Sony: Nintendo Handhelds Aren't for Self-Respecting Adults

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Damn... Sony can bash their opponents, but this whole "X is only for kids" thing just outright pisses me off.

I can sit in a busy public place playing Hello Kitty on a pink GBA, as long as the game's fun I don't give a crap. That doesn't mean I have no self-respect, it means that this Tretton guy is an insecure asshole.

GeneWard:
Ahem.
GENTLEMEN?

This, basically. It's a crazy inflammatory state that I couldn't agree with less. But I mean, as denizens of the internet, shouldn't we be used to this by now?

Is Sony going with the "Paris Hilton" advertising?
I mean, they try to look as retarded and stupid as possible.

At least they are loyal to their lately image. Idiots who makes gamers look bad. Just a bit more and they are in the "EA" category.

ITT: people less angry at sony for directly insulting Nintendo and the people who play their games than they are at david cage for saying games need to innovate [/minor rant]

Seriously this was a stupid thing to do. What did they hope to gain by making this comment, I seriously don't get that? This is not professional wrestling. Trash talking is not to your benefit.

Sir John the Net Knight:

rokkolpo:

Sir John the Net Knight:
Cue Nintendo vs. Sony fanboy skirmish...

More like every gamer vs. one dick.

Not every gamer is a Nintendo fanboy.

It's not about fanboy's, he's saying every gamer over 20 is (more or less) a failure when playing a DS.

I find that offensive and idiotic, and I don't have a DS and am younger than 20.

Pokemon FTW 200+ million units sold >.> Sony is just jealous.

Genesis does!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7nsBoqJ6s8

Nintendo is the company that gets bashed the most. Sometimes I think they deserve it.

I am a self-respecting 22 year old who recently took a plane ride while playing Pokemon Black on my Nintendo DS.

Go fuck yourself Sony.

Tom Goldman:
"Our view of the 'Game Boy experience' is that it's a great babysitting tool, something young kids do on airplanes, but no self-respecting twenty-something is going to be sitting on an airplane with one of those," Tretton said. "He's too old for that."

Want a bet. I'm a self respecting twenty-something, and you know what I did on a 12 hour flight to South Africa? I played Pokemon Diamond on my DS for most of the flight, and did the same on the way back!

Also got a 3DS on release day and I'm loving it.

Sounds like he's just trying to incite another console war. (Then again I can't blame him, he does work for Sony)

Nintendo: We don't want to say anything that could be interpreted as dickish about the NGP.

Sony: UR PLATFURM SUCKS 0L0L0L0L0L0L0L0 GO PLAY WITH UR TOYS

Stay classy, Jack Tretton.

Just for kids Sony?

I believe several people would like to have several words with you... With one of them being

Objection!

Ouch, someone seems a bit bitter that they're handheld lost in the war, and will most likely lose in the next one.
Seriously, that seems like a pretty desperate sounding attack. Having nothing else to say, they're reduced to the same strategy that kids on Xbox Live use when bashing games that aren't rated M.

rokkolpo:

Sir John the Net Knight:

rokkolpo:

More like every gamer vs. one dick.

It's not about fanboy's, he's saying every gamer over 20 is (more or less) a failure when playing a DS.

I find that offensive and idiotic, and I don't have a DS and am younger than 20.

I've already stated my opinion that Tretton is a spin doctor and should be taken to task for saying dumb shit like that.

Sir John the Net Knight:

Oh, wait wait wait! Ahem...

TWO HUNDRED AND FOURTY-NINE US DOLLERS!

God, I've been waiting to do that for years.

You don't have to be a Nintendo fanboy to be offended by Jack's comments, or to just see that they were stupid comments to make in the first place.

Isn't he conflating the device and its games? Both devices are similar and preform similar functions in many ways. In addition there really isn't any discernible item that affects maturity in the hardware. You can make the arguments that the games lack maturity but the thing about games is that they are fluid in the argument here since different games can be produced and quickly change the climate of the market while hardware is more slow to change and more age-neutral.

Unless Sony has some killer feature in the NGP or a must-have title, they're not going to dent the Nintendo juggernaut, no matter how overpriced and arbitrary the 3DS is. I'd call it the second coming of the Virtual Boy but it actually performs like it's supposed to.

Besides, when has bashing the competition ever helped sell something in the history of the industry? Not often, that's for sure. The mid/late-90s Sega Saturn commercials come to mind... they dropped a PSX off a building, "Fly PlayThing, fly." And there was one of riflemen launching a Nintendo 64 into the air and shooting it. Hell go further back. "Genesis Does What Nintendon't" anyone? They weren't doing too well with that until the original Sonic came out.

Lump Phillips, the original Atari, 3DO, and Neo-Geo into that group with Sega and you should have a prime understanding of what NOT to do with your products.

hahahaha, good one.

Wait you were being serious? Then you are clearly stupid.

You mean, an executive in a gaming company saying inflammatory things against their competitors and praising their own product?

Get the hell out!

Now you're gonna tell me you can see 3D without glasses.

MADNESS I TELL YOU!!!

mjc0961:

Sir John the Net Knight:

Oh, wait wait wait! Ahem...

TWO HUNDRED AND FOURTY-NINE US DOLLERS!

God, I've been waiting to do that for years.

You don't have to be a Nintendo fanboy to be offended by Jack's comments, or to just see that they were stupid comments to make in the first place.

I do think his comments are stupid. What I question is how people think similar shit that Reggie Fils-Aime says is not stupid. And my apologies for the little joke there, but I did buy a PS3 because I like the brand. So the constantly caterwauling about it's price tag got on my nerves. Still I did wait until the price went down.

How full of yourself can you get? Yikes.

I am an self-respecting adult, and I play my 3DS in public. (Airport/airplane mostly)

You know what Sony? Fuck you. I love my DS, and I get some amazing gaming experiences out of it. I'm a self-respecting adult, and I would and have busted out my DS on the plane, on the bus, wherever. Don't tell me it's just for kids. You're insulting your prime customer base.

I'm a self-respecting adult who plays the 3DS. Yes, I know the killer apps are months away, but I know they'll be worth it.

On a side note: Wow, people have been making fun of Nintendo for years now. Why is that ever since the 90s, hating Nintendo makes you "Cool"? And the worse part? Instead of that notion going away, ever since the Wii came out, it's pretty much gone from "Hating Nintendo makes you cool" to "NOT Hating Nintendo means you're hurting the industry".

Tretton,

Stop pointing the loaded gun at my foot.

Signed,
Sony

Soooo.

My 50 year old father who regularly enjoys playing on his 360 [He's currently slogging through Red Dead Redemption, he loves Westerns haha], doesn't respect himself as an adult because he also likes to play a bit of Proffesor Layton, and likes to do puzzles on his DS?

Get bent Sony. You are proving yourselves to be the least mature games marketeers out of the lot of them. Nothing but constant mudslinging, and its beginning to wear thin. Try getting a different style of press that doesn't involve you pulling down your trousers and trying to urinate on the competition. You 5 year olds.

"Our view of the 'Game Boy experience' is that it's a great babysitting tool, something young kids do on airplanes, but no self-respecting twenty-something is going to be sitting on an airplane with one of those," Tretton said. "He's too old for that."

*Hides 3DS and SSF4 behind back*

CLEVERSLEAZOID:
Soooo.

My 50 year old father who regularly enjoys playing on his 360 [He's currently slogging through Red Dead Redemption, he loves Westerns haha], doesn't respect himself as an adult because he also likes to play a bit of Proffesor Layton, and likes to do puzzles on his DS?

Your dad sounds awesome, haha. My dad is 62 and hasn't played a video game since "Golf" on the NES a couple decades ago.

wow he really said that?! quite the facepalm there..
expply contitering how the DS is king of the handheld kingdom and quite frankly the PSP is utter crap. I have never owned one but the few ppl i have known would often grumble about its lack of games and fragility. also

they need to make their own handheld better before they can even consiter talking smack about other handhelds

RollForInitiative:
That's odd. I'm a self-respecting adult and I use my DS, DSi, and 3DS plenty. I'm not really following the logic here. I play it in public; in waiting rooms, on airplanes, and similar.

Same here. I have a feeling Tretton was making this face when he was in the interview.

Bullshit. Sony just doesn't have the handheld market and are trying to steer the market towards the more "adult" PSP.

Sir John the Net Knight:
Cue Nintendo vs. Sony fanboy skirmish...

Edit: I have a query. Tretton says stupid shit and people generally whack at him, which is not really not much a crime as I see it. But when Reggie comes out to bloviate, everyone around here gives him a free pass, although I'd say what Reggie vomit out is usually five times stupider than most of these spin doctors.

Honestly, I probably answered this question with the original post.

I second this.

Even being a nintendo owner myself (including wii, no I don't own an Xbox) Reggie has said some really stupid things.

It reminds me of Nintendo's E3 press conference last year. It was... UGH!!! Normally I just watch Nintendo's stuff to see what they're finally going to do, but I checked out Microsoft and Sony's press conferences for the hell of it.

It was like going from a business meeting to a fucking party! Except that you had to look at the party from the outside since you didn't own a $300 pass to get in.

That being said...

REGGIE SUCKS!!! But seriously, it feels like he's got about as much connection to Nintendo as Shiggy's dog. He always spews nonsense and can't really speak for the company as a whole.

He does realize he's throwing heavy insults towards the people that he's trying to sell his products to right?

This is all well and good, Mr Tretton, BUT WILL IT BLEND?

Well he's right. Although the same goes for his handheld...

I am 23 and I will continue to play my DS in public, and I'll up the ante by playing exclusively Pokemon games in it. I don't give a shit what random strangers think of me.

The PSP was an abomination, and I don't see how the NGP will be any different. It's cool, but in the end the DS is better by a pretty wide margin.

It's time for a good old fashioned jerk off.[1]

OT: Yeah...

*continues playing Pokemon and Starfox*

Moo...

[1] That sounds sooooooo wrong.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password: