Pepsi Will Soon Make All Bottles from Plants

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Pepsi Will Soon Make All Bottles from Plants

PepsiCo, makers of geek favorite Mountain Dew, is set to deploy bottles made entirely of plant materials in 2012.

Not to get all green on you, but the human race consumes a lot of soda. The resultant waste from millions of plastic bottles fills up landfills and is generally a self-defeating practice that furthers our dependence on fossil fuels because most plastic is petroleum-based. Food manufacturers have experimented with different ways to reduce waste or devise a commercially viable way to create plastic from plants instead of oil, but research has stymied at only using about 30 percent bio-plastic. Pepsi announced that it has finally "cracked the code" and will begin using bottles derived from 100 percent excess plant material - switch grass, pine bark, corn husks, orange peels, oat hulls, and potato scraps. The plan is to produce a few hundred thousand bottles as a test run this year before going full plant-plastic with over a billion bottles sold each year.

Rocco Papalia, an advanced researcher from Pepsi who spent years on the project, said that the bottles made from plants are just like ones you'd find in stores now. "It's a beautiful thing to behold. It's indistinguishable," he said.

Independent scientists are chiming in with what they believe is a packaging revolution. "This is the beginning of the end of petroleum-based plastics," said Allen Hershkowitz from the Natural Resources Defence Council. "When you have a company of this size making a commitment to a plant-based plastic, the market is going to respond."

Pepsi is certainly using the opportunity to slap Coca-Cola in the face with its discovery. Coke, Pepsi's much larger competitor, recently stated that its research was several years away from a 100 percent bioplastic bottle.

While its a step in the right direction for companies to begin using excess plant materials instead of oil to make plastic, these new bottles are not biodegradeable. Not all bioplastics break down naturally, whether from microbes or exposure to oxygen and sunlight. Pepsi's new bottle is just as environmentally durable as petroleum-based platics, but it can be recycled. We still have a long way to go before our landfills become less clogged with the refuse of human existence, but at least I won't feel as terribly guilty popping open a bottle of that sweet caffeine elixir, Mountain Dew.

Source: AP

This is actually a really good idea because I and a lot of the people I work with drink at least two sodas a day which can add up fast.

Well as long as it makes the World's oil supply last longer I cor complain.

Which company is the one that produces Lipton Green Ice Tea?

If it's Coca Cola than Fuck You Pepsi! You do not make anything good!

And if it's Pepsi! Hooray for me now I can have my Ice Tea taste slightly of potatoes.

I drink soda like a motherfucker. All the companies need to jump on this.

Jesus Christ.

Ever heard of recycling? No? There's this little thing we do in civilized countries, where every bottle or can you buy from the store can be returned to that same store (or any other store) empty and whole in return for a token sum - say, 20 or 40 cent. Adds up quickly though. Oh, look: a ton of bottles that can either be safely recycled as they ought to be, or down-right re-used as is.

Fun fact: Drunken people are poor at financial management and tend to drop their bottles around everywhere, but luckily if you don't collect your own bottles after the (outdoors) party, someone who is more entrepreneurial than you surely will. Everyone wins!

So, seriously - stuff like the OP there: not really helping. But yeah, silver star for trying I guess.

/eco rant.

CommanderKirov:
Which company is the one that produces Lipton Green Ice Tea?

If it's Coca Cola than Fuck You Pepsi! You do not make anything good!

And if it's Pepsi! Hooray for me now I can have my Ice Tea taste slightly of potatoes.

It's neither. It's Unilever.

That's great, I still won't buy your products. I've always preferred cans for this reason.
I just hope they don't patent the recipe, sure they can make a hell of a lot of money but this is really needed. Won't somebody think of the children??

A safe, transparent, re-usable plant based plastic?

Consider me puzzled, a wee bit cynical, but desperate to find out more.

Cool. No seriously, that's awesome. Good going, Pepsi.
Now to make the world understand that hemp is the way to go with this...

About bloody time that somebody switch from petroleum derived plastics to plant derived. I'm just curious how they will go about the recycling, but that's what my scifinder access is for. Yay more distractions from actual school work...

Interesting. I wonder how it's done.
Also: cue annoying people complaining that these news have nothing to do with gaming.

So Pepsi will have some plant stuff huh? I dunno. Its good that its getting green but I'm a little concerned for the drink.

But then again I don't drink Pepsi so I really shouldn't be worried. I hope this goes out well. Our environment does need some cleaning.

wow... maybe if we can stop useing oil for this the price of gas will go down... HAHAH! like that will ever happen.

Jonluw:
Interesting. I wonder how it's done.
Also: cue annoying people complaining that these news have nothing to do with gaming.

Heh, considering how much we generally drink soda, it has everything to do with gaming. Those people can take a hike.

Anyway, this discovery sounds tits. Something I, as a pepsi lover, can really get behind. I just hope that once these bottles are in production, they don't halt it for consumers complaining that they're "too loud."

Environmentalists will just complain thats we are abusing the ecosystem.

I'm glad they told what plants they would be using. Otherwise i'd get all paraniod that they're putting poisin ivy in my pepsi, which the could be for all I know.

but how are they going to prevent the bottles from degrading IN THE STORE?

Hasn't this been around already for years now, but only as soft-plastic sort of way?

Lol, watch the rest of the world be like hey pepsi can we get that code for plant bottles so we can do our part as well and pepsi is like fuck youuuuuuuuuuu we're the only saviors around here!

Tomorrow:

Coca-Cola claims Coke now provides immortality.

The Next Day:

Pepsi: Now with 100% more Time Travel!

all the while, Royal Crown Cola gets no love.

Though this is a great step in getting away from the petroleum dependency that we have, all be it in a small way.

Still though, I will be able to sleep game in confidence that Im not adding to landfills as much.

henritje:
but how are they going to prevent the bottles from degrading IN THE STORE?

The "Sell By:" date isnt a suggestion.......

it's a warning.......

Wolfrug:
Jesus Christ.

Ever heard of recycling? No? There's this little thing we do in civilized countries, where every bottle or can you buy from the store can be returned to that same store (or any other store) empty and whole in return for a token sum - say, 20 or 40 cent. Adds up quickly though. Oh, look: a ton of bottles that can either be safely recycled as they ought to be, or down-right re-used as is.

Fun fact: Drunken people are poor at financial management and tend to drop their bottles around everywhere, but luckily if you don't collect your own bottles after the (outdoors) party, someone who is more entrepreneurial than you surely will. Everyone wins!

So, seriously - stuff like the OP there: not really helping. But yeah, silver star for trying I guess.

/eco rant.

This rant is unfortunately filled with misinformation. Not all plastics are recycled; matter of fact only about 12% of them are (as of 2003). Many plastic bottles simply can't be recycled, so they are sent to the landfill.

With this new type of manufacturing, we can now ensure that the plastic bottles that can't be recycled will be biodegradable.

Wolfrug:
Jesus Christ.

Ever heard of recycling?

Recycling is a horrible way to recover materials. In "Reduce, reuse, recycle." it's meant to be the LAST option. Also, most recycling processes burn energy and generate their own more dangerous kinds of waste. Sometimes it's safer to dump things than recycle them.

Want to help the environment? Stop drinking soda at all, or at least switch to cans. It's easier to recycle aluminum than it is to refine bauxite.

Whats this about our plastic bottles in our landfills? I thought people knew how to recycle!

Wolfrug:
Jesus Christ.

/eco rant.

SCIENCE TIEM!

thermosetting polymers, aka, milk bottles, soda bottles, and various other plastics can only be set once, then they stay in the same shape. You can not break them down to make Thermoplastics which are able to be reused as different molds.

to say that you can effectively recycle thermosetting polymers to reuse is like saying drinking bleach will help cure any disease.

Science, Being useful since 34 A.D.

Quiet Stranger:
Whats this about our plastic bottles in our landfills? I thought people knew how to recycle!

^see my post above.

Wolfrug:
Jesus Christ.

/eco rant.

Is it not better though to not make any more petrol based plastics and instead make them out of a natural resource?

As much as you would like to think it, we still do not recylce enough that we don't have to make more plastic.

OT: I just hope that they share their method of making it. Down right stupid if they don't.

wait...mountain dew has caffeine?

I was hoping to see an actual plant you tear open lol.

So now, if you drink a Pepsi product, there's more natural material on the outside than in the drink itself. I'd like to see if there's more nutrition in the bottle than in the soda now. It's certainly plausible.

You just keep raking in those corn growing bonuses the government sends you Pepsi. Keep your pseudo-enviro crap to yourselves.

I was at my local recycling centre (in normal speak - tip), and they had signs up saying they're now recycling nearly 80% of household waste, which I think's pretty damn good, and they take about a hundred different things, from bras to plastic bottle caps.

I still think it's a shame that working electronics go in the same places as the broken ones however, couldn't the millions of TVs getting dumped as people go flat screen get collected up and sent to Africa, even one TV and video recorder per school would surely help?

I'm just waiting for someone to go 'they're using plants to make bottles? Won't someone think of all those poor plants? Pepsi's using up the environment instead of using recycled plastic!'

Seriously, so long as they break down into plant material over time again, there's no real downside surely, I'm all for it, so long as they don't break down too soon after the best before.

I can see supermarket floors flooded on the 1st July 2012 as all the best before Jun 12 Pepsi self destructs!

Good. If you ask me, they had it coming. All smug about their chloroplast and photosynthesis and whatnot.

Excellent news. I just hope it's also energy efficient to make these bottles and that they don't hoard the secret away to get one-up on Coke. If this method works then every company should do it.

Also, cue all the nutballs coming out who will complain their Pepsi now tastes different & INFERIOR!

Hmm, while not a supporter of the green movement i do like this because that means theres more for the cars.

It wont be much considering that everyone else still uses the current plastics, but its a little bit more.

Id just like to point out i dont drink Pepsi either.

Sprite is made by Coca-Cola right? Coca-Cola get in on this NOW.

Demon Slayer X:
So Pepsi will have some plant stuff huh? I dunno. Its good that its getting green but I'm a little concerned for the drink.

But then again I don't drink Pepsi so I really shouldn't be worried. I hope this goes out well. Our environment does need some cleaning.

You're concerned about a drink in a product made out of grass, bark, husks and others but not concerned about a drink in a product made out of petroleum? You know, similar to the stuff that powers your car? That's just plain silly.

gigastar:
Hmm, while not a supporter of the green movement i do like this because that means theres more for the cars.

It wont be much considering that everyone else still uses the current plastics, but its a little bit more.

Id just like to point out i dont drink Pepsi either.

How can you not support the green movement? Do you purposely go out of your way to throw out cans and bottles instead of recycling them? Again, silly.

Since people don't recycle even when it's readily available (there's one recycling can next to every trash can on my campus, yet I still see cans and bottles in the trash), they might as well just replace the plastic bottles with this.

Kalezian:

SCIENCE TIEM!

thermosetting polymers, aka, milk bottles, soda bottles, and various other plastics can only be set once, then they stay in the same shape. You can not break them down to make Thermoplastics which are able to be reused as different molds.

to say that you can effectively recycle thermosetting polymers to reuse is like saying drinking bleach will help cure any disease.

Science, Being useful since 34 A.D.

Quiet Stranger:

^see my post above.

Bottles aren't made out of those plastics, they're made out of PET, which is quite recyclable indeed. I suppose in earlier times they weren't made out of PET, but even then each returned plastic bottle was recycled in average over 18 times. I'm sorry but if you're going to 'science' me, you better get your facts straight.

I'm not saying that making bottles out of plant material isn't a good thing in general - it's just that you can get up to nearly 100% return rate on both aluminium cans (which can be recycled fully) and bottles through a system like this, which is infinitely better than just changing the material.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here