BioShock 2 Concept Art Reveals Golden, Floating Big Daddies

Pages 1 2 NEXT

BioShock 2 Concept Art Reveals Golden, Floating Big Daddies

BioShock 2 could have featured Big Daddies with the power of flight.

BioShock's Big Daddy will probably go down in videogame history as one of the coolest foes ever created. It returned in BioShock 2, but if concept designer Iain McCaig had all of his designs for the game included, it would have been slightly more terrifying.

Big Daddies come in all sorts of different types, from the Bouncer to the Rosie to the Lancer, and each have different armaments, helmets, and exteriors. One factor they all share is that they're stuck to the ground by the force of gravity.

However, two designs by McCaig show Big Daddies that can apparently fly, which is a scary thought. Not only would these Big Daddies be hard to kill, but they'd be buzzing around like bees in the rafters while unleashing rockets or lasers or whatever McCaig has equipped them with.

I can see why these flying Big Daddies weren't put into BioShock 2, because they're a bit outside of the game's damp and rusty aesthetic. McCaig's designs in general are still gorgeous to look at, even when it comes to the non-aerial foes. The rest of his work, including costume designs and splicer designs, can be found here.

Edit: These are apparently images of how the Big Daddies appear to the Little Sisters, and not psychic, flying Big Daddies.

Source: Iain McCaig, via Destructoid

How about just eerie floating? That would scare the shit out of me. No the usual **Clump** **Culmp** but an almost silent glide. Golden, levitating big daddies that can move at incredible speed? Winner.

Man those are some blinged out Big Daddies. You do not mess with those guys.

Although thinking about it, gold armour and weapons are really week anyway so we'd be fine.

Are you sure they're not just pictured floating in water or something? Does it actually say somewhere that they're levitating in those pics? That would just be really weird and out-of-place, even in BioShock.

EDIT: Ok, read the website linked there - I guess they are levitating. Huh.

I've never played Bioshock, but I did watch a LP of it once. They were really creepy, because as Scrumpmonkey said, the "CLUMP CLUMP" was freaky. But one thats fast and makes no noise? That would be like doubling the speed of the Creeper in minecraft...

ThaBenMan:
Are you sure they're not just pictured floating in water or something? Does it actually say somewhere that they're levitating in those pics? That would just be really weird and out-of-place, even in BioShock.

Basically what I was thinking. They probably planned them for the underwater sections, but cut them later...

Scrumpmonkey:
How about just eerie floating? That would scare the shit out of me. No the usual **Clump** **Culmp** but an almost silent glide. Golden, levitating big daddies that can move at incredible speed? Winner.

Kinda like these ?

I agree, I like the eerie silent glide.

What the fuck is this ?

just pointing out, but this isnt that new, it was in the artbook that came with the CE.

I think the gold colour is a bit too much since it would of offset the surrounding so I'm glad they didn't put them in.

Big Daddy will probably go down in videogame history as one of the coolest foes ever created.

Damm right they will! Anyhows, I have to admit however cool these look a floating Big Daddy might not fit the theme of Rapture that well, although I suppose it would be extra fun to be a Little Sister riding on one of these whilst they're flying!

Um.....weren't these in the Rapture Edition book that accompanied the game in some stores in the UK? Kinda old no?

they were indeed

Big Daddy waking up in the morning, feeling like P. Diddy.

I prefer the non-flying ones. Really. But some bling wouldn't hurt.

OMG a shiny Big Daddy!

This art has been around for a while, im surprised your just getting around to it.

Everyone seems to be glad that they weren't featured in Bioshock 2 cos of the contrast and bad-assitude of them...
But Infinite is on its way and that is in the sky!?
There is nothing to say that these guys won't appear in Infinite...
And what's worse than flying Big Daddies in small underwater rooms??? Flying Big Daddies in huge open areas where they can swarm in from afar... Without a sound.... =O

this isnt my name:
What the fuck is this ?

EPIC

No these were not a new form of big daddy, they were concept art for how big daddy's appeared in the eyes of the little sisters. And this isnt news it was known a year ago when Bioshock 2 came out.

That Guy Who Phails:

this isnt my name:
What the fuck is this ?

EPIC

Second.

Ehhhh, I don't really like them, honestly.

Werent those suppose to be the Little Sisters view of the Big Daddy? Like in that portion of Bioshock 2.

Those look very impressive, the last one is my favourite. Probably not a good idea to fit in but man those are really amazing.

Samuel Garrett:
Everyone seems to be glad that they weren't featured in Bioshock 2 cos of the contrast and bad-assitude of them...
But Infinite is on its way and that is in the sky!?
There is nothing to say that these guys won't appear in Infinite...
And what's worse than flying Big Daddies in small underwater rooms??? Flying Big Daddies in huge open areas where they can swarm in from afar... Without a sound.... =O

Very true, where even normal people viewed them like that. THEN BAM! DRILL THROUGH HEAD!

WanderingFool:
Werent those suppose to be the Little Sisters view of the Big Daddy? Like in that portion of Bioshock 2.

Really? Well thanks for that extra.

jurnag12:
just pointing out, but this isnt that new, it was in the artbook that came with the CE.

Aye, I remember these from the artbook though. The one thing that really interested from the artbook (that i also wanted to see ingame) were those enemies (presumably some extremely mutated splicers) which had seemingly adapted to moving around underwater. They also looked pretty horrific. I would have to have seen them, as if there's one thing I thought Bioshock [2] needed, it was some non-humanoid enemies.

Isn't it already widely-known that this is only how they appear to the Little Sisters?

Erhm... Dident the Big Daddies first get invented in Rapture?

T...Thomas Zine?

Hmmm. Why does this look familiar?

No idea.

HankMan:
OMG a shiny Big Daddy!

*resists urge to make a Pokemon joke*

*fails, grabs Master Ball*

Image 5 looks awesome! That said, it would be a pain in the ass to kill.

The part of the game where you got to see the world from a Little Sister's perspective was unfortunately the only interesting part of that disappointing sequel.

The ones in the third image really get me with their chain kilts and sporrans, absolutely beautiful.
The Gold armor would just accentuate how terrifying they would be in my opinion.

They should have made the player character big daddy floating...something about stomping around all slow and noisy while wearing a fish bowl on my head didn't really appeal to me.

Shepard's Shadow:

Yeah it'd probably end up being waaaay overpowered. I think they did a good job with the big sisters, they were pretty cool.
Off Topic: Sweet avatar :P

TacticalAssassin1:

Shepard's Shadow:

Yeah it'd probably end up being waaaay overpowered. I think they did a good job with the big sisters, they were pretty cool.

They would be overpowered. They already move fast, just imagine how fast they could move if they floated!

Thank you for the compliment!

Shepard's Shadow:

TacticalAssassin1:

Shepard's Shadow:

They would be overpowered. They already move fast, just imagine how fast they could move if they floated!

Thank you for the compliment!

They would look pretty badass though. I'm just imagining what the art guys could have done adding steam-punk fans on their shoes, or a '50s style jetpack...
And no problem :D

For anyone intersted, these designs are in the concept art book that came with the special edition. I Believe that the little sisters view the big daddies as knighs in shining armour.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here