Rumor: Mortal Kombat Reboot Locking Multiplayer Behind Online Pass

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Xersues:

spartan773:

Adzma:
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Online Pass systems are a good thing. They mean that developers effectively make money from second hand sales, rather than everything going to the retailer. They deserve something for their hard work.

it's also, as i've said in a previous post, a way to recoup losses.

Are you sure? You sure it even goes to the developers? Or does it just go to the greedy publishers.

Think about it. These fuckers charge for content already on a disc through DLC, and now if you buy it pre-owned you have to buy more content on a disc.

You're owning less and less of the software you bought, even if you bought it new. How long does it take before a new game seriously becomes used? 6 months?

Gamestop, Best Buy sell used games.

Walmart/Online retailers (such as Xbox Live/PSN) do not.

Greedy fucks. They expect when some one buys a game a year or two later that their "online activation" bullshit is still going to be around? That crap costs money to maintain.

Now you tell me how much of that 10 dollars went towards the developers and not maintaining a shitty DRM system.**

** Note very rhetorical request that kind of data is hard to prove either way. I just don't believe that stuff is really out to "protect the developers".

listen, why else would there NOW be development of these paid online passes, DLC and the like?
This didn't exist during the ps2-xbox reign.
It's all because of the massive budget and shorter deadlines of today's games. They need a way to recoup losses based on the game. sure those prices are split umong sony/microsoft and their respective studios, but the fact still stands...
DLC and paid online passes are here to thrive. and, they said PRE-OWNED games, these passes are more than likely to be included in new copies. Example of this is Dead Space 2 Collector's Edition or new copies... it came with an online pass code... most likely this implementation will exist in 2 ways, a limited-time, one-use code included in new games and paid passes for pre-owned games...

They're finally realizing that pre-owned games exist and that they see it as a loss since none of the money goes to them,
may sound greedy but that's a bare necessity. that money's crucial... without money, coders, modelers, actors, studios would be out of jobs. no money = no more future games.

shit, double post.

ChromeAlchemist:
I've talked about this in the past with people, but I'll put it this way: If you agree with this, you and I are on opposite sides of the fence.

Do an online pass, or do paid DLC. Don't do both. No one can tell me that the company is losing money after they release 10+ characters as DLC and the grand total of the game ends up being £90.

I completely agree with that statement. It's just greedy otherwise.

This is so much crap. I rented Homefront only to find out I was locked at Level 5 online unless I paid up for a code. This idiotic plan absolutely kills rentals for everyone.

And $10 to rank past Level 5 Homefront with it's horrendous party system and constant disconnections? No thanks. Fix your fucking game before you even think about charging extra for online play.

Now Mortal Kombat will have no online at all unless you buy new? Bullshit.

ryo02:

Mod Edit: Piracy is illegal

AHH bad wording on my part I meant I wasnt going to buy it or pirate it SORRY thats why I said "I just dont want it" (I dont pirate ever)

Shy_Guy:
This is so much crap. I rented Homefront only to find out I was locked at Level 5 online unless I paid up for a code. This idiotic plan absolutely kills rentals for everyone.

And $10 to rank past Level 5 Homefront with it's horrendous party system and constant disconnections? No thanks. Fix your fucking game before you even think about charging extra for online play.

Now Mortal Kombat will have no online at all unless you buy new? Bullshit.

But you didn't buy the game, and even though rental copies cost much more than retail copies, neither you nor anyone else who rented the game have the right to enjoy the online features. I mean that makes sense, right? T_T

Fawcks:

Se7enUpMustang:
Well I was going to buy it.

I dont care how much I want the game, I dont care if it is the best game ever made, I dont care if you get 2 free strippers when you buy it. I will NOT buy any game that uses a sigle use code for access to online play. People who buy games legally are being punished for something that isnt our fault and there is no way we can fix it, so.....

FUCK THAT GAME
FUCK ANY OTHER GAME THAT DOES THIS
FUCK MP ACESS CODES
AND FUCK ANY DEVELOPER WHO USES THEM

We dont deserve this.

Entitlement much?

Developpers want to make money on the games they sell. Gamestop's used games give the developpers NO money. So this is a way to make their money back.

Makes perfect sense, really.

'Entitlement much?' are you serious? Good god, since when did people bend over like this and take all this gratefully! If you buy the damn game then it should include access to ALL content on that disc. This is just ridiculous!

I can understand shipping the game with a DLC code, bonus content not needed for the game. These day online multiplayer is expected, so I'm calling BS on this. It's like MW or CoD not coming with it, it's why people buy the game in the first place. 1st day DLC is fine, reduced functionality is not.

I have no problem throwing a little extra money the developers way; HOWEVER, I do have a problem with the way they're doing it. I feel like I'm having a finger pointed a me saying I'm the problem. I do buy games used, but the 2 biggest reasons I do that is 1: I wasn't interested in the game at launch and now have to buy used if at all or 2: I didn't feel like paying the $60 at launch and decided to wait for a price drop. Again, no problem with the idea of DLC or the like, just a problem with the fact I'm being pointed at as though I was a pirate.

Massive amounts of shit this is.
Fuck playing online though, seriously.

ImprovizoR:

AndrewC:
I see nothing wrong with these Online Pass schemes for playing online or whatever from buying a pre-owned game.

It's good that the developer gets some money out of it.

Let's say you want to buy a car from a used cars dealership, Mercedes for example. Do you have to give money to Mercedes in order to use the car or are you just gonna pay the dealership?

No, but the dealership has to pay Mercedes if they want to keep their dealer license and continue to sell said vehicles.

ChromeAlchemist:

But you didn't buy the game, and even though rental copies cost much more than retail copies, neither you nor anyone else who rented the game have the right to enjoy the online features. I mean that makes sense, right? T_T

No, and since I rent games to try them and decide if I want to buy, this kills my incentive to buy the games even more. No Trying = No Buying. Not to mention just the whole idea of paying extra for used games alone making me not want to buy it. I assure you I'm not the only one with this sentiment.

You talk about people who rent not having the "right" to enjoy the online features. Are you kidding me? Next, when publishers decide to charge $10 extra for everyone including people who buy new are you going to argue that we have no right to that content still? Don't kid yourself. You give money-greedy publishers a thumbs up on this and they'll try and shove their collective fist up our asses even deeper next time.

We're already paying $10 a month in the case of Xbox 360 owners to play online, paying $15 for a map-pack in CoD, and now $10 if you buy a game used... On top of the price of games rising $10 from the last generation of consoles. Enough already.

I'd be perfectly fine with getting something extra for buying new, such as what Epic did with GoW2; that was a great extra for people and still available for $10 for those who did buy used. Extras are the only reasonable way to go, not to lock out content.

Shy_Guy:

ChromeAlchemist:

No, and since I rent games to try them and decide if I want to buy, this kills my incentive to buy the games even more. No Trying = No Buying. Not to mention just the whole idea of paying extra for used games alone making me not want to buy it. I assure you I'm not the only one with this sentiment.

You talk about people who rent not having the "right" to enjoy the online features. Are you kidding me? Next, when publishers decide to charge $10 extra for everyone including people who buy new are you going to argue that we have no right to that content still? Don't kid yourself. You give money-greedy publishers a thumbs up on this and they'll try and shove their collective fist up our asses even deeper next time.

We're already paying $10 a month in the case of Xbox 360 owners to play online, paying $15 for a map-pack in CoD, and now $10 if you buy a game used... On top of the price of games rising $10 from the last generation of consoles. Enough already.

I'd be perfectly fine with getting something extra for buying new, such as what Epic did with GoW2; that was a great extra for people and still available for $10 for those who did buy used. Extras are the only reasonable way to go, not to lock out content.

I completely agree. Just so you know, the last post was sarcasm (ish, I was pointing out how silly it is for them to be punishing you as a renter) but yes, I'm on your side here.

Actually, this means retailer's will probably start cutting used games to $45 instead of $55 in the states so they can still end up five dollars under the price of new (the retailer will still make more profit doing that instead of selling new).

This tactic allows developers to take money from the retailers pocket through the gamer who will still pay the same price for the used game as before. If the retailer cuts a game to $55 buying it is pointless since new will cost less, if they cut it to $50 people will still prefer new since the price is identical. In every scenario it is the retailer who takes the hit and the developer who comes out ahead.

Silly gamers, whining over nothing. If you can still get a game for the used price but now a portion of the money goes to the creator isn't that a good thing?

ChromeAlchemist:

I completely agree. Just so you know, the last post was sarcasm (ish, I was pointing out how silly it is for them to be punishing you as a renter) but yes, I'm on your side here.

Well, now I feel like a dummy! :l

Treeinthewoods:
Actually, this means retailer's will probably start cutting used games to $45 instead of $55 in the states so they can still end up five dollars under the price of new (the retailer will still make more profit doing that instead of selling new).

This tactic allows developers to take money from the retailers pocket through the gamer who will still pay the same price for the used game as before. If the retailer cuts a game to $55 buying it is pointless since new will cost less, if they cut it to $50 people will still prefer new since the price is identical. In every scenario it is the retailer who takes the hit and the developer who comes out ahead.

Silly gamers, whining over nothing. If you can still get a game for the used price but now a portion of the money goes to the creator isn't that a good thing?

Did you not read my post? This kills rentals. And I've actually yet to see used games go down in price anywhere at all.

I like to rent games I'm not sure about + I like to play online = This Plan Sucks.

strangeotron:

'Entitlement much?' are you serious? Good god, since when did people bend over like this and take all this gratefully! If you buy the damn game then it should include access to ALL content on that disc. This is just ridiculous!

Look.

The developer is the one providing the Online service.

If you buy the game used, you're not buying from the developer. They get NO MONEY from that.

Why should they provide you with a service you did not pay for?

The problem I have with schemes like this, is that the retailer is under no obligation to knock a full $10 off the price for a used copy of the game. They knock any less than that off and you're forced to buy new to get the best deal. That's not right. This concept is to help the developers balance their books against used sales, the approach taken should not be this draconian.

I don't really like the sales part of video games right now because everybody is trying to undercut each other. I like video games and want to help the developers, but they really are fighting the symptoms and not the cause here.

This is screwed up. I'm all for companies using day-1 DLC like Shale in DA:O to help get people to buy their game new, but keeping you out of online multiplayer because you bought used is going to far for me.

Everyone always talks about the fact that used games don't give any part of the profits to the developers. I'm fine with this because the copy was already bought new. It's just changing hands now with some money transaction between the people who are handling it. Having developers get money from used games is like having them get money from games given as gifts. Essentially they are getting twice the amount of money for one copy of the game.

Making people pay for extra content when they buy used (as opposed to getting it for free if they buy new) is fine by me. But locking out parts of the game like that just because you weren't the first one to use that copy is crossing the line for me. I wasn't considering getting Mortal Kombat, but I was interested in F.E.A.R. 3 and Batman Arkham City. Now I doubt I'll be getting those.

Well if you were going to buy it when it came out, then you wouldn't have to pay the $10 to play online. I'm buying it new the day of, so this doesn't effect me.

Why are people so upset about this? I prefer to buy games new when I can so I make sure I get a good disk.

Why I do think they should do though, is after a few months or a year as gone by, stop making people enter codes in. Unless you have a CoD game, many games will slack up online traffic after a year. Let the people play for free so you can ensure people like your game and may buy from you in the future.

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.