Studio Confirms New Resident Evil Movie Already in the Works

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Studio Confirms New Resident Evil Movie Already in the Works

The fifth installment of the successful movie series should arrive just in time for Doomsday.

It doesn't look like having a Devil May Cry movie to make is doing anything to slow down production of Resident Evil films at the Sony-owned studio Screen Gems. Quite the opposite, in fact, as the gap between the fourth and fifth movie is going to be the shortest one yet.

As with the last three movies, the new Resident Evil, which has the imaginative working title of "Resident Evil 5," is coming out in mid-September. But where previous installments have been separated by a three year gap, this time, it's only two, meaning that the movie will hit theaters in 2012. Very few details are known about the plot, and it's unlikely to have much in common with the videogame version of Resident Evil 5. It has been confirmed, however, that the movie will be shot in 3D, like its predecessor, Resident Evil: Afterlife.

The Resident Evil movies aren't the finest films in the world, but they do make a heck of a lot of money, which is probably why Screen Gems is so eager to get another out the door so quickly. Afterlife made nearly a quarter of a billion dollars in the foreign market, and around $60 million domestically. Interestingly though, while the domestic revenue was up from previous installments, attendance was actually at an all-time low for the series, which means that much of the domestic revenue was due to higher ticket prices for 3D movies.

Resident Evil 5, which will undoubtedly pick up a subtitle before it hits theaters, is scheduled for release on September 14th 2012.

Source: Box Office Mojo via CVG

Oh, come on, why? It's already been proven these guys are incompetent with Resident Evil Extinction in D3 the Mighty F****

Instead of sticking to a formula that works somewhat, Resident Evil Apocalypse, they continue to make their movies worse (REA) and worse (REE). Yes, they make money, but that is no excuse to keep on squirting out shit after shit after shit. Even if you have a toilet that pays you money everytime you make a shit, you'd still want to change your diet so you don't Diarrhea all over the place every time.

That has to be the most screwed up comparison ever ...

dear lord when will it stop? >.<

DTWolfwood:

Puddle Jumper:
Oh, come on, why? It's already been proven these guys are incompetent with Resident Evil Extinction in D3 the Mighty F****

Instead of sticking to a formula that works somewhat, Resident Evil Apocalypse, they continue to make their movies worse (REA) and worse (REE). Yes, they make money, but that is no excuse to keep on squirting out shit after shit after shit. Even if you have a toilet that pays you money everytime you make a shit, you'd still want to change your diet so you don't Diarrhea all over the place every time.

I've never been one to try to nominate them for an oscar, but when I want zombie killing and ass kicking, I turn on Resident Evil. Why can't people just appreciate them for that? Just sit back and enjoy the zombie killing.

I enjoy these movies despite what the Resident Evil purists say. The first one was by far the best, but the sequels havn't exactly been terrible. Not as excited for the next installment as I was the first 3 times, but I'll still definately see it one way or another.

xXSnowyXx:
I enjoy these movies despite what the Resident Evil purists say. The first one was by far the best, but the sequels havn't exactly been terrible. Not as excited for a sequal as I was the first 3 times, but I'll still definately see it one way or another.

It's strange how people can be purists about such a batshit insane setting at all.

OT: Didn't the director say there was going to be a fifth one before the fourth one? I'm pretty sure this came out an age ago.

Eri:

DTWolfwood:

Puddle Jumper:

I've never been one to try to nominate them for an oscar, but when I want zombie killing and ass kicking, I turn on Resident Evil. Why can't people just appreciate them for that? Just sit back and enjoy the zombie killing.

Yeh except the fact the fight choreography in the movies are just terrible. I rather go back and watch Ninja Assassin than watch any more of these Resident Evil movies. The fact that attendance domestically is at an all time low tells me im not alone in this thinking.

edit: its doesn't make a compelling fight scene when you cut to a different frame after every kick or punch, or see how slow they are fighting when they just show you in a wide angle shot. Milla Jovovich is hot and all but man she needs to get some speed into her fighting.

The first three I liked, even though they slowly declined as they went along.

The latest was terrible purely because it was in 3D, they deliberately filmed half of it in slow motion or with "dynamic" posing just for the 3D effects and nothing more.

I don't object to another sequel (as the ending of the last one made it obvious it'd happen), but yet more unnecessary 3D means I won't be seeing it in the cinema this time.

Eri:

DTWolfwood:

Puddle Jumper:

To be honest, I can't. The movies have little to do with the games anymore, and technically from the first movie on, they never did anyways. They just used a bit from each game to shape a new story. Which is fine, and I can appreciate the movies on their own merits for that reason. But when I think of Resident Evil, I think of how the games went down. I think of the characters as they were in the games, I think of Tyrant and William Birkin, and I think of Ada Wong and HUNK. :3

Just my opinion. :)

I enjoyed Afterlife, and I hope the next movie is more action packed then it's predecessor. :)

*goes to watch Resident Evil: Degeneration again*

By this stage I think the films and the movies are only linked by sharing a name. I'm sure they'll have fun making a fifth film.

DTWolfwood:

Are you referring to the movies, or the game news industry giving them coverage and thus legitimizing the series' very existence?

Gundam had a shitty live-action screen adaption, but most Gundam fans didn't acknowledge it because they knew the series deserved better. And that's exactly why there isn't a G-Savior 2, let alone 3, 4, and fucking 5.

Eri:
but when I want zombie killing and ass kicking, I turn on Resident Evil.

I'm sorry that's all you have

Why!!! The first film was ok-ish but then it just turned to shit. It annoys me when I hear douches at school talking about how they "know" resident evil because of the movies, they get all the info wrong and its irritating. They butchered my childhood!

I want a sequel to RE: Degeneration. That was the best resident evil film!

Aylaine:
snip

You should watch Resident Evil:Degeneration and its upcoming sequel, Resident Evil:Damnation.

These 2 are cannon Resident Evil CGI movies made by Capcom themselves!

Well, while I can't say the resident evil movies are in my all time top 10, or even anywhere close, heck the last one they even forgot the staple of zombie slaughter: shoot them in the head, the combo of Jovovich (usually naked in at least one scene) and zombie slaughter does appeal to me so I will be seeing it even though I suspect it will be bad.

Puddle Jumper:

You do realise there's nothing forcing you to watch it, right? So why not ignore it, and let the fans, like me, enjoy the film in peace without screaming that it's a load of crap before you've even see it? Just because you don't like it, doesn't give you the right to prevent other people from doing so.

As for me, I'm glad. I really enjoyed Afterlife, because it was a fun entertaining film that didn't take itself seriously, and the 3D was actually pretty good, surprisingly (better than in the likes of Clash of the Titans or Alice in Wonderland, at least). I'm genuinely looking forward to this new film, because I know that it will be something fun to watch that doesn't feel any need to pander to the more 'serious' tone that other action movies are expected to adhere to nowadays.

I disregard the resident evil part in these titles nowadays. They aren't resi films they are hilarious zombie comedy movies.

Afterlife was the funniest movie I saw last year. The 3D made something diabolically shit into a completely hilarious over the top comedy. Loved it. I hope 5 is equally awesome/terrible.

Sinclose:
You should watch Resident Evil:Degeneration and its upcoming sequel, Resident Evil:Damnation.

These 2 are cannon Resident Evil CGI movies made by Capcom themselves!

Except that Degeneration was bad. :p

OT: I'm happy. Afterlife was the best one of the series yet, IMO, so having a fifth one is absolutely fine by me.

I HATED the first 3. But I really enjoyed afterlife because of the spectacle. I'd like to see another at the cinema but i have no intention of ever buying the blu rays or watching it on TV.

To be honest, when I saw a commercial for 'Afterlife' I stopped what I was doing and said:

"Really? They are still making these? Well... Okay. Hey, Bro! Wanna see the new Resident Evil?"

To which my friend replied:

"There's another one? Really?"

I didn't think anyone even watched them, let alone that they had earned a total of a QUARTER OF A BILLION bucks.

That's some seriously thought provoking shit...

It kinda makes you reflect on the 'Step one, step two, profit' joke...

I love this comedy series. I still need to see RE3D.

DTWolfwood:

Eri:

DTWolfwood:

Puddle Jumper:

Yeh except the fact the fight choreography in the movies are just terrible. I rather go back and watch Ninja Assassin than watch any more of these Resident Evil movies. The fact that attendance domestically is at an all time low tells me im not alone in this thinking.

edit: its doesn't make a compelling fight scene when you cut to a different frame after every kick or punch, or see how slow they are fighting when they just show you in a wide angle shot. Milla Jovovich is hot and all but man she needs to get some speed into her fighting.

The thing that really ruined it for me in the last file was how it was made for 3D. This is something that should never happen. The fights looked asinine and really poorly done because they are trying to make the cooler in 3D.

Here is an example of much better cooler fight choreography without all the crap about cutting to a different shot after every single hit. And the cutting they do, is much better placed. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UR5wXrak2k4

OT: I like the films for what they are, but it's a little annoying when you watch and immediately know how a scene could have been better. I don't know what the director is thinking half the time. The first film was awesome, the second was acceptable (if for no other reason it was a completely decimated city), but the third one in the desert was crap, and fourth one was terrible, if for no other reason than they made it for 3D which butchered all the action scenes. AND, I hated how they just threw in creatures from RE5 for no reason at all. Just for more of a connection to the games I guess, but it was terrible.

As far as RE: Degeneration is concerned. I waited for that since the day I heard about it. I got it the day it came out, and was treated to a film that was so boring I could barely sit through it. And the CGI is a combination of good and shit terrible. Some scenes are great, other scenes look like they were not even finished. I loved how it was canon, but hated how cut rate it was and boring. I am still looking forward to next one, but I am not going to hold my breath on it being really good.

i really do not understand what people like about these movies. excluding not having anything to do with the game, the story is terrible, the action is bland, the characters and acting are hammy.... what the hell to people keep watching this shit for?! there is NO redeeming qualities, its not so bad its good, its not a shallow action flick, its just....SHIT.

Ubermetalhed:
I disregard the resident evil part in these titles nowadays. They aren't resi films they are hilarious zombie comedy movies.

Afterlife was the funniest movie I saw last year. The 3D made something diabolically shit into a completely hilarious over the top comedy. Loved it. I hope 5 is equally awesome/terrible.

This is where I am as well.

These movies are my guilty pleasures.[1] Sure, I'm a fangirl of Milla and I freely admit that, but I go into each and every one of these movies with low expectations (plot-wise) and and just accept them for what they are-eye candy with no redeemable value. (And I LIKED the first movie. The commentary with Milla and Michelle Rodriguez was entertaining to listen to.)

[1] Honestly, these are the equivalent to Adam Sandler movies, imo. I LOATHE that fsking idiot and make fun of anyone who enjoys his shitty movies. These flicks are basically the action version of his tripe and sadly I happen to enjoy just staring blankly at them.

Eri:

DTWolfwood:

Puddle Jumper:

Thank you.

Seriously, what to people expect from a game adaptation? The first three tried and failed to be scary, which is what made Afterlife so good; it finally quit trying and just pumped up the ass-kickery.

Ok, first of all, RE in a form of any media (Especially the video games) is shit.

The movies are only starting to become half decent.
And the games are starting to fall back into bad habit (*cough* Resident Evil 5 *Cough*)

*Sigh* This series ain't gonna go nowhere until the Dev's/Director's know how to make it good for a start!

EDIT : Why are you trying to Adapt a Video-game into a movie?! Look what happened to Double Dragon!
Look at Super Mario Bros!
Look at the shitty cartoon that came out of LoZ!
Look at what came out of Nintendo in general! A crappy 4-th wall breaking cartoon from the 80s that somehow is still ongoing!
Stop!

There's something I enjoy about these movies, even if I can admit they're terrible. Maybe it's just thinking as I watch it about who thought this or that was a good idea. Also Ali Larder and Milla Jovavich are hot. To say nothing of Sienna Guilleroy. But I'm not just there for hot girls, I'm really there to enjoy some over-the-top stupidity. Like the opening of the last film where there were 300 Millas. What were they thinking when they came up with that? WHY!?!?

Nemu:

These movies are my guilty pleasures.[1] Sure, I'm a fangirl of Milla and I freely admit that, but I go into each and every one of these movies with low expectations (plot-wise) and and just accept them for what they are-eye candy with no redeemable value. (And I LIKED the first movie. The commentary with Milla and Michelle Rodriguez was entertaining to listen to.)

Highfive.

[1] Honestly, these are the equivalent to Adam Sandler movies, imo. I LOATHE that fsking idiot and make fun of anyone who enjoys his shitty movies. These flicks are basically the action version of his tripe and sadly I happen to enjoy just staring blankly at them.

Can't get enough of these! :D

Eri:

DTWolfwood:

Puddle Jumper:

exarctly! i don't consider them "canon", but they're great mindless fun. plus, i'll take any excuse to watch Milla Jovovich. i just wish they'd kill off Claire so Ali Larter will go away...

Really? REALLY? We need more of these?

The first one was cool in a "Oh my god they finally made one!" way, the second one was good in that they made improvements on the concept and added A)Nemesis + B)Badass Alice Ending = WIN. Third was the one that starting waning interest, but at least it tied up everything and gave an end.

The fourth was a horrible, horrible piece of shit. Really, as a RE fanboy, and as a RE Film fanboy, it was just awful. Total rip off of RE5; stolen cutscenes (major rippage, not just "homage" like the helicopter scene in #2), Milla's acting was shit, and the direction they went with Alice was just BLEH.

Okay rant over. But does everyone agree with the sentiment "Do We Really Need Another Resident Evil Film"?

I kinda liked the first one, didn't care for the second movie, can't remember what the rest of them were about. Doesn't seem like these series are going anywhere, so i`m not going anywhere near this movie.

Kyuubi Fanatic:
But does everyone agree with the sentiment "Do We Really Need Another Resident Evil Film"?

Hollywood seems to think so, because they still make money. If the movie-going public realize that this franchise needs to end, then they will not spend a penny at neither the theater nor on the DVD. But, until that happens, we are going to see more of these films. Either until they go into space or back to the hood.

Jbird:

Kyuubi Fanatic:
But does everyone agree with the sentiment "Do We Really Need Another Resident Evil Film"?

Hollywood seems to think so, because they still make money. If the movie-going public realize that this franchise needs to end, then they will not spend a penny at neither the theater nor on the DVD. But, until that happens, we are going to see more of these films. Either until they go into space or back to the hood.

Sigh. You are right. And the unfortunate truth is: There will ALWAYS be a buyer for something.

Rest in Peace Glory Days.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or