When it Rains in Minecraft 1.5, It Snows

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

When it Rains in Minecraft 1.5, It Snows

The next update to indie smash hit Minecraft will include weather systems like rain for all your wolf-dampening purposes.

Minecraft has quite a lot of well-deserved boasts to its name. It's currently earned creator Notch a cool $33 million, it has adorable blocky wolves, and it has an incredibly catchy song created by The Escapist's own Miracle of Sound. (Seriously, I can't stop listening to this).

One thing it doesn't have yet, though, is weather. That's about to change: According to the game's mastermine Notch, beta update 1.5 will add rain and snow to the world of Minecraft. He also included a picture of what it might look like on the border of two Minecraft biomes, which just doesn't look natural at all.

What will the weather actually do? That's a trickier question, and Notch and Mojang haven't quite decided all of the effects it could have on the game. Rain will water crops, put out fires (but not lava) and make wolves get wet, and it also might flood small holes. No word on what snow does, but hopefully it freezes Creepers, or something like that.

Oh, wait! Maybe you can pack it into snowballs and throw it at people! That'd be fantastic. There you go, Notch, have that idea for free.

(Twitter @Notch Via Joystiq)

John Funk:
Oh, wait! Maybe you can pack it into snowballs and throw it at people! That'd be fantastic. There you go, Notch, have that idea for free.

It already does that XD

http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Snowball

Uh, you already can make snowballs from snow.

Edit: Also, weather used to exist, and was removed. This is a re-add of an old feature.

I'm hoping that snowing does what it did back in alpha, and that is put the layer of snow back on the ground, I want to build my snow fortresses again without having to deplete an entire biome to do so.

all this, and still im not interested in this game.. somehow the bug has really avoided me..

Zechnophobe:
Uh, you already can make snowballs from snow.

Edit: Also, weather used to exist, and was removed. This is a re-add of an old feature.

I may have started playing too late, but was it ever random like this? I remember having a biome that was constantly snowing. Never seen rain before, but maybe I was just too late?
But yeah, this sounds pretty cool. However, what I'm really looking forward to is a massive patch dedicated to fixing up some of the bugs. A lot of the bugs. It seems like Mojang are just gonna keep piling cool update on cool update, until their is a ridiculous amount of bugs to wade through. Which will be a pain to fix. But still, I am enjoying the cool updates.

Snow and rain have been in Minecraft for a while now.

Rain was first put in by Notch as a tech test ages ago (but never actually implemented), and if you generated a snowy map before the 1.2 biome update, snow fell on the entire thing.

Now we just need him to make snow always fall above the cloudline, so we can have snowy peaks with epic lava-castles on them.

Time to go build a giant glass enclosure around my creations made of wool. Just in case.

This is just re-introducing an element that already existed but got removed.

I know, I have a world that used to be covered in snow because it was snowing when I made the world.

I'm glad, but why did he remove it in the first place?

Fr]anc[is:

John Funk:

It already does that XD

http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Snowball

Shhhhhhh.

Easily Forgotten:
This is just re-introducing an element that already existed but got removed.

I know, I have a world that used to be covered in snow because it was snowing when I made the world.

I'm glad, but why did he remove it in the first place?

If memory serves it was an issue he was having while coding in biomes, he couldn't get the weather to act correctly. Also this appears to be a once in a while affair, where it rains/snows for a bit, the goes back to sunny, which is a nice change IMO.

Aw man, now my castles will smell like wet dogs.

Fayathon:
I'm hoping that snowing does what it did back in alpha, and that is put the layer of snow back on the ground, I want to build my snow fortresses again without having to deplete an entire biome to do so.

Agreed.

Mojang should just be the Google of game developers and keep all their products in "beta" until they decide to move on to something else.

Fayathon:
If memory serves it was an issue he was having while coding in biomes, he couldn't get the weather to act correctly. Also this appears to be a once in a while affair, where it rains/snows for a bit, the goes back to sunny, which is a nice change IMO.

Ah, fair enough.

And yeah, shifting weather would be nice, but even if it's just biome-set and constant, that's alright with me.

But can you make snowmen?

So it'll snow in arctic biomes again?!

And we can get rain too?!? SWEEEEEEET! Been waiting for this kind of update for quite a while.

(Waits for someone to complain about the mastermine "typo".)

brunothepig:
I may have started playing too late, but was it ever random like this? I remember having a biome that was constantly snowing. Never seen rain before, but maybe I was just too late?

There was rain as an effect long ago, but it didn't do anything, IIRC.

I swear if it rains on my current project, I will be most unhappy. I will sacrifice dogs by the hundreds until it stops!

Not that they need any help, the other night my tamed wolf walked right off the edge of my courtyard without hesitation. Survived the fall but I put it down anyway.

Possible typo: Is it supposed to be "mastermine" or "mastermind?"

Anyway, seems interesting enough, but it'd be more impressive if it wasn't a old feature being reintroduced.

samsonguy920:
I swear if it rains on my current project, I will be most unhappy. I will sacrifice dogs by the hundreds until it stops!

Not that they need any help, the other night my tamed wolf walked right off the edge of my courtyard without hesitation. Survived the fall but I put it down anyway.

It's a dog, not a horse, you don't have to shoot it.:)

But yeah, dogs can be rather dense. My fort's entrance passes by some lava pits I built. Invariably, every time I had them with me when I entered the fort one would hop onto the divider and decide the magma looked nice for a dip. So I made a side door that exits near the kennel and doesn't pass the pits.

It's been so long since I was in my snow world, I didn't even know that it no longer snowed, I've been too busy building a cathedral. Hmm, maybe I should go back to the snow world for a little bit.

Notch is pretty inspired today, just check his twitter, a lot of sweet ideas.

CAPTCHA: ongotent soil

samsonguy920:

I can do you one better not only did my wolf fall off a cliff it decided to take me down with it. In the end it survived I didn't :-(

Not to be the party pooper, but it must be a slow news day if the Escapist is doing a story on a proposed feature for one of the many updates to a game in beta. I wish you guys would do stories on features I plan on adding to games I make.

John Funk:
According to the game's mastermine Notch

I see what you did there. Either that was a pun (always dodgy) or a genuine slip, either way I like it.

As for weather systems? It sounds great in principle but I'm fairly sure it is going to make my laptop its bitch unless I can tone it right down; Minecraft at the moment barely runs.

I remember when it used to snow in an earlier version of Minecraft.

Eh, whatever. I like the idea of rain.

To have your hobby and passion make you a multi-millionare in your early 20's is everyone's dream. Depressing that I have no talent in anything.

Twilight_guy:
Not to be the party pooper, but it must be a slow news day if the Escapist is doing a story on a proposed feature for one of the many updates to a game in beta. I wish you guys would do stories on features I plan on adding to games I make.

The Escapist has a Minecraft obsession. Every little thing added to the game must be covered by the news even before it's released. So Toady can add all of this to Dwarf Fortress;

And never get a single mention, but the second Minecraft adds something trivial like beds it gets showered with attention.

Still, I'm surprised there was no mention of the pistons mod in this article. It may only be a user mod at the moment but it's pretty much confirmed to be coming soon since it adds so much potential to the game.

SirBryghtside:

Tharwen:
Snow and rain have been in Minecraft for a while now.

Rain was first put in by Notch as a tech test ages ago (but never actually implemented), and if you generated a snowy map before the 1.2 biome update, snow fell on the entire thing.

Now we just need him to make snow always fall above the cloudline, so we can have snowy peaks with epic lava-castles on them.

Oh no...

My epic base is right next to a snow biome, I hope none gets on my glass corridor...

Just pretend it's part of the design!

Alternatively, put torches in the corridor.

Weathers are back? Me like.

UPDATE

He's also adding thunder and might add strong winds to 1.5

http://twitter.com/notch/status/56004428339224577 = Thunder

http://twitter.com/JahKob/status/56005949034479616 = Strong Winds

John Funk:
..the game's mastermine Notch..

I'm going to assume this pun was intended, and I'm fine with that.

That's nice but I'm more interesting in when they're going to bother fixing half the shit they've put in, instead of adding more broken systems.

put out fires? My torches!

Internet Kraken:

Twilight_guy:

The Escapist has a Minecraft obsession. Every little thing added to the game must be covered by the news even before it's released. So Toady can add all of this to Dwarf Fortress;

And never get a single mention, but the second Minecraft adds something trivial like beds it gets showered with attention.

Still, I'm surprised there was no mention of the pistons mod in this article. It may only be a user mod at the moment but it's pretty much confirmed to be coming soon since it adds so much potential to the game.

Dwarf Fortress is great, unfortunately it's also extremely hard to get into. Minecraft is a lot more accessible - and our community loves it. We write about what our community is interested in.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here