Large Hadron Collider Could Be World's First Time Machine

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Large Hadron Collider Could Be World's First Time Machine

Zip up that bubble jacket and get your hoverboard ready: The world's first time machine might already be in operation.

A new theory from physics experts Tom Weiler and Chui Man Ho of Vanderbilt University says that the Large Hadron Collider, the biggest atom smasher in the world, could also be a time machine. If the LHC is able to discover the elusive Higgs boson particle, which supposedly determines how objects acquire mass, the theory predicts that it'll also discover a time-traveling particle called the Higgs singlet.

The Higgs singlet might be able to travel forward and backward through time by jumping to a 5th dimension. Sadly, even with the LHC humans probably won't be able to travel to the past or future along with the Higgs singlet, but Weiler says we could potentially send messages.

A Vanderbilt press release says that if researchers monitoring the LHC discover Higgs singlet particles that appear simultaneously with their decay products, Weiler and Ho believe that they "will have been produced by particles that travel back in time to appear before the collisions that produced them." This becomes possible because while the basic elements of the universe are stuck to a theoretical four-dimensional membrane called the "bulk," and therefore cannot travel to other dimensions, particles like the Higgs singlet are not.

Weiler describes the theory as a "long shot," but believes it's possible because it doesn't violate any laws of physics and "avoids all the big paradoxes." While humanity may never get an actual time machine, just having a time "mailbox" might not be so bad, as long as we can keep it free of spam.

Source: Vanderbilt U

Part of me doesn't like the sound of this. Personally I'd rather leave time travel to The Doctor.

At least we're not gonna send anyone through it to mess up history.

What message would I send myself to the past...?

"Invest in ring pops!"

I believe that if it worked, it would already have happened. Either that or tear the universe.

Science: Continually striving to DOOM US ALL.

A simple message is enough to mess it up!

I thought this was really old news? Unless this is a new time travelling Hadron theory...

AmrasCalmacil:
Part of me doesn't like the sound of this. Personally I'd rather leave time travel to The Doctor.

At least we're not gonna send anyone through it to mess up history.

sending anything can get the same result ....
if i send a message to say 1937 and tell them .. kill this Hitler fellow , hes a douche in the making. the entire earth will change.

time travel is just a big ass paradox , also if this is a potential time machine in Theory the fact that we have no messages from the future at this very moment proves we dont invent a time machine ever...

When they get this working, let me know. I got a message I want to send to the Wright Brothers.

If I could send a message to myself in the past it would probably be along the lines of, "Masturbate more, play less video games"

If they can send a message then wouldn't they need the equipment necessary to read it?...in that case that means the LHC of the future can send back messages to itself and that means that maybe the future has been waiting for us to invent the way to receive the messages?

it will only be able to send messages to the future if this works and in the future where they receive the message they will already know if it works. unless i totally misunderstood the article. . .

Wait....

Does this mean it failed?
Because this thing is going to be turned on in the future, ergo we're currently in it's past and we haven't had any messages yet.

If we ever invent time travel, we'd know before we'd invent it. Cause we'd go back in time.
All in all, the big question remains, where the hell did the Song of Storms came from?!

It seems people think we'll be able to send messages back in time with this particle...
That's not very likely folks.
To send a message to another time, the other time period will need some equipment to read the messages that are sent by means of Higgs singlet. We don't have that equipment yet, and we've never had it. When we invent said equipment we might start receiving messages though. We still won't be able to send messages further into the past than to the point where we invent the means to read the messages but whatever.
It would be awesome to be able to communicate with the future.
Edit: Still, doing that could create a time-paradox, so I'm not sure if it's possible.

DeadlyYellow:
I believe that if it worked, it would already have happened.

Except the people from the future don't want it to happen! Time unraveling and all that.

If I could send a message to myself in the past it would probably be along the lines of, "Masturbate less, play more video games"

A nice idea, but time travels too much of a headf**k. Even messages would probably just screw things up. First the LHC was set to possibly turn into a black hole, now this? It's more trouble than its worth. Lets put those genius scientists to work doing something useful instead, like giving a Wii game decent graphics.

They are wrong in saying that it does not have any paradoxes. If we send a message to the past, that says, "kill baby Hitler" then our time line would be forever different.

Also, as Carl Sagan once said, it is almost certain that time travel cannot exist. If time travel were possible we would have been visited by a future person already detailing how to make such a machine, or what to look out for. The same can be said about the messages. If this really is possible, then how come we haven't got messages yet? All they have to say is, ok, lets set up a camera to capture the messages in this ONE spot, forever. It will ALWAYS be in THIS spot at exactly 12 midnight from NOW ON. Then all they would have to do, is set up that camera, and wait for the future people to send a message to that spot. Tickle me retarded, but this isn't possible.

DeadlyYellow:
I believe that if it worked, it would already have happened. Either that or tear the universe.

Agreed if time travel were possible we would know becuase time travelers would be here.

If I can send a message, Hmmm no idea, probablly fuck things up though, like have one of the apostles kill Judas so Jesus never gets betrayed, it would be interesting.

Also tell people not to vote for Hitler, Bush, Thatcher and Obama.

Also I would tell myself to be more agressive when I was in school, because tealling teachers dosent do jack shit, violvnce is the answer, its just a shame I didnt think this way back then and put up with things.

Right. But to send messages, you need a measuring device; a reciever. With it, there needs to be a regulation, so that messages sent can be decoded and understood properly.

I would shit myself if the first message that comes in is "S.O.S.".

Not quite sure what they're planning on doing with this, even if the particles can time travel, how are you going to harness that?

Electrons can teleport, that doesn't mean that we've been able to build our Star Trek teleporter. :D

It is interesting, though. Good old science for science's sake! Too little of that these days.

Tom Goldman:
Weiler describes the theory as a "long shot," but believes it's possible because it doesn't violate any laws of physics and "avoids all the big paradoxes." While humanity may never get an actual time machine, just having a time "mailbox" might not be so bad, as long as we can keep it free of spam.

Doesn't violate any laws of physics? What about causality?

People crying butterfly effect are operating on the theory that time is linear.

Time is just a theory, and there are many theories as to how it acts or if it exists at all. So I guess this is possible, albeit kind of ridiculous.

It seems like the LHC is just a shiny toy people say "it COULD do this!" Then somehow fail to prove it. It hasn't even done its intended job yet.

I think technically it could already be seen as a time machine. One way of course. Since time is relative at the speeds they accelerate particles to they're traveling in time since time to them would slow down. It's like that theory about the really fast space ship travelling at 99% the speed of light for ten years. By the time it came back it'd be something like a hundred years in the future and the people on board would have only aged ten.

My money on Higgs singlet hitting Nostradamus right in the face. :D

Shiftysnowdog:
They are wrong in saying that it does not have any paradoxes. If we send a message to the past, that says, "kill baby Hitler" then our time line would be forever different.

Also, as Carl Sagan once said, it is almost certain that time travel cannot exist. If time travel were possible we would have been visited by a future person already detailing how to make such a machine, or what to look out for. The same can be said about the messages. If this really is possible, then how come we haven't got messages yet? All they have to say is, ok, lets set up a camera to capture the messages in this ONE spot, forever. It will ALWAYS be in THIS spot at exactly 12 midnight from NOW ON. Then all they would have to do, is set up that camera, and wait for the future people to send a message to that spot. Tickle me retarded, but this isn't possible.

This line of thinking.

1. Something bad happened.
2. People go back to warn us.
3. Bad thing never happened.
4. People didn't need to go back.
5. Bad thing happened again.

See the circle?

Verlander:
I thought this was really old news? Unless this is a new time travelling Hadron theory...

Yes, it's all been said, and debunked before.

A simple message? Like next weeks Euromillions numbers...come on future me, get present me that message!

SomEngangVar:
I think technically it could already be seen as a time machine. One way of course. Since time is relative at the speeds they accelerate particles to they're traveling in time since time to them would slow down. It's like that theory about the really fast space ship travelling at 99% the speed of light for ten years. By the time it came back it'd be something like a hundred years in the future and the people on board would have only aged ten.

Yes. They actually sent an atomic clock on a space ship one time and measured the difference between the time that was given by that atomic clock and one that remained stationary during that time. There was a difference of one billionth of a second, but there was a difference. Relativity theory still holds (see: time dilation).

How about this...They have sent a message from the future, but we haven't found it yet? :o

It's in the clouds!

Personally, I'm very sceptical about time travel and it comes down to "I'll believe it when I see it" If that is at all possible.

For some reason the picture made me think of the inside of bumble bee's gun from the transformers movies, looks kinda like that.

Anyone else think that the theory may have been sent from the future?

this isnt my name:

DeadlyYellow:

Agreed if time travel were possible we would know becuase time travelers would be here.

If I can send a message, Hmmm no idea, probablly fuck things up though, like have one of the apostles kill Judas so Jesus never gets betrayed, it would be interesting.

Also tell people not to vote for Hitler, Bush, Thatcher and Obama.

Also I would tell myself to be more agressive when I was in school, because tealling teachers dosent do jack shit, violvnce is the answer, its just a shame I didnt think this way back then and put up with things.

Eugh. And how would 1941 POSSIBLY understand a message sent with an undetectable partical? Only since recognised and not even PRODUCED yet with a piece of experimental technology. You CANNOT send messages further back than the SECOND we have a system to actually understand the messages.

We discussed the idea of time travel in a phillosophy lecture a while back, most of agreed that you could travel forward in time (By moving really really fast) but you couldn't go back in time, that you instead move sideways in time to a parallel universe that is created when you attempt to travel back in time. So you could do the whole "Go back and kill Hitler" thing, but it wouldn't affect our world.

I think we're looking at this on a bigger level than we should. These are atoms. So of course Time travel isn't something they're saying is possible for huge masses of atoms like us, but what if the scientists could communicate with themselves?

What I mean by this is just what was said in the article; making it a mailbox. What if they found a way to send a message on a particle back in time. The people who sent it to themselves in the past could then read the message that has answers to hangups on their project that took their future selves vast amounts of time to decipher while working on the LHC.

So they send themselves this solution and that part of the project is completed sooner, and the past scientist develop the theory from the article sooner. See where I'm going with this?

Efficiency increases that stack over "time". What merit this could have I don't know but it's an interesting idea none the less.

Time travel huh? If I could get my hands on a that LHC I would send a message to myselft to that the winning lottery number is.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here