Police Use Stolen Console To Catch Thief

Police Use Stolen Console To Catch Thief

Dear criminals: if you steal and then fence a console, be aware that the cops will probably be able to track you down when it's connected to the internet.

Stolen electronics, it seems, are getting easier to recover these days. Case in point: Police in Medford, Oregon, managed to track down a burglar who stole -and then sold- a videogame console when the console was registered for online play.

Back on Christmas Eve, a man in Ashland, OR, returned home to find that his house had been burglarized. Amongst the many items missing was a videogame console. However, police were able to track down the console:

The Southern Oregon High-Tech Crimes Task Force contacted the console's manufacturer and was able to trace the unit after it was registered for online gameplay.

Central Point police Lt. Josh Moulin, who supervises the task force, said the trace led to a home in Medford. Officers contacted the resident, who told them he bought the console from Nicholas Gomez, 24, of the 200 block of Oregon Terrace.

Gomez was subsequently interviewed and arrested based on charges of first-and-second-degree theft. However, the police weren't able to find enough evidence to link the man to the burglary.

Exactly what type of console was stolen hasn't been revealed, so it's not clear if kudos should be given to Microsoft, Nintendo, or Sony. It's too bad Gomez wasn't able to be charged with the theft, but it's almost a guarantee that the police will be keeping an eye on the guy.

Source: Ashland Daily Tidings

good thing gaming consoles are practically computers these days huh?

However, being logged onto a console can be used as an alibi if done right.

Hmmm... Interesting seal of approval. I wonder what console it was.

Not enough evidence? Are they stupid? He clearly sold some guy the console he could have only gotten from stealing. The guy admits who sold it to him. This is why we can't have nice things.

And this is why you sell your stolen goods to reputable underworld contacts.

I mean, this is why you don't steal stuff.

Interesting that they were able to trace the console though, if it was stolen on Christmas Eve you'd expect it to be wrapped up in a cupbard somewhere and not connected and playing games. I wonder what information they traced it by.

bullshit they don't have enough evidence, i'd beat that guys ass up and down the block for that shit, fuck people like that.

still, awesome that he was "caught"

Eri:
Not enough evidence? Are they stupid? He clearly sold some guy the console he could have only gotten from stealing. The guy admits who sold it to him. This is why we can't have nice things.

Innocent until proven guilty beyond reasonable doubt is quite the bitch. That is, until it's you in the hot seat for a crime you didn't commit.

Eri:

Not really. The guy who had the console says he bought it from this other guy. So now the police have this other guy. The other guy must have stolen it, right? WRONG. The other guy could have bought it from the original thief and then turned around and sold it to try and profit. The person who stole it could have misplaced it, and the guy who decided to sell it just found it wherever the thief lost it. There are other possibilities too.

So, no. They don't have enough proof to say that Gomez actually stole it, which is why they have to let him go. Did he likely steal it? Yeah. But unless they can prove it, whatever story Gomez comes up with is enough to let him walk free. Welcome to the law.

I hope that the buyer at least added a few points to the victim's gamer score. Since it's not going to trial (which is bullshit) he should have gotten it back by now.

Eri:
This is why we can't have nice things.

What do you mean? This story shows exactly why we CAN have nice things.

Important: Which console?

Wow, some people. Lol just I cant say anything else, but you know, easy way to catch people.

...or Sega. Dreamcasts have some snazzy online tracing :D

There's always the chance the "buyer" is lying. It's probably slim to nothing, but the cops still need to be sure.

vansau:
Exactly what type of console was stolen hasn't been revealed, so it's not clear if kudos should be given to Microsoft, Nintendo, or Sony.

I don't think the PS3 or PSP has a sophisticated enough online setup for this to be Sony's doing (not sure, haven't used my PS3's online in months), and I know for a fact that the Wii and DS don't have what it takes. I'm betting this was a 360.

P.S. Thanks

Well, it's good to know that if anyone ever steals my poor little system, there's a chance that I could get it back without having to worry overly much.

Of course, that assumes that the thief would bother rummaging through the pile of dirty laundry I have thrown over the top of it in order to steal it. I find that underwear, socks, and rancid gym clothes from my high-school days are a good theft-deterrent.

I should know, since I've been robbed once already... and they didn't even move the pile.

It's been a while since the seal's been used.

Covarr:

vansau:
Exactly what type of console was stolen hasn't been revealed, so it's not clear if kudos should be given to Microsoft, Nintendo, or Sony.

I don't think the PS3 or PSP has a sophisticated enough online setup for this to be Sony's doing (not sure, haven't used my PS3's online in months), and I know for a fact that the Wii and DS don't have what it takes. I'm betting this was a 360.

P.S. Thanks

I remember a story from a thread on Sony's forum (the thread was titled: "My Ps3 refused to be a victim" I'm pretty sure).

This guy's PS3 was stolen around Christmas, but the owner had previously connected his PS3 to his PSP for activation and stuff. He kept trying the PS3 for days untill it finally went online and he managed to get control of it with the PSP. He used the webcam the theif also installed to it (bad idea right there) and snapped a photo of him well grabbing the network's IP address. Police caught the guy and returned the PS3.

Was a pretty good story.

Phantom Echo:
Well, it's good to know that if anyone ever steals my poor little system, there's a chance that I could get it back without having to worry overly much.

Of course, that assumes that the thief would bother rummaging through the pile of dirty laundry I have thrown over the top of it in order to steal it. I find that underwear, socks, and rancid gym clothes from my high-school days are a good theft-deterrent.

I should know, since I've been robbed once already... and they didn't even move the pile.

Bravo, sir.

Since my house was burglarized a few years back, I hide the electronics behind precarious-looking piles of crap. No one will risk a broken neck to steal a laptop. The burglars were idiots anyway the first time - they stole all the beer and a television but didn't take musical instruments.

He might as well have stolen a GPS. not exactly the smartest thief ever.

Roganzar:

Very good point good sir. I like how you think :P

Looks like,

*Puts on sunglasses*

That's game over for him.

YEEEEEEEAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

(sorry, someone had to do it)

Yeah does everybody remember what day it is?

Eri:

Someone who was in possession of stolen property told the police he got it from some guy. I don't want to live in a world where that's all that's needed to convict someone of a crime. You shouldn't, either.

"Um, I got it from Eri." There. Now you have a record.

This is old news. I correspond witht the police daily for stolen consoles.

gmaverick019:
bullshit they don't have enough evidence, i'd beat that guys ass up and down the block for that shit, fuck people like that.

still, awesome that he was "caught"

Just because he had the console it doesn't mean he stole it... The problem is the police need to prove it to the point of no reasonable coubt. Yes he most likely did steal it but he could just say he got it off someone else

Covarr:

vansau:

P.S. Thanks

yeah knowing Microsoft and how they feel about privacy it was probably a 360 though using their powers for good isnt usually like them

theheroofaction:

What kind of GPS? You have to be a bit more specific here. If it's just a receiver, it doesn't send out a signal to tell anyone where you're at.

My bet is either a PS3(in which case this would be conformation of a previous story) or an X-Box 360. I don't really see the Wii as a the same boat as the other two.

I'd say MS or Sony. Probably MS given that you update before even logging on when your consoles connected to the internet.

theheroofaction:

Yeeeeeeep. :L
Oh dear; people don't think any more, do they?

Roganzar:

Not really. I'll let my console run for an installation (I have PS3) and take a walk. The install is done soon after and I'm still logged into the system, but I'm not at the apartment. Or if I pause a game and go outside, the network would see me as "Playing -campaign- on this game" but I'm not home

Eri:

It could have been the person they tracked the terminal to, or this Gomez guy, or Gomez might have found it on the street and been like "Fuck, I don't play video games, I can sell this" or something like that

There no substantial evidence linking him to the crime scene, just the fact that he might be one of the people

theheroofaction:

Actually, worse than stealing most GPSes. Most of them don't broadcast, they only receive, and thus they aren't easily traced.

As I found out when my GPS was stolen.

I know this story is old, but I had to add, it was NOT Sony. Last night we were broken into and robbed, and one of the things stolen was my room mates PS3. I remembered this news article and told him about it, but this morning when he called they just told him he was SOL. Sucks... we had our hopes up that we would find our stuff.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here