Blizzard Reveals It's Rooting for The Old Republic

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Blizzard Reveals It's Rooting for The Old Republic

The new Star Wars MMO could help grow the industry, says Blizzard's co-founder.

Blizzard, the studio behind the immensely popular World of Warcraft, doesn't appear to be worried about the release of a high-profile rival like Star Wars: The Old Republic on the horizon; quite the opposite, in fact, as Blizzard's top brass seems to be rather hoping that the game does well.

Frank Pearce, Blizzard's executive vice president and co-founder, said that if handled properly, the release of The Old Republic could help grow the MMO market, and that was a good thing for the whole industry, not just publisher EA and LucasArts. Blizzard CEO Mike Morhaime added that Star Wars was a strong brand and that BioWare was a great developer. He felt that The Old Republic would result in a lot more people checking out MMOs, and hoped that their experiences with TOR - and by extension, the whole genre - would be positive.

Obviously there are also things that the pair aren't saying - there must have been some discussion at Blizzard about the potential negative effects that the launch of TOR will have on WoW - but it seems that they've decided to focus on the positives instead, at least in interviews, anyway.

Star Wars: The Old Republic is scheduled for release in the second quarter of this year.

Source: MCV

Aand now they jinxed it.

Like we need Blizzard's approval to make MMOs...

Blizzard isn't worried about WoW. The damn thing has paid for itself so many times over it's actually a little nauseating and slightly frightening to think about it.

Yea, Nobody but blizzard is going to be able to make an MMO that's more popular than WoW. And that one will proly just be a graphical update of WoW.

Statements like this are probably just sound PR strategy.

Why risk making part of your fanbase upset with you.

And saying that BioWare is a great developer is like saying that most species of grass, at the peak of their photosynthetic cycle, reflect light at a frequency of about 575 Terahertz.

Plus, even if TOR siphons away a portion of WoW's playerbase Blizzard will STILL have enough subscribers to pretty much buy Belgium every year[1].

[1] this is not based on any fact, and is in fact, hyperbole on my part

boo hotkey mmo boo!

GL BIOWARE.EA

WoW is on a steady decline anyway, lest a bunch of people i know that have played it own every expansion, got bored of the latest a month after it came out and quit.

Blizzard has to recognize that WoWs best days are behind it ToR or no ToR, nevermind guild wars 2 that is looking pretty darn good. Both games will draw current and former wow players, will either game grab new people into the mmo world, hard to say. MMO players tend to gravitate from mmo to mmo as the years move on and i am sure many ToR players will be former SWG players and a mix of wow gw etc etc.

Whats blizzard supposed to say i hope they fail? Their next mmo is years off, so not like they got anything new to offer since wow has retread the same ground over and over thru multiple expansions.

Nimzar:

And saying that BioWare is a great developer is like saying that most species of grass, at the peak of their photosynthetic cycle, reflect light at a frequency of about 575 Terahertz.

And that the pope likes cats. Thats why they call him a cataholic right?

OT:
The innocent side of me thinks "well isn't that nice".

The more cynical side of me thinks:
"Yeah, of course they aren't worried. Same way no-one will kill facebook people stick where their friends are."
and
"Yeah, they hope it does great and has some stuff they can copy in their next patch"

Nimzar:

Plus, even if TOR siphons away a portion of WoW's playerbase Blizzard will STILL have enough subscribers to pretty much buy Belgium every year[1].

I laughed so hard... its a joke a Dutch guy would make ;).

On the topic: Obviously marketing people from Blizzard know their art - why be "the bad guy" while they can chill with everyone else and still make similar money? That's PR! I really approve of it, despite it is quite weird.. just like Popido said:

Popido:

... yeah, this is the feeling I also have.. Like the Emperor of Rome giving his "thumbs down".

really what they should be worried about is guild wars 2, thats certainly gonna take some of the wind out of blizzards sails, its gonna be a true mmo and its gonna have no monthly fees

raxiv:

Nimzar:

On the topic: Obviously marketing people from Blizzard know their art - why be "the bad guy" while they can chill with everyone else and still make similar money? That's PR! I really approve of it, despite it is quite weird.. just like Popido said:

Popido:

... yeah, this is the feeling I also have.. Like the Emperor of Rome giving his "thumbs up".

You know, when the Emperors did that it actually meant kill him? Thumbs down meant lower your weapons, thumbs up meant STICK 'IM. :D
OT: Anyways, I really don't know what to think of this. I wonder if they'll tell some of their subscribers to stop playing WoW and go play TOR for a week or so. :L

Jamous:

raxiv:

Nimzar:

Popido:

... yeah, this is the feeling I also have.. Like the Emperor of Rome giving his "thumbs up".

You know, when the Emperors did that it actually meant kill him? Thumbs down meant lower your weapons, thumbs up meant STICK 'IM. :D
OT: Anyways, I really don't know what to think of this. I wonder if they'll tell some of their subscribers to stop playing WoW and go play TOR for a week or so. :L

Crikey, you are right, I blame the pop-culture!

Popido:
Aand now they jinxed it.

but...but but but Blizzard made the first and only good MMO ever in the history of everything!

they are the god kings of mmo's!

all joking aside, this sort of paints EA as jerks for saying how TOR would blow WoW out of the water, nothing like your competitor saying they actually want you to succeed. But I can see where Blizzard is coming from, we have four types of mmo's, Casual's [Free Realms, Dungeon Runners. Wizard 101], WoW Clones [hell, here is a top 6 list of free WoW Clones [http://mmohut.com/editorials/best-free-wow-clones ] ], Genesis MMO's [Ones that had been around since the relative beginning], and then Specialty MMO's [MMOFPS, MMORTS, MMOTBS, Eve Online..........], we really could use some vitalization in the genre, or else we might get more games like World of Lordcraft

I was into WoW for a very long time, god I even got Grand Marshal on my hunter. A lot of my friends has slowly been quitting WoW over the last few months, either over the fact that nothing is really happening that appeals to them, or they just got fed up.

One thing that Blizzard knows better then most, is the need for great PR, and they have never been bad at it from my memory. I know a lot of gamers rate them as close to gods.

I will take a look at TOR when it comes out, just like I did Warhammer, and Guild wars (Both good games in there own right).

Just hope that BioWare lives up to there normal high standards (Sad they got eaten by EA)

raxiv:

Jamous:

raxiv:

:L No worries, I did Latin at GCSE so I know lots of interesting bits and bobs about that. Very good stuff. :D

Well, just look at WoW. See how much of what made it successful is it's ability to take what has worked in other successful MMOs (and even some of the less successful ones) and borrow it while coating it in WoW-esque goodness. Of course Blizzard wants TOR to be a success, because then they'll be able to borrow what people love about it and use it in either the next major WoW expansion or improve upon it in their next MMO.

No love for Dark Millennium? I am disappoint.

Well, it also occurs to me that Blizzard has "Titan" in the pipe which leads me to believe that they are already preparing for damage to be done by "Old Republic Online". They of course aren't going to talk about abandoning WoW and then having their player base quit right now, it's in their best interests to say it will remain a major focus and always see support, but I think they are preparing to at least make it second fiddle.

Their attitude is probably akin to being happy that Bioware will launch a game with an expensive IP attached that will draw in more people, so they can hopefully steal back a bigger audience than the one they are going to lose at least temporarly.

Such are my thoughts on the subject, but we'll see what happens, I'll definatly be trying Old Republic (I try most big MMOs) but it still remains to be seen if it will actually succeed. I expect it will be "the next big thing" since it has all the elements for that kind of success, but at the same time thereis some cause for concern in what we're not hearing, such as what their endgame is like, and how it plans to keep people wanting to pay subscriptions for years. I mean sure, the leveling mechanics and such are important, but in the terms of a long term product all the stuff up until max level is just a glorified intro. The actual game has to start at max level, and you need to keep people playing those characters month after month. How Old Republic plans to do this has yet to be revealed. It could be either ingenius, or a matter of yet another game designer not understanding the MMO dynamic and focusing entirely on the journey.

Also EA has a second MMO in the pipe "The Secret World" seems interesting, even if not of the same quality as "Old Republic". It's being developed by Fun.com who did "Anarchy Online" and "Age Of Conan". The second which was something of a disappointment, but Anarchy Online managed to actually hold a player base for a very long time, and arguably was one of the first western games to use a "Free To Play" model when it ran into issues. It's something of a shadowy "Dark Horse" at this point, but assuming EA has their eyes on it, and has been learning the lessons from other failed projects, it might be a factor most of the big boys aren't account for yet, especially seeing as it has a fairly unique premise. Given the popularity of modern supernatural stories (Anita Blake, The Hollows series, etc...) I suspect the rather unique premise of this one gives it a potential that is being underestimated, it has yet to see much promotion so we'll see what happens. I think EA has been keeping it relatively quiet despite their logo being on what trailers are currently out there. That could very well wind up being the MMO of choice for the "Twilight" crowd and all the fanboys who have been keeping the Cthulhu mythos alive in nerd-dom.

It's not just PR. These guys are saying that a big, well-known "franchise" like Star Wars will bring more people to play MMOs, thus expanding the market. It will also expand the awareness of the general public about MMOs, more than WoW has managed to do so far.

Blizzard is in the MMO market, after all, with their "next-gen" MMO already in development.

Would this explain why Cata sucked....

Perhaps that wish it success so "Titan" (should SWTOR last that long) have a fair foe...?

cerebus23:
WoW is on a steady decline anyway, lest a bunch of people i know that have played it own every expansion, got bored of the latest a month after it came out and quit.

Blizzard has to recognize that WoWs best days are behind it ToR or no ToR, nevermind guild wars 2 that is looking pretty darn good. Both games will draw current and former wow players, will either game grab new people into the mmo world, hard to say. MMO players tend to gravitate from mmo to mmo as the years move on and i am sure many ToR players will be former SWG players and a mix of wow gw etc etc.

Whats blizzard supposed to say i hope they fail? Their next mmo is years off, so not like they got anything new to offer since wow has retread the same ground over and over thru multiple expansions.

Personal experience is not equivalent to actual fact. The only thing on PC to outsell WoW's Lich King expansion was WoW's Cataclysm expansion which came out recently. If it's on the decline, the numbers do not show it.
So basically, the only thing that can beat WoW is WoW... similar to Chuck Norris.

I would like to see TOR give it come competition and I'm sure Blizzard wouldn't mind if WoW had some competition. Blizzard has made more than enough money with WoW at this point.

The Apothecarry:

Do I get to play as a Tau, and pilot one of their various Mechs?

Jamous:

raxiv:

Jamous:

:L No worries, I did Latin at GCSE so I know lots of interesting bits and bobs about that. Very good stuff. :D

It's not known how what hand gesture the emperor did, all that's known is that it involved thumbs

OT: WoW will probably continue trucking for the next 8 years anyway, Blizzard can do what they want. It's kind of sad.

Regardless of Blizzard's actual attitude behind this, does anyone else find that, just in general, rival MMO developers behind big projects like EVE, WoW and SWTOR seem to be more laid-back and easy-going with one another than you find in other game genres?

It makes sense; if somebody decides they don't quite like TOR but want to get more involved with MMORPGs, WoW would be a sound choice.

If TRO steal some of WoW's customers permanently, they can probably start to shut down some of the servers on that thing. They need WoW not to be in the limelight so much when their next MMO comes out, so easiest thing to do is send some of their players to a different one that isn't as big or developed.

WoW and TOR are two different worlds.
One is sci fi while other is fantasy.
There is a huge difference. Also Wow has made itself a invulnerable fortress of destruction with its fanbase. The game is polished so much that you can see your own face. The UI is pretty good, the complexity is pretty awesome too. TOR would not be able to take all the 12 million people from WoW this easily.Partly because WoW has so low system requirements that my crap PC can run 10 instances of it together and some people I know play WoW because their PC cannot handle a game which requires a powerful system which is also the fact most PC developers seem to forget and make their games for the most insane system ever.

Know what would have been better PR? Saying "we support X game now go forth and aid the industry" about one of the games that ACTUALLY changed. mainly anything not revolving around hot-keys.

Where was this when they inadvertently steam rolled good titles into the dust before they had a chance to improve post-launch?

I think it is pretty easy for them to wish a rival developer "good luck" when they know that WoW is completely safe from competitors.

Still, I suppose it is nice for them to hope TOR does well anyway.

Vibhor:
WoW and TOR are two different worlds.
One is sci fi while other is fantasy.
There is a huge difference. Also Wow has made itself a invulnerable fortress of destruction with its fanbase. The game is polished so much that you can see your own face. The UI is pretty good, the complexity is pretty awesome too. TOR would not be able to take all the 12 million people from WoW this easily.Partly because WoW has so low system requirements that my crap PC can run 10 instances of it together and some people I know play WoW because their PC cannot handle a game which requires a powerful system which is also the fact most PC developers seem to forget and make their games for the most insane system ever.

I was wondering if anyone was going to pick up on the fact that the audiences for WoW and for tOR aren't going to overlap all that much-- and I imagine that there are people who aren't interested in WoW at the moment, but who will get into tOR and realize that they enjoy MMOs, and perhaps give WoW a try.

RT-Medic-with-shotgun:
Where was this when they inadvertently steam rolled good titles into the dust before they had a chance to improve post-launch?

The key word is "inadvertently". WoW did nothing, not even a promotion, to try to actively compete with Conan or WAR; in fact, I know that many WoW players tried them both-- I myself did... and guess what? Most of them (including me) went back to WoW in short order. Why? Because WoW is a superior product. Period. End of story.

Blizzard can afford to have a positive outlook about potential competition because they know that they have a well-made and highly refined product... that's the whole reason for the success their games enjoy, and the whole reason they take the 'When it's DONE' approach to releasing games.

Even if you loathe Blizzard or World of Warcraft, you should at least appreciate that they have raised the bar for the whole industry in regards to the quality of games.

That's... surprisingly classy, EA could learn a thing or two

EA never "bashed" WoW, they just compared a few features to promote the improvements in their game. Particularly the story, which is TOR's biggest focus. If EA is bashing WoW, so is ArenaNet when they promote the changes in GW2.

The Apothecarry:

That game has very little real info on it, though I'd love to see it come into the spotlight when the time comes (assuming it's any good).

HerbertTheHamster:

Jamous:

raxiv:

It's not known how what hand gesture the emperor did, all that's known is that it involved thumbs

OT: WoW will probably continue trucking for the next 8 years anyway, Blizzard can do what they want. It's kind of sad.

Very well; I stand corrected. :D

cerebus23:

Hehe, I've had the exact opposite experience. With every year that passes my rl group of friends gets more and more people to join. Adults get their parents to play, parents get their kids to play, friends get their friends to play. . .but I still don't have a damn rocket mount. Someone always beats me to it. >: (

Very few people I know have quit. Of those that do, most come back. I've started terming it 'taking a break.'

Hopefully Star Wars will draw those quitters out and make them continue their MMO addiction! Muahahahahaha.

Blizzard is awesome like this. :)

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or