Star Wars Fan Plans to Build Life-Size AT-AT

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Star Wars Fan Plans to Build Life-Size AT-AT

Mike Koehler doesn't have project funding or construction experience, but he wants to make this life-sized AT-AT walker a reality, dammit.

It's a sad fact that these days, the USA just can't cut it in the global giant robot race. Japan has its Gundam statue and Tetsujin 28-go, South Korea is still planning its gargantuan Taekwon V, and even China has that ... thing ... in Sichuan province. But what do we have here in the States? Nothing, nada, zilch - unless the Statue of Liberty was really a coverup this entire time, that is. (Even then, it'd be on the French).

Star Wars fan Mike Koehler dreams of changing that. He dreams of channeling nerd power into a force for good. He dreams of an AT-AT for America.

In his manifesto linked above, Koehler calls upon the nerds of America to harness their "brain power, [their] manufacturing prowess, [their] organizational skills and [their] geek-fueled eye for detail" to create a life-sized replica of the AT-AT walkers from The Empire Strikes Back. He admits that he has no mechanical aptitude and no funding to get off the ground, but that's what group efforts are for. Plus, come on - wouldn't a full-scale AT-AT be awesome?

Koehler's vision goes beyond the simple statues we see in Asia, though - he wants his AT-AT to be fully functional. I think that may be dreaming a bit too hard there, Mike, but don't let me stop you.

Speaking with The Force.net, the Oklahoma City-based father of three said that he hoped to have "several build teams across the country" who would then come together wherever they decided to put the damn thing together.

According to the AT-AT for America blog, funding site Kickstarter will be taking donations for Koehler's dream soon enough. But how much does an Imperial walker actually cost? Those things can't be inexpensive.

Plus, if you ever actually did finish it, you know that Japan's giant Gundam would just come to life, fly over here and cut off its head or something.

Ah well, best of luck to Mr. Koehler. You can keep up with the AT-AT project at AT-AT for America. Because yeah, as impractical as it would be? It would be pretty damn cool.

In my head I'm seeing a collection of blooper reel moments of bad DIY and explosions with wacky sound effects.

If really hope he succeeds. Then we can make it fight Japan's giant gundam model, even though we would probably lose because come on, its a freaking gundam.

Full functional? Does that mean guns to...? if so...i see world domination...

But still sounds awesome, hope he gets it done =D

To be fair I'd pay to go and see a life size on. That would be awesome,

Even if he does succeed, it would still only be the second best walker America has ever seen.

I am behind this project 110%! Especially if we can get the blasters operational.

Japan's Gundam can move it's head. This AT-AT is supposed to be fully fucking functional.

Yeah....this NEEDS to be built. Even if it's all a giant nerd-off, I still want to see America succeed at something, and if that something is building life-size mechs, then god damnit we need some mechs!

Do it.

Straight up, do that shit.

That would be basically the coolest thing in the whole world. And to make it fully functional? That's every star wars nerds dream.

Now to make a fully operational death star...

The part of me that would support this project died the day the Special Editions hit theaters. Let's skip the AT-AT and make a 200 ft statue of Plinkett.

The.Bard:
The part of me that would support this project died the day the Special Editions hit theaters. Let's skip the AT-AT and make a 200 ft statue of Plinkett.

That's just... so very sad. I'm so sorry for you, man.

OT: This would be awesome, if I had money I'd donate!

This has got to be a joke. To be entirely honest, we already have one, or we did. Outside the Star Wars ride (Star Tours) in MGM they had a giant Imperial Walker, I remember because I got yelled at for climbing up on it's foot. :)

Rest assured, we probably fired the first shot in giant amusement park robots, since I think that one pre-dates the Gundams and such in other theme parks, even if the later constructions are probably actually bigger, and of course are newer.

This is not to say that I wouldn't like to see more things like this built in the right places, they are quite fun just by their very existance.

I went on vacation to Universal not too long ago, and don't remember seeing a giant robot there, however it did occur to me that since Disney owns the rights to Marvel right now, when the contract expires for the "Marvel Island of Adventure", Universal will probably be looking for something else to put into that spot. Perhaps then we will see the world's pre-eminant giant robot statue, at least for a while. It does depend on what theme they go with though.

Feh. If the Robocop statue was such a big problem, I can't see the At At doing any better. How big are those things anyway?

That would be totally cool if it happened.

Yes, oh yes I would love to see it done, if only to answer the question that has been on my mind for nearly 20 years, how the hell do you get out of one of those things?

The.Bard:

Why don't we make a clone of Plinkett, and make him operate the AT-AT? He's in a wheelchair, so he can be permabound to the interface.

I really hope he succeeds, I really want to see a life size AT-AT.

Wouldn't it be great if they do find a way for it to be fully functional, and the military buys the plans off them?

Well, maybe awesome is the wrong word.

CosmicCommander:

The.Bard:

Why don't we make a clone of Plinkett, and make him operate the AT-AT? He's in a wheelchair, so he can be permabound to the interface.

Ooooooh. You, sir, have my attention. Can we put a human-sized replica of "the Flanneled One" on the ground screaming his bearded head off, a mere inches away from being crushed by AT-Plinkett's ginormous robot-hoof???

You need to get some experience before you make something as big as an AT-AT. Begin with a simple AT-RT, or an AT-TE if you're looking for stability. then, try an advanced design, like the AT-ST or AT-OT. When you're ready, and only then, build an AT-AT. Make sure you put the batteries in the right way, or it might overload. Also, flexible knee joints. You'd be surprised by the number of AT-AT's that fell because they couldn't climb up a small ramp.

The.Bard:
Ooooooh. You, sir, have my attention. Can we put a human-sized replica of "the Flanneled One" on the ground screaming his bearded head off, a mere inches away from being crushed by AT-Plinkett's ginormous robot-hoof???

Let's.

Few times before in my life have I said this and meant it so hard: God Bless America!

This is what it means to be an American, to feel the drive to be first, to be biggest, and to be innovative. I thought we'd lost that drive. Nice to see some people still feel it.

Screw scientists, it's people like this guy who have the ambition to collanise the stars!

manythings:
In my head I'm seeing a collection of blooper reel moments of bad DIY and explosions with wacky sound effects.

Don't forget the Benny Hill theme!

this is where I'd look the man in the eyes and say..."follow your heart, and NEVER give up on your dreams!"

snagli:
You need to get some experience before you make something as big as an AT-AT. Begin with a simple AT-RT, or an AT-TE if you're looking for stability. then, try an advanced design, like the AT-ST or AT-OT. When you're ready, and only then, build an AT-AT. Make sure you put the batteries in the right way, or it might overload. Also, flexible knee joints. You'd be surprised by the number of AT-AT's that fell because they couldn't climb up a small ramp.

the AT-TE is a good one to begin with. stable, smaller, but still incredibly intimidating

As long as they don't paint an american flag on the side and put bumper stickers on the back I'm fine with America building massive war machines...So very jealous, might steal it once built...

That is so awesome. But I think a fully functional one is a little to ambitious.

On behalf of the French people, I'd like to thank John "Awesome Name" Funk for giving credits to France for the Statue of Liberty. However, if we're talking giant robots, feel free to use the freakingly awesome giant robot spider we built : http://pinktentacle.com/2009/04/giant-robot-spider-in-yokohama-pics-video/

With love,

La France

can i donate money to this cause? hold on. *calls red cross* hi it seems i will not be able to donate this year my money will be going to someone who really needs it.

Wouldn't this thing fall over in a strong gust of wind? I mean, the damn thing is like what, 100ft tall?
An AT-TE from the Clone Wars would be easier to build since it is lower to the ground and would be very hard for wind to blow it over since it has six legs instead of four.
Anyway, it would still be kick-ass-cool if the guy could actually build it.
And seeing as how our government is spending billions on stupid shit, we might as well do something interesting and fun.

If I was rich I would personally fund every cent of this.

Really? fandom to that level?

Well although its insanely impractical, it can and basically has been done on a smaller scale

So manufacturing basically a larger version of this, yeah, its doable. (prolly have to give up its speed and stability for being basically a garage project.)

Heh.

Has anybody else noticed that an AT-AT would be useless as a mobile weapons platform?

Look at it's legs: they only have hinge joints; it can't turn.

At all. It can only move in a straight line.

Hell I can donate a few bucks. but Why think so small how about a fully operational Deathstar?

I see what you're saying, but you know what would be even better? Metal Gear Rex. I would dress up like Snake and visit that thing, just so I could stand out front of it and go "METAL GEAR?!"

Cheesebob:
Feh. If the Robocop statue was such a big problem, I can't see the At At doing any better. How big are those things anyway?

Twenty Meters High, and it should be able to travel at 60 Kilometers per hour over flat terrain.

Yes, I looked that up.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or