Shed a Tear for This Classic Videogame Death Montage

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Shed a Tear for This Classic Videogame Death Montage

Watching an 8-bit sprite's life blink out has never been so emotional.

While playing older games like Asteroids or Ghosts 'n Goblins, have you ever thought that your deaths actually had meaning? There's something about this old-school videogame death montage created by Boing Boing that makes it seem like they do.

The reason is partially the choice of music, which is a chiptune version of "Mad World" by Tears for Fears (though you might know the Gary Jules version from this Gears of War commercial). If a more upbeat theme were used, the video would likely have a different feeling.

Additionally, in the context presented here, all we see are deaths. There are no life counters. No restarts. Just pure, old-school, videogame death, and that that's it.

If videogame worlds were real, and the characters got only one life, the princess would be a slave for eternity. The universe would be destroyed by a never-ending flow of asteroids. Demons would be stuck behind those barriers in Gauntlet forever while nothing but another pile of bones littered the ground.

Thank god for extra lives.

Source: Boing Boing

Jeux sans frontieres

Should have used yakkety sax.

Or is that cliche?

The video needs more Amiga games.

Wow, I think I've played all the games on the list.

The cobra man looked like he was molesting the dude with his rattle.

Started off reasonably well, but couldn't keep it going for more than 30 seconds of game deaths.

Reed Spacer:

Or is that cliche?

Rand this video and played yakkety sax in the background instead... Brilliant.

I'm kind of sad they didn't use anything from Raptor: Call of the Shadows. It had a pretty damned hardcore low health and death animation. Low health, and your jet started smoking and burning, and when you died, it went into a cutscene of your pilot trying to save the plane as it's coming apart around him, and then shows your pilot in the still burning wreckage. It was pretty hardcore. Still beats a lot of the death animations I've seen in a lot of more modern games.

Plus, it was a badass game all the way around. Great music.

Reed Spacer:

Or is that cliche?

I tried it, and it's awesome. Thank you.

Koeryn:
I'm kind of sad they didn't use anything from Raptor: Call of the Shadows. It had a pretty damned hardcore low health and death animation. Low health, and your jet started smoking and burning, and when you died, it went into a cutscene of your pilot trying to save the plane as it's coming apart around him, and then shows your pilot in the still burning wreckage. It was pretty hardcore. Still beats a lot of the death animations I've seen in a lot of more modern games.

Honestly, that wasn't nearly as intense as you made it sound XD
He wasn't trying to "save the plane". He just sat there haha

Agreed about the music though :D

Bloodstain:

Or is that cliche?

Would've been less clichéd than using Mad World.

Now, it's a perfectly nice song. But I don't ever want to hear it again.
Ever.

Tom Goldman:
Thank god for extra lives.

With the advent of regenerating health in games, even that is dying out.

so many good memories and so many nights of raging when running out of lives.

Nostalgia just kicked in...WHERE DID I LEAVE DOOM?

I highly advise you guys to try turning off the volume on the main video and playing this over it:

great montage

Thought it was a very nice montage, loved the tune they used. Of course, it helps that a lot of those games are familiar, and those deaths really evoke a sense of déjà vu...

HankMan:
Jeux sans frontieres

Adolf builds a bonfire and Enrico plays with it.

Mesmerising, I think I've played (and can name) 90% of those games.

Of course, you can make it even better this way:

Pretty good video, though I wonder if the entire point of it wasn't "games without frontiers". There are three parts at the end which I wonder whether or not is the crux of the whole video. That being said, I also wonder if there is actually a video game of Jeux Sans Frontieres. It's a pretty mellow song I think, pretty good for being so old, lol!

Tom Goldman:
If a more upbeat theme were used, the video would likely have a different feeling.

I watched the video with that song and couldn't help but laugh xD.

A good video, props to the creator.

whoa graphics SUCKED back then!
we sure have come a long way

I watched the video first, Mad World is one of my favorite songs and I didn't even realize that's what was playing.. heh

That sums up the choice in music.
O.T. Eh. I never played half of those games.

Meh, I thought it was kind of stupid, not to mention that this video is coming like 15 years too late.

While I hate the Madworld song with a passion but I have to admit the 8 bits remix is catchy.

AnythingOutstanding:
I highly advise you guys to try turning off the volume on the main video and playing this over it:

that fit so well...

A very nice montage, surprised they had Athena in there.

Jaker the Baker:

Koeryn:

Honestly, that wasn't nearly as intense as you made it sound XD
He wasn't trying to "save the plane". He just sat there haha

Agreed about the music though :D

Lol, maybe I'm reading too much into it. =p I used to play that all the time.

That was pretty good. Only thing I didn't like is that some of the deaths seemed deliberate. Probably because you didn't have time to go and play for real until you got killed.

I miss that Barbarian game beheading your opponents never got old.

I feel I should shed a tear when a death was shown in Shinobi. I know the pain.

I didn't feel sad at all maybe the chiptune was to happy?

ultimateownage:

That sums up the choice in music.
O.T. Eh. I never played half of those games.

This actually made me kinda sad, cause it just reminded me how funny and charming the first Bad Company game was and how they utterly screwed it up in the sequel.

Loved it :D

so many memories of games past :)

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook