Honor. And I like to think we're in the conversation."

"Can we beat them? Those are insane numbers for fantastic games, over many years," he continued. "This is a franchise launch but so far so good. I think we have a really good game. And I think in particular in the multiplayer battlefield is as much fun as anybody's."

Bilson clarified that the 200,000 pre-orders he talked about yesterday, which made Homefront the most pre-ordered game in THQ history, were strictly from GameStop and didn't take into account other retailers or European pre-sales. "They're not Call of Duty numbers," he said. "But we're also a more nimble company, so a moderate hit will mean a lot to us. And a blockbuster hit would be ridiculously huge for us. All we can do is make the best game we can, sell it as well as we can and hope for the best."

Homefront comes out on March 15 for the PC, Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.

I honestly hope this is the case. Maybe then we'd get more bitching about the games, but it would be varied! VARIED! Can you imagine that?

Doesn't every shooter developer/publisher hope this?

D'aww, that's so cute! Maybe I'll have to get it.

THQ have already failed by annoying the hell out of steam users in the UK mainland who can not buy the game on steam though it uses steamworks, apparently they did a deal which made it retail exclusive.

Say what you want about activision but they haven't sunk this low, at least they only screw the PC with the map packs.

Why must everyone try to take Activision's crown? Just enjoy your own sales and all that and make sure Homefront is going to suck with a cheap 'emotional' story.

Seize the crown?

Not possible. The franchise will just eventually fall out of favor with the masses naturally over time. No single title will manage such a thing.

Touch the crown?

Not probable, but possible. Halo did it with Reach.

Sell well enough to make a decent profit?

Quite likely. Judging from all the buzz about this game.

Frontlines was innovative in some respects, albeit buggy. I dont think that Homefront will propel THQ into a publishing titan, but the game is getting alot of buzz, from what I can see.

I don't plan on buying Homefront, nor do I think it stands a shot in hell of toppling Call of Duty or Battlefield, but best of luck to everyone at THQ. If by chance Homefront does top CoD, I would honestly be thrilled to see such a hot new IP make such a big splash.

'course, I would still like to see my childhood hero Sonic the Hedgehog make such a triumphant return, but I have to keep expectations reasonable

I hope they fail, they are marketing a game and promoting it as something it isnt, its the same patriotic BS other military games are, its worse imo, and they are relying on controversy.
Fuck those guys.

I preordered this game and am expecting the campaign to be pretty good, way better than Call of Duty, but take down Call of Duty? Doubt it.

THQ wants the Golden Goose?
Get in line.

If you're lucky, you might be able to pilfer an egg though.

Hopefully homefront can sell a decent amounnt of units. I like their attitute, the studio obviously CHOSE to do a modern millitary shooter (you hear that Activision? Some publishers actually give them a choice) and a new IP at that and THQ have done their best to back them on that.

Of course the most important thing is that it is a great game and it sells well. I think certain people have begun to forget about the importance of quality in the industry.

isn't the shooter crown worn by Valve?
and Activision has on of those things from burgertown?

Onyx Oblivion:
Seize the crown?

Not possible. The franchise will just eventually fall out of favor with the masses naturally over time. No single title will manage such a thing.

Touch the crown?

Not probable, but possible. Halo did it with Reach.

Sell well enough to make a decent profit?

Quite likely. Judging from all the buzz about this game.

idk, it will depend on how well Homefront will do and how well Space Marine sells.

EDIT:

teebeeohh:
isn't the shooter crown worn by Valve?
and Activision has on of those things from burgertown?

The only crown Valve has is the "buy cheap mods and make millions from their so called "hard work""

I like the way this guy speaks, like a human instead of a robot corporate fuck. Almost makes me think about buying this game even though it looks like chum.

Skizle:

idk, it will depend on how well Homefront will do and how well Space Marine sells.

Space Marine is automatically going to sell well. Not because it will be a good game (Though it certainly will given Relic's track record), but because of Brand recognition. Warhammer 40k is the second most popular tabletop miniatures game next to Dungeons and Dragons. They are guaranteed good sales by default. Did you see the numbers for the top selling games on Steam? Dawn of War 2, an offbeat RTS was on that list.

Scrumpmonkey:
Hopefully homefront can sell a decent amounnt of units. I like their attitute, the studio obviously CHOSE to do a modern millitary shooter (you hear that Activision? Some publishers actually give them a choice) and a new IP at that and THQ have done their best to back them on that.

Of course the most important thing is that it is a great game and it sells well. I think certain people have begun to forget about the importance of quality in the industry.

If some of the Homefront previews are anything to go by, they're certainly not the ones to remember the importance of quality. I rarely see a bad preview (generally, if a game is bad, the preview is rather 'meh' in tone, but not apparently negative) but RPS's preview for the game was not a good one.

I have this weird dream that Homefront sells huge amounts of money...enough to buy the rights to Homeworld.

Then relic can make Homeworld 3.

[sighs] What a wonderful dream.

Woodsey:

Scrumpmonkey:

If some of the Homefront previews are anything to go by, they're certainly not the ones to remember the importance of quality. I rarely see a bad preview (generally, if a game is bad, the preview is rather 'meh' in tone, but not apparently negative) but RPS's preview for the game was not a good one.

Well i haven't been keeping up but if this is a bad game and it sells really well just for being a modern millitary shooter than i think that might be a bad thing for the industry.

Namewithheld:
I have this weird dream that Homefront sells huge amounts of money...enough to buy the rights to Homeworld.

Homeworld: Homefront: When Space Koreans Attack! Full of emotional and patriotic riffs to stir the player into a xenophobic frenzy! Or something... >.>

It is entirely possible that seven Homefront games will compete will the Call of Duty franchise. A single game, though, has no chance of "beating" a series as well-established as Call of Duty. We'll wait and see what the numbers say.

I can be sure, however, that Homefront will not contend with Battlefield. At all. It's just Call of Duty except with more stuff than usual in each match. No proper combat roles, no player-to-player teamwork, no big-picture strategy. Just more of Call of Duty. I'll pass.

Wicky_42:

Namewithheld:

Homeworld: Homefront: When Space Koreans Attack! Full of emotional and patriotic riffs to stir the player into a xenophobic frenzy! Or something... >.>

OH!

A homeworld space-fighter game, where you play as an interceptor pilot, fighting to defend Hiigara from various attacking bad guys, and there will be plot and character and that FUCKING AWESOME HOMEWORLD SCORE!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzo4ONrI8n8

And you'd be flying around and shooting stuff and we'd bring back space fighter sims and Homeworld all in one fell swoop.

GENIUS!

Here's hoping. Then again, here's me also hoping BF3 is the single greatest thing since Sub sandwiches.

I actually want this game, so the idea that it could take COD's crown, while impossible, is quite nice to think about while installing Blops, and installing Homefront.

Honestly, every time I read something like this, I have to roll my eyes. Just concentrate on making the best game you can, THQ. Do that, and the crown will come to you.

You want to beat Call of Duty? How about instead of attempting to hype up and market your game as a flat out copy of Call of Duty you could do something original that draws players in.

For all of THQ's hopes, it certainly seems like they've been doing the bare minimum to attain an end.

None of their games on Steam have any achievements. The Dawn of War series, while adequate, is still extremely imbalanced and very distant from the codex of tabletop. As any owner of World of Zoo on Steam will tell you, they're willing to rip off PC gamers to make an extra buck on the console market. And their Red Faction series, despite having novel ideas like destructible landscapes and buildings, is completely idiotic with its implementation of it.

In fact, that basically sums most of THQ's portfolio, to me - novel ideas executed very poorly. I'm willing to stand behind a small publisher that cares about its games, but it seems that THQ cares more about the bottom line. I really can't wait until the videogame market starts punishing mediocrity more.

Soviet Heavy:
Space Marine is automatically going to sell well. Not because it will be a good game (Though it certainly will given Relic's track record), but because of Brand recognition.

It goes beyond Brand Recognition. Console gamers (and PC gamers who don't do RTS) who're also fans of Warhammer 40k have been waiting for (and demanding) something like Space Marine to be made for a long time now...

Hell, even fans of Dawn of War should be looking forward to Space Marine... especially if they didn't like the Action-RTS style of DoWII. Hopefully by splitting off another franchise from within the WH40k setting Relic can scratch their Action itch with Space Marine games and put future DoW games back to pure RTS games again. Yes, even I can be naively optimistic at times.

The other reason PC gamers should support Space Marine is because we made enough bloody noise to get THQ/Relic to release a PC version after their initial decision not to... probably a good idea not to make them regret that.

"Seizing the crown" is a bit hyperbolic but certainly the desire to "be in the conversation," as Mr. Bilson put it, is reasonable. Nobody seriously expects Homefront (or any other game) to make people forget about CoD, but making it a game that's held in the same esteem is certainly achievable. THQ ain't Acti (or EA) but who says a middleweight publisher can't put out a heavyweight game now and then?

Soviet Heavy:

Skizle:

Space Marine is automatically going to sell well. Not because it will be a good game (Though it certainly will given Relic's track record), but because of Brand recognition. Warhammer 40k is the second most popular tabletop miniatures game next to Dungeons and Dragons. They are guaranteed good sales by default. Did you see the numbers for the top selling games on Steam? Dawn of War 2, an offbeat RTS was on that list.

Err, D&D isn't a tabletop miniatures game. It's a tabletop game with which you can optionally use miniatures.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here