LHC Could Be Close to Finding a New Sub-Atomic Particle

Pages 1 2 NEXT

LHC Could Be Close to Finding a New Sub-Atomic Particle

Badly behaving quarks could be pointing to a new elementary particle, and the Large Hadron Collider might be able to hunt it down by the end of this year.

When a proton and antiproton are smashed together at nearly light-speed inside the Tevatron Particle Collider in Illinois the Top Quarks, the heaviest of six types of quarks and one of the smallest particles in existance, aren't quite behaving they way the Standard Model of particle physics says they should be. This is a rather big deal. Now the Large Hadron Collider, the largest particle accelerator in the world, could be mere months away from discovering the new elementary particle that's been screwing with the quarks.

Teams at the Tevatron first started noticing the quarks flying off in the wrong directions back in 2008, but these tests could have been flukes, or perhaps a problem with the equipment. Scientists are nothing if not cautious, so nearly four years and hundreds of collisions later, scientists are almost ready to say something is definitely wrong. Where the Standard Model says nine percent of top quarks should be flying off in the direction of the proton beam, the actual number is closer to 45 percent.

The possibility of this particle breaking the Standard Model has stirred physicists up into a frenzy of predictions and theories, trying to make sense of the results of the Tevatron tests. Now if only we had a way to test these theories, like some sort of large device that could collide hadrons ...

Well, we do. Some scientists, like Johns Hopkins University's Markus Schulze, believe that the particle could be discovered with the Large Hadron Collider by the end of 2011. Finding this mystery particle, says Schulze, "would be a beautiful and delicate signal of physics beyond the standard model."

"Particle physicists know that the standard model is incomplete," says Moira Gresham of the University of Michigan. "We've been waiting a long time to get some more concrete hints."

Source: Wired
(Image)

You know, the guy that manages to figure this out is going to vanish as he reaches "Level 2" of the real world. Can I ask, what is the point in the LHC other than finding the Higgs-Boson(sp?) particle thing? This stuff is just way too over my head, but good luck to them!

Pilkingtube:
You know, the guy that manages to figure this out is going to vanish as he reaches "Level 2" of the real world. Can I ask, what is the point in the LHC other than finding the Higgs-Boson(sp?) particle thing? This stuff is just way too over my head, but good luck to them!

This should help clear it up:

Alpinekat, the vocalist on this video, actually worked at CERN and wrote the song while commuting to and from the site.

One giant leap for sub-atomic physics,

One epic revision of wherever they keep the theories.

could be CLOSE to finding a new particle?

.......Call me when you DO find it!

Optimystic:

Pilkingtube:

Alpinekat, the vocalist on this video, actually worked at CERN and wrote the song while commuting to and from the site.

Ugh, mah brain. >_<

So it's been cleared up for me I guess, the point of the LHC is for scientists to find somewhere to secretly have a dance party?

I got up to Quarks as was all like "what"

I dont have the time to wiki things right now!

Pilkingtube:

So it's been cleared up for me I guess, the point of the LHC is for scientists to find somewhere to secretly have a dance party?

Science itself is reason enough to dance :-D

Optimystic:

Pilkingtube:

The internet has finally come home

Whenever I read about the particle collider I imagine a yellow smiley face icon and a red smiley face icon being shot through giant tunnels and ramming head first in a scene of gore so happy that the joker would be appalled. Curse you, science!!!

That's pretty much all I got from this article. Here's looking forward to more doomsday theories!

Optimystic:

Pilkingtube:

Science itself is reason enough to dance :-D

See, now i've got this weird image in my head of Stephen Hawking and Brian Cox having a dance-off.. for science!

Yay!
What does it mean again?

bloody Quarks!

Awesome, call me when the thing helps us figure out faster than light travel and we can start harassing pre-space civilizations on other planets.

Blend:

Optimystic:

Pilkingtube:

The internet has finally come home

It gets better
Im stocked up for the residence cascade, are you?

You know, stuff like this is awesome. I revel in pride and happiness when I read that we're discovering new things about the universe.

... It's a shame that I can't comprehend what they're doing, though. Physics definitely aren't my strong side.

imnotparanoid:
It gets better

So that's why we have no Episode 3, Freeman is busy doing actual science.

Veloxe:

imnotparanoid:
It gets better

Theres more...
D:

D:

D:

D:

45% going in the direction OF the proton beam? Assuming than means the direction it's coming from, not the direction it's pointed, that means there IS probably something else holding those molecules together.
Enough serious talk.

Veloxe:

imnotparanoid:
It gets better

Dam it Freeman! Those crates aren't going to crowbar themselves!

Pilkingtube:

Well, apart from confirming or denying loads of theories, finding clues for proving existence of other dimensions, pararel universes, answers for big bang and unraveling mysteries or singularities... nothing.

Honestly, the only place I've seen mentioning Higgs bosson is here in escapist, LHC has so many uses that I just can't wait for their discoveries.

The best thing about is that, even if they manage to isolate that particle it will not only not answer any questions but only create even more of them, mainly - what effect does it have on our world, how it shaped our universe and what would happen if it was not there.
Ages ago scientists looked for a thing called perpetum mobile and i think LHC is just exactly that, the machine that produces question fueled by it's own discoveries.

This is the stuff I love, unfortunately my grades in physics aren't really good, so I don't think I'd be able to work as a physicist even though I'd love to.

Distorted Stu:

imnotparanoid:
Yay!
What does it mean again?

The short, mostly-wrong version is that we don't know where gravity/mass/inertia (they're all basically the same thing) comes from. All the forces in nature have a sub-atomic particle that is responsible for 'carrying' that force, but gravity doesn't have one that we've seen. That's the Higgs Boson. According to current theories, the Higgs Boson should show up if we can slam sub-atomic particles together at high enough speeds.

That's about all I'm prepared to explain right now. The rest has to do with anti-matter, dark matter, and string theory (which some physicists think is bunk, but the majority of physicists think HAS to be true in some form or another; yeah...).

DanDeFool:

Distorted Stu:

imnotparanoid:
Yay!
What does it mean again?

The short, mostly-wrong version is that we don't know where gravity/mass/inertia (they're all basically the same thing) comes from. All the forces in nature have a sub-atomic particle that is responsible for 'carrying' that force, but gravity doesn't have one that we've seen. That's the Higgs Boson. According to current theories, the Higgs Boson should show up if we can slam sub-atomic particles together at high enough speeds.

That's about all I'm prepared to explain right now. The rest has to do with anti-matter, dark matter, and string theory (which some physicists think is bunk, but the majority of physicists think HAS to be true in some form or another; yeah...).

So like magic right?
im so increadably bad at physics

imnotparanoid:

DanDeFool:

Distorted Stu:

imnotparanoid:
Yay!
What does it mean again?

So like magic right?

It's like if you have two cars, and no way to disassemble them. You want to know what's inside, so what do you do? You smash them together and see what pieces come out. You see the engine block right away, but because it's so sturdy you can't see what's inside the engine block unless you smash the cars together really, really fast.

Does that help?

DanDeFool:

imnotparanoid:

DanDeFool:

So like magic right?

It's like if you have two cars, and no way to disassemble them. You want to know what's inside, so what do you do? You smash them together and see what pieces come out. You see the engine block right away, but because it's so sturdy you can't see what's inside the engine block unless you smash the cars together really, really fast.

Does that help?

A lot actually! but now I have an urge to smash up my dads car D:

Well they already made up the strange particles to explain the longlivety of some things now they will just invent another one to make the equations fit

Woo! New Marbles!
I still haven't heard if they found the Higgs boson they built the thing to look for.

imnotparanoid:

imnotparanoid:

Sunovabitch!

You may not be paranoid imnotparanoid, but I sure as hell am right now...

DanDeFool:

imnotparanoid:

DanDeFool:

So like magic right?

Does that help?

Wow, is that like a universal explanation for the LHC? Because that is EXACTLY what my physics teacher told me xD

imnotparanoid:

imnotparanoid:

I'd seen the first one before, but that second one... I may need to stock up on crowbars.

OT: This is all really cool and all, but what happened to the search for the Higgs-Boson? I've heard very little news involving the LHC since it was switched on. That's great if we find a different new elementary particle, but did they give up on the Higgs?

DanDeFool:

Does that help?

That is by far the best explanation I've heard of what the LHC is for. I'm kinda into science and physics and the like, so I've understood the LHC on a slightly higher level, but I will definitely use that to explain it to anyone who doesn't get the nitty-gritty science.

I don't think they have given up, but there are a ton of experiments that they run there. The Higg-Boson particle was just considered the most important because, dammit, we want to know how the hell gravity really works, not just have theories.

I just like saying "quark."

Quark quark quark quark quark quark.

imnotparanoid:
It gets better

Oh, well, you know, it could just be a coincidence. After all, many people have facial hair in the style of Gordon Freema-

imnotparanoid:

D:

D:

D:

D:

OOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHH SSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII-

Jjtricky:

DanDeFool:

imnotparanoid:

So like magic right?

Does that help?

Wow, is that like a universal explanation for the LHC? Because that is EXACTLY what my physics teacher told me xD

Weird coincidence. I swear I came up with that on the spot.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here