Gabe Newell Gives Away Personal Steam Password

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Gabe Newell Gives Away Personal Steam Password

Gabe Newell has given out his Steam account information and double dog dares you to log-in to his account.

Gabe Newell's Steam account information has been leaked to the entire world. Not by a hacker, but by Newell himself in an attempt to prove how safe Steam's new security system is.

Valve recently unveiled Steam Guard, a new layer of protection that allows Steam users to tie their account to a single PC, preventing account theft even with the knowledge of log-in information. Steam Guard also notifies users if someone tries to log-in to their account from a foreign computer.

At the CeBIT conference in Hanover Germany, Newell demonstrated the power of Steam Guard by revealing his Steam log-in email and password to the crowd (and now the internet). "You can try to log-in and steal my account if you can," he said. "But you can't."

Newell's Steam log-in email is "[email protected]," and his password is "MoolyFTW." Give it a shot! Perhaps the elusive Half-Life 2: Episode 3 is inside.

Source: Reddit

That man has balls of steel.

I still have doubts about using this system myself but its nice to know that it works.

A Reddit user tried to use said log-in and password.
Needless to say, it didn't work.

Spot the spelling error.

Well, as long as it doesn't become obligatory, I'm fine with it. The idea of tying my steam login to one computer is not a good one. For others it might be, but for me, that'd be unworkable. Still, interesting challenge. Would be embarrassing if someone manages it, but I guess the advantage is even if someone does get around it then they'd just fix whatever they did and nobody would be able to do it again.

This kinda reminds me of that Blizzard guy giving out his real name to try and prove that people using RealID couldn't find any personal info on you just by seeing your name.

Incase you don't know the story, it took the forum goers all of 15 minutes to find his address and send pizzas to his house. And that was the tamest thing they did.

BabyRaptor:
This kinda reminds me of that Blizzard guy giving out his real name to try and prove that people using RealID couldn't find any personal info on you just by seeing your name.

Incase you don't know the story, it took the forum goers all of 15 minutes to find his address and send pizzas to his house. And that was the tamest thing they did.

They went too far by posting pictures of his family members, including the children. That they took themselves.

Delusibeta:

Spot the spelling error.

You see, Valve just had to go the extra mile - it wasn't enough for them to create this new security system; they also felt it necessary to invent a new word in the process, just as an added bonus...in this case, you have been DECTECTED, my friend. I dare say that some form of doom awaits you.

Delusibeta:

Spot the spelling error.

I don't dectect anything.

---

I wonder, what happens if someone has an identical PC build? Do they somehow log serial numbers as well? I'm not entirely familiar with this hardware security concept.

I tried this earlier, it "dectects" a wrong processor.

Pretty cool though.

Edit: Wow, ninjad, I should write faster.

Delusibeta:

Spot the spelling error.

Spelling error dectected.

Well, my immediate thought is that it's an advertising gimmick and that Gabe set up a dummy account just for the promotion.

Also as ironic as it is, given that Gabe has been used as the butt of internet jokes for a long time, including being put into a lingerie contest, he probably figures there isn't much anyone could do to him that he hasn't already faced.

... and then he does have the infamous "Steam shut off switch" and if they push too hard, the apocolypse beckons [shivers]

The Youth Counselor:

BabyRaptor:

They went too far by posting pictures of his family members, including the children. That they took themselves.

Oh, I completely agree. I wasn't advocating it, just saying I think this will have a similarly bad outcome.

It would be the most perfect news flash and fail in the gaming industry to hear that someone in fact DID hack past SteamGuard and fucked up his account.

So I haven't heard anything about this, but what if the computer I got my steam account tied to, dies in a sudden way(hit by lightning or something like that). Would that mean I had to get me a new steam account? Or could I perhaps contact support about it and they untie it for me.

If any other company did something like this, I'm sure their system would be hacked in hours, but knowing Valve and based on what I've read about SteamGuard, I can't see that happening. It seems like a pretty impressive security system.

Nevertheless, I'm sure there are tons of hacking communities losing sleep over this anyway.

...so appearantly you can't do anything on another pc if you're not using the PC you linked steam security with...that's balls.

How are you gonna prove that you are really you to steam support? Secret Question? I hate those, I always forget it :p

Should get a authenticator thingy like blizz, I have it on the ipod, not gonna pay for one xD

Yeah, you can't get his account. Until some hacker cracks it. I guess Gabe must be really confident that the security works.

Tom Goldman:

Newell's Steam log-in email is "[email protected]," and his password is "MooleyFTW."

The password is actually "MoolyFTW"

Well, that's one way of doing a product demo I suppose. It would have been seriously embarrassing if it had gone wrong. And they got into his account. AND THEY FOUND HALF LIFE 3! 0_o

That would have been a cool reveal though.

I'm sure this is gabe newell lording his brilliance over us all just to rub it in.

unoleian:
I wonder, what happens if someone has an identical PC build? Do they somehow log serial numbers as well? I'm not entirely familiar with this hardware security concept.

The theory goes that each individual processor generates its own random number sequence, presumably based on something like the serial number on the chip. Which means even if you manage to reverse engineer the algorithm, you still need the serial number of the target computer's processor, which is a pain in the arse to get. In theory, at least.

I want the best hackers on the internet on this case ASAP! FOR THE LULZ!

But yeah, this system does sound damn hard to crack...

MoolyFTW, eh?

Urban Dictionary says it (mooly) is a derogatory term used by Italians for black people... or just "eggplant."

So, is Gabe Newell a secret racist? Or a fan of Eggplant Parmesan?

Only asking him directly will tell.

Isn't this similar to how Windows activation worked on XP (and probably on Vista and 7 as well)?

It generates a hardware ID that is unique to each computer and when the hardware is changed...sometimes it triggers a red flag and you had to re-activate?

kebab4you:
So I haven't heard anything about this, but what if the computer I got my steam account tied to, dies in a sudden way(hit by lightning or something like that). Would that mean I had to get me a new steam account? Or could I perhaps contact support about it and they untie it for me.

In the case of the "Steam sends a super secret password via e-mail" version of SteamGuard, probably not if you can still access the e-mail with the password in it.

In the case of "Intel tech used, processor dies", then a support ticket containing a picture of your collected Steamworks CD keys would probably be in order.

omicron1:
MoolyFTW, eh?

Urban Dictionary says it (mooly) is a derogatory term used by Italians for black people... or just "eggplant."

Isn't Intel's president nicknamed Mooly?

Bad move, Gabe. The internet has its ways.

If he was REALLY confident about this new "Dectection" stuffs, he'd use it to dare people to steal something important.

Like a kitten or bank account with exactly one dollar in it. Or Half-Life 2: Episode 3.

omicron1:
MoolyFTW, eh?

Given what we know about Gabe, I'm pretty sure its safe to say that its the latter...

(btw that was a fat joke for all of you that didnt get it :P)

Oh i hope someone is able to fuck up his account now, would be lolage

Garak73:
Isn't this similar to how Windows activation worked on XP (and probably on Vista and 7 as well)?

It generates a hardware ID that is unique to each computer and when the hardware is changed...sometimes it triggers a red flag and you had to re-activate?

On serious note: Probably but not likely

On a more LOL note: A hand pops out of the CPU to feel your gut, and if it doesn't fit Gabe's then you couldn't log in.(Exclusive feature only available to Gabe)

Brave, brave man. It would have been comedy gold at his expense if someone had hacked it while he was still talking (as they no doubt tried).

Still unless he puts a time limit on this and changes his password this will get broken eventually. Its one of the laws of the universe that if you lock something someone will come along and steal it.

Either way another successful troll Mr. Newell; well played. If they break into your account it's no problem because you control the means to revert it and if they don't you've just caused several large groups of people to have a lot of interest at very little personal expense.

am i the only one who is hoping valve has some damn good antispam filters for thier company email? or thinking of sending him an email that just says hi

skorpion352:
am i the only one who is hoping valve has some damn good antispam filters for thier company email? or thinking of sending him an email that just says hi

I thought of same thing when I realized what was going to happen.

Reminds me of that other company wo boasted about beating 4chan then got hacked.

Tom Goldman:
Steam Guard also notifies users if someone tries to log-in to their account from a foreign computer.

I hope Gabe remembered this and made sure there was an option to turn it off.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here