Mojang Finally Sets Minecraft Release Date

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Mojang Finally Sets Minecraft Release Date

Mojang has joined the big boys by setting a holiday 2011 release date for the final version of Minecraft.

The holiday season of 2011 is going to be a big one for gaming. Already scheduled are the release dates for titles such as Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, Uncharted 3, and Mass Effect 3, not to mention whatever else will probably be announced at E3 this year. As of this week, another popular title will see its official release, but you're probably already playing it. I'm talking about Minecraft.

If you're confused, I'll be happy to explain. Markus "Notch" Persson began selling Minecraft in its alpha phase (at a discount) and has constantly been updating it since with new features such as Ghasts and weather (coming in version 1.5). The game moved to beta on December 20, 2010.

On November 11, 2011, Minecraft will be released in its final form. Theoretically, anyway. Notch writes on his blog that Mojang will continue to update Minecraft just as it always has. He says the full version "won't be very different at all from what the game was like a week ago." The date is more of a milestone so that Mojang can work towards implementing more integral features, such as an achievement-like quest system. Presumably, the game will also be raised to full price.

The unofficial tagline for Minecraft's release is "us too." November 11 was actually chosen because it's so close to other videogame and movie release dates. Minecraft has already made its bones, and is only sold digitally, so Mojang could really go "full version" with the game anytime it wanted to and not have it be in conflict with the rest of the industry. While Notch is downplaying the significance of the date, I'd be surprised if there isn't something special waiting for Minecraft players on November 11.

Well good, I'm gonna have to officially buy it before it goes for full price

As long as it has a quest/story/objective system implemented at launch I'll be happy.

(I'm quite happy with it as it is right now but I don't think he can rightfully call this a full release version without that being included)

I suspect on 11-11-11 I'll be playing Skyrim, not the latest version of Minecraft, but I'll have plenty of Minecraft hours logged between now and then. :)

Well I'll be bamboozled. I guess by now Holiday 2011 is pretty much all mapped out for nearly every gamer demographic in existance, huh? Well...maybe not strategy game enthusiasts but eh...

"us too" is a great tagline btw heheh.

I cant wait till its out i have been waiting to play this game for so long

It will be nice having a hard copy.
Yes I already own the game but I do loves me the hard copy when it comes to great games that deserve memorabilia.

I think they need to take one excellent user mod every 6mo and make it a setting in the game.

I'm sorry, but my allegiance lies with another game for that release date. Still, I'm likely to look Minecraft up afterwards.

Too much stuff this fall...It's almost as bad as 2008's bloated October/November.

Interesting. I'm still not touching it, but I like to see how well it does considering the time its going to be released.

Why are Bethesda and Mojang being so callous as to release Skyrim and Minecraft on Remembrance Day?

I hope the collector's edition comes with a complementary pickax.

CosmicCommander:
Why are Bethesda and Mojang being so callous as to release Skyrim and Minecraft on Remembrance Day?

Why not? Is there a law against releasing a product on Nov 11?

I can always just turn the volume down for a minute.

Zhukov:

Why not? Is there a law against releasing a product on Nov 11?

I can always just turn the volume down for a minute.

I just thought it should be a day dedicated to frugality and dignity to those lives lost. I'm not saying that they should be stopped from selling it, I just think they should show some respect. Seeing as it's a day to remember the dead, selling a product for leisure seems... Kinda iffy.

CosmicCommander:

What is this remembrance day you speak of?

Anyway, as a poster above me said, I'll be playing Skyrim that day.
But I reckon I'll have logged more than a few hours in Minecraft by then.

fenrizz:

The day the people of the former British Empire/modern Commonwealth remember the soldiers who died during and since the First World War. Many tend to observe a one minute silence during the day.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remembrance_Day

would anyone be offended if I said I wanted to wait for a console version.

If nothing else, I'd point out that Notch and the rest of Mojang are in and from Sweden, so the American "Remembrance Day" (never heard it called that, btw) probably has little resonance with them. I imagine they went with the date simply because so many other companies are as well.

CosmicCommander:

fenrizz:

The day the people of the former British Empire/modern Commonwealth remember the soldiers who died during and since the First World War. Many tend to observe a one minute silence during the day.

Ah, thank you.
I have heard of this before, but never knew what it was about.

I guess it is not so common where I am from.

i think that they all picked 11/11/11 because it looks cool, and its an easy day to remember.

Wait, it's almost finished? In that piece of shit state? There's literally nothing worth doing in the game. I figured they'd add something worthwhile first...it's just Garry's Mod with less to do and more repetition.

Tom Goldman:
November 11 was actually chosen because it's so close to other videogame and movie release dates.

Lies! Filthy lies! They just wanted to use 11/11/11 as their release date!

Plus, I don't believe this news. They never finish at the date they promise to.

CosmicCommander:

fenrizz:

Mojang is a Swedish developer, why would they observe a British holiday?

Rememberance Day is British, America calls it Veterans Day. Some also call it Armistice Day, but non of these are celebrated by Sweden according to the wikipedia article. Maybe it is because of their neutrality during the World Wars.

sheic99:

As said, it's an international thing. And yes, Sweden doesn't celebrate it. But I think Notch needs to think about his audience, as should Bethesda.

Cameron MacVean:
...so the American "Remembrance Day"...

Remembrance Day is a British holiday. The American Veteran's day is quite different.

Raiyan 1.0:
I understand your concern, but frankly I think they're doing this for the same reason I waited till 1/1/11 to join the Escapist.

Probably.

CosmicCommander:

I understand your concern, but frankly I think they're doing this for the same reason I waited till 1/1/11 to join the Escapist.

Great, now I can play Mass Effect 3 and Full Minecraft @ Holidays. Awesome!

CosmicCommander:

sheic99:

As said, it's an international thing. And yes, Sweden doesn't celebrate it. But I think Notch needs to think about his audience, as should Bethesda.

Most people aren't aware of other holidays from countries they don't live in. As for Bethesda, it's fairly unusual for retail releases to come out on Fridays. They're probably just going for the date.

CosmicCommander:

Because every country will have to think about Commonwealth holidays >.>. I see what you mean with Bethesda but why bring Mojäng into it?

Edited; found more countries that celebrated it.

Onyx Oblivion:
Too much stuff this fall...It's almost as bad as 2008's bloated October/November.

Oh that was such a wonderful Christmas... :) good memories

kebab4you:
Because every country will have to think about Commonwealth holidays >.>. I see what you mean with Bethesda but why bring Mojäng into it?

I just think Mojang may have made a mistake with the date, that's all. A bit of market research never goes amiss.

CosmicCommander:

kebab4you:

I just think Mojang may have made a mistake with the date, that's all. A bit of market research never goes amiss.

Hey Cosmic, as a British citizen I can see where you're coming from as the same thought crossed my mind when I initially saw the date, but to be honest when you think about it, do you realise how many other countries celebrate national holidays and events on other days of the year?

It'd be arrogant for us to demand a Scandinavian developer move their release date for the benefit of Brits.

A day is a day is a day...

CosmicCommander:

kebab4you:

Tell that to Lotte Confectionery and Glico.

CosmicCommander:

because thats a dumb reason hell i dont even rember it til you said somthing but I own minecraft already but Skyrim is a day one buy

Hungry Donner:
As long as it has a quest/story/objective system implemented at launch I'll be happy.

(I'm quite happy with it as it is right now but I don't think he can rightfully call this a full release version without that being included)

I suspect on 11-11-11 I'll be playing Skyrim, not the latest version of Minecraft, but I'll have plenty of Minecraft hours logged between now and then. :)

on 11-11-11, I will be playing Skyrim AND minecraft. at the same time.

though, I wouldnt see the point really, I already have minecraft.......

I guess so I could make in minecraft what I see in Skyrim

OT: Nice to tell us a due date for Minecraft, because lets face it, people who want to play minecraft would of by now already bought it, thus not exactly a "release date".

Am I the only one that thinks that 11/11/11 is far to early of a date for them to have fixed all the major bugs and design flaws present in this game? They really have to churn out tons of updates to even get close to doing so. Given what I've seen so far I just don't see that happening. I imagine Minecraft won't really be that much different in terms of development post-release, but I hope they at least have the integrity to fix all the major bugs before saying it's "finished".

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.