L4D Fans Reprogram Road Signs to "Zombies Ahead"

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

L4D Fans Reprogram Road Signs to "Zombies Ahead"

A gang of ne'er-do-wells in South Carolina hacked a pair of electronic road signs in the early hours of Sunday morning, reprogramming them to warn travelers to be prepared to stop for zombies.

Those big, portable electronic signs that warn drivers about construction or other looming road hazards are a familiar sign to most travelers but the message flashing at drivers in Lancaster County, South Carolina on Sunday morning was a little unusual, to say the least. Instead of being warned about reduced speeds or workers on the road, Sunday morning commuters were told to watch out for "Zombies Ahead."

The signs were put up to warn drivers about a road paving project scheduled to start on March 27 but somebody - Left 4 Dead fans, to be precise - got into them and changed their messages. How it was done is still a mystery; Lancaster County construction engineer Ken Wilson said, "It's my understanding that they would need a key to get into the box and a certain code to change the wording."

Wilson and others on the project said they've never seen anything like this before, but fortunately they appeared to take it all in stride. The contractor handling the road work sent someone to reprogram the signs but didn't bother contacting police. "The message could have been a lot worse than it was," Wilson said. "In my opinion, it was a prank. They could have put something more sinister, something causing more panic."

And how do we know the job was done by Left 4 Dead fans? The "Zombies Ahead" warning rotated to "Watch for Hunters," while the second sign read, "Be alert for Tanks."

Source: Herald Online, via Kotaku

That is funny.

Although imagine going down that road at night. Tell me I wouldn't be the only one turning my radio to national news lol.

Wasn't this already done years ago?

Maybe we should be more concerned that everyone ignored the zombie warning and went ahead anyway. This kind of behavior is exactly why a zombie apocalypse would get so bad, because no one one listen until it was too late.

The "Be alert for tanks" one could have causes some panic among some people. But this is amusing none the less.

Damn.
That would have really freaked me out.
Guess I watch too many Horror Movies.

This gets done a lot in actual fact, a quick Google search will give you all you need to know on how to accomplish it yourself as well :/

i only live 45 minutes away from this!

Andy Chalk:
How it was done is still a mystery; Lancaster County construction engineer Ken Wilson said, "It's my understanding that they would need a key to get into the box and a certain code to change the wording."

It's beyond simple to do this. There is a manufacturer's password to change the sign that is rarely changed, and even if it is there is procedure to reset the signs so that the password is returned to the default. They can lock the enclosure, but you hardly even find a lock on them.

Nobody built these things with security in mind. About the only thing they can do is start throwing keyed locks on the boxes.

fare777:

I was really surprised to find this wasn't a necro of the "Run Zombies" one from years ago.

Eri:
Maybe we should be more concerned that everyone ignored the zombie warning and went ahead anyway. This kind of behavior is exactly why a zombie apocalypse would get so bad, because no one one listen until it was too late.

they are the people you want to die in the start of the zombie apocalypse, you dont want idiots in your party do you?

ps. wtf is with this fucking captcha! I had to refresh it 10+ times before it gave me something i could read

Seen pictures of this sort of thing before L4D was released.

I'd have made it say "It is dark, you are likely to be eaten by a Grue...".

It'd only work at night, yeah, but still.

Quite hilarious indeed. And i think i would actually worry for a minute that i missed some sort of important zombie-apocalypse and the government's already putting this stuff up...
And also, L4D, for the win. Great game.

Andy Chalk:

Wilson and others on the project said they've never seen anything like this before, but fortunately they appeared to take it all in stride. The contractor handling the road work sent someone to reprogram the signs but didn't bother contacting police. "The message could have been a lot worse than it was," Wilson said. "In my opinion, it was a prank. They could have put something more sinister, something causing more panic."

I gotta give the contractor points for not freaking out and demanding someone be sued over this.

A harmless enough prank that was easily remedied. Have a chuckle and move on with your day.

Old prank, new year.
Good fun in any case.

fare777:

this is done almost every time there are the caution signs up.

hell, one was "THE RED COATS ARE COMING, RUN!"

This is pretty standard for things Hacked IRL.

Bretty:
That is funny.

Although imagine going down that road at night. Tell me I wouldn't be the only one turning my radio to national news lol.

Nope, you're not the only one. In fact, if I don't hear anything on the national radio, I would come to the conclusion that the government is obviously trying to do a cover up.

Hell, come to think of it, those guys might be onto something... I better go stockpile medikits and ammo.

Hate to say it but its not funny the second time around.

And heres me wondering how many people seriously believed the signs.

Anyway its been done before.

fare777:

Earlier this year actually. I live in West Chester which is like 10 min from Lancaster and i saw the signs. I laughed of course and funny thing was i actually saw some people turn around.

Something like this happned in Austin, Texas and possibly other places some years ago. They should've been more creative, something about Graboids (of "Tremors" fame) or some other pop culture reference.

This was done in Texas in 2009. The people involved got in trouble. Whatever, still awesome as long as no one was hurt and there wasn't an important message being subverted.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,484326,00.html

Bretty:
That is funny.

You wouldn't.

Tell me i wouldn't be the only one grabbing the shotgun from the trunk and keeping it closer on the front seat.

Hahaha, I think that is brilliant. But what I don't get is why and how would you have the time to do all that if their was a zombie apocalypses??

Irridium:
I'd have made it say "It is dark, you are likely to be eaten by a Grue...".

It'd only work at night, yeah, but still.

Nah, that's one you set up at a tunnel entrance.

My money said it was the construction boys in the first place. Like they said, you need a key and a code, my guess is one of them was a gamer.
Face it, if you're doing that job, where's the harm in a little fun?

"be alert for tanks" could easily be a proper notice. I was driving a couple years back to a cottage and after warnings from a couple of soldiers on the small road, eleven tanks rolled from where I was going.

A) Been done a million times. Even here in Austin.

B) If I ever saw that, and had no previous knowledge of how easy this is, I would prolly floor it to the nearest gun store, drive through the front, and start loading up, screaming for everyone to panic.

Bretty:
That is funny.

I would be xD
Funny stuff, that is

fare777:

I'm pretty sure it was as I know for a fact I've seen that picture somewhere, possibly in another news post here about the earlier instance of the prank. Actually no, I think it was on Cracked in one of their "X number of pictures you won't believe aren't photoshopped" articles.

this aint no prank! it's a DRILL!

Already done by Nazi Zombie fans.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eUZJ4pcFSk

Only thing missing was "Don't startle the witch" sign

thank god the construction people took it so casually. imagine the negative publicity for gamers if they'd called the cops.

This just made my day.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or