Toys R Us Offers "Buy One, Get One 50% Off" 3DS Game Sale

Toys R Us Offers "Buy One, Get One 50% Off" 3DS Game Sale

If you're planning to get a 3DS and some games on launch day but aren't sure where to go shopping, Toys R Us has a pretty tempting offer.

This Sunday is going to be a big day for game retailers, thanks to the fact that Nintendo is launching the 3DS. There are, undoubtedly, going to be a a number of bundle deals, but Toys R Us has announced a pretty good launch day bargain: a "buy one, get one half off" deal that will apply to all 3DS games.

The deal is only going to be available on Sunday, and many stores will feature 3DS demos on Sunday from 12-3 PM that day. On top of all this, Toys R Us has announced that it's offering up to $75 in credit to people who trade in their DS hardware towards a 3DS.

Toys R Us's deal sounds like a pretty good one, overall, provided you've got around $350 in spare change to throw around. I, on the other hand, am going to have to wait on that transaction, seeing as how I've got rent to pay.

Source: Joystiq

I too must wait, between rent and needing to finish my graduate thesis. URK

Toys R Us is still in business? They closed the one near me and I had thought they'd have died out by now.

Nintendo means business. A tempting offer indeed.

Two 3DS's for $350? Less if you trade in your old DS for $75?! This is how Nintendo has such a strong built in install base: That's a Black Friday, MUST BUY offer. I'll be sleeping outside my local freaking toys r us for that. Then, during the ensuing inevitable shortage, I'm going sell that extra 3DS (assuming that the technology isn't shoddy and plagued with failures and hardware meltdowns within the first few months, and if I don't suddenly go blind from having my eyes melted) for a nice, tasty fat premium.

<thinks back and reminisces of the good ol days when a Nintendo Wii was worth more than a human life...>

Ah, Greed. It makes me warm at night.

Toys'R'Us usually has some great game deals. And this is one of them.

HyenaThePirate:
Two 3DS's for $350? Less if you trade in your old DS for $75?! This is how Nintendo has such a strong built in install base: That's a Black Friday, MUST BUY offer. I'll be sleeping outside my local freaking toys r us for that. Then, during the ensuing inevitable shortage, I'm going sell that extra 3DS (assuming that the technology isn't shoddy and plagued with failures and hardware meltdowns within the first few months, and if I don't suddenly go blind from having my eyes melted) for a nice, tasty fat premium.

<thinks back and reminisces of the good ol days when a Nintendo Wii was worth more than a human life...>

Hate to burst your bubble, but the article says buy one get 1/2 for the games.

So basically you get 25% off if you buy two 3DS games.

That's a good deal, obviously.

dang you and your temping offers

I'll skip this deal... because there aren't two 3DS games I want. That's not to say the launch games are bad, they're just not my type of thing. I mainly play RPGs, Zelda, Harvest Moon, and a few puzzle games. I only pre-ordered it because I knew the trade-in value of my DSi would drop like a rock once the 3DS comes out. With my self-control, I'd be getting it before the year's over anyway because of:
1. potential cool games coming later,
2. eventual streaming 3D Netflix, and
3. classic gameboy games eventually downloadable.

bladester1:

HyenaThePirate:

Hate to burst your bubble, but the article says buy one get 1/2 for the games.

Bubble bursted.
I think... I think I'll go /wrists now...

This better be legit because I just cancelled both of my preorders for 3DS games.

I'm going to pick up Nintendogs Plus Cats for the girl and Street Fighter for me.

I too must wait, because there are no 3DS games worth my money coming out at launch, so I'm not going to buy one and get a second half off when I don't want any of them.

I mean the only thing that slightly interests me is Bust-a-Move Universe, but when it's developed by Arika and not Taito and then published by Square Enix, that is not something I'm going to rush out and buy. I'll wait for reviews and if the game isn't terrible, I'll wait some more so I can get it cheaper just in case (I remember when reviews said Sonic Rush was a good game and so I bought it and found myself playing a game that was almost as bad as Bubsy 3D).

Christ, I hope they don't release the next Pokemon games on the 3DS. I'd hate to have to buy the frigging thing.

But... but... I only own like 7 ds games. Will the new one have anything thats... you know, good? I so badly want Megaman legends 3, but... I think i'll have to wait and see some reviews.

Granted, if they're publishing pokemon for it, like they have for all the nintendo games in the past... yeah, fine I'll get a 3ds, but I'm not going to be thrilled. Maybe.

Desert Tiger:
Christ, I hope they don't release the next Pokemon games on the 3DS. I'd hate to have to buy the frigging thing.

Count on it. Black and White *will* be the swan song for Pokemon on the DS.
In fact, the DS probably has about one more year of anything relevant (or first party support).
Well, Toys R Us obviously doesn't care if they take a "loss" on the games; the launch lineup is total shit.

Maybe I need to buy the games there, and then wait for a paycheck or two to buy my own 3DS. My brothers are getting theirs on launch day, and unlike them, I have bills to pay.

I misread at first, and thought it applied to the handhelds themselves. If it did, would've run out and gotten two for my partner and I ASAP.

So, you could buy two games, e-Bay the other one at 75% of its retail price (a good deal any which way), and thus get your keeper game at 25%?

Rubberbandninja:
snip

Massive downside is apparently the battery life is a whopping 4.5hours.

Not a great deal really the launch titles are just abysmal.

I would take advantage of this if I was going to buy a 3DS game, I'm actually planning on buying the system and not a single game.

lobster1077:
Not a great deal really the launch titles are just abysmal.

No shit, I can't believe I'm buying a 3DS and no games, but what else am I supposed to do?

HellspawnCandy:

Rubberbandninja:
snip

I've heard less

Still haven't decided if I'm buying this ting or not. I've not seen any confirmation on whether it'll play DS games, and I doubt we'll be seeing a new Pokemon anytime soon, so...Not in rush mode yet.

danpascooch:

HellspawnCandy:

Rubberbandninja:
snip

I've heard less

With most of the settings off/turned down. It's basically an iPod touch.

BabyRaptor:
Still haven't decided if I'm buying this ting or not. I've not seen any confirmation on whether it'll play DS games, and I doubt we'll be seeing a new Pokemon anytime soon, so...Not in rush mode yet.

I believe it said it was backwards compatible. Not 100% sure on this though.

At first I thought it meant two systems which I thought a bit silly. But Now realizing it is the games I think it's a great deal. Now if only I had a job to fund a 3DS...

HellspawnCandy:

danpascooch:

HellspawnCandy:

I've heard less

I've heard that with sound off and wireless off, it'll net you 4-5 hours.

danpascooch:

HellspawnCandy:

danpascooch:

I've heard less

Not even, gotta turn down brightness and 3D modes too. It's pretty insane, I'm not sure what's gonna happen but most definitely a new 3DS with better battery soon.

HellspawnCandy:

danpascooch:

HellspawnCandy:

Not even, gotta turn down brightness and 3D modes too. It's pretty insane, I'm not sure what's gonna happen but most definitely a new 3DS with better battery soon.

Turning off 3D doesn't increase battery life, remember, the 3D is generated by the plastic barrier, it's displaying the same number of pixels and there is no special 3D rendering software that eats battery or anything, so it doesn't make a difference.

Luckily I hear you get like 9 hours when playing original DS games, I guess the 3DS ones are just more processor heavy.

danpascooch:

HellspawnCandy:

danpascooch:

Turning off 3D doesn't increase battery life, remember, the 3D is generated by the plastic barrier, it's displaying the same number of pixels and there is no special 3D rendering software that eats battery or anything, so it doesn't make a difference.

Luckily I hear you get like 9 hours when playing original DS games, I guess the 3DS ones are just more processor heavy.

It's not a plastic barrier, it uses two different sets of lights basically that each eye picks up I'm really not sure where you got that because even Nintendo says the 3D mode drains battery life. And thus the great quote pyramid is born. Night.

I hope this isn't America only. I pre-ordered my 3DS from Toys R Us in the UK (used to work there so staff discount) so I hope they'll give me 2 for £45.

Although they already asked if I wanted a new job there so they gave me that XD

HellspawnCandy:

danpascooch:

HellspawnCandy:

It's not a plastic barrier, it uses two different sets of lights basically that each eye picks up I'm really not sure where you got that because even Nintendo says the 3D mode drains battery life. And thus the great quote pyramid is born. Night.

There are various theories out there that disabling the main screen's 3D mode results in greater battery life, but we didn't find that to be the case, so play with as many dimensions enabled as you like.

That came from Engadgets extensive hands on review: http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/21/nintendo-3ds-review/

Also, I'm sorry to say you're wrong about how the 3D works too, it uses a "Parralax Barrier" system that is a sheet of material with precisely angled slits that allow each eye to see different columns of pixels, I guess one COULD say it uses lights, but only in the sense that it uses normal pixels just like any other normal screen. The only difference between 3D and 2D is that the barrier shifts to give viewing angles that show only certain columns to certain eyes, and those columns change to show different images to make 3D

In short, since the barrier itself obviously does not consume electricity, the only difference between 2D and 3D is what the pixels on the screen are displaying, it doesn't do anything additional, it just changes what is shown on the same screen, so it does not consume more battery life. For more info on Parralax barrier, here is an article excerpt:

A parallax barrier is one of the more popular ways for swinging 3D without glasses-you see it in Sharp TVs for instance. It actually works a lot like polarized glasses, it just moves where the obstruction magic happens to the front of the TV. Instead of having glasses filter the image for each eye, the screen's parallax barrier-think of it is a very finely grated fence with precisely angled holes-directs different light into each eye, and your brain turns the mixed signals into a 3D image. The bad part? With a normal parallax barrier, the screen is permanently in 3D mode and you don't have exactly have a wide viewing angle. Sharp's trick for 3D in LCD displays is fancier-there's a second LCD that creates the parallax barrier with a polarized grid of lines, which is nice because you can turn it off and go back to regular 3D viewing.

Full size
• Integral Imaging is a form of parallax actually. You've got a bunch of supertiny micro-images that you actually peep through an array of spherical convex lenses, one per micro-image. All these micro-images come together when you look at them to form a 3D image.

(http://gizmodo.com/#!5084121/giz-explains-3d-technologies)

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here