Crate Gives First Look at Titan Quest Follow-Up Grim Dawn

Crate Gives First Look at Titan Quest Follow-Up Grim Dawn

Crate Entertainment has released the first gameplay footage of partially fan-funded Titan Quest followup Grim Dawn.

For whatever reason, Iron Lore Studios' completely enjoyable Titan Quest didn't hit the sales mark required to keep the company in business. However, from the ashes of Iron Lore came Crate Entertainment, a new outfit dedicated to giving Titan Quest's rabid fanbase more of what it desires in the form of a new title called Grim Dawn. Crate recently offered an in-game look at what it calls a "pre-pre-pre-alpha" version of Grim Dawn, and for a game in such an early state it's already looking pretty nice.

Crate says the character featured in the video is "mostly soldier class" type. He's shown making short work of an area called the Burrwitch Slums, where he fights his way through some zombie-ish mutated things and electricity-shooting orbs using an array of skills.

Titan Quest and Diablo fans should understand exactly what they're looking at here. The character is using auras, shouts, elemental-based attacks, ranged abilities, and generally just bashing the hell out of everything with his weapon. Additionally, Crate shows off a special class skill called the canister bomb, which explodes in a small area in front of the player.

The extremely early video is Crate making good on its promise to keep fans informed on Grim Dawn's development progress. Crate is partially developing Grim Dawn with the use of funds from fans in the form of pre-orders. $20 will get the game when it comes out. $32 adds beta access, an in-game accessory, and your name in the credits. $48 awards access to the game's alpha, along with "holy reverence." If you liked Titan Quest, or enjoy hack-and-loots like Diablo and Torchlight, more details can be found on Grim Dawn's website.

THIS is what Diablo 3 should look like. Period. Shame on you, Blizzard.

Saw this a bit ago, looks quite good.

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!! I LOVED Titan Quest. :D Anyways, this looks pretty good. I hope they keep everything on a fairly similar axis, like keeping similar style HUD and gameplay, but completely change the classes, equipment abilities, story and world. That would be badass. I might just have to donate $32.

Titan Quest was pretty cool, though I never found anyone willing to play it with me. It had a nice RPG system, a good fan patch, and some amusing voice acting. Here's to hoping Grim Dawn continues the trend.

ciortas1:

Oh god, another one of the "Diablo 3 = Rainbows" arguments.

scotth266:

ciortas1:

It's not rainbows, but it's not Diablo in its aesthetics either.

ciortas1:

scotth266:

ciortas1:

It's not rainbows, but it's not Diablo in its aesthetics either.

Deciding that when we still don't have anything other than a handful of screenshots (at least, last I checked) seems premature. Games look vastly different in motion than they do in photographs, and we don't even have that many of them.

Also, Blizzard did the same thing with Starcraft 2. I was hesitant at first about the art direction when I saw the screenshots, but when I feasted my eyes on actual gameplay footage my opinion did a 360.

Titan Quest was pure beast! If only the gold edition wasnt stupid and let me play online with the expansion, it would have been twice as beast!
Lol I have a little red line... oh wait. Ok... better not make fun of it.

It's nice to finally see some gameplay, and I must say it looks pretty good. Especially considering it's only a "pre-pre-pre-alpha" version. I loved Titan Quest, and needless to say I'm pretty sure I'm going to love this game as well.

I liked Titan Quest. But I never finished it for some reason. I kinda lost interest. I felt like something was missing... but I can't quite figure out what it was. Would have been nice with some blood & gore... but I'm not usually that shallow.

I like the mythology setting... maybe there weren't enough iconic mythological creatures to butcher like I wanted. Been a while...

Titan Quest was great and I'm really looking forward to Grim Dawn. In fact...

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/the-needles/7151-The-Needles-Crowd-Contributed-Game-Development-A-Grim-Dawn-Breaks

Yeah, I'm self-pimping. Deal with it. ;)

I am really happy to see Grim Dawn moving ahead, though. Titan Quest and Iron Lore both deserved far better fates.

BRB, pre-ordering the Legedary fan edition.

I don't want to spoil Diablo with this. It was a while since I played some ARPG, holding off till the Boss comes because there's a real possibility this comes out before D3.

scotth266:
Deciding that when we still don't have anything other than a handful of screenshots (at least, last I checked) seems premature. Games look vastly different in motion than they do in photographs, and we don't even have that many of them.

Also, Blizzard did the same thing with Starcraft 2. I was hesitant at first about the art direction when I saw the screenshots, but when I feasted my eyes on actual gameplay footage my opinion did a 360.

It only seems premature if you're a severe fanboy.

There are two things in Diablo 3 that simply go against the Diablo art style - that are not going to change just because we see the later content of the game. For one thing, it's not trying to mimic reality in almost any regard. The textures all look painted. The proportions - screwed up. Et cetera. And the other thing, it's not trying to reach for any technical perfection whatsoever. The graphics are extremely blocky and low-poly (also going against the sharp aesthetic of Diablo), there is barely any (if any at all) lighting used from what we've seen of the game, and did I mention everything has extremely low polygon counts? And by low, I mean so low that a Diablo 3 character is made of less polygons than one of literally thousands of soldiers you can see fighting at once in Shogun 2. This leads to much less details being possible to portray in an environment, which is never a good thing. <--- These are facts.

It's good that your opinion did a 360 after seeing gameplay footage. You meant 180.

And I'm not knocking on Diablo 3's gameplay, god knows it looks solid, but artistic integrity Blizzard has none.

I'm so glad I did a search on Titan Quest and found this thread. Had never heard of Grim Dawn and fuck me does it look amazing. Hope this game manages to get released soon.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here