Valve Thinks It'd Be "Fun" to Remake Half-Life

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Valve Thinks It'd Be "Fun" to Remake Half-Life

Valve's Gabe Newell is fond of the idea of remaking the original Half-Life with new content.

On a recent episode of the SteamCast, Gabe Newell talked about what Valve would do with a remake of the original Half-Life, were one to ever happen. If it did, Valve wouldn't just shine up the content first released back in 1998.

When asked if a Half-Life remake would include the game's original cut content, Newell said: "No, I think we'd just invent new stuff. I mean, I think we're much better game designers and developers than we were back then." Newell added that he thought it'd be "fun" to take on such a project and that there would be "an unlimited amount of opportunities" for what could be altered or changed. However, Valve project manager Erik Johnson said that the Stukabat, a bat-like alien found in Half-Life's files but removed from the game, would definitely remain on the cutting room floor.

Sadly, or happily depending on your view, a remake of Half-Life in this vein will probably never happen. Gabe Newell finished his thought by saying: "It's fun to think about that stuff but almost always you're better moving forward than you are looking back," referring to Valve's desire to move onto new projects rather than taking steps into the past. I'll take Portal 2 over a remade Half-Life any day.

Source: SteamCast, via CVG

Man, if only there was some way of moving forward, while at the same time doing something Half-Life related....... like....... like some kind of Episode maybe....

At this point, they are basically trolling us, aren´t they ?

No no no no no! Not until Ep 3!

There I said it.

OT: I think that'd be quite a cool idea, if it was well executed it could introduce the story of the first game to people that haven't experienced it because they dont like the graphics etc etc (Like myself)

However, the term 'remake' is almost never uttered along side the phrase 'resounding success', but if anyone can do it Valve sure can.

They seem to have forgotten this fan made project...

Tom Goldman:
"It's fun to think about that stuff but almost always you're better moving forward than you are looking back," referring to Valve's desire to move onto new projects rather than taking steps into the past.

OBLIGATORY EPISODE 3 JOKE!

"Nah, we won't remake Half Life 1, we'll do the future projects instead...so, Portal 2".
I can feel the rage already.

Luckily for us some dudes are doing it for them.

http://www.blackmesasource.com/

Edit: let's hear it for ninjas!

Let's stick to getting episode three out first alright guys? You're kinda becoming the new Duke Nuke'em here and this isn't going to help you out at all. D:

Wasn't there some kind of fan project that was in the process of during it with the Half-Life 2 engine in the first place?

Fuck that shit, get on Half life 3 before you make a remake of the first.

TheAmazingHobo:
Man, if only there was some way of moving forward, while at the same time doing something Half-Life related....... like....... like some kind of Episode maybe....

Ahahahahah, well put. Also to the poster a couple steps down: I am SO looking forward to this. But my guess it will have a development time twice that of DNF....so... :(

TheAmazingHobo:

I do believe they are.
Goddamnit, Valve.
This is why you increasingly bother me.

I swear to god if Portal 2 isn't a lead-in to Half-Life 3 I'm going to fly to Gabe's house and slap him. TWICE.

If Halflife Regeneration or wtf they'd call it is released before Episode 3, the nerd tears would be sublime.

Gabe, you so good at trollin'

Marik2:

Bobic:

Shame there has been exactly zero news about it in over a year.

It's pretty much safe to assume the mod is dead, but hey a Valve-made remake would be welcomed.

After Episode 3

BioHazardMan:

i think thats what we're all thinking...

Bobic:

The soundtrack "went gold" a couple of days ago!

Most original post EVAR: Say, what about EP3?
Ok, got that out of the way, now let's address the actual post. Sure, I wouldn't mind a nice remake of HL1, especially since Black Mesa Source...is that even going to be released?

SomeBoredGuy:

Marik2:

Bobic:

It's pretty much safe to assume the mod is dead, but hey a Valve-made remake would be welcomed.

After Episode 3

Except for the one a couple of days ago when they announced that the soundtrack was finished.

OK, now he's just making fun of us.

If it ís coming, it had better have a lemon shooting bazooka.

SomeBoredGuy:

Marik2:

Bobic:

After Episode 3

Did I give you permission to smash my dreams? :P

Moonpooman:

SomeBoredGuy:

Marik2:

Bobic:

After Episode 3

Except for the one a couple of days ago when they announced that the soundtrack was finished.

LINKS GAWDANGIT!

Sorry, it's just any news, even the slightest inkling, that this may still be going is like Jesus-Juice to my ear.

TheAmazingHobo:

I'm still hoping that this lack of episode three news means they're almost done with it and will tell us the week it comes out.

I've been hoping that for... 2 years now?

Moonpooman:

SomeBoredGuy:

Marik2:

Bobic:

After Episode 3

Do you have a link to that?

BioHazardMan:

Screw that, get on episode 3 before you get on Half Life 3

Didn't they remake Half-Life already and called it Half-Life: Source? And wasn't it exactly the same as Half-Life?

So if Valve has already failed at remaking Half-Life, what makes them think that people are going to buy another remake?

Gabe, Jack Thompson deserves this copious amount of trolling - not us!

Moonpooman:

SomeBoredGuy:

Marik2:

Bobic:

After Episode 3

YAY progess. I had given up on Black Mesa good to see its not completely dead.

Anything bad you can say about Black Mesa is kinda irrelevent when you consider there getting more done on the half life front then Valve...

That's it, I'm done. Let me know when anything non-Portal related comes out of Valve.

Okay, now he's just fanboy baiting.

Remaking it? Why? For better graphics? It's a pretty well-made game so there doesn't seem to be a reason to remake it other than that... and if you need ridiculous graphics then I don't think Half Life is the game for you.

Marik2:

That one that has been going for eight years now? Oh yea, I had as well.

Oh god! Gabe's going replace the guns with walkie talkies! In all seriousness, though, I'm glad this probably isn't going to happen; we might've ended up with it instead of Episode 3. Oh. My. God.

Marik2:

Moonpooman:

Black Mesa soundtrack has gone gold

Its so much nicer to do these things in your own peace without fanboys crying on your back.

cowsvils:

BioHazardMan:

Screw that, get on episode 3 before you get on Half Life 3

AS far as I can tell people are calling episode 3 Half life 3.

Popido:

Marik2:

Moonpooman:

Black Mesa soundtrack has gone gold

Sweet thanks for the link

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.