Zynga Says Your Mom is the New Hardcore Gamer

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

The face of hardcore gaming is changing and according to Zynga, it's starting to bear an uncanny resemblance to your mom.

The times, they are a-changing'. I remember when my mom would yell at me for spending 14 hours at a stretch behind my keyboard shooting up the bad guys while gorgeous summer days, meaningful relationships with girls and life in general passed me by. But now it seems like I'm the one doing all the yelling while mom is up all hours of the night, clicking furiously in a never-ending quest for "just one more level."

Gentlemen, step aside, for this is the new reality, according to Zynga executive Manny Anekal. One in five Americans play Zynga games, he told an audience at SXSW, many of whom are not gamers in the traditional sense but are nonetheless ferociously dedicated to what they play. Zynga gamers played for an average of 68 minutes per day last year based on browser time, an "enormous amount" of time even compared to television. "More women are playing FarmVille than watching soap operas," he said.

Anekal pointed out that 55 percent of all social gamers in the U.S. are women and 53 percent of Zynga gamers are women between the ages of 25 and 44. And not only does that 40-year-old mother of two spend the most time playing social games, she also spends the most money on them. "She is the new hardcore gamer," he said.

"Hardcore" isn't exactly the most precise term in the world but it makes sense that as social gaming redefines what it means to be a gamer, the definition of "core gamer" would shift as well, or at the very least broaden to include more than just high-strung button-mashers with time on their hands. The future is now, folks, and mainstream acceptance of videogames is upon us. Did you think it would look like this?

Source: WebProNews

Only 68 minutes a day? I was up till 5am last night playing Fallout New Vegas. I'm probably gonna play over 6 hours today of X3 Terran Conflict. 68 minutes is nothing.

Oh man, it'll be hilarious to see how people react to this.

YOUR mom's the new hardcore gamer, Zynga.

To be honest, though, I think this shows that gaming's not just for males under 18 or purposely made for a certain group anymore. It's for everyone, and I think that's really important.

I can't wait until all these smug facebook/smartphone game companies go belly up once their fads die.

If this is the "future" of gaming, I dont want to live on this planet anymore.

Its not really that I have a problem with these types of games, but there's a clear difference between something like that or minecraft and "Triple A" titles like GoW (Gears or God), Halo, CoD, Soul Calibur, FF, Mario, LoZ, etc. I guess I just dont want to see the next Triple A game be Farmville (since we already have something like that, called The Sims).

Oh no, what's people going to think a gamer is now? a FarmVille mother?

I played 7 hours of Dragon Age 2 yesterday.

So err... I win?

And no jokes, it was a fucking Sunday!

Honestly though, THEY'RE TWO DIFFERENT MARKETS.

emeraldrafael:
If this is the "future" of gaming, I dont want to live on this planet anymore.

Its not really that I have a problem with these types of games, but there's a clear difference between something like that or minecraft and "Triple A" titles like GoW (Gears or God), Halo, CoD, Soul Calibur, FF, Mario, LoZ, etc. I guess I just dont want to see the next Triple A game be Farmville (since we already have something like that, called The Sims).

If the Sims is an indication of what a Triple-A Farmville would be like, then I'd certainly like to see more of them.

Zynga says your mom is the new hardcore gamer.

Bwahahahaha! Yeah, my mother is a hardcore gamer and I'm the king of the world. Hell I bet if she were to hear this she would laugh too.

Andy Chalk:

That's what she said.

No wait, that didn't work at all!

Wait.. did Zynga just drop a yo' momma on all us?

Jokes on you Zynga, my mom doesn't even have a Facebook account.
And 68 mins a day? Please. I spend more time just arranging my inventory in Mass Effect.

They might be the new cashcow of gamers, but hardcore? Geh. I spend an average of six to eight hours a day on gaming, and I don't even consider myself hardcore.

My Mom plays Bejeweled 3 probably more than I game each day. Must be nice to be retired!

She doesn't use social networks tho.

P.S. Trying to stir up the Zynga hate before March Madness, eh?

When mothers kill their babies, because they distract them from Farmville, I'm not sure that "hardcore" is a hardcore enough term to describe them.

Zynga says a lot of funny things.

However, numbers don't lie.

Zynga's revenue 2010: 500-800 million.

Activision's revenue 2010: 4.8 billion.

For controlling the "hardcore crowd", they're sure dedicated to giving you money, aren't they?

Another blind developer catering to a single demographic. Nothing new here ...

I have a hard time seeing how a mother just idly placing and growing crops and junk is considered hardcore when I myself sit up for hours on end during nights with adrenaline pumping while I mow down endless hoards of online competitors, and I wouldn't call myself a hardcore gamer.

I've owned Dragon Age 2 since friday... 28 hours I've racked up so far. Zynga games are just brainwashing mashines.

Build a farm to get materials
Use materials to stock your shops
Collect money from shops to buy expansions
Build a farm to on new land to get materials

What part of that is a game? It's an experiment that pigs would perform to get a treat at best.

Antari:

What's wrong with catering to a single demographic? If you can do something really well, and it pleases a lot of similar people (making you a ton of money in the process), why would you want to chance making games aimed towards another demographic?

Andy Chalk:
Zynga and One in five Americans

This is hardly reliable or representative data now is it?

One, Zynga could be using this quite clearly as an attempt to encourage more people to play and therefore make money.

Two, One in Five Americans is also includes the male populance so it would be hard to tell whether YOUR MOM is actually playing a zynga game and the data is most likely exaggerated.

Three, It was done in America so it represents none of the other major countries in the world.

In short: Zynga is talking bullshit and your mom isn't the new hardcore gamer.

My mom? Well.. Yo Mama's so dumb i told her Christmas was around the corner, and she went lookin'.

Ldude893:
YOUR mom's the new hardcore gamer, Zynga.

To be honest, though, I think this shows that gaming's not just for males under 18 or purposely made for a certain group anymore. It's for everyone, and I think that's really important.

I'm pretty sure gaming was never made for males under 18...

OT:
frankly this isn't surprising, that they're starting to call this "hardcore" I don't even consider harvest moon hardcore. Although it's a nonviolent MMO in the truest sense, it still feels like this doesn't belong among the gaming world (I mean the... hardcore? wow we need a new name)

It's more like (and this is going to sound totally hypocritical) a big massive time waster. I dunno about other escapists here, but I try and gauge my playtime a bit (or at least play in the evening when I have to get up at 7 for... you know, school and shit.) But for people who do nothing but waste life on social gaming like this... what... sense of accomplishment do you get out of it?

(more hypocrisy in 3... 2... 1...) I'll even admit that I play an MMO but even in fantasy life Mabinogi, I still come out with a sense of accomplishment in that when I level up or get stronger or whatever, now I can enjoy more parts of the game. It's not perfect and it's not WoW (not that I play Wow or am willing to try it. I've put too much time and arguably money into Mabi, not monthly fees) but farmville just feels so damned shallow and tasteless...

If anyone actually reads this, you're well within your rights to ignore this whole damn thing. My ideas started jumbling up half way through writing this. Might edit later to sound comprehensible

GiantRaven:

Antari:

What's wrong with catering to a single demographic? If you can do something really well, and it pleases a lot of similar people (making you a ton of money in the process), why would you want to chance making games aimed towards another demographic?

Nothing is wrong with it. But then claiming that demographic is better than another is pretty stupid and short minded. As well with all the money they are draining out of pockets because of kids buying things in these games, I'm not shocked they are doing very well financially.

Only 68 Minutes a day...
Even a Casual Gamer should play more than that a day.

PS : My grandmother plays Zynga games, it takes aprox 3 Hours to get her to bloody cook us dinner before our ribs start showing.

Honda sold more Civics this year than BMW sold of their new 5 Series, so move over BMW, your days are numbered!

That's about as much sense as this and Rovio's recent blatherings make. At least they could be intelligent enough to identify the new market they're developing, rather than trying to say that these casual gamers are the new hardcore.

And then there's the whole issue of how simple it is to play Farmville or Angry Birds while doing half a dozen other things. But try folding laundry or watching soaps while playing CoD.

ThisIsSnake:
I've owned Dragon Age 2 since friday... 28 hours I've racked up so far. Zynga games are just brainwashing mashines.

Build a farm to get materials
Build a farm to on new land to get materials

What part of that is a game? It's an experiment that pigs would perform to get a treat at best.

At first, I wanted to be fuming about Mr. Zynga claiming to be the be all and end all of video games, but then I lol'd. Hard. They don't make "video games". They make "Facebook applications".

The Sims is a GAME, FarmVille is a repetitive chore that "mothers" seem to insist MUST be kept up-to-date. Ugh..

Then I read ThisIsSnake's post.. And I lol'd even harder. So, so true, man.. Well played.

Horse shit. I jut got off of a 12 hour Minecraft building spree, before that was a 12 hours on Left 4 dead 2, and before that was a 12 hour Guild Wars, Warhammer, &Global Agenda spree.

And i am no where near hardcore so these mother fuckers need to cease such blasphemy.

As far as Zynga is concerned(and listen close this shits goddamn important)

The person what spends the most money on farmville cash is the uberest of leet players. They gauge how hardcore a player is by how much they spend. Why? Well its how the machine works.

Off-topic-ish time.
Why do we still call that shit "social gaming" its a nicety name given by Zynga so they did not have to call it 'Skinner-box" or "moocher-game", or "use your friends to reach victory without nay degree of socializing". Seriously. Call of Duty is more social than this shit. Facebook applications are insane and not in a good way.
My grandmother is a hardcore gamer because she sits around all day drinking tea and playing Mario on a SNES for 8 hours a day(retired bless her little soul).

They are idiots playing off their friends on an Application designed to get money.

My Grandpa is a hardcore gamer based on the fact he will sit down on Saturday and play TF2 from dawn to dusk. He is the most awesome heavy ever given the fact he is in his 60s.

Do not call them hardcore gamers. They do not play games involving any degree of coordination, skill, or intense thought(or above regular thought levels) and it is insulting to actual gamers to say such a thing.

dylanmc12:
Only 68 Hours a day...

?????????

There are only 24 hours in a day...

It seems Zynga have a very different definition of "hardcore" than we do. However you look at it the people up all night playing Assassin's Creed aren't the same people taking a few minutes out of their day to play Bejeweled or Farmville, and Zynga are no doubt aware of this. Unfortunately I still believe that Zynga are far less interested in entertainment than they are treating players are manipulable resources.

I'm surprised and a little disappointed that this thread isn't packed to the hilt with "Your Mom" jokes.

Zhukov:
I'm surprised and a little disappointed that this thread isn't packed to the hilt with "Your Mom" jokes.

Your mom plays Zynga games & is new hardcore gamer" we all lost on that one so the war was called due to lack of content able to beat that.

lacktheknack:

dylanmc12:
Only 68 Hours a day...

?????????

Irrelevant. If you want to be a true hardcore gamer, you have to play at least 100 hours a day. 68 is nothing.

Madmanonfire:

lacktheknack:

dylanmc12:
Only 68 Hours a day...

?????????

Irrelevant. If you want to be a true hardcore gamer, you have to play at least 100 hours a day. 68 is nothing.

Well, blast it. <hands in card>

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.