Sony's "PSP Phone" Ads Rival Kevin Butler on Hilarity Scale

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Sony's "PSP Phone" Ads Rival Kevin Butler on Hilarity Scale

After years of rumors, Sony finally pops open its ad campaign for the Xperia Play starring Kristen Schaal from Flight of the Conchords.

We've heard leaks from executives and bungled reveals from Chinese gadget bloggers but it now seems that Sony's telcom partner Ericsson is ready to throw down the gauntlet with its Xperia Play. It's a smartphone with a 4 inch screen, plus all the apps and Google Android goodness you could ever want, but the twist that each of these ads shows off is the slide-out panel with a d-pad and Sony's familiar button scheme. But it's really the new spokeswoman that sells it. Kristen Schaal has been a comedienne in New York for a long time and been seen in small parts on TV and in movies before finally getting some recognition as the superfan in HBO's Flight of the Conchords. As the pitchwoman for the Xperia Play, she really shines.

I wouldn't ordinarily drop in five ads for a product into a post, but these stand out as excellent specimens. Sony is no stranger to the value of quirky, nonsensical and over-the-top advertisements (see Kevin Butler), but I think they really hit a home run here with Schaal's promos for the Xperia Play. You could tell that she was given at least partial creative control because each one utilizes her comedic strengths, but that's not even what impresses me the most. I guess after seeing the utter fail that EA or Take Two have of treating woman and gamers as unintelligent horny 13 year old kids, its refreshing to honestly laugh at a pitch from a funny female comedian for a phone with some mobile gaming capability.

I was thinking about buying a 3DS, and worrying that my Palm Pre getting old, and these ads at least made me consider waiting to purchase an Xperia Play. I call that a win.

I WANT! Really nothing I need, just want, want, want!

Yup, I've been interested in this phone before it even had a name, but now I'm beyond just interested. Good-bye Torch, hello Xperia!

"Now lets blow some shit up."

well much like old spice, I am simply buying this product because of the comercials.

My oh my, those were pretty freaking epic, I've gotta give them due respect for this one. Someone in Sony's AD department is a freaking genius.

Not funnier than Kevin Butler ads. They are pretty funny compared to most other ads though.

And now i cross my fingers and pray the dark gods let me sign this phone on with bell...

Ok. That was awesome. But not quite as funny as KB. Nothing beats KB. Also, "Now let's blow some shit up!" belongs on a t-shirt.

Bravo Sony you're actually doing an ad campaign right from right out the gate still no way i'm getting one but still good job

I recognize her from The Daily Show. Good choice for the adds.

Wow...just wow.

... I want the approximately 4 minutes of my life I just wasted watching those back. That lady was almost as bad as Marcus from the PSP commercials. They should have just asked SCE if they could borrow Kevin Butler outright: those are really the only decent commercials Sony has ever put out there (and even then, they taint them with that "It only does everything" lie at the end of every single one).

I don't think that's an AK47...

mjc0961:
... I want the approximately 4 minutes of my life I just wasted watching those back. That lady was almost as bad as Marcus from the PSP commercials. They should have just asked SCE if they could borrow Kevin Butler outright: those are really the only decent commercials Sony has ever put out there (and even then, they taint them with that "It only does everything" lie at the end of every single one).

Sounds like someone tried playing against themselves on a normal smart phone...

lol I'm just trying to get over the fact that they got a chick with a lisp to do the commercials for a product called the "Ericsson Xperia". That's just mean, man! XD

That looks more like an M240B than an AK47....

Anyway. I like her, she reminds me a bit of the Progressive commercials lady in terms of quirkiness.

And now for her and KB to both do an advert and then the world will explode in the flames of awesome...And all will be good and on fire.

Meh.

Unfunny, dull, she's ugly, editors should get fired, arguments are invalid.

I have no desire for any hand held gaming.... but what I do want, is more commercials for it!

that is one big ass ak 47 o.0

LOL
She really knows how to sell crazey.
I wanna watch Flight of the Conchords now...

theriddlen:
she's ugly

What does that have to do with it?

Considering the pathetic 3DS battery life and the fact that i need a phone, these ads have genuinely interested me. Now let's blow some shit up.

drisky:

theriddlen:
she's ugly

What does that have to do with it?

Well, i don't know how about you, but i prefer looking at good looking ladies.

DeadlyYellow:
I don't think that's an AK47...

Clearly she's never strafed before...

I shall pass and get the evo 3D dual core 1.2qualcomm processor, 1gb ram, and 3d screen ftw.

Kristen Schaal, god yes. These ads are actually pretty funny, especially the last one.

First was the best but the others were fun. Now I won't name names but some companies should look at these ads before they make another we scare your mom ads.

... is anyone else thinking that the children of Kristen and Kevin would be the stuff of gods?

For some reason the last "I'm on youtube" one sounds really cute... XD

Wow, good job guys. I am kind of surprised they didn't pull in KB on this one though, but still brilliant. As awesome as these ads are though, unless they bring full PSN support, I'm not getting one of these. Last I heard, you won't be able to put any already purchased games on this thing, and I already have a go, so that's kind of a deal breaker for me. But I hope it's a solid product.

theriddlen:
she's ugly, [...], arguments are invalid.

You, uh, you do mean your arguments... Right?

Naw, all tossers aside, these are great commercials. Not quite at the level of KB, but really, what is?

I really want one of these. My phone is showing its age, and I have yet to try out the Android OS, which I hear is vastly superior to the iOS. Unfortunately, from what I've been hearing, the Xperia Play will start somewhere between $700 and $800. So I'll definitely have to wait until my current contract is up in order to buy it with the 2-year contract discount. And even then, I assume it will still run me at least $300.

Oh, and brilliant ads. She was greta in Flight, and usually pretty funny on the Daily Show.

I probably won't get one but these commercials are freakin' hilarious!

Well, at least it looks like it'll be actually useful, not like the N-Gage.

I just hope that it can play PSP games, or PS1 games for that matter and I mean real support for it, not via crappy emulation.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I've got to blow some shit up.

WTH, these are hilarious!

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or