Aperture Requests Funding for Portal 2 Long Fall Boot

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Aperture Requests Funding for Portal 2 Long Fall Boot

The origin of Chell's boots from Portal is explained in this Aperture Science video.

After offering us Aperture Science investment opportunities for panels, co-op robots, and turrets, Cave Johnson is back with a fourth that any Portal 2 fan should be familiar with: the Long Fall Boot. If you're going to be making your way through test chambers, it's a must have.

Managing velocity while having two "quantum space holes" at your disposal isn't the easiest task, but this "foot-based suit of armor" makes it so you don't have to worry about such things. You may have been wondering what main character Chell was wearing on her legs in Portal, and now you know.

The boots are "expensive as hell," but as part of the equipment necessary to stop a sentient AI from taking over the world, or whatever GLaDOS had/has planned, they're a worthy investment. The video also gives us a look at Chell when she was just an Aperture Science test subject, and she pretty much kicked ass back then too.

Chell, and her boots, will return on April 19 when Portal 2 is released for the PS3, Xbox 360, and PC. In the meantime, you might want to follow the content coming out of the Portal 2 ARG.

Tom Goldman:
The video also gives us a look at Chell when she was just an Aperture Science test subject, and she pretty much kicked ass back then too.

Actually, this is what she looks like in Portal 2, since A) her jumpsuit is half open and B) she doesn't wear boots in Portal, just the springs.

Can I shake my Borderlands addiction in time for Portal 2?

I mean, I'm addicted to punching/shutgunning things in the face as Brick.

I'm getting the PS3 version, to see how they magically pull off Steamworks.

Glad to see Aperture when straight to the sole of the problem.

Chell is the new Samus

Damn you Valve and your amusing trailers that wants me to get the game even more...

Note: the sudden absence of a steady whirring sound may indicate a Miniature Black Hole Cooling Fan Battery failure. Quickly disassemble the Ring Singularity Harness, pry apart the upper and lower Ring Singularity Rings, and gently remove the Event Horizon Estimation Wheel. Then, while running directly away from the device, use the Wheel to precisely determine an estimated minimum safe stopping distance.

that......was.......awesome

7 more days.....just 7 more days....

goddamn it wheres a TARDIS when you need one =(

I really much applaud Valve's new animation department. I don't know if it's the inclusion of ex-Pixar and ex-WETA workshop employees or just slightly higher budgets, but the quality of their animated shorts has grown drastically since the days of the "Meet the..." videos.

Just one week left. Can't wait.

HankMan:

YEEEAAAAHHHHHH!!

So glad Valve decided to make their own trailers, these have been genius. Shame it's the last one before Portal 2 (I think).

Looks like those boots weren't made for walking

you know, I always wondered how I could fall 50 stories and be fine. now I know.

The fact that Portal 2 is being released soon makes me sad because this ad campaign will be at its end :(

Speakercone:
you know, I always wondered how I could fall 50 stories and be fine. now I know.

Canonical explanation is up there.

Real reason is that fall damage is for real life wimps who remember that legs can break if you fall more than 5 meters while making a game.

Anyway, this is my second favorite advert after Bot Trust.

the last bit looks amazing. just like everything Valve makes

I love these adverts. So delightful and charming.

HankMan:

http://instantrimshot.com/classic/?sound=crickets

castlewise:
Chell is the new Samus

Yup, and we all know what happened to the old Samus. *sniff* DAMN YOU TEAM NINJA!

The "we're between banks" made me laugh. Though, to be honest, the whole trailer (or whatever you call it) was cool and funny.
I really want to play it... so very bad.
And I truly hope that it'll live up to the hype, or at least just be amazingly amazing.
Valve, don't disappoint me, please~!

Hell. Yes. Now its taunting from my Steam library is that much worse...

Irridium:
I love these adverts. So delightful and charming.

HankMan:

http://instantrimshot.com/classic/?sound=crickets

I've been having a slow day.

Gigatoast:

castlewise:
Chell is the new Samus

Yup, and we all know what happened to the old Samus. *sniff* DAMN YOU TEAM NINJA!

Don't worry. I doubt Valve will ever do to her what Nintendo did to Samus. Who knows? Chell's fought off questionably organic supercomputers and already warped space time, she could well become the next great defender of the galaxy. Or the portals somehow created an alternate dimension that fused Portal and Metroid, and that's where Metroid Prime came from. (Explains the fact that it suddenly became an FPS, anyway...)

Anyway, this is by far my favorite of the videos so far, it works with the black humor fantastically well, I'm really glad we finally see Chell in one of the video ads, and THOSE BOOTS. I want a pair T_T Even if they don't work, they look awesome. And comfy.

HankMan:

http://instantyeah.org/

Anyway, that was pretty damn funny, probably the best "investment opportunity" trailer so far. I like how the robot just seems up the human remains in the beginning.

I'm still confused as to why boots help you when you smash your knee into the ground after a really long fall.

Wow... I dunno why I got hungry by just watching the video... *drools*

Still, i'm gonna wait until Valve puts Portal 2 on a sale by, say, next year... By that time, my PC is already upgraded. *kicks rudimentary PC*

Gigatoast:

castlewise:
Chell is the new Samus

Don't worry, she'll rise up from that shitty game better than ever! :D

OT: I love these little ad's they have made for the game so far, my co-worker and I love the turrent one the best. I love those little tiny people they have in the ad's doing stuff and the panels scooping the remains of the person into a fire.

That right there is the loophole in those "What would you do with a portal gun?" threads! I mean, you can jump off the Sears Towers and see just how far you can fling yourself, but you'll still make a big red splat on the ground without those boots!

Haha, never mind the poor splattered test subject. As long as the equipment is ok.

I love Valve. These have been some of the best trailers for a game I've ever seen. I can't wait 'til launch.

Loved that part with the panel sweeping the body away!

Oh sorry, *spoiler alert!* but come on, who reads these before watching the video anyway?

Damn, these adds are so funny. I'm gonna miss them. THey're really good.

Ya they definately made a good choice firing those advertising agencies and doing things themselves.

This is again awesome, like the other videos. I love Chell's new look and if the humour in the game is like in these videos then I won't be dissapointed.
And FINALLY pre-load for Portal 2. I can't wait for another week.

Cave Johnson is a really good spokesperson. He should do ads for other games as well. :D

Looking forward to Portal 2 so much. Idk what I'm more excited for, the Co-op or the single player.

Yay for Chell Exposition! I love the co-op bots but it was about time Chell got her limelight. Considering this is probably the last Aperture ad before game release, this makes me sad that they didn't do one for the SuperButton.
GlaDOS likes those buttons. No wonder she killed everyone.

Puddle Jumper:
Looks like those boots weren't made for walking

Those boots were made for AWESOME.

Between this and the concept art put out previously, this really makes me wonder...can we actually make boots that perform like that?
Gentlemen/ladies/bots....we have the technology. Let's do this!

HankMan:

*facepalm*

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or