Machinarium Studio "Not Interested" in Microsoft

Machinarium Studio "Not Interested" in Microsoft

Amanita Design says it's no longer interested in dealing with Microsoft after the software giant refused to publish the award-winning adventure Machinarium on Xbox Live Arcade because it wasn't an exclusive.

Getting on Xbox Live is kind of a priority for most small, indie studios, so it's unusual when one of them goes in the opposite direction and tells Microsoft to get bent. That's pretty much what Czech-based studio Amanita Design did, though, after Microsoft apparently turned down its offer to publish Machinarium on Xbox Live Arcade.

"We were already refused by Microsoft to bring the game to Xbox," Amanita founder and designer Jakub Dvorský told CasualGaming.biz. "They weren't interested because the game was already released for Mac and Windows, and Microsoft demanded it as part of an exclusivity deal."

So that's that, as far as Dvorský is concerned. "We're not interested in Microsoft anymore," he said.

XBLA may be out but Dvorský said PlayStation 3 and tablet versions of Machinarium are slated to come out later this year. The studio's focus will remain on the PC, however. "It's much easier if you create a game for PC and Mac," he explained. "Bringing it to consoles is a lot of hard work and a lot of hassle with companies."

Amanita's maintained a bit of a low profile since the 2009 release of the stylish Machinarium but revealed over the weekend that it has three new games in the pipe, including a third Samorost title.

Would of purchased it on Live >.> It's a wonderful game and the soundtrack is phenomenal.

I'll get the PS3 version, sure.

Wait? Didn't I get this in the HIB, too?

I never did try all of the games in those bundles. Really just played Aquaria...

I wonder if ms has something to do with the doublefine games not showing up on the pc

Straight from the horse's mouth: Microsoft, proprietor of both Windows and Xbox systems, only cares about the Xbox and will request or require publishers to abandon Windows releases to get their games on XBLA.

You go, Amanita Design. I'm with you 100% on this one. Moneygrubbing bas...

Worgen:
I wonder if ms has something to do with the doublefine games not showing up on the pc

Most likely.

That said, good for you Amanita. You got the right attitude.

Onyx Oblivion:

I never did try all of the games in those bundles. Really just played Aquaria...

Only if you bought the second bundle. Samorost 2, the previous game by Amanita Design, was in the first bundle.

I heard that Microsoft turned them down because they had a Linux version of their game, and so the developers are now getting round to telling Microsoft to GTFO.

Serious respect for Machinarium.

Worgen:

Double Fine are big enough to make their own decisions.

Microsoft generally enters into exclusivity details with very small or indie companies as they're not confident on the return, in a fair split between 360, PS3 and Mac, and one platform is getting 33% of the sales.

With very low sales to begin with that'd make even lower profits.

It's not fair and tons of amazing indie titles probably get glazed over because of this but we'll always have our PCs for those hits that Microsoft didn't want to take a gamble on.

(P.S Can someone tell me how I'm supposed to write 10 to the power of minus 5 in the captcha? Fo' srs)

Serious respect for them now, also machinarium was excellent (yay HIB)

More indie devs should be doing this, until microsoft have to accept that making everything exclusive isn't the way to go.

Microsoft is pretty much like Hitler when it comes to PC gaming. Money hungry pieces of shit is all they are.

"Getting on Xbox Live is kind of a priority for most small, indie studios, so it's unusual when one of them goes in the opposite direction and tells Microsoft to get bent"

Really? That seems like par for the course, especially as of late.

Machinarium is too hardcore for the 360 crowd.

Good for Amanita!

I'll admit playing Machinarium convinced me that I no longer enjoyed point and click puzzle games but I was still happy to play through it and the music really was great.

Props to Amanita for standing up to the Empire!

Does this mean we can see their games coming to a certain penguin-based operating system in the near future?

Shame, I wanted this game but when the chance is given to give a public middle finger, I am always down for that party.

Great sign!

My respect for Amanita just went up a notch.

lol although, I had never heard of them, nor their game.

Fuck yeah, good for them. Respect +1.

Have I mentioned that I really hate the practice of exclusives?

Stick it to the man!

And let me add my voice to the "Machinarium is awesome" chorus. Fantastic little game and yes, great soundtrack.

I've been thinking recently about importing the boxed version from the UK. Anyone know if it got a retail release in North America too?

Andy Chalk:
Stick it to the man!

And let me add my voice to the "Machinarium is awesome" chorus. Fantastic little game and yes, great soundtrack.

I've been thinking recently about importing the boxed version from the UK. Anyone know if it got a retail release in North America too?

Microsoft had no real reason to do this, it damages an amazing indie developer and keeps one of the nost well liked indie titles of the last few year off LIVE. They also spoil any chance of working with them in future. Why not say "Sure publish your game oh and here is some money to make an exclusive game to XBL"? They've proven their stuff already, acting like a dick just sours the relationship with the smaller studios. Im gessing they just want to say "X% of games are Exclusive to XBLA!!!" in their marketing (and we've all seen what their marketing thinks PC gaming should be) and if the method by with they do that is refusing non exclusive content then XBLA is a poorer place for that.

The boxed version makes my self 20% more awesome =D. I actually got the boxed version of World of Goo too, did the US get that or not?

Mad props to Amanita, I'm glad I bought Machinarium twice, it's an amazing game.

More studios need to get away from Microsoft. I'm glad Amanita told them to fuck off.

EllEzDee:
Microsoft is pretty much like Hitler when it comes to PC gaming. Money hungry pieces of shit is all they are.

I thought it would be closer to "company towns" in 19 century USA: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Company_town

As long as those guys are willing to spend the bucks to get it on XBL why the hell wouldn't MS agree to it? That doesn't make much sense.

omicron1:
Straight from the horse's mouth: Microsoft, proprietor of both Windows and Xbox systems, only cares about the Xbox and will request or require publishers to abandon Windows releases to get their games on XBLA.

You go, Amanita Design. I'm with you 100% on this one. Moneygrubbing bas...

100% agreed. Microsoft is so hypocritical about PC gaming. Until they have some sort of Xbox Live type service with a stranglehold on the PC platform that can be nickled and dimed to death, they won't give a damn about PC gaming.

i think it would have been awesome if they higher some big black guy to show up and do a video response of him just walking up to a mic and looking at the camera and saying "Eat a dick nugga" then walk away. i think microsoft is being a bunch of assholes on this one. Apparently the world can't be allowed to play it unless they have a 360 lol.

Onyx Oblivion:

I got it in the HIB and finally got around to trying it but the game wouldn't load on my Mac. I got a blank screen in Flash Player. AFAIK my Flash Player works, so I don't know what the problem is.

I want to try the game since I love puzzle platfomers (Braid, Limbo, PB Winterbottom).

Good, simple and to the point. He doesn't frolic around the bush going "Oh, well it was really fun developing for the platform, but it was really difficult to get it to the console, so we're sorry but we're not going to be going for them anymore. We do hope to continue our great situation on the PC market, so we hope you will enjoy whatever content we bring to you to whatever system you have!"

Just "Microsoft was making it difficult for us, so screw it. We'll bring it to consoles, but we'll primarily be on the PC if you need us."

Respect +2

Tiswas:

Well, isn't that quite a sweeping generalisation? Not to mention completely baseless I must say, considering the fact that the game is not being released on XBL has nothing to do with how "hardcore" the audience (as you perceive them) are and more to do with Microsofts own policy regarding this sort of thing.

Scrumpmonkey:
The boxed version makes my self 20% more awesome =D. I actually got the boxed version of World of Goo too, did the US get that or not?

I'm actually in Canada, but yes, we got it and so did I. I go for retail whenever possible, even if it means waiting; World of Goo, Trine, Braid, Plants vs. Zombies, I have them all boxed. I'm just not interested in digital.

Well... some time ago Microsoft mentioned that they are going to improve PC gaming, and now we have this! A game was rejected by Microsoft because it is not an exclusive one.

MarsProbe:

Tiswas:

Well, isn't that quite a sweeping generalisation? Not to mention completely baseless I must say, considering the fact that the game is not being released on XBL has nothing to do with how "hardcore" the audience (as you perceive them) are and more to do with Microsofts own policy regarding this sort of thing.

Dude, he said that this point-and-click adventure game is too hardcore for the XBox audience, not the other way around. He was obviously joking...

Raiyan 1.0:

Dude, he said that this point-and-click adventure game is too hardcore for the XBox audience, not the other way around. He was obviously joking...

And? That was actually the point I was picking up on. Stating that one game specifically can be deemed too "hardcore" for the entire gaming population of any format seems folly, given that it bases itself on the notion that everyone who owns that platform has exactly the same taste/preference when it comes to games.

MarsProbe:

Raiyan 1.0:

And? That was actually the point I was picking up on. Stating that one game specifically can be deemed too "hardcore" for the entire gaming population of any format seems folly, given that it bases itself on the notion that everyone who owns that platform has exactly the same taste/preference when it comes to games.

Wha...?

The attribute 'hardcore' is typically ascribed to competitive AAA games like CoD and Halo, which has a fairly large following on the XBox. On the other hand, you'll be hard-pressed to call a quaint little indie point-and-click based puzzle game 'hardcore'. And the humor lies in the ridiculousness of his assertion - he's basically stating that this puzzle game is more hardcore[1] (which it is not) than the XBox gaming demography[2] (who mostly are as evident from the competitive FPS sales on that platform).

You seriously didn't get that?

[1] I know that the notion of 'hardcore games' is silly, but I'm just working with rhetorics here.
[2] Once again, working with rhetorics - I understand the XBox has a wide demography as evident from the Kinect sales, but XBox's best-known killer app is Halo.

<double post>

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.