Square Pumping Up Final Fantasy V for PSN Release

Square Pumping Up Final Fantasy V for PSN Release

Square Enix is bringing Final Fantasy V to the PlayStation Network with a little bit of new content.

Square Enix's Final Fantasy V never made it out of Japan on its original platform (the Super Nintendo). In the West, Square released Final Fantasy IV as Final Fantasy II (because it didn't localize the NES's actual Final Fantasy II and Final Fantasy III), and then skipped Final Fantasy V to release Final Fantasy VI as Final Fantasy III. It was a whole thing. Thankfully, Square Enix is now putting together a brand new release of Final Fantasy V for the PlayStation Network, and even throwing in some new content.

Square Enix has announced that Final Fantasy V is coming to the PlayStation Network for the PSP and PS3 with all-new cinematic sequences. It'll also feature, well, nothing else new. Sorry. Something is better than nothing, I suppose.

Later, Square did release Final Fantasy V in the West for the Game Boy Advance and in the PS1's Final Fantasy Anthology. Anyone that missed these titles now have something else to look forward to that will (probably) never go out of print.

Final Fantasy V is an interesting game. It doesn't have the storytelling strength of the memorable Final Fantasy IV or the amazing Final Fantasy VI, but it does come with a pretty cool job system. While a switchable job system was first seen in Final Fantasy III (NES version), it didn't hit its stride until Final Fantasy V. Players could not only change their characters' classes, but transfer skills from previously held classes to new ones to create hybrid types (i.e. healing knights).

While the job system might be one of the more interesting components of Final Fantasy V, it also features some memorable tunes and the story isn't that bad, it just doesn't compare to other Final Fantasy efforts. At $10 or so ($5 in our dreams), it'll be worth a trip down job system memory lane. Square Enix didn't say when it plans to release Final Fantasy V on the PSN, just that it's "in development."

Sooooo this is an FF game we never got? Interesting.

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES.

I adore the job system and combat of 5.

You're dead on saying the story isn't terribly good, but dear god was the job system perfect. I love mixing classes together.

Also, Butz.

But Anon doesn't want us to play it.

Sad face time.

EDIT: Never mind, it seems that's already done with.

Yeah. I'm definitely picking this up when it's out on PSN. Huzzah!

Ooo, will definitely have to pick this up. I played it on the PS1 back in the day but never managed to beat it.

I kind of just want it for the battle music xD

Chibz:

See you think it's a good idea but you're just paying for them to make something even worse for Final Fantasy XV. If you bail them out they'll never learn their lesson.

Never was my favorite, but if its cheap enough, I would like to encourage the same treatment of FF6.

If you have a Japanese Account on your PS3 you can go to the PSN and Download ff 1,2,4,5,6 in one Package in their PS1 Glory. So f**k waiting for this.
I think I should also mention THEY COME IN ENGLISH!

Speaking of the Game Boy Advance version, my local electronics store still happens to have one and I have been contemplating whether or not to buy it for a long time. I would love to have it, but I am not sure if it is worth 40 Euros. =/

manythings:
See you think it's a good idea but you're just paying for them to make something even worse for Final Fantasy XV. If you bail them out they'll never learn their lesson.

But I don't care what they do with recent final fantasy games, because final fantasy sucks now.

So how is it a BAD idea to only buy the FF games who's quality I can stand behind?

Ah good, I always liked V but I never got a chance to complete it. Hopefully it's re-translated so Faris won't sound like a complete idiot, I couldn't stand how she talked in the Anthology version. The job system is really where this game shines.

To commemorate this good news, I shall play a song.

manythings:

Chibz:

That seems backwards... If he were buying their shittier NEW games that would be one thing. But the classics are just that Classics. That and most former Square/SquareSoft fans don't give a fuck about the current shit they release.

Tom Phoenix:
Speaking of the Game Boy Advance version, my local electronics store still happens to have one and I have been contemplating whether or not to buy it for a long time. I would love to have it, but I am not sure if it is worth 40 Euros. =/

While I'm not sure its worth that much, the gba version is loved for having a really good, charming, humorous dub, with western references like power rangers and LotR. If you want a version with a good dub, I'd reccomend it.

To hell with this shit, where's VI?

Best job system in any Final Fantasy game ever!

*shakes head* and we get another rererererelease or remake...this is why the majority of new games out of square enix and actually made by square enix aren't very good...they've forgotten how to actually make new games..

Onyx Oblivion:
YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES.

I adore the job system and combat of 5.

You're dead on saying the story isn't terribly good, but dear god was the job system perfect. I love mixing classes together.

Also, Butz.

Yes yes yes yes yes! :D

Even though I own the game on PS1 already I'll probably get this too. To the local EB games to buy a PSN card!

Tank207:
Ah good, I always liked V but I never got a chance to complete it. Hopefully it's re-translated so Faris won't sound like a complete idiot, I couldn't stand how she talked in the Anthology version. The job system is really where this game shines.

To commemorate this good news, I shall play a song.

Exellent choice of music, I have to say. Also, I happen to have FF Antology for PS1, but I might buy this thing from the PSN just because it's FF IV. The job system was the most interesting system I had seen in an RPG.

Though the translation in all the early PS1 Final Fantasys were indeed quite...funky sometimes, heh. Hope it's better this time.

Floyd Norman:
If you have a Japanese Account on your PS3 you can go to the PSN and Download ff 1,2,4,5,6 in one Package in their PS1 Glory. So f**k waiting for this.

BUT! Do they have the original loading times from the PS1 days as well?

Definitely worth a play through, I remember playing a fan translation rom way before it was released here on PSx. I also bought it on PSx when it came out here so S my D if you think piracy is all bad all the time (I'm talking to you mods).

EDIT: less than 2 weeks until FFIV for psp! =)

...I still have the Final Fantasy Collection PS1 disc with FF5 on it... and it works fine on my PS2...

Defense:

Floyd Norman:

BUT! Do they have the original loading times from the PS1 days as well?

Well if you haven't played a PS1 download before then I guess its a good time to explain that the PS3's (not really that great) hardware accelerates them. The PS1 FF Downloads are in no way slow except FF 9 but that games was like playing an AIDs sufferer to begin with.

fu3lman:
To hell with this shit, where's VI?

yeah really i think they are pulling this shit on us on purpose im going to end up with all 1-5,7-9 before i ever get to 6 on my psp

I had a chance to play this on a rom a whole year before it was released here (a while back). I managed to locate a fan dubbed version in english. I thought it was pretty cool then. I'd be happy to see a remake too. ^^ (never did beat - got really close though)

Still my favorite Final Fantasy ever. It would be nice if there was a pack with 4 and 6 as well though.

Chibz:

manythings:

But I don't care what they do with recent final fantasy games, because final fantasy sucks now.

So how is it a BAD idea to only buy the FF games who's quality I can stand behind?

SanguineSymphony:

manythings:

Chibz:

That seems backwards... If he were buying their shittier NEW games that would be one thing. But the classics are just that Classics. That and most former Square/SquareSoft fans don't give a fuck about the current shit they release.

They aren't ear-marking the money from this, that money is going straight into the "FFXIV was retarded" bailout. They aren't going to suddenly realise they've fucked up and try to make the games in a different/good way, they're going to piss it up against the wall on some other dumb project (that will never be a remake of FFVII).

manythings:
They aren't ear-marking the money from this, that money is going straight into the "FFXIV was retarded" bailout. They aren't going to suddenly realise they've fucked up and try to make the games in a different/good way, they're going to piss it up against the wall on some other dumb project (that will never be a remake of FFVII).

What about this basic concept is alien to you? I don't CARE about FF15, or 14. Or even 16 when it comes out. They'll suck anyways, so I'm not buying.

FF5 is still awesome though. It'll always be awesome.

FFV was my first RPG ever so it holds a special place in my heart. Up until that point I only played sidescrollers, racers or fighters. The idea that a game could have such a complex system and actual story and dialogue blew my mind.
To this day Galuf's death is still one of the most memorable moments in my gamer life.

Chibz:

manythings:

What about this basic concept is alien to you? I don't CARE about FF15, or 14. Or even 16 when it comes out. They'll suck anyways, so I'm not buying.

FF5 is still awesome though. It'll always be awesome.

I was going to ask what part of Don't give a Fuck do you not understand. You're nicer than I am.

I am not buying any new SE games unless they change a LOT. But I do and will buy their classics.

The way I see it SE is going to be like Disney was for a while and stay a float on their old classics.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here