Sony Triumphant as PlayStation 3 Returns to Europe

Sony Triumphant as PlayStation 3 Returns to Europe

Sony has succeeded in overturning LG's injunction against the PlayStation 3 in Europe, meaning that desperately needed relief supplies will finally start flowing to the console-starved continent.

In February, Dutch courts awarded LG a ten-day injunction against Sony which resulted in the seizure of tens of thousands of PlayStation 3 consoles by customs officials. The dispute actually began with a Sony complaint that several LG smartphones infringe upon Sony patents; LG responded with similar complaints against Sony Blu-ray players, including the PS3, and managed to convince the court to halt imports of the console to Europe.

But the Hague civil court has now ruled in favor of Sony's emergency challenge to the injunction. LG was directed to immediately return all seized PlayStation 3 consoles, 300,000 in total, to Sony, and will face fines of €200,000 ($276,000) per day until it complies. LG was also ordered to pay Sony's legal costs, to the tune of €130,000 ($180,000).

It's a pretty big win for Sony, although the decision has no bearing on the underlying patent dispute between Sony and LG. Those cases will continue to work their way through the courts.

Source: NeoGAF, via Twitter

Wait, if it's just a Dutch thing, isn't saying the 'PS3 returns to Europe!" rather silly?

Kind of like saying 'We Dare won't be released in Europe' when it's just the UK.

Damn. And I was going to become a PS3 smuggler.

Good for Sony then, thats some potential lost profit back in their coffers.

Whew, I'm relieved. Now I can get them legally, I'll buy a dozen.

Daystar Clarion:
Wait, if it's just a Dutch thing, isn't saying the 'PS3 returns to Europe!" rather silly?

Kind of like saying 'We Dare won't be released in Europe' when it's just the UK.

well, that's games journalism for you! Facts are irrelevant as long as you get a good headline.

Daystar Clarion:

They were shipping them all from there to the rest of Europe I believe, so none of us were getting them.

Ross Perot:

Daystar Clarion:

well, that's games journalism for you! Facts are irrelevant as long as you get a good headline.

See above. Perhaps you should attempt some research next time, before criticising others for a "lack" of it?

Well that's a kick in the balls for LG.

Daystar Clarion:

Rotterdamn is one of the biggest ports in the whole of europe and a lot of goods for europe flow through there. Sony only used that port for europe, so all shipments were halted and none in europe could get them.

Femaref:

Daystar Clarion:

Rotterdamn is one of the biggest ports in the whole of europe and a lot of goods for europe flow through there. Sony only used that port for europe, so all shipments were halted and none in europe could get them.

Ahh, that makes a lot more sense. Would have cleared things up if that was in the article. My thanks.

In the words of my ultra-liberal girlfriend. "oh you and your first world problems". That aside, did anyone doubt this would happen?

I love the headline, haha. "WE NEED PEOPLE TO READ THIS... NOW!!!!!"

If it had taken much longer, then they would have simply started importing them from other places. The court injunction really only hurt the businesses that were doing the shipping and storing. Yay government.

Quick quiz, how many officials families do you think got free PS3's out of the situation?

Ross Perot:

All PS3s destined for Europe, including the UK, are shipped in through Amsterdam and Rotterdam. So while the seizure order only applies to the Netherland, it effectively cuts off all of Europe.

This has all been explained previously. Perhaps next time you should look into that before you say something stupid.

Andy Chalk:

Ross Perot:

All PS3s destined for Europe, including the UK, are shipped in through Amsterdam and Rotterdam. So while the seizure order only applies to the Netherland, it effectively cuts off all of Europe.

This has all been explained previously. Perhaps next time you should look into that before you say something stupid.

I don't feel that it was adequately explained in your news post. Remember, i'm the poor dumb reader, i can't be expected to be extremely well-read on the subject.

Ross Perot:

Andy Chalk:

Ross Perot:

I don't feel that it was adequately explained in your news post. Remember, i'm the poor dumb reader, i can't be expected to be extremely well-read on the subject.

Then don't comment on it?

Oh and:

Wonder what such a short delay has actually cost Sony...

I mean how many PS3's are sold a day? How many are shipped in per day?

Daystar Clarion:

Rotterdam is the biggest port on the continent so if you can't bring your stuff in through Rotterdam then you'll have to bring them in through smaller ports with less infrastructure and, thusly, higher costs.

Andy Chalk:
Snip

LG was also ordered to pay Sony's legal costs, to the tune of €130,000 ($180,000).

Snip

The finer points of law escape me but it's things like this that bamboozle me.

LG had a court sanctioned embargo put on the PS3 (obviously legally ok because the court decided that "yeah this is what we're gonna do") but now Sony have got the court to change its mind; no doubt through behind the scenes politicking. That court then also decides that LG has to pay Sony's legal fees.

Eh? Why should LG have to pay for the court changing its mind?

Whatever, I don't really care but this just doesn't make sense.

TEAM SONY FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Im still curious how the patents gona play out.
I mean..if LG wins doesnt that mean Sony will get all its PS3`s screwed :O

Thank god! The crisis is over everyone, you can come out of your holes and safehouses! The lack of PS3's streaming to Europe has caused a situation we have not witnessed since the days of WWII...

/Joke

Meanwhile Microsoft tentatively eyes out the PC.

Glad to hear. Sony hasn't been the most sympathetic of gaming corporations lately, but this whole lawsuit stank of BS.

Onyx Oblivion:
Damn. And I was going to become a PS3 smuggler.

/thread

I highly doubt anyone was dying to get a PS3 (literally)

haha but in general this is a win for all gaming (dunno if it's just the consoles). maybe, maybe not. but you never know when these legal battles will spread to everyone (eyes still on California?)

perhaps like Obi-Wan Kenobi said, whatever happens to one will affect the other :p

PlayStations for all! HOORAY!!

They're still full-priced! BOOO!!!

duchaked:
perhaps like Obi-Wan Kenobi said, whatever happens to one will affect the other :p

Off-topic, but you realize in Star Wars Episode 1, Obi basically pulls that fact out of his ass? He doesn't know Gungans. He doesn't know Naboo. He barely knows the droid army beyond that they haven't been able to kill anyone they've tried to (at that point in the film). So that quote, being used to illustrate a point, doesn't... doesn't hold a whole lot of weight, my friend.

Not sure why these two dont team up and double their profits. Theyre both after the same two things anyway (money and dominance)

Well as a PS3 owner I can't help but feel good for Sony.
i hope the patent cases go good too. Cause as a lawyer i can attest that IP is a hard topic in court.

Wait, they can just steal their PS3s? The law is weird...

Andy of Comix Inc:
PlayStations for all! HOORAY!!

They're still full-priced! BOOO!!!

duchaked:

Off-topic, but you realize in Star Wars Episode 1, Obi basically pulls that fact out of his ass? He doesn't know Gungans. He doesn't know Naboo. He barely knows the droid army beyond that they haven't been able to kill anyone they've tried to (at that point in the film). So that quote, being used to illustrate a point, doesn't... doesn't hold a whole lot of weight, my friend.

lol we know the Droid army hasn't been able to kill two Jedi but beyond that he knows enough that they're huge a-holes and-wait why am I talking about this hahahaha

regardless, if I had a lightsaber, people had better listen to whatever the hell I say! lol

All I can say is: Suck it LG!

i was under the impression that Sony invented, designed and built blu-ray technology, and the first blu-ray players, wouldn't LG be infringing on sony's patents?
if not, how is sony infringing on LG, when LG had to come up with their own tech after the technology became available from sony, LG would have had to work up from scratch, so any similarities are because LG ripped off from sony?

I wonder how Sony managed to win that trial if still the patent thing hasn't cleared out.

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.