Kinect Helps Surgeons Save Valuable Time

Kinect Helps Surgeons Save Valuable Time

A group of Toronto surgeons is using Kinect not to play games, but to help examine and manipulate crucial images when lives could be on the line.

In today's installment of the "Kinect is Really Useful for Everything but Playing Games" chronicles - sorry, today's second installment - surgeons at Sunnybrook Hospital in Toronto have repurposed Microsoft's special camera to allow them to manipulate medical images without ever needing to leave the Operating Room.

You see, surgery is a very delicate business. Sometimes, you need to consult your data - an MRI image, or a CT scan - to get a better look at the location of a tumor as opposed to healthy tissue, and that's just one example. Unfortunately, the area around the patient in an OR is supposed to be completely sterile. This means, that every time a doctor leaves the sterile field to check on images, he or she needs to go through a lengthy re-sterilization process that can take over twenty minutes.

According to Sunnybrook's Dr. Calvin Law, these interruptions can often add an hour to any serious surgical procedure. That's valuable time that could be better spent saving lives or working on more patients over the course of a day.

Enter the Kinect. Using Microsoft's motion-sensing peripheral, doctors can rotate and freeze images and zoom in or out - without ever leaving the sterile zone or the operating table. Not only does this eliminate delays in getting the operating team re-sterilized, said Law, it has the advantage of keeping everyone focused on the task at hand since their concentration isn't being broken. He compared it to a GPS system in a car, which allows the driver to navigate without stopping.

The idea to utilize the Kinect in surgery came from a trio of engineers - Jamie Tremaine, Greg Brigley and Matt Strickland - who worked with doctors to create command gestures that could be used in surgery without "compromising" the procedures. Presumably this means that the command for "zoom in" isn't a sharp, downward stabbing motion with scalpel in hand.

Kinect has been successfully used in six surgeries thus far, said Law, and Sunnybrook plans to expand its use to other parts of the hospital.

(Winnipeg Free Press, via Edge)

Nifty.

EDIT: Oh right, counterproductively draconian post content rules.

"I'm glad that this device, whose existence I do not support for gaming purposes due to its present limitations, has found use in another context ~10 years before it probably would have been integrated into such contexts otherwise."

Now if only they could make some decent games for it.

Hell it probably put them in the hospital in the first place: They walked in on their children playing Kinectimals (sp?), took one look at the screen and had a heart attack.

That is simply awesome. Glad to see the tech is useful for something. Gaming though.. i don't know

I like how the kinect is so very useful except for the one thing it was created for. It is sooooooo cool....except in gameing. I really want t see this tech fully realized.

Looks like Microsoft really "pulled a Homer" with the Kinect.

It's like we're all cavemen, and a guy brings in a stick saying, "Hey guys, look at this." and starts waving it around like a lightsaber. Then everybody gets sticks and starts using them to make shovels and table legs, spears, and ladders.

Oh well, success in spite of lack of foresight is still success, I guess.

Called it- Kinect should have totally been marketed towards Engineers instead of children.
Doctor, I am the better man!

HankMan:

Lucien Pyrus:
That is simply awesome. Glad to see the tech is useful for something. Gaming though.. i don't know

EHKOS:
I like how the kinect is so very useful except for the one thing it was created for. It is sooooooo cool....except in gameing.

I dunno about you guys, but I really liked the Child of Eden trailer.   :)

People have been hacking the Kinect left, right and centre recently and all for awesome reasons.

When the guys at Microsoft were developing Kinect, did it ever occur to them, what it is that they're actually building? They thought it's a gaming device but I can't name any game that's made for the Kinect except Kinectimals but I could name quite a lot of hacks that have been made for it.

Lucien Pyrus:
That is simply awesome.

Truer words haven't been spoken around me recently. I think its brilliant. Who knows....maybe this is one way forward for Medicine...I'd love to see what comes next.

This sounds really similar to this 'ere, only real and practical.

So when are they actually going to make good games for the Kinect?

I think they really went the wrong way with this. Once Microsoft realised what they had on their hands they shouldn't have marketed it as a gaming peripheral but as a multipurpose hands free interface, which it basically is, and had the 'oh and it can game' thing as a secondary marketing objective. They would probably have made a lot more money.

Apparently, 1994 istayst, according to Captcha. Good to know.

Reading this grasping fluff killed valuable time.

HankMan:

Hell it probably put them in the hospital in the first place: They walked in on their children playing Kinectimals (sp?), took one look at the screen and had a heart attack.

Natal game developers should film at hospitals and operations and make a "adult" Natal version of the Wii game Traume Center using live footage from hospital/operations :3

SaintWaldo:

Wow, you're a huge tool. Congratulations!

On topic: This is actually really interesting. Microsoft should have marketed Kinect as a general hands-free input device from the start, since it's a failure as a gaming peripheral.

Beryl77:
When the guys at Microsoft were developing Kinect, did it ever occur to them, what it is that they're actually building? They thought it's a gaming device but I can't name any game that's made for the Kinect except Kinectimals but I could name quite a lot of hacks that have been made for it.

MelasZepheos:
So when are they actually going to make good games for the Kinect?

I think they really went the wrong way with this. Once Microsoft realised what they had on their hands they shouldn't have marketed it as a gaming peripheral but as a multipurpose hands free interface, which it basically is, and had the 'oh and it can game' thing as a secondary marketing objective. They would probably have made a lot more money.

Apparently, 1994 istayst, according to Captcha. Good to know.

I think they started as a gaming project, realised what they had and decided to do a little field testing. think about it, name one piece of expensive, useless junk gamers haven't bought at some time over the past few decades because they thought it would make games better.

They knew we'd buy it, this let them see how it works and also opens up the innovation from the hackers who can then be hired to make things that have other uses. These uses get newslines like the OP and ordinary people who would never have bought a gaming peripheral begin to think how cool it would be to have something like this at home; Giving microsoft a decent sized market to begin selling the 'refined' kinect to.

They sold it to the people they knew would buy it to allow them to build a hype and get people ready for when it jumps from gaming into everyday use.

Y'know I really need a Kinect now, I really don't want to use them in any game at all, but all the other stuff seems so cool!

Holy damn. It seems like the future of Kinect isn't in gaming at all but in plethora of other sections/areas.

Microsoft got a killer device on their hands and possible alot of revenue if people adopt the Kinect.

Can't wait until they make actual games for the kinect a hardcore gamer wouldn't be ashamed to play, but in the meantime, this is just as good, if not better

Raiyan 1.0:

HankMan:

Lucien Pyrus:

EHKOS:
I like how the kinect is so very useful except for the one thing it was created for. It is sooooooo cool....except in gameing.

I dunno about you guys, but I really liked the Child of Eden trailer.   :)

I saw it at PAX East and it had that creepy sexual vibe that too many Japanese games seem to have, I kept seeing a a giant flower blossoming and an orgasming Asian naked lady pop out of it on a huge twelve foot wide projection screen. You could say you see a lot of strange things at a PAX East convention, you could say you can see a lot of strange Japanese games, I guess you can say that you you see a lot strange Japanese games at a PAX East convention.

Y'know, selling these things at a profit instead of using them as a loss leader was the smartest thing Microsoft ever did.

As always when I read a story like this, I am amazed at what people can come up with to use some of these peripherals for. Although, I do wonder, if this is such a common occurrence during surgery and such a potential waste of time when someones life could be on the line, why didn't someone come up with something before now? I mean, even a simple voice command interface program could have been set up to allow doctors to view these scans on a monitor placed out of the way but within view of the operating table. Then again, I'm not an engineer, so maybe there are more problems with this idea than I am aware of. Anyways, kudos to the guys who figured this out.

JerrytheBullfrog:

SaintWaldo:

On topic: This is actually really interesting. Microsoft should have marketed Kinect as a general hands-free input device from the start, since it's a failure as a gaming peripheral.

Wow, your opinions on both topics are equally useless. Neat trick.

SaintWaldo:

JerrytheBullfrog:

SaintWaldo:

Wow, your opinions on both topics are equally useless. Neat trick.

Aw, you're adorable, Junior. Keep being a dick with worthless opinions.

If you can't see how this is potentially useful, you're blind.

do people who bought a kinect when it was released or got one for Christmas actually use those things, except to hack it and turn it into something awesome

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.