BioWare: Mass Effect MMO "Makes Sense"

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

BioWare: Mass Effect MMO "Makes Sense"

BioWare's Casey Hudson says that an MMO would suit the Mass Effect universe well.

A multiplayer version of Mass Effect has been a rumored BioWare project for a while, but only just now is the studio starting to admit that something might be in the works. In the latest issue of Game Informer, Mass Effect project director Casey Hudson doesn't confirm any such project, but he says that an MMO would fit the franchise.

"We've been trying to think of a way that makes sense for people to experience Mass Effect with their friends," Hudson said. "We haven't yet come up with a way to do that, so we don't have anything to announce at this time, but obviously multiplayer is something we want to do more of in the future as a company."

Hudson also said that an MMO would "make sense" for the Mass Effect universe. "I think Mass Effect has that quality to it," he added. "If you get rid of the Reapers and win that, wouldn't it be amazing to just live on the Citadel or just take a ship to Omega? That makes sense."

BioWare is already working on Star Wars: The Old Republic, so expecting the studio to have another MMO in development at this time seems like a stretch. However, when Old Republic calms down, perhaps the Mass Effect MMO is up next.

However, that doesn't mean BioWare is ignoring a multiplayer Mass Effect title until an MMO is in the cards. A Call of Duty-style Mass Effect multiplayer title was rumored in late 2010, and still could come to be. Whether it be MMO, shooter, or Mako racing sim, it sounds like BioWare is going to give us multiplayer Mass Effect sometime after Mass Effect 3 is released in 2011.

Source: VG247

Eh...I really hope not. Or, rather, I'd be ok with that so long as the Mass Effect universe is continued in some other respect as well. I'm not one for MMOs, but I love ME.

Yes because an open universe with a myriad of alien species, only two of which having females, makes perfect sense.

Though, I suppose ME already has the aesthetic of a generic Sci-fi MMO, so why the hell not.

Tdc2182: No it does not.

Hm, EVE Online meets Tabula Rasa?

But for fuck's sake Bioware, put less fucking dialouge! Yes I know an immersive RPG should be heavily story-based, but when I'm sucking up to the chick in my party 80% of the time I play, with the rest evenly divided between walking and fighting, the game needs mroe combat!

*EDIT*
FYI, I was talking about Dragon Age 2. And I only rented it and played he first like 3 hours of it, so Idon't know about the rest of the game.
And PLEASE stop quoting me!

This "Game Informer" sounds like quite the magazine. As if one could read it and be informed about games. I'm sure they love people re-posting their articles before the magazine even ships.

As for the story, a mass effect MMO could certainly have it's charms, they've built up the universe as such that I'd love to take a stroll on the citadel or see things only mentioned in news articles like salarian cuisine fleshed out. Though I fear a decline in quality when you're going from creating dozens of locations to hundreds or even thousands.

Add to that I'm sick of mmo's. If you're going to do that, don't stop releasing single-player games.

DragonLord Seth:

But for fuck's sake Bioware, put less fucking dialouge! Yes I know an immersive RPG should be heavily story-based, but when I'm sucking up to the chick in my party 80% of the time I play, with the rest evenly divided between walking and fighting, the game needs mroe combat!

I like dialogue personally seth. If I wanted a game with less talking and more shooting I'd just pick up one of the dozens of call of duty or gears of war clones.

oooooooooh, yeeeeeaaaaaaah... not big on that idea. I love Mass Effect and it makes sense to make it an MMO, but I'm not really an MMO fan.

Eh...I really hope not. Or, rather, I'd be ok with that so long as the Mass Effect universe is continued in some other respect as well. I'm not one for MMOs, but I love ME.

This is basically it. I probably wouldn't play an MMO, but so long as they expand the series with other games as well, I'd be fine with it.

DragonLord Seth:

Pshh, go out and play Dragon Age 2. Its almost the inverse, where EVERY FUCKING QUEST is a hackfest. Even the sidequests. There's no variety at all.

Dear Casey Hudson:

My name is Kalezian, and I have played and subsequently loved Mass Effect since day 1.

Let me say this, not lightly at all........

but:

I will give you all of my money for a proper Mass Effect MMO.

Sincerely, Kalezian

As much as I love the idea and would totally play this instead of TOR, I just can't see them doing it simply because it will in some sense compete with their own product (the aforementioned TOR).

I could see this working. I still wouldn't buy it because I will never keep paying to play a game I already bought, but still.

RatRace123:
oooooooooh, yeeeeeaaaaaaah... not big on that idea. I love Mass Effect and it makes sense to make it an MMO, but I'm not really an MMO fan.

This is basically it. I probably wouldn't play an MMO, but so long as they expand the series with other games as well, I'd be fine with it.

Yeah. Although, given that they making an MMO in lieu of making more Single Player KOTOR games, my hopes are not high.

Allow me to show my thoughts on a multiplayer Mass Effect/Mass Effect MMO:

MEH

Especially when that multiplayer game is rumored to be like Call of Duty. Turns that meh into an even bigger meh.

RatRace123:

So, in other words, exactly opposite of what Blizzard did with WoW. Which still annoys me sometimes. Though to be fair, Mass Effect is planned to be a trilogy - it's not going to continue forever, and an MMO seems to be a decent way to keep using the world while not continuing the main franchise. After all, anything other than the main trilogy likely won't have Shepard, and you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!

I would almost certainly play one of these. I'd like to play as a Turian or a Krogan, and it might be nice to play around in the ME universe without something of galaxy-dooming importance going on.

Soviet Heavy:

DragonLord Seth:

Pshh, go out and play Dragon Age 2. Its almost the inverse, where EVERY FUCKING QUEST is a hackfest. Even the sidequests. There's no variety at all.

I WAS talking about DA2. Ok yeah I rented it and had to go on a roadtrip like 2 days after I got it, so I don't know if theres more combat later on. But still, I was getting really bored really fucking fast, I only rented it because they didn't have Just Cause 2 then.

If they let me play as a damn Elcor, then I have no problem with there being an MMO based on it.

Ah, who am I kidding? I'm too cheap to pay subscription fees for any MMO.

Knights of the Old Republic was supposed to have a 3rd installment. It got canned in favor of an MMO. They'll release ME3, but if they do an MMO after that, there won't be an ME4.

I'm not going to say yes or no to this idea until I see the reception Star Wars: The Old Republic gets but at the moment I'm torn.

I'd love the idea of flying around in my own shuttle joining the Spectres, C-Sec or Blue Suns and being a Drell or Geth (Yay Thane & Legion) however I'm also worried about the weight of expectations that would be on Bioware with this from its fanbase and them not having enough development time to fit these expectations making it a sub-standard game and missing out on a golden oppotunity.

I like the idea the Universe they built for Mass Effect has everything it needs for a solid MMO but if they are going to do it they best not rush it like DA-2 or I think I'd cry.

I would play a Mako-racing game. I love driving around in the Mako, even if mountain planets are intensely difficult to navigate. Plus it can jump; that's awesome.

YES!!! Please make an MMO for this universe, but allow us to pick our species, I would totally want to be either:
A Geth
or a
Turian

If I can't pick either I will be a bit dissapointed but I'd still play it.

With a universe as large as Mass Effects is and could be, it only makes sense.
I want to play as an elcor =3

mindlesspuppet:
Yes because an open universe with a myriad of alien species, only two of which having females, makes perfect sense.

Though, I suppose ME already has the aesthetic of a generic Sci-fi MMO, so why the hell not.

Well, one race could be nothing but Female Night Elves! They got the skin tone and dance down at least!

But gods sake man... a Mass Effect MMO? Really...? Let me guess, most likely it'll be based in one of the 50k year periods of the past, with a very, very Human-ish race as well as several others.

Because playing as a Turian would be the only thing anyone would want to do...
or female Qurian...

aldowyn:
So, in other words, exactly opposite of what Blizzard did with WoW. Which still annoys me sometimes. Though to be fair, Mass Effect is planned to be a trilogy - it's not going to continue forever, and an MMO seems to be a decent way to keep using the world while not continuing the main franchise. After all, anything other than the main trilogy likely won't have Shepard, and you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!

I would almost certainly play one of these. I'd like to play as a Turian or a Krogan, and it might be nice to play around in the ME universe without something of galaxy-dooming importance going on.

Oh I know that the series can't go on, and I fully expect the trilogy to end Shepard's story. I'm just hoping when they do decide to expand the series, they don't focus solely on an MMO.
I'd personally like a huge open galaxy game where you can play as whatever species you want and just do stuff, become a bounty hunter or join a gang or an army or become a pirate or get inducted into the Spectres, etc...

Basically an MMO without the other people and a monthly subscription.

A Mass Effect MMO would be awesome. As long as I can play a non-heretic Geth (Legion).

Still, people believe that Bioware is the patron saint of good stories and gaming, and that EA is the culprit here...pfft, that ship sailed ages ago lads.

I see a lot of potential for developing the Mass Effect universe. I can see the potential in them developing it as an MMORPG project, but with "Old Republic" out there, I can't see it coming anytime in the near future. If "Old Republic" fails, then they aren't likely to be given the development capital to try a similar scale of game for a while. If "Old Republic" succeeds then we're probably talking a 5-6 year life cycle at a minimum since it's success is being judged in WoW-like terms.

I agree with RatRace123 about what would be a cool root for them to take, which is pretty much an updated "Space Rangers" set in the Mass Effect Universe. Of course by definition that's not the multiplayer game they are talking about.

Right now I'd think the most likely avenue for them to go in is for them to try another Facebook "MMO" like they did with "Dragon Age: Legends". Of course the idea of that kind of underwhelms me, even if I think that one isn't too bad for a Facebook game (I stop in to do some moves once in a while).

It would makes sense if it went the star wars galaxies route. You know, player societies that isn't centered around being "the one" but an average joe living his life with customizable homes, vehicles, and buildings. Maybe even player cities with player governments.

Good, create a place for all those people who liked Mass Effect II to go, then focus on making a decent single player experience like back in the first game.
Go on and create your CoD ripoff, sell out like you know you want to, Bioware.
Then after all this retarded money grabing you might actually make Mass Effect III good, rather than that travesty of an expansion you guys called a sequel and made me pay $120 for.
-Tabs<3-

I hope the MMO city doesn't become the place where my favorite BioWare franchises go to die...

DragonLord Seth:

Soviet Heavy:

DragonLord Seth:

I WAS talking about DA2. Ok yeah I rented it and had to go on a roadtrip like 2 days after I got it, so I don't know if theres more combat later on. But still, I was getting really bored really fucking fast, I only rented it because they didn't have Just Cause 2 then.

Well then don't expect much more variety. You have two types of quests: Go kill people quests, or "bring home this stupid piece of crap" quests. That is it. Running and hacking.

Daedalus1942:
Good, create a place for all those people who liked two to play, and go back to creating a decent single player RPG experience.
Create a CoD ripoff, sell out Bioware, like you know you want to.
Then maybe you will focus on making Mass Effect III actually decent, and nothing like that expansion travesty that wasn't even a sequel.
-Tabs<3-

i imagine you must have sever neck problems from what i have read from theat post.

joebear15:

Daedalus1942:
Good, create a place for all those people who liked two to play, and go back to creating a decent single player RPG experience.
Create a CoD ripoff, sell out Bioware, like you know you want to.
Then maybe you will focus on making Mass Effect III actually decent, and nothing like that expansion travesty that wasn't even a sequel.
-Tabs<3-

i imagine you must have sever neck problems from what i have read from theat post.

What...? :S
That makes no sense whatsoever.
-Tabs<3-

Sort of want? To be frank, I love ME and Bioware but i'm not much of an MMORPG fan (Love MMOFPS's though). The whole "WoW" setup bores the ever-living fuck out of me.

I played Mass Effect as Commander Shepard, a man that went against all odds and brought together a small team of elite soldiers, each more interesting than the last.

Except the taurian. He was the best, and you got him close to the beginning. But I digress.

I played as this stalwart captain, the man that fought against death itself, defeated the Geth, and tried to overcome his crippling disability of only being able to control two companions at a time. The single man that would take the fight to the enemies, and would not only be victorious, but will do it with style.

In other words, I played as a hero.

I do not want to play as a random person in the universe. I want to be the warrior. I don't want to have to group up with a tank and healer to be competent. I want to be the savior. I don't want to collect fifty people to take down a boss. If my comrades go down, I want to take them on myself.

In other words, I want to be the hero.

And that's why single player is really the only way to go, eh?

mindlesspuppet:

Human
Turian
Quarian
Drell
Krogan
Salarian
Asari (if you count them all being female, or at least looking female)

And those are just the main races. I have to ask: have you actually played any of the Mass Effect games? If you have, you might want to give them another run and spend more time talking with your various squadmates. There are a hell of a lot more than two species that have females.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here